viii: i like you

Bewilderment #1
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


Seokjin:

          He considered himself lucky. He was lucky enough to have a friend who was good at breaking things. Maybe not so lucky for his friend but lucky for him. Namjoon was supposed to have dropped Sooyoung off in the morning but had somehow managed to break the key to his car. Not wanting her to be late, he had offered to drive her back in time enough for her to go to her dorm and change before classes. Sooyoung had been hesitant at his solution but agreed.

 

The drive was quiet at first until he asked her about her interest. She talked most of the way there mentioning how she was debating about going into forensics, but her hobbies were to sing and occasionally dance. She just wasn’t sure if that was a career she would pursue. She then started asking him about what made him decide to be a doctor and how long until he was officially one. He answered every single one of her questions—even those questions about the human body that she was curious about.

 

If anything, by the end of the ride Seokjin had come to agree that her nickname Joy, really did fit her. It was hard for him to not just keep staring at her. She was beautiful no matter how he looked at her. No one could wipe the smile off his face. In the rush to leave, Sooyoung had left her hoodie. He parked his car and hurriedly had followed her to give her the article of clothing. She had embarrassingly accepted it back and apologized for being a burden to which he said she wasn’t but if she felt like she was one—she could make it up by allowing him to treat her to food. For a moment he thought she was going to decline but instead she smiled so big that her eyes turned into crescents as she agreed. “I would love to.”

 

That was how he came back to Namjoon's place, with a stupid grin plastered on his face. His friend was sitting on the couch going through some paperwork when he walked in. He had a knowing smile on his face.

 

“How was getting to know my cousin?”

 

“I can see why you all are fond of her and call her princess.”

 

“We are fond of her.” Namjoon sighed as he looked up wistfully. “She’s like the little sister I never had. I mean, she does have a younger sister who is studying abroad so I do have another cousin I adore. I’m just closest to Joy.”

 

“It’s a shame it took so long for us to meet.” Seokjin sat down beside his friend, feeling himself relax from not needing to do work.

 

“I mentioned you a lot to her. Told her how you’re one of my closest friends. So, she knows of you and she isn’t shy—as you can tell. Seeing that smile on your face makes me glad about having lied about my key.”

 

Seokjin opened his eyes and turned to Namjoon. He had ... lied?

 

“You lied?”

 

“I saw how you reacted when she came in last night. I also watched through the whole night how you couldn’t keep your eyes off her. I’m not dumb Jin, you like her. She’s the girl you saw on the streets. I’m fine with it. There once was a time that I had hoped you two would have met earlier and developed feelings for each other. It’s not that I still don’t wish that but there is Jungkook and…”

 

“Tae.” He finished for Namjoon.

 

The latter nodded, putting his files down to look at him. “In a sense there is nothing but friendship going on between them, but you may have noticed the dynamic between Joy and the rest of the guys and Tae completely changes. I know her—she has feelings for him. Me not knowing how exactly he feels about her is what worries me.”

 

“You had mentioned before that there seemed like there was something going on between them. Isn’t she his first love?”

 

Namjoon laughed. “Yeah, if he ever allowed himself to admit to even that. Tae is good at pushing his feelings away, but his jealousy always shows through. Did you know that he used to be pretty good friends with Joy's ex? The friendship started to fringe when they started dating and broke off completely once her ex broke her heart. Tae was jealous, even if he had a girlfriend of his own at that time. Part of me thinks that maybe he hasn’t come to terms with his feelings or maybe he is just so used to having her by his side that anyone who can take her away makes this new side come out. He’s sort of selfish in that form. But—don’t give up your feelings just for his sake. He’ll probably hurt her more than give her happiness.”

 

“She seemed happy to be around him yesterday.” Seokjin sighed. “They both did.”

 

“Are you talking about how he greeted her?” he nodded to his friend. “I think something happened yesterday. He came with Yoongi when the last time we all had seen him was weeks prior. They must have met somewhere. I wouldn’t read too much into it, like we said last night; Tae has a crush on a new girl. How do you think Jungkook has able to ask Joy on a date? He was distracted trying to say he didn’t like the girl and then he sees her and goes after her without saying a word. You came at the right time.”

 

He wasn’t sure how he felt about it. He still was conflicted about his feelings. In one part, he was aware of his attraction to Sooyoung. The more he saw her the more attracted he became to all sides of her. He knew that the more he would get to know her, the more he would end up falling for her. She was loveable. Everything about her spelled that she was a person who should be loved and is loved by many. Seeing how all his friends cherish her in different ways was telltale enough.

 

“I guess I did. I’m seeing her again for early dinner before her work.”

 

“Kim Seokjin, you beat even Jungkook on going on a date with Joy.”

 

Namjoon slapped his back playfully. He merely shrugged. He wouldn’t say that he beat Jungkook or that it was a date, he saw it more as a way to get to know her more. Make up for all the years he didn’t meet her.

 

“Just so you know, you did meet her briefly once before.”

 

“I did?” that shocked him.

 

“Yeah, she and Tae came to visit me. But on the way she tripped over someone’s bag. Tae did his best to catch her, but she still managed to sprain her ankle. We took her to the hospital where you were—to get it looked at and supported for a brace. You passed by us, but I guess you were really stressed that day.”

 

He could vaguely remember seeing Taehyung while in his second year of med school. By then they already had him shadowing a doctor. Yet he couldn’t recall seeing Joy. That memory was a blur like most of his days in med school. He must have turned a blind eye to meeting new people. He just remembered an important patient who had gotten out of her room and he had to drag back in. She had a lung condition and was on the donor list for a new lung. That’s when he realized something, Bae Joohyun was that patient. He knew her. That was why he had heard and read the name. Back then she was weak and fragile but he would constantly keep her company so she wouldn’t be lonely. He figured that if she were healthier and not as pale or always tired, that she would be even more pretty than she was in her sickly state. She was an overall very pretty woman he had to remind himself to never cross the line. He never got to see her get better because she was transferred hospitals when a match was found. He only studied her files after the successful surgery for follow-ups. There was no way that there would be two Bae Joohyun's out there.

 

“Hey, I think I know Bae Joohyun.”


 

 

⇤〜⑉⑅﹎⑅〜⑉⇥


 

 

Sooyoung:

“You have a date with a doctor? Was it that handsome man that dropped you off?”

 

Sooyoung gestured for Seulgi to quiet down. They were currently making their way out of their last class for the day. She o

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter