vii: irene

Bewilderment #1
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Taehyung:

             The sunlight was making its way through some of the branches. For the most part none of the rays was hitting his face. Today was a nice day with a slight breeze, countering the heat of the sun. Taehyung laid under the tree, lying down on the grass. His backpack served as a pillow to his head. His afternoon class was cancelled so he found a place to rest for that hour. He lifted his hand up, seeing the contrast of the shadows. Taking out his phone, he snapped a picture. The light that shone through the leaves and branches created a glow for his outstretched hand. He looked at the picture and was satisfied with it—posting it on his Instagram with one simple hashtag: light.

 

Placing his phone on his chest he closed his eyes and thought of the events that took place yesterday. He didn’t know how he was supposed to react. He witnessed a crime, was told to stay away from one of his best friends, tried to talk to said best friend but ended with an odd rift, and his crush contacted him through a DM. He never replied to her message. He didn’t know how. He was too preoccupied in thinking how he was supposed to avoid Joy without her growing suspicious of his behavior. He told his worries to Yoongi who simply said: “Just get a girlfriend again. You had no trouble avoiding her when you were dating Jisoo.”

 

Taehyung had almost punched the older friend. The fact that Jisoo hadn’t liked him being around Joy and that he listened to her was one of his biggest regrets. He was miserable then. Sure, he got the girl, but he didn’t have his friend to share his emotions with. Not talking to Joy was torture to him and now he had to do it again for her own good. He just couldn’t shake off everything. At least, he was able to be with her last night. Even if for the most part it felt like she didn’t want him anywhere near her.

 

Opening his eyes, he still couldn’t get over the fact that Jungkook had succeeded in asking Joy on a date. That whole evening, he made sure to keep Jungkook away. He could have her any other day but last night, he became even more possessive. Being overly clingy that even Jimin had sent him a text asking if he was making a move or just jealous. He never replied.

 

Taehyung still recalled how Namjoon introduced her to Jin and how the latter blushed at being called extremely handsome by the girl. Taehyung scowled at the memory of how she said he wasn’t more handsome than his friend. Although all he could focus on that evening other than having Joy constantly at his side as they watched the horror movie and having her fall asleep on his shoulder, were the stares Seokjin would throw to Joy every second he could.

 

Having Jungkook like Joy was one thing, the younger would soon get over his feelings because he knew Joy only saw him as a younger brother—or so he hoped. I wasn’t sure anymore. The way she would look at Jungkook was a look that she gives little children all the time. Taehyung prayed silently it stayed that way.

 

Having Jin like Joy was worrisome. Jin was the perfect man. He was handsome, smart, and caring. He still recalls the day that Namjoon came down to visit his senior year and had wistfully wished that Joy and Jin would meet and fall in love. That day Taehyung had felt so invisible. He had been there for Joy for everything and Namjoon never once said that he would like him for his precious cousin. Okay, so maybe not everything. Regardless, that day Hoseok called her princess, for the first time, and how each of them started to call her that. He did it out of mocking at first, but it soon became their term of endearment.

 

Jin didn’t have to say anything, Taehyung saw right through him and when they said goodbye—with Joy groggily clinging to Namjoon beside Jin—asking if she could stay over (which she did, they were all in a sense ers for her and could never say no) that he took notice of the gentle smile on Jin's face. He was also staying with Namjoon, not having a real place of his own since starting his residency. Taehyung saw it and when they made eye contact, he derived a conclusion. The girl Jin had seen on the street was Joy. He was smitten and had met her again in the same day. Thinking how his friend called it destiny made his stomach churn. However, like how Jin knew he lied about losing sight of Joohyun and nothing-eventful happening, he knew his friend’s secrets.

 

One thing he couldn’t place was why he disliked the idea of Joy and Jin so much. Even back, when Namjoon first jokingly said it, he disliked it. If he almost said my Joy to Jungkook — what would he do if he finds out the two, went on a date?

 

“Kim Taehyung?”

 

Taehyung snapped out of his reverie and sat up. Bae Joohyun had called his name. He was shocked, his mouth hanged open before he could reply. It was the first time he heard her speak. “Ye-yeah?”

 

“Hey, I’m Bae Joohyun. We have our classes together?”

 

“Oh, yeah.” Why were those the only words coming out of his mouth?

 

“I messaged you last night, but I guess you must have been busy.”

 

He looked as Joohyun placed hair behind her ear. She was so precise in her movements. “I did see it. I’m sorry I was, rather busy last night. You said you had a favor to ask of me?”

 

“Yes!” she exclaimed, and it seemed so out of character. “I mean, yes I did. I was wondering, I know this is odd considering this is the first time we’ve talked but I saw you posing for the art students and thought that maybe you would allow me to take pictures of you for our assignment. You know the one where we capture what we find beautiful.”

 

Taehyung let his mouth hang open. Joohyun was blushing in front of him and avoiding his stare. She wanted him as her model because she found him ... beautiful? She was blunter than he expected her to be. The campus was already calling her a man hater due to the cold looks she gives those around her—specifically men. He didn’t blame her. He understood considering girls used to chase him everywhere in high school. When he took long to reply she spoke again.

 

“If I was too forward, you don’t—"

 

“No, it’s okay. I was just taken aback. I’ll do it.” He interrupted her before she finished.

 

“Thank you so much! If you want I can, be yours?”

 

Her blush intensified. He could feel himself blush too, but he had already finished the assignment a long time ago. All he had to do was look through his pictures and he had them. They were all of Joy—again he paused and thought of her with Jin. He paused because he picked Joy as his subject without much of a thought. Considering the assignment was capturing something they found beautiful—an odd sort of feeling swirled inside of him.

 

“I … already finished my assignment but maybe you can help me with something in the future. Joohyun, right?”

 

“You can call me Irene. I go by that.”

 

“Then you can call me V.”

 

Joohyun or Irene smiled at him. He was amazed at how even more beautiful she looked smiling. “If you don’t mind me asking, is it that girl I always see you with that you photographed? I know it doesn’t have to be a person, but the professor did kind of imply he wanted not just scenery. She’s really pretty, so I figured maybe she was your model.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter