xi: fools

Bewilderment #1
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Sooyoung:

           “Tomorrow’s my last free day. Can I take you to the Han River?” Jin was at the door, grasping both her hands in his as he was saying goodbye. Namjoon wasn't far off with Yoongi and Seungwan, waiting for him.

 

“Yes, I’m not going to lie but not spending time with you is going to be weird.”

 

He laughed joyfully, cupping her cheeks. “You can always text me and whenever I can, I’ll make time to see you. I’m not giving up this easily Joy. You haven’t fallen for me yet.”

 

She felt her face heating up and her ears burning. Jin stepped back and waved—satisfied with leaving her flustered. Her heart was beating too fast. She had spent almost every day this week with Jin—one way or another. She hadn’t lied that it would be weird without him around. He had literally taken the place Taehyung had left vacant. It was a little past two in the morning when the movie ended and everyone started to leave. Hoseok was the first to go with Jimin, taking a drunk Jungkook who had clung to her leg and professed his love—it was cute seeing him drunk and pouting. He didn’t let go until Taehyung shoved him away from her. It was all rather comical.

 

Stopping, she just recalled not having seen Taehyung leave. She walked back to the doorway and looked to the left. Sooyoung nearly jumped at seeing Taehyung leaning against the doorframe with his arms crossed, staring at her with a soft look on his face.

 

“For a moment there, I thought you forgot I existed.” He uncrossed his arms, grabbing a hold of her hand and pulling her closer—her back against the wall as he stood in front—slightly leaning.

 

“For a moment there I almost did. You’re not as memorable as you think, Tae.” She teased back, knowing being in front of him was making her heart flutter.

 

“Lies. I’m the one you remember the most. Aren't I?” she didn’t want to admit it he was right—so she kept quiet. Instead, Taehyung loomed over her now—his forearm against the wall—locking her in place. He was staring intently at her. “I missed you, but I feel you’re mad at me and I don’t think you’ve told me everything you wanted to.”

 

“Oh, ah ... yeah.” It came out barely a whisper. She recalled how before the movie he told her how she was still the number one in his heart. It made her happy—very happy and the feelings she was trying to forget were back. “Tae, what did you mean I’m still number one?”

 

His stare was making her feel exposed under him. It was as if he could read right through her or trying to. The last time they spoke, he was again like this. Leading her heart astray with his actions and words but then not talking to her for four days. She doubted he meant what he said. Taehyung must likely hated the fact that she was paying more attention to others than him. Her world did not revolve around him. Yet—she fell trap to his words and gave him attention.

 

Taehyung leaned away a little—she felt like she could breathe now. “Because it’s true. You’re my Joy, our Joy. No, matter what you’re my best friend and my neighbor for so long. You got this place in my heart,” he pointed to his chest, “right here. I’m sorry I’ve been busy and haven’t seen you. But I promise to spend time with you.”

 

“You’re closer to the new girl now. Are you going to date her soon?” she changed the topic.

 

“So, you and Jin are closer.”

 

“He’s really fun to be with. I can’t believe I didn’t meet him before. You guys hid a gem from me!” she took his bait and went along even though he ignored her question.

 

“I think it’s the opposite princess. We hid you from his weirdness.” Taehyung smirked at her as she rolled his eyes. He was still the same Taehyung—the weirdest one if she thought about it.

 

“Again, you’re talking to her.” Taehyung hummed. “Does this mean you’re going to have another girlfriend again?”

 

“We’re just getting to know each other Joy. There are hoops you need to jump before leaping through them all. My heart is also—it’s not like you are dating Jin, right?”

 

His voice had a weird tone to it, as if hoping she would deny it and he hadn’t finished his thought. Yet, she liked hearing that tone in his voice, so she shrugged at his answer. He didn’t like her way of answering and she knew it because he had taken a hold of a strand of her hair and started twirling it around his fingers. Every time Taehyung would do that, was when he knew she was teasing but he still couldn’t rest easy until he heard the truth from her.

 

“Princess, you’re not dating Jin, are you?”

 

Sooyoung felt her breath hitch when Taehyung cupped her face leaning closer until their foreheads touched. Her eyes wandered to his lips, but she forced herself to look him in the eyes.

 

“I wouldn’t say dating, per say …” she drifted off, noting how he didn’t seem to be paying much attention, he leaned closer, and it made her lean back, head hitting the wall. “Tae?”

 

“If I—what if we …”

 

He wasn’t making much sense; she only knew that she felt a shiver run down her spine as he ran his thumb across her lips. She was about to say no to her previous teasing and ask him what he was doing, when Seulgi popped her head out seconds later.

 

“Jo—oh, what’s going on here?” she was raising her eyebrows at them as she saw their very close, proximity.

 

“Nothing.” She protested—pushing Taehyung back forcefully. He groaned from where she shoved him in the chest. “I was just asking him about his relationship with—Joohyun? Jimin said she goes by Irene though, right?”

 

“Really, that’s it?”

 

“Yeah,” she looked at Taehyung who had said nothing but watched her with an unreadable expression in his eyes. He now stood with a good amount of space between them. He shrugged, mimicking her.

 

“Ah, two friends catching up. Are you telling him about you and Jin? Or you and Jungkook? It’s only fair if he tells you about him and Irene.” Seulgi spoke; her words were done in a teasing manner—mainly for her.

 

Sooyoung felt how Taehyung stiffened at the mention of her with Jin. When Jungkook was mentioned, it was as if he was burning a hole in her face. Did he not like the thought of them together? Was he acting this way because he was jealous?

 

No. She wanted to laugh at her own thought.

 

“There’s nothing to tell. I’m getting to know Irene and Joy doesn’t like them that way. Either of them.”

 

“How are you so sure?” Seulgi questioned.

 

Taehyung didn’t answer right away. She risked looking at him. Maybe it was her hopeful heart, but it seemed he was melancholy and wanted to know if it was all true or not. She didn’t know what to say. It wasn’t false. She had decided to give Jin a chance and Jungkook deserved a chance.

 

“I’m not.” His words came out softly. He wasn’t lying. He wasn’t sure and he was trying to search for answers. She looked away from him. “I’m not sure. Because I don’t know anything about your feelings, princess. I’ve never known.”

 

Sooyoung snapped her head up. He was right. She never told him. She never spoke about her feelings for boys to him. It was always one of the other guys, she would go to and it was Jimin who first found out she had a crush on Sungjae. Hoseok was the one who knows she likes Taehyung. He—she could never tell him in fear he would always know it was him she was looking towards. Taehyung looked hurt in front of her. All they were doing was just hurting each other. So, she spoke. To ignore what seemed to have almost happen and their unspoken words.

 

“I like him—Jin. I like Jin. He’s sweet and nice. But I also like Jungkook. The more I know him I realize how much fun he is to be around. I like both of them, but I don’t think my feelings are that deep ... yet.”

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter