ix: oh, i see

Bewilderment #1
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


Sooyoung:

            It was a rather slow day, and she was given a much earlier shift that day. It had worked out for her. She was leaning against the counter—bored due to the slowness of the day. The few customers that were there wouldn't even spare her a glance as she pouted and made noises with . Everything was clean. Nothing had to be made. She was being paid to people watch.

 

Sooyoung only picked up the early shift because she had to go and do a chemistry lab later with her lab partner Daniel. He didn't have much time earlier. She agreed and traded shifts with another worker—Moonbyul. However, no one told her she would be this bored.

 

She started to draw circles on the countertop. It had been at least two days since Jin confessed his feelings for her. At first—she didn't really know how to react and thought he was just joking with her. He had been very serious, and she realized that when he talked with Jimin while she and Hoseok worked. He walked her home and again said that he really did like her and maybe he was being too forward, but it was the truth. It was all new to her. She hadn't been confessed to so directly and determined—ever. Her relationship with Sungjae was a slow start and she wasn't sure who initially confessed but by then they had been friends for a good couple of months.

 

Jungkook's confession seemed like more of a schoolboy crush than anything else. The way Jin said it and looked at her—it felt different. Every night they would spend some time together. Every night she grew to like him as a person more and more. In fact, she loved the attention he gave her. It was a nice change to be treated with kindness and boldness and not being confused. Jin was bold. He would grab her hand when they would walk down the street as he walks her home. Not ashamed of it one bit and teasing her for her red face. If they were seated by each other—he would scoot his chair close and always drape his arm behind her. These were things she was used to Taehyung doing. But unlike with Taehyung when she didn't know what he felt—she knew exactly why Jin did it and something about it made her heart skip a beat.

 

The moment Taehyung entered her mind, she pouted. He hadn't been to the café for the past three days. The last time she had actually seen him was when she walked out of the restaurant with Jin. Had something she said when they talked, offended him?

 

From what Jin would say, he seemed to be spending more time with Joohyun. That didn't surprise her. Although, her heart did hurt with a reminder of how things had been when he was dating Jisoo. She had lost her close friend and it was like a repeat all over again. She bit her lip to try to stop the tears from welling up. The more she thought about it—she really only was there to fill a void until he found someone he liked. Now, she didn't need to fill a void and so her friend was gone. It made her sadder knowing, that her birthday was coming up.

 

"Hey, princess. You seem bored."

 

Sooyoung blinked away the mistiness of her eyes and smiled at Hoseok who came in. "Hey Hobi, how was the dance studio?"

 

"It was good. But I wasn't there only. I was meeting with my friends. I'm entering a rap competition soon."

 

Hoseok was a very talented person and she always wondered why he decided to forgo going to school but she didn't question it. He seemed to be doing well on his own. He owns a dance studio and gets enough money from that. Working at the café was more of a way to see all his friends and for extra cash so life budgeting wouldn't be so tight.

 

"I want to come. Whenever it is, you have your competition. It should be fun."

 

"I'm sure if we beg Namjoon, he'll let you come. It's at a club." She rolled her eyes at that. "Hey, is something going on with you and Taetae?"

 

Sooyoung perked at the question. "Why?"

 

"He came in yesterday; an hour after your shift ended and just sat editing in the corner. I asked him where he had been, and he said he was busy. But he asked about you. I found it odd—considering it's usually the other way around."

 

"He's been spending more time with the new girl, Joohyun." She paused, glancing to Hoseok and knowing exactly what face he would make. She was right. He was looking at her with worry. "I haven't really noticed though. I've been busy with school projects and spending time with Jin."

 

She knew it was useless to lie. He would read her like a book, and he did. "You didn't confess, did you? That night when you met Jin. I could tell how you didn't want to be near him even though all he wanted was your attention. You should have seen his smug look when you fell asleep on his shoulder."

 

"I didn't confess. There was no need to, Hobi. I'm just a friend. I'm a sister to him. His words." Her lip involuntarily quivered. The back door opened and Moonbyul came out. It was her escape. She took off her apron and heard Hoseok mutter under his breath "that " as she passed. He stopped her before she went through the back.

 

"Princess don't let this be a repeat of before. If you're not going to confess and he's going to leave you for a girl. Put you first. He has no right to forget you and if you are like a sister, it is even more right for him to talk to you. It's on him, not you. Besides, I like either Jin or Jungkook for you—although I think Jin may be better at making your heart waver."

 

Hoseok let go after he threw a wink and said bye. She flushed and managed to say bye to Moonbyul. The whole walk back to the chemistry lab was filled with the words Hoseok said. They were true. Taehyung hadn't even texted her. It was as if she didn't exist and yet he would ask about her. It made her angry. But more than anything—it made her sad. She was passing by the courtyard and heard a laugh. Sooyoung followed it and saw the man who had been occupying her thoughts sitting on a bench—laughing with Joohyun. The latter—was so beautiful. She never saw them together after that day and now she could see how visually stunning they were. Joohyun seemed delicate and graceful but also strong in her own way. She could see why Taehyung liked her. He always liked the very pretty girls. Being handsome worked towards his advantage for his taste in girls. At least, she figured he liked the pretty girls from his past crushes.

 

Sooyoung hurried her steps, not wanting to be seen. When the science building came into view, it was a relief. By the doors was Jungkook who was waving enthusiastically to her.

 

"Joy! Are you and Daniel also going to be doing the assignment now?" he asked once she was near enough. Their steps falling in unison.

 

"Yes. Are you and Yerim?"

 

"Yep. She is running a little late though. Her best friends came to visit her, and she is with them. I told her it was okay."

 

"Y

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter