xxv: secrets

Bewilderment #1
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

           

           The drumming of fingers on a desk filled the room that was otherwise silent. No one dared to tell the young man to stop, even if it was starting to irritate. His patience was running short. Their informant was supposed to be there. The drumming only increased in pace until he slammed both his hands down. The whole weeks prior, he would see him hanging around and today—when he was needed the most, he was late? His patience had disappeared that very moment. Oh, how he would murder the man if he did not need him.

 

Those beside him jumped when he slammed his hands down. If you were to look at his face, he kept a cool, stoic look. His eyes, almost as if he was bored. Underneath that expression, was a man whose temper was about to explode. Luckily, for everyone at the table, the doors opened up.

 

A man, who was a little older than the one in charge, came in with a smug look on his face. He wasn’t scared. The only time he had ever feared for his life was when he first captured the “lost” girl, deciding that he liked what he saw and wanted a taste before turning her in for his reward. He had not anticipated almost dying that day, leaving him with permanent brain damage, almost useless to the man in front of him. He wasn’t, he could at least recall her name and some features that would be useful.

 

“What do you have?” the man, Sehun, drawled, his bored tone masking the anger.

 

“I helped narrow it down from your search of hundreds, to these nine.” he threw a stack of pictures to the man who leaned forward to look at them all.

 

He did not recognize any of them, but he also had not seen his supposed betrothed, since she was five years old and he was nine. This was a better start than trying to locate a certain Kim Taehyung, who was the answer to their questions but guarded like no other. Whatever information he wanted of Kim Taehyung, there was none. Sehun was starting to get irritated just hearing the name be spoken. The eyesore who was Sejeong’s supposed to be husband.

 

“You’re still pretty useless. Not being able to identify one person you almost deflowered?”

 

Dohwan for the first time, felt scared in front of the man. No one was supposed to touch what was his. Even if she didn’t know it. However, he had known and wanted a taste of a forbidden fruit. He stepped back; he didn’t need to stick around. Bowing he made to excuse himself but stopped before he was out the door by the man. Dohwan was no idiot and he knew that Sehun even allowing him to look for Park Sooyoung was nothing short of a miracle, considering his past.

 

“I have another assignment for you.” Dohwan his heel, anticipating the next words. “There’s this little bird who is hiding something and I know she is, but she kind of hates me and ignores me the majority of the time. Even though I technically own her by now.”

 

“Do I get a name on who this bird is?”

 

Sehun smiled, a smile that made everyone in the room feel shivers go up their spine. “Our little Bae Joohyun.”

 

 

⇤〜⑉⑅﹎⑅〜⑉⇥

 

 

Seungwan:

Park Sooyoung, she knew about Park Sooyoung more than she wanted to admit to knowing. Not just her acquaintance Joy who Kim Seokjin was in love with, nope. She knew her first as Park Sooyoung.

 

Making her way down the alley into the red-lit door, she knocked the specific patter before being let in. Seungwan would have been scared, had it been her first time being there. She walked past the dancing bodies and bar before taking the stairs to the third floor, reaching the second room on the right. She didn’t bother knocking. She was mad and annoyed. Both of them didn’t notice and let something slip through their fingers that could have been avoided. Unless, they knew and purposely let it happen. She did her part, why didn’t they do theirs? Did they just forget about how dangerous this one little thing could be?

 

Barging in, she coughed at the heavy smoke covering the room. He was smoking again. Her steps took her to the cigarette in his mouth to put it out and then opening the window. The night breeze helped clear the room, they were alone like she expected.

 

“Wendy, you don’t have to play nurse 24/7.”

 

“You also don’t have to smoke your life away, Suga.”

 

“This is why I hate being together with you two. The moment I leave I know your bickering will turn into .”

 

Seungwan turned to the voice who was casually swirling his drink. “Well RM, how’s life, lying to Taehyung? Also, really Jisoo? You got lured into her bed? I guess it’s good because now Sehun won’t murder you for pursuing Sejeong.”

 

Namjoon glared at her. Unlike the other two with her, she wasn’t living a double life. She was more than irritated but the moment Yoongi had stood up and wrapped his arm around her waist; she almost melted at the touch. She hated how submissive she was to him and the smirk on his lips showed he knew. He had to stop visiting her at the hospital. She was sure one day Jin would catch on.

 

“Relax baby, you’re just stressed.” Yoongi had pulled her onto his lap, every so often leaving kisses on her neck. She tried to push him away but failed.

 

“I’m not lying to him, Wendy. He just doesn’t know I’m also part of the investigation and if you think about it, it’s his own fault for not talking to me.”

 

“When are you going to tell him? When will you just tell him that he meeting Joy was not a coincidence and how you are not even her cousin? You’re literally his cousin! Not hers!”

 

Son Seungwan got involved in the lives of Min Yoongi and Kim Namjoon when she decided to help the bleeding boy with mint colored hair. She did not know that when she did her life would end up almost being lost. She had walked right into a turf battle from the underground gangs. Just to save that one boy, whose eyes intrigued her and beckoned her in. Yoongi no longer had mint hair but being part of that shooting made him pursue a law degree. He wanted to end the corrupt world that took some of his family members.

 

Kim Namjoon knew more than all of them. He practically grew up in the underground world. His father was also a police officer that was undercover. When Park Youngwon wanted to keep his only granddaughter from his legitimate daughter safe, he sought Namjoon’s father for help. He entrusted Park Sooyoung under his care. Except, his father was found out. Luckily, for them, Kim Dongwan, the younger brother of Namjoon’s father, took her in by helping the couple with their own child that volunteered to take care of her and had connections with Park to relocate to Jeju Island. That was until she was almost located and Dongwan had them move next door to keep an extra eye on them.

 

Namjoon knew everything but because he was studying to be in the police force, he wasn’t able to keep an eye on Sooyoung as he was supposed to, by pretending to be her cousin. Yoongi knew the truth, after almost dying, and since he knew, he kept an extra eye on Sooyoung. They all knew the person that could keep her the safest, was Taehyung. Joy had always been safest with Taehyung. Sungjae just ruined the plan by running his mouth and then Kim Sejeong’s parents came out with the news—their daughter was actually promised to the owner of Daegu and Busan lands, a new boss no one knew but was also a Kim. They weren’t even sure if it was Taehyung but Sungjae thought it was and now everyone else did too.

 

“I can’t tell him now. He was supposed to always be by her side but now that they’re connected together, she’ll be found out and we can’t have that. Oh’s on the move. Yoongi told me about how Dohwan showed up and now Jimin knows part of what is going on.” Namjoon sighed. He looked a lot more tired these days.

 

“Well, I don’t have good news and I don’t know how it managed to escaped both of you guys.” Seungwan managed to get out of Yoongi’s hold for a few seconds before she was pulled back and she dropped down on his lap, this time she felt his need for her. Ignoring it, she continued. “Didn’t Seokjin tell you about Bae Joohyun, RM? What about you, Suga? Didn’t the Bae’s have dinner with Park a few months back?”

 

They always used their undercover names whenever they met in a more public place. She loved being a nurse but she had followed Yoongi into the police force and she too was undercover. Her target had been Bae Joohyun, a daughter of the second underground gang that joined forces with the Oh’s. Oh Sehun, the ruthless leader that was adamant in finding Park Sooyoung, his betrothed. Something she found completely and utterly stupid but there was a need for peace between the Oh’s and Park’s.

 

Park was just a pawn in their game because he did own some hotels and casinos, outside of Korea. Having had Sooyoung be on her own and always next to a Kim, was the safest she could be. That was until she was almost taken from them, had Taehyung not reacted so quickly and noticed something going amiss. Again, Seungwan was certain Taehyung was the only one who could fully keep Sooyoung safe. No one else could. He would risk his life for her without a second thought. The radar that Taehyung had when it involved Sooyoung was something they could never have, not unless they were Kim Taehyung. His radar was more than worry of a friend. She knew it was far more and even though she wanted happiness for Jin, his appearance had strained that bond that Taehyung and Sooyoung had. She also knew Kim Dongwan also had a soft spot for the girl and would let nothing happen to her. She was as much a part of Taehyung’s family as her own faux family.

 

“Whoever fed Sungjae that information should be gone.” Yoongi hissed making her jump when he bit her ear. He was needy and doing a good job at making her hot as he rubbed circle around her hip. “Do you know how sad it was to tell Tae he needs to stay away from the person he loves? It was horrible.”

 

“Son of a , he finally admitted it?” Namjoon almost dropped his drink. “Damn, then I really should have introduced Seokjin to Joy earlier.”

 

“I forgot you’ve been busy. Nah, Tae remembered everything on his own and I guess jealousy did help in that.”

 

“Hello, are we ignoring the fact Irene is interested in him? You both know what could happen if Taehyung gets hurt: a blood bath. She is also indebted to Sehun. Even with Taehyung away from Joy, they’ll find her due to Irene’s connection to both of them.”

 

“Well, then why should we worry about Bae Joohyun? We know she likes Tae, which is why Tae and Joy are fighting. Did you not hear? But it works. Joy sought out Seokjin and you know how hospitals are off limits. So, she is safe. Granted, never as safe as with Tae but safe.”

 

Seungwan was getting tired of Yoongi’s petting. She shoved him away and sat by Namjoon, knowing that there was no way he would do such a thing when she clung to Namjoon’s side.

 

“Do you even know why I’m here? Dohwan has a list of nine names and this afternoon they were given to Sehun.” she watched Namjoon run a hand over his face.

 

“Irene?”

 

“She shouldn’t know anything. Her parents don’t want her to be part of anything and she ignores Sehun as much as she can. That’s what Chanyeol told me when I asked him to look her up. I am not dumb, Wendy. The moment I found out Irene was the girl Taehyung had stupidly followed to the site; I had her looked into more. And yes, I do remember having met her at a dinner but she didn’t even speak.” Yoongi answered, about to take out another cigarette until she glared at him. “Besides, as long as she calls him V, we’re fine. As for now, I need him to stay away.”

 

The laws, she recalled the laws of the underground world. She also recalled as to why the underground world was so intricate.

 

The underground gangs had few rules and one was to not mess with hospitals and doctors. It was unspoken that if they targeted a doctor, it meant one less person to keep them safe when one of their powerful men got hurt. It would be easy to pay a few but the greedy doctors could easily change sides if more money was involved. Ultimately, they lost men and those that could save their lives. Due to Jin having helped Irene when she was sick, his name was on the list of doctors one should never contact or mess with. The Bae’s would do anything to keep him safe. However, Oh Sehun was in charge now since his father was murdered, he was ruthless, and he wanted his supposed wife dead or alive.

 

Seungwan sighed and took a drink from the whiskey bottle in front. Yoongi raised his brow at her in an amused way. She thought back to how intricate and hard to keep up this world they were looking into, was. How did Namjoon do it? How did he keep up and why did he stay after he knew what had happened to his father?

 

The Park’s were owners of the hotels and casinos in Busan. Their property slowly grew and went into Daegu as well. Park started clean as everyone else but slowly fell trap into the world of easy money and law ignoring. Casinos aren’t even allowed so to everyone else he was a conglomerate of a hotel chain.

 

The Bae’s owned a small business that worked with outer gangs—they didn’t have a name or an area, they just were there. They were close to the Oh’s and since the Oh’s came to power, the Bae’s did as well. As far as she knew, Irene’s parents lived in Daegu.

 

The Oh’s ran a drug cartel. They were new when it came to the underground world. They took the spot once previously owned by the Kwon’s. The Kwon’s having fallen from power when their sole heir migrated to Japan for far too long. Their disguise was as owners of an insurance company in Seoul. They owned Seoul, the biggest land other than Busan and Daegu. They worked with others to circulate the drugs and out of every clan; they had the closest relationship with the yakuza and the Chinese triad. Due to their connections, they also had control over weaponry.

 

The Lee’s were known for their ion rings and the ones who you call to do the dirty work. They owned district buildings all over Korea and had no specific group they answered to. They stayed out of the turf wars-—until one of Oh’s men shamelessly shot down the supposed heir, Lee Taemin. Taemin survived but had to leave the country and hid in what was later found out to be Japan. They owned all of Seoul when it came to ion. However, Taemin came back with Byun Baekhyun whose family owned the ion rings in Busan—a treaty signed. Something Oh did not know and currently the Lee’s had the most power. If Kim Sejeong, Lee Taemin’s adopted sister, married a Kim—it was over for all of them.

 

The Choi’s, like the Kwon’s slowly fell out of power. They had their own set of organized crime in the southwestern side of South Korea, mainly dealing in arms before the Oh’s took that away with their bigger territory. Out of all their children, none of them wanted to continue the family legacy, having their reign and power slowly dwindle. From what they had gathered, Taemin was close friends with the youngest son of the Choi’s. If all came to worst, the Lee’s could easily awaken the Choi’s power. Just because they didn’t do that many dealings, it did not mean they were entirely gone.

 

The Kim’s, no one knew about them. It was just a name thrown out. The closest people to work with the Park’s. The Kim’s did not need anyone because they owned a little of everything. They had their hands in gambling, ion, drugs, and were rumor of having personal politicians to do their will and police officers as well. The only thing, they weren’t around. They disappeared from the face of the earth—after they managed to call Jeju theirs. The most land owned as far as was known, was by the Kim’s. When it came to the turf wars, the Kim’s were winning and yet no one could find them.

 

Seungwan always noted how Namjoon’s name was Kim. As was Taehyung’s and Seokjin’s. She did not think it was a coincidence that Taehyung’s name popped up. It was there for a reason but she was sure Kim Dongwan was not corrupt. Or so she hoped—considering he owned businesses across Korea and the globe. He also backed many political parties. Namjoon’s father was also a cop ... who all his life had worked investigating a way to bring this world down and yet managed to make a friendship with Park. Seungwan had reasons for her doubt and she wondered—which of the three was the heir to the Kim’s and the boss who could easily overthrow Sehun. Something told her it was one of them. Kim Dongwan had too much power and one hair of his son’s head being touched, meant blood.

 

Namjoon stood up, drinking the last of his drink. “I should go. I need to stake out the place Dohwan has been seen lately. It’s a club, mainly a young kid affair but you know that’s the perfect place to get new recruits.”

 

“If only she wasn’t the underground ‘princess’ everyone talks about.” Yoongi stood up as well, but for other reasons that made her want to hide. “Will inherit everything her granddaddy will leave behind. Along with his debt to the world of crime. I swear something so innocent like her in that world would break her.”

 

“Not only her, but Tae and Jin as well. Especially Tae. He could be the reason an all right war breaks up, if he finds out something happened to her. The number he did on Dohwan is nothing to what he could do with the man power behind his back.” Namjoon smiled at the thought. “I’d actually like to see that.”

 

Once again, she questioned why gangs would do Kim Dongwan’s will.

 

“I don’t. Too many innocent people will die.” she chimed in.

 

“Then Oh Sehun needs to stop being a greedy bastard. Anyway, I have a date with Sejeong.”

 

With that comment, he wa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter