xxviii: love you

Bewilderment #1
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


Taehyung:

“How are you good at that? Did you lie and come here before? I swear we all had issues picking that up.”

 

Jimin was shouting behind him as he did a walkthrough of the VR that consisted of completing different tasks. They had just finished watching Hoseok freak out as he did his own. It wasn’t bad; it was almost easy but fun. He was somewhat glad that Jimin invited him. He was smiling as he kept going about his tasks but stopped when he remembered what Irene had done. He was worried at what else she would do.

 

Irene had been a good excuse to keep his distance from Joy. She always needed help in way or another and he knew most of the time it was her just wanting to be around him. He played along. He noticed her attempts, he never responded in hope she would clue in without him having to say anything. He had struggled with himself, sitting by his door knowing Joy was on the other side waiting for him to come home or open the door. He heard her whine and complain about how unfair he was being because he kissed her, filled her thoughts with him, and all she wanted was just to kiss him again. At that innocent comment she made with her whining voice, he almost, almost, opened the door.

 

It was past midnight when he heard her shuffling steps away—still complaining. He waited until he heard the elevator close and rushed down the stairs. Knowing Joy, she hadn’t called anyone to be with her as she walked home. He followed her from a safe distance. A distance that reassured she would be safe and she wouldn’t think someone was following her.

 

That night, it was torture. He didn’t sleep. The wedding was in a week. It stressed him out but his brain was on Joy 24/7. He felt like an looking at her texts and never replying. She had done absolutely nothing but made him want her even more. He needed to talk to Jin first. It was for his conscious and his heart not to feel as heavy anymore.

 

It was luck when he did run into her at the library and she was sleeping. Like always, she picked the most private of places to be in the library. Seeing Joy asleep warmed his heart and broke it. She looked exhausted. He hoped he wasn’t the cost of it. He sat in front of her, just watching her sleep with a gentle smile on his face. If he had had no willpower, he would have embraced her in that moment. He didn’t and took his time admiring her features as she let out small little sounds from her deep breathing.

 

“God, I love you so much.” He had mumbled it as he pulled the hair that fell in front of her face, back. He was an idiot for not coming to terms with it before and trying to deny the truth. He was in love with his best friend but he had been too much of a coward to do anything about it then. He wasn’t even sure if she felt the same way—even if she kissed him back.

 

He noted how she shivered, almost opening her eyes. He froze for a second, recalling how she can be a light sleeper. He didn’t care. He took his hoodie off and covered her with it. “Don’t walk home alone again, dummy.”

 

He left to a room where he could watch her after covering her and kissing the top of her head—stealing another kiss from her pouty lips. “You’re too beautiful, Soo. Just know that I love you.”

 

He stopped peeking as often when Seulgi and Yeri sat by her, waiting for her to wake up. That was the closest interaction they had in days. He spent too many of his days just staring from afar. He was starting to feel like a creep. He just couldn’t help it. Seeing her smile made him happy. She was happy and safe. I’ll make sure she can be happy and safe with me.

 

“Tae, you okay? You just stopped.”

 

Jungkook spoke beside him, making him jump, not realizing he had stopped going forward in the game. “Yeah, sorry.” he took off the head gear and faced his friends, giving them his boxy smile.

 

“I don’t think you’re fine. You don’t even come to the café as often anymore and when you do, it’s when princess isn’t there. Did you fight? Because you’re avoiding her again and boy...” Taehyung barely glanced towards Hoseok who smiled at him. “When will you tell her?”

 

“Tell her what?” he feigned ignorance.

 

“That you love her?” it was Jungkook, he had his eyes closed and was nodding. Taehyung just kept staring at him until he opened his eyes. “Come on Tae, you kissed the girl and can’t even tell her you are in love with her?”

 

“I’ve said it!” he proclaimed.

 

“Preferably when conscious.” Jimin sent the last teasing jab before the playful smile fell from his face as he looked at his phone. He looked at Taehyung. “Seulgi just said Joy locked herself in her room and is crying.”

 

Taehyung was blocking the jabs Hoseok was giving while asking when he kissed “princess” again. Jungkook was mumbling how it would be like to kiss Yerim, making the teasing turn to him. When Jimin spoke all three stopped. He pushed the other two away.

 

“Why?” he was worried.

 

“Seulgi only said Irene, happened.”

 

He felt his eyes narrow.

 

“Irene? How? You haven’t kissed her, have you?” Jungkook asked him.

 

“No. But she did kiss me before we came here. It was chaste and I pulled back right as I felt her lips on me. I told her. I told her I’m in love with Joy. What did she do?”

 

“I knew I didn’t really like her. She’s pretty but who does that?” Hoseok squatted on the ground, a pout as he looked up. “What could she have told princess?”

 

“That you two are dating and you only kissed her to make sure you did not have feelings for her.” Jimin showed them the long text Seulgi sent explaining what happened.

 

“She can’t believe that, can she?”

 

Taehyung looked at Jungkook. “She can. I know what she’s probably thinking. She’s thinking it’s true and that I did only kiss her for that because I’ve been avoiding her.”

 

He stumbled back when he felt a punch to the jaw from Jungkook who was beside him. He held his cheek and looked at him bewildered. Hoseok and Jimin held him back.

 

“Why the hell are you avoiding her?”

 

“The , Jungkook! At least let me finish.”

 

“There’s no good reason to avoid someone.”

 

“Tae doesn’t have a choice, Kook. He’s not like Yeri who’s avoiding you. He really can’t be seen with her.” Jimin spoke and sighed. “Yet, he still watches her from afar and I can see how much he just wants to be with her. He’s not Yeri but even then Yeri has her reasons.”

 

“No she doesn’t! She’s dating again and I wouldn’t care so much but she’s not dating me!” Jungkook shoved them away and he dropped on the ground. “I just want to tell her, I like her.”

 

Taehyung rubbed his jaw before squatting down to pat Jungkook on the shoulder. “She likes you but doesn’t think she can compare to Joy or believe you could like her after liking Joy. Give her time. She’s also embarrassed she didn’t listen to your warnings. She reads all your text as they arrive. You’ll break her resolve.”

 

“How do you know this?”

 

“They were pretty loud inside the library. I heard them and saw Yerim look at all your messages.” he puffed his chest up and smirked to Jungkook. “Also, my kiss compared to yours was far more superior.”

 

“Shut up!” Jungkook pushed him.

 

“Hey, I should be the one punching you for kissing Sooyoung.”

 

A gasp was heard from above them. Hoseok was covering his mouth. “Tae-Tae is serious. He called her Sooyoung and not Joy. Hold on, I have to record this triumphant day on my calendar.”

 

Rolling his eyes, he stood up and helped Jungkook up to his feet. He looked down at his watch. He had to go so he could meet with Jin at the time set. He turned to Jungkook. “Don’t give up on wooing Yerim. She’s more insecure than anything else. Also, do you guys think you can pay Sooyoung a visit?”

 

Hoseok saluted, Jimin nodded, Jungkook shrugged and said, “I guess.”

 

“Yeri’s there.”

 

“What the hell are we doing here? Come on! Joy needs us!” Jungkook yelled as he walked out.

 

“He’s so transparent. Now I’m going to have to get Seulgi to get her to go over. You off to see Jin?”

 

He nodded to Jimin. “Yeah, I’ll drop by later.”

 

“When she’s asleep so you can confess your endless love?” Hoseok joked, running after Jungkook.

 

Taehyung sighed, when he thought all was over he stopped being passive and now he knew his only options weren’t to stay away from Sooyoung. He could keep her safe by keeping others away. Yeah, he liked this a lot more.

 

 

⇤〜⑉⑅﹎⑅〜⑉⇥

 

 

The longer he waited the more anxious he became. He looked down at his watch and groaned. Not even three minutes had passed and he was psyching himself out thinking Jin would be mad and throw a punch at him for taking back his words. He was thinking of the worst-case scenarios, and how Jin could tell Sooyoung everything wrong with him and why if she were in her right mind, she would pick Jin over him. Making a frustrated sound, he grabbed his hair and pulled while shaking his head from side.

 

“Tae, you look like a psycho.”

 

He shot up when he heard Jin speak in front of him. The chair he was sitting on toppled over and he ran around to pick it up. Those who were near him saw everything, he saw how they got up, and left to sit somewhere father from them. He weakly smiled at them.

 

“You’re on edge.” Jin sat down, making him sit down. “Is someone following you?”

 

“What? No, Jin I’m—I’m psyching myself out.” he took a big breath on. “I came to talk to you about Sooyoung.”

 

Jin smiled, looking slightly more relaxed. “Okay, what about her?”

 

“Jin, you know how I asked you to be there for Sooyoung, to fill my void in a way?” he sheepishly asked, not looking at the older one until he didn’t hear a response.

 

“I remember. Tae, I don’t think anyone could fill a void to your spot. Especially not in her life, you’re her best friend. Right?” Jin smiled at him with a chuckle. “Your place is still there, I’m making a new place for myself.”

 

Taehyung felt himself grimace. He didn’t want Jin to have a bigger place than him but he also did not want to be unfair. “I mean, can you stop pursuing her?”

 

He said. He gripped his fist under the table while looking at Jin straight in the eyes so the latter knew he was being serious. Jin’s smile faltered, his lips coming close together in a serious expression, as he shook his head no. This was what he had been worried about.

 

“I really like her Tae and last I checked; you weren't really talking to her. I’m not going to take your spot. I don’t want that best friend spot in her life. I want to be more and your actions have confused her. How are things with the girl you like?”

 

Jin tried to change the subject but Taehyung sighed. “Jin, I love her. I’m in love with her and I don’t want to fight for her.”

 

“I thought she liked you too.”

 

“Not Irene.” he snapped. Was Jin purposely being this difficult? “I’m in love with Sooyoung. I’ve been in love with her for a really long time. When I told you to fill my void and be there for her—I was already aware of how much she meant to me. Watching you two grow closer irritated me. I wanted to punch you when I saw how close you held her at Hoseok’s rap battle. Jin, I love her and I’m asking you to back off.”

 

“You make it sound like I’m going to listen to you and give up.” Jin’s eyes were dark and more than mad Taehyung noticed he looked sad. “I expected this. When I first wanted to talk, I expect this kind of talk but you came in with a white flag, already giving up. But that’s the thing Tae, it didn’t matter if you left—you’re still there.”

 

Jin’s face went from annoyed to melancholy. Taehyung watched him closely. A shadow of a heart broken smile was on his lips and his eyes showed the pain.

 

“Jin?”

 

“Ironically enough, I love her too. I’m in love with her too but I know the moment she were to choose, it’d be you over me in a heartbeat. You’re so important to her. I’m not going to lie to you. I’ve kissed her and I don’t regret it. I only regret that she kissed me probably to forget you. I’m still going to try, until she tells me it’s you I’m going to try. I won’t stop you but I hope you understand why I’m not just going to bow down and let you through. You hurt her one more time and I’m beating the out of you.”

 

Taehyung didn’t exactly know how to react. Jin delivered his feelings with a smile on his face followed by one of his windshield wiper laughs. He knew Jin was being serious. He was also serious and he couldn’t really blame his older friend for falling for Sooyoung. It was hard not to be enchanted by her. He let a smile play on his lips, as he looked down, looking at his hands that were still held in tight fists. His knuckles were white from how strongly he was gripping them together.

 

“I don’t want there to be any bad blood between us.” he stretched his hands out and looked up with a smile towards Jin.

 

“Tae, I think you’re forgetting how much I like you as a friend. I may be in love with Joy but losing our friendship would be worse. Whomever she picks, I guess the loser will just have to deal with it. Could you, deal with it?”

 

The thought lingered on his mind. He would hate it. He would avoid seeing them together but if Sooyoung were happy, why would he ruin it? He nodded. If she picked Jin, it obviously meant Jin was better for her than he was and after everything, he wouldn’t blame Sooyoung for going to someone else. It wasn’t like she belonged to him anyway.

 

“If she’s happy, who am I to stop her?”

 

Jin faked a gasped and wiped at a fake tear. “My little Tae has grown up, but I do have a question for you, how well do you know Irene?”

 

“Not well enough. I know she knows you but acted as if she didn’t. I saw the recognition in your eyes and she has hospital visits. Jin, you know her, don’t you?”

 

“She was a patient once. Look, I don’t think it’s my place to tell you. Maybe she will tell you, some day. You are friends, right?”

 

“I think she wants to be more than friends.” he tried to choose his words carefully. “She may have, intentionally hurt Sooyoung. I rejected her and I guess she didn’t take it well.”

 

‘Do you want me to talk to her?” Jin volunteered but he shook his head.

 

“No. I need to talk to her.”

 

Taehyung stood up, feeling a weight be lifted from his shoulders. He had expected Jin to punch him and be less understanding but that wasn’t who Kim Seokjin was. Kim Seokjin always understood. Maybe it was how his friend reacted and how he showed he did care for Sooyoung, that Taehyung decided not to dwell on the fact Jin had indeed kissed Sooyoung as he had feared.

 

“I should go. I have ... things.” Taehyung wasn’t sure if it was a good idea to tell Jin he was going to see Sooyoung.

 

“I have ‘things’ too but you sound so serious.” Jin also stood up, pulling a reluctant him into a hug. “Tell Joy I say hi, Jimin texted saying for me to not keep you long. Just so you know I’m giving you a chance to step up your game because I am positive I am winning.”

 

Taehyung laughed, shaking his head at his confident friend before bidding goodbye and walking towards the exist. A smile was on his face. He finally felt things weren’t so out of his control. There was still so much going on that he did not know, but for once, he felt like he had a say. A choice.

 

The doors to the entrance of the hospital opened. He hadn’t expected to see her again but there she was, Irene. She was looking down at her phone until she faced forward, meeting his eyes. She smiled towards him, walking faster as he slow

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter