xxiii: warning

Bewilderment #1
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


Namjoon:

           He was looking through different police reports when the sound of a message received, rung. He reached for his phone to see who had messaged him. There was no message and then he remembered the phone he uses for his undercover job.

 

Namjoon opened his drawer and reached for the phone. He opened to read the message from an unknown number. He quirked a brow. Last night he had meet with Sejeong, yet again. She seemed to like him well enough and that was good for him. The message though, made him want to laugh because Sejeong didn’t seem to be the only one smitten by him but a certain high powered and in demand e showed interest as well. Jisoo had messaged him, asking to meet him in an hour. He looked down at his watch and the stack of papers in front of him. It only took a few seconds before he replied with a positive reply that he would meet her.

 

Something about Jisoo called to his attention. It felt like getting to know her while having her on his good side was the best thing they could possibly do at this moment.

 

He remembered the text he received from Joy the previous night. She asked if she could escape the country and if he could help. She was being over dramatic and so he replied with a negative on her idea and then sent Jin a message to talk to her. His oldest and closest friend seemed to be more exhausted than usually and he didn’t know why. He wasn’t sure how Jin would have the energy to take Joy out on an amusement park date in two days. Not when last night his friend crashed at his place with wanting to talk but falling asleep.

 

He needed time to not only talk to Jin but with Yoongi and Seungwan. It was time they all gathered again and looked at the mess that seemed to be entangled in all their lives and friends lives . . . for a while now. He couldn’t help but wonder how he somehow knew this would happen and whether it had been a good idea to keep Taehyung, in the dark.

 

 

⇤〜⑉⑅﹎⑅〜⑉⇥

 

 

Sooyoung:

The café was slowly getting more and more crowded. Sooyoung had been lucky enough to find a table that would fit four people. She was meant to meet with Seulgi yesterday and talk about Taeyong but after everything that happened; she ended up crying at the bottom of the apartment complex. Jimin happened to walk along and she told him everything about how she kissed Taehyung and how for a split second she felt like it was their normal but he then pretty much rejected her without even having a chance to confess.

 

After the movie watching, in where it seemed none of them paid much attention because they were all distracted by their own thoughts, Jungkook suggested going to a café to talk. The atmosphere in the apartment was too much and Jimin had to do something quickly. So, she ended up with Jungkook alone for a solid hour and they talked. It was nice. She found out a little more about him and the things they had in common. He had taken up boxing and she loved weight training. Both had this passion for exercise although he was much more active than she ever was.

 

She looked up when the door chimed, letting her know someone came in. It was not either Seulgi or Jimin. She was wondering what was taking them so long. However, she waved at Jungkook who was placing an order. He said he would pay since their dinner date fell through.

 

She did not know how he did it. An hour before the movie he had confessed properly but she rejected him as nicely as she could. There was no way she could lead him on with what had happened and knowing her own heart was broken but she turned to Jin after speaking with Jimin. Yet, there he was smiling and buying her a drink like nothing happened. Was he acting like that on purpose? Was it because she had been right? That maybe Jungkook had someone else he could possible like.

 

Jungkook came back with their drinks. She took hers and smiled as he sat across from her. “Jungkook, about earlier...”

 

His smile disappeared and he looked at her seriously. He probably was embarrassed; he had attempted to kiss her—properly this time—after they hugged but she turned away. That was when she apologized if she ever led him on to think that she saw him as more than just a friend did.

 

“Joy, I thought about what you said and how you felt bad about not being able to return my feelings. I understand. Just, give me some more time to get over you. Let me act as if nothing happened until I can fully let you go. It still stings, any rejection stings.”

 

Sooyoung gently nodded. There was nothing else she could do. He said what she would hope to say if she was rejected too—which she technically was. Still, she felt bad. She was not heartless but Jungkook deserved someone who could like him as much as he seemed to like her. He was a sweetheart, any one would be lucky to have him as a boyfriend but she just could not force her feelings. She saw how he treated Yeri that part of her wished the two of them would get together.

 

The atmosphere was a little weird after that; she was chewing at her lip. Trying to figure out how to start a conversation. Jungkook beat her to it.

 

“We’re still going to Hoseok’s rap battle together, right?”

 

Sooyoung almost jumped, grasping his hands. Remember how Hoseok also invited them and though she was in a sense going with Jin—she still said yes to going with Jungkook because after all she liked his company. “Of course. Jungkook you’re such a great person, I want us to remain friends.”

 

“Joy, if you keep doing things like these it makes it so much harder to move on. You give me hope.”

 

He was looking at their hands. She let go as if she had been burned, mumbling a sorry. The sound of the door chiming open was her saving grace. She looked up to see Jimin and Seulgi walking in. Jimin looked peeved about something. Actually, Jimin looked bothered about something the whole movie. Seulgi refused to sit by him so she and Jungkook ended up being between them. Then she would catch him stealing glances her way with this heartbroken expression. Had he talked to Taehyung? She actually did not want to know. If he had or had not. He could keep it to himself.

 

Jimin pushed past a couple ordering, Seulgi had to apologize for his sake. Jimin kept walking to their table and sitting next to her in a huff. She was about to ask but the look on Seulgi’s face let her know that they had argued before coming in together and it did not seem to blow over. Jimin did not look heartbroken—he just looked mad.

 

“Okay, let’s get this over with. I need to go over to Hobi’s place so I can help him practice.” Jimin spoke hurriedly while slapping his hand on the table.

 

“He said you didn’t have to go.” Seulgi countered in a rather timid voice.

 

“Well I want to go anyway!”

 

Sooyoung jumped at the outburst. Seulgi’s face scrunched up and before anyone knew what happened, she burst into tears. She saw red when she turned to him; grabbing a handful of his hair and pulling it back angrily with as much force as she could. How could he be so kind to her when she was in pain the previous day and now was making Seulgi cry? Jimin yelled out in pain, Jungkook seemed to be debating between helping Jimin or comforting Seulgi. He decided on the former when Jimin started yelling.

 

“Ow, ow, Joy let go! You’re going to make me bald!”

 

“You deserve it! How can you make her cry?! You have been frustrating her long enough. Get your together Jimin. She likes you; just stop being a about it and like her back dammit!”

 

Jungkook had managed to push her back and was looking at her shocked. He had never seen her angry side. Jimin was rubbing his scalp, glaring at her. At least Seulgi had stopped crying when she heard the outburst. She was watching Jimin timidly instead. Sooyoung huffed in a breath, pushing Jungkook’s hold off and crossed her arms.

 

“Yo-you don’t have t-to like me back.” stuttering, Seulgi wiped her tears. “I’m sorry if my feelings were ever a burden.”

 

Angrily, Sooyoung watched how Jimin finally stop rubbing his scalp and stared wide eyed at Seulgi’s words. It was as everything had shattered but she didn’t care. Some people had to start confessing their feelings, it was time for Jimin, and Seulgi to stop dancing circles, figuratively and literally, around each other.

 

“Seul, god no, your feelings have never been a burden but the moment that guy’s name popped up that’s all that has consumed your thoughts. I was jealous. I’ve seen him and I know he’s attractive. How do you expect me to believe you like me when you have a past with him?”

 

There was a grumble from Jungkook saying he wasn’t that attractive and didn’t get what people saw in him. She rather agreed with his sentiment—because he knew who Lee Taeyong really was.

 

“Because you’re ten times better than him. His looks are all he has going for him. I was afraid to get close to any boy after him. But I wanted to get close to you.” Seulgi was biting her lip, silent tears leaving her eyes. “I really like you, Jimin. I like you a lot.”

 

Jungkook’s eyes kept shifting back and forth between the couple once he was back in his original seat besides Seulgi. Seulgi was staring at her hands and Jimin’s mouth kept opening and closing with words he could not find. She was the only one who could not care less about her friend’s internal struggle. She did not need any more people who didn’t get to express their feelings. She didn’t need any more of her going around. Annoyed she burst out his biggest secret, earning a hard shove from Jimin.

 

“Jimin’s had a crush on you since you asked him to join the dance club and he declined.”

 

“Joy’s in love with Taehyung!” Jimin burst—glaring her down.

 

She spun to the side. He was smirking and if she had reacted differently, she could have played it off but her reaction gave it away. It was a mixture of embarrassment and heartache because she recalled the night before. Seulgi already knew. She cared about Jungkook’s expression. Turning to him, she watched him look back at her with a shrug.

 

“It’s no surprise. I’d be an idiot—which Taehyung is—to not notice how you look at him, Joy.”

 

She scowled, embarrassed.

 

“Fine, yes I like you Seulgi. I like you so much I think I’ve fallen in love with you but I never knew how to tell you. I’m not as close to any other girl besides Joy—just you and Joy.”

 

Sooyoung watched Seulgi break into a wide smile as her cheeks flushed, shifting her eyes to Jimin she saw him covering his face. His red ears were a telltale sign of his embarrassment.

 

“At least something good came out of this. Why am I here?” Jungkook was sipping his Americano while leaning back on the chair with his leg across the other. He seemed too casual for what just took place. “Oh, hey let’s switch spots.”

 

He stood and made Jimin stand so he would sit next to Seulgi. The two were excessively shy in front of her, she wanted to look away but couldn’t.

 

“Jungkook has a point; we should talk about why we’re here.”

 

“It’s about Lee Taeyong.” Seulgi started, shaking her head at Jimin and grabbing his hand. “This is really hard for me to say but I don’t want something similar to happen to Yeri.”

 

“I finally get to learn about that bastard? He made her cry again and now she won’t even tell me where she is.”

 

“Seulgi knows Taeyong from high school. He’s always been this sort of playboy. If he sees something he likes, he wants it right away. Once he gets it, he tosses it aside. Like a child bored with it. The worst is no one believes it and he tells all the male population how the girl performs or under performs in bed. If she gives it up too easily, she is a . If she gives it up too slow, she is a prude. No one wins but him. He had a list but I got it taken down by the dean of the school.” Sooyoung elaborated longer on what Seulgi would have said.

 

She knew it was hard for Seulgi to speak about the past and her traumatic event. The fact that she was being open about it to Jimin; let her know that her friend really did care for the boy she grew up with.

 

“Wait, Seulgi were you on that list?” Jimin inquired, touching the girl’s shoulder to get her to look at him.

 

“He was so sweet when he tried to woo me. I was reluctant about it. I had heard the rumors. I was young and a boy was pursuing me. I told myself I could change him. He didn’t. When we first started dating, he was still sweet as ever. Bringing me flowers. I didn’t start dating him until we were in college. I was oblivious to the fact that behind my back he was with other girls.”

 

“He’s worse than any other man I’ve ever heard of. This was before I was roommates with Seulgi. I only met her after the fact of what he did. He was even part of the dance club.”

 

There was a pause, so that everything said could be processed. Jungkook was the first to speak up—a tinge on anxiety in his tone. “What ended up happening?”

 

“I found out I couldn’t change him. He was after one thing and one thing alone. He became so manipulative and demanding. It scared me. We didn’t even last a month before I broke up with him. He did not like that, until one day he cornered me on the way home and he...”

 

Sooyoung gulped, she knew what happened and Seulgi didn’t get any justice from what had happened to her. No one believed her. Taeyong’s grandfather was one of the chairs of trustee for the university. Seulgi was seen as a liar and blamed for it all. With the phrases “she probably seduced him” and “she must have been wearing provocative clothing.”

 

Jimin put two and two together when Seulgi stopped talking and started to cry again. He did his best to comfort her, bringing her into his arms as she cried. Whispered words of comfort could be heard as he caressed her hair. Jungkook was the only one who spoke about what had happened, his voice getting angrier.

 

“He used force, didn’t he? He took advantage of you and he’s planning on doing that to Yeri isn’t he?”

 

“Kookie, I don’t want this to happen to Yeri. She’s too young to be traumatized. She should never have to experience it. He’ll ruin her.” Seulgi found her voice again.

 

“I think he still has a list. For months, I couldn’t understand why the male population around us would always stare at Seulgi as if they knew some secret. I found out later what he put under her name. He said, ‘makes you work for it but worth it’.”

 

Jungkook pushed his chair away from the table and stood up. His hands were in fists. He smiled at them all, his usual happy smile but it held a scary aura behind it.

 

“Excuse, I have a pretty face to punch.”

 

He was gone before any of them could ask. Sooyoung turned to see Seulgi smiling at Jungkook’s retreating figure. Jimin seemed to be holding in his want to punch something.

 

“I’m going to kill him when I see him.”

 

“Yeah, you’ll get suspended. Don’t underestimate his power.” Sooyoung pointed out to him.

 

“How did you get the list taken down then?”

 

“Don’t underestimate the power of Taehyung’s father when the girl he has a soft spot asks for a favor.” Seulgi replied, throwing her a teasing glance.

 

She blushed—but shook her head no. She had forgotten that she asked Taehyung for help on it all. He was not willing to help until she made a point to flirt with Taeyong in front of him. He was not happy and she lied saying he had approached her and if he did not get the list taken down, she could end up on it too because he was persistent.

 

Not only did he get his father’s help but also he threatened Taeyong. She never saw him around her. Even when they were in the same place, he avoided her. She only wished to know what Taehyung had told him or done to him because Taeyong still reacted with fear in his eyes whenever Taehyung’s name was mentioned.

 

“Thanks Joy, for having Taehyung always be your knight in shining armor.” Jimin teased but she gave him a look.

 

“He told me he could not be seen with me because he likes Irene and I am ruining his chances.” she gazed at them and saw how Seulgi pouted at her. Jimin leaned forward and grasped her hands.

 

“Hey, so I will always stick up for you and I did but—I want you to not give up and properly let your feelings be known. You’d be surprised by what you may find out. I’m here for you Joy. Just, follow what you want.”

 

“I want Tae but he wants Irene. I’m going to leave. You guys can have a date now. At least you guys aren’t like me and Taehyung. Hopefully Jungkook and Yeri realize they like each other soon.”

 

Sooyoung stood up, waved goodbye and walked out of the café. Outside the café, she did not feel like being lonely. She decided to call Jin. Even if he could not be there, she could visit him. Tomorrow they had a date but suddenly she missed him a lot.




 

⇤〜⑉⑅﹎⑅〜⑉⇥


 

Yerim:

JungSHOOK
Where r u?
I have ??????

SquirtleRim
The number you are messaging
is currently out of service.
Please try again NEVER!

JungSHOOK
I’m hurt! I thought we were friends.
‘tis good
u left ur location on in
Snapchat.
I gotchu~😏
 

 

His reply was sent fifteen minutes ago. Yerim groaned as she put her phone down. She should have checked her Snapchat. Her groan was not because she was still mad at Jungkook in anyway, how could she be mad at him? Every time she looked at the dried, squished daisies, in her book she was reminded as to why she could not be mad, ever be mad at him. However, after the previous night events she told herself to keep a greater distance from him. Not for Taeyong—no for the better of her own heart.

 

Besides, last she checked he had a sort of double date with Joy. It made no sense for him to be texting her when she knew he would be on a date. It was a great reminder to herself that Jungkook liked Joy and she obviously has feelings for Taeyong. Obviously. Yet, there he was popping up again. Wasn’t he the one to not go to dinner with Joy to make sure she stopped crying and then took her home? So, why was he bothering her now? Was it really a question or did he enjoy seeing her riled up?

 

“Yeri, you okay? You’ve been drumming your fingers and biting your lips after the last text you got.”

 

She almost forgot that Taeyong was in front of her. She had planned on going to the bookstore and have some “me” time but he found her. They were currently sitting across each other. He apologized for how he reacted yesterday when she and Jungkook were working on their homework. He was making a move to reach for her phone but she pulled it back with a chuckle.

 

“It’s nothing.” she lied and saw the way his eyes darkened.

 

Taeyong’s smiled faltered after his eyes started to intimidate her. “Is it Jungkook again? He’s really starting to irritate me. If he likes Joy, why does he bother you and why do you always reply? Do you not like me, anymore?”

 

“What? No. I do like you. A lot, he’s just a classmate and I guess friend. Nothing more, I swear. Honestly, there is nothing going on. He just annoys me from time to time with homework questions. That is all.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter