xvii: birthday (2)

Bewilderment #1
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


Taehyung:

        Taehyung stopped pacing around and sighed. Yet another night where he would not get a full night sleep. His body was mainly running on caffeine by now. He paused and looked to his couch before sitting on the floor and grasping Joy’s sleeping hand in his. He leaned his head on her hand. His day was supposed to go different—he had planned it differently. When he got Jin's first text, he knew that they would talk about Joy and when he texted back to meet—he was prepared. He had known what he was going to say for the past few days. He was going to tell Jin to back off a little because ever since his conversation with Hoseok and Jimin, and even before that, he wasn't sure of how strong his feelings for Joy were, but they were there, and he didn't like the other male being so open about his feelings considering his feelings had always been there. In reality, he did know exactly how strongly he felt for her.

 

Now, more than ever he had mixed feelings. However, the day did not go how he wanted it to go. He was ready, mentally prepared, until Yoongi called in the morning before his meet up with Jin, telling him he needed him to come to a specific location—disguised so that only he could recognize him. At first, he thought he was in trouble over something he wasn't sure he did. Yoongi allowed him near Joy the previous day. Their time together was awkward, and he hated feeling that rift between them at the beginning, although it seemed to mend, and he had that memory of them engraved in his mind. He was still losing her before he even had her. One thing was certain; he was not prepared for what Yoongi was going to talk to him about.

 

The first thing that brought attention to Taehyung was the police tape closing off an alleyway. Not far off was Yoongi, in his black suit and tie that Taehyung was getting too used to seeing. Yoongi beckoned him over and he went. Upon reaching him, his friend handed him an envelope. It was empty and it was all pretense because Yoongi could be being watched and Taehyung was pretending to be a messenger boy who wouldn't be followed.

 

That was when Yoongi told him things went from serious to extreme and even if he hadn't been dumb enough to come across a murder or get tangled up in being the photographer for his “boss” daughter’s wedding; Taehyung had to stay away from Joy completely and by all means necessary. They had gotten to Sungjae too late and the information Sungjae had—was leaked. Even if it wasn't true and was false, his name was now in the mix and he was in trouble of his own. Chanyeol had been smug about knowing they both lied to him about their relationship with Joy—once the news broke to him.

 

Now Yoongi was not just playing one of the bad guys but was also supposed to be locating the certain female named Park Sooyoung. The correct, Park Sooyoung. He wasn’t as lucky. The men looking for him weren’t Yoongi or Chanyeol, but some other men who were not Park’s. Yoongi told him that if it had been Park and his men, he wouldn’t be as worried. His name, Kim Taehyung was going around but Yoongi refused to mention why his name was so important and why they needed to find him. All he knew was that there was someone looking for him and someone also looking for Joy and that for some other people—they both came in a package.

 

That same morning Yoongi gave him, his two new police escorts who would watch him from afar. He showed him pictures and Taehyung wondered how he was supposed to act as if they weren’t suspicious when both were big and tall. Taecyeon and Chansung were their names.

 

“Tae, you can’t talk to her. Not even thru the phone or in any way. You have to stay away. They know you both are linked together. Her name pops up whenever your name is mentioned, same with her. They got him; they killed Sungjae after getting that bit of information out of him.”

 

Taehyung felt as his heart constrict in pain. He lifted his head up to look at Joy as she slept soundly while he tried to control his tears. He liked her. He liked her so much, he was willing to stay away from her and step aside for Jin to freely go in. He needed to keep her safe and so he would have to disappear until Yoongi let him know he was in the clear.

 

If it had been hell for him before, what would it be like for the extended period he would not be able to talk to her now? It just happened to fall on her birthday too. He had been lucky to see her and now—he felt his friend was torturing him. This was not a gift. This was pure torture having her be in front of him. He had purposely ignored her text. Looked at it countless of times, enough that he almost caved and called her. To have her, be brought to him, when he was doing what was asked from him was like tempting a person on a diet with all their favorite foods.

 

He didn't know how to explain this. She had seen something—from what Yoongi told him and now she was there. The moment he lifted her on his back, he knew she had fallen asleep. Her hold on him slightly loosened and her breathing became heavy. When he made it to his apartment she briefly woke, to drink some water and torture him some more before she fell asleep on his couch.

 

Taehyung had sat by her. She was clingy. He liked her being clingy, but he didn't like her being drunk. This was the first time he had ever seen her like that, and she was a lot braver with her movements and advances than compared to her non-drunk state. She had traced his nose and admitted to her heart beating fast at seeing him. She had called him beautiful, taking one of his hands to place on her chest to feel the beat of her heart. He grew red from that. His hand was dangerously close to her . He pulled back his hand and nodded that he understood. But this drunk Joy was a tease who straddled him and wrapped her arms around his neck and asked him to kiss her.

 

He had frozen and didn't know what to do. He wanted to kiss her. Damn, he wanted to kiss her. However, she was drunk and wouldn't remember any of it. She only pouted at him when he refused, and she cried saying she knows she isn't as pretty as Irene, but she was hoping she could somehow move his heart to finally look at her. It almost broke his resolve when she said that. She was beautiful and he had been looking at her for a long time. He settled for cupping her face and kissing her nose. She still pouted—got off him and kicked him out so she could sleep. She whispered again how she only wanted him to just look at her, just once was enough. It pained him.

 

That was where he was now. Watching her sleep and feeling his heart bleed because she was so close, and he couldn't have her. He wanted her so bad and had she not been drunk he would have kissed her. How was he supposed to go on now? Was he supposed to just pretend that he didn't care for her? Was he supposed to turn a blind eye if he saw her crying? Yeah. He had to and that was why he said what he said to Jin. If anything, Joy needed someone there and Jin seemed like the best option for her.

 

Taehyung grabbed one of his throw pillows and yelled out in frustration. How deep did his like go for Park Sooyoung? It was deep enough to make him miserable at the thought of not being anywhere near her or talking to her. Yet utterly afraid if anything happening to her.

 

I guess it is too late now to even admit to anyone other than Jimin, that I actually like her as a woman.

 

 

⇤〜⑉⑅﹎⑅〜⑉⇥

 

 

He ended up falling asleep in a seated position. Joy's hand was still in his. His neck ached and when he looked at his watch, he had only slept for three hours. It was five in the morning and since he knew one person to be an early riser—he called them. He called Jimin to come and take Joy home before she woke up. Jimin arrived twenty minutes later with Hoseok in tow. Taehyung was going to proclaim but kept mum instead.

 

“What happened?”

 

Jimin was the first to ask why, Hoseok walked in and to where Joy was still soundly sleeping.

 

“Princess, what happened to you?”

 

Taehyung turned to Jimin while Hoseok managed to get Joy to move so he could put her on his back. “This is just a dream. It has to be just a dream. Jimin, I can’t say much but please trust me. She wasn’t even supposed to be here, and I think—she may wish it was just a dream.”

 

“Did she do anything stupid, like you did that one time?” Hoseok stood behind him, making him jump.

 

Taehyung knew what Hoseok meant. He once got drunk in high school. How? Even he wasn't sure, but he did and ended up kissing Joy. He usually liked to pretend he didn't remember, and this was one of those times he would pretend to not remember. “I did something stupid?”

 

He could see how Hoseok rolled his eyes at him. “This is the reason why I pick Jin for princess over you.”

 

He watched his friend walk out and then turned to Jimin. “She did. In case, you’re wondering. She did something that isn’t necessarily stupid, but I know she will regret it if she knew this was true. She told me to kiss her as she straddled me.”

 

“Did you?” he shook his head at Jimin’s question. “Taehyung, you have the strength of a thousand men to not kiss the girl you like when she so willingly asks you.”

 

“She was drunk.” He paused and remembered something as he ran to his room. He handed Jimin the small box and flowers. Jimin tilted his head at him. “It’s her birthday gift from me. Can you leave it at her bedside table?”

 

“Let me guess, you didn’t kiss her because you wanted her to be sober. Kim Taehyung, you are a hopeless romantic and I am surprised by you every single day. The moment you two get together—I may have a heart attack. But why not just you give it to her?”

 

“I can’t. Jimin, I really can’t say and I’m sorry but also thank you.”

 

“I’ll trust you for now. Tae, get some sleep you look like .”

 

Jimin left after that and he felt his shoulders relax. He was going to get some rest. He would just miss his first class and sleep. He needed it and he needed to at least let the pain in his heart pass by. He walked to his room, closing the blinds so it was darker and checked his phone. He had one unread message from Yoongi that was sent about an hour ago. If he felt, he lacked sleep—he felt bad for Yoongi. Taehyung opened the text and read it. His anxiety started again, and he had to put his phone down and breathe deeply. He would trust nothing would happen. He was not going to sacrifice spending time away from Joy for anything to happen that was out of his control.

 

 

Yoongi ✊
She’ll have to come in for questioning.
She was the last person seen talking
to Sungjae when he was alive. Namjoon will
oversee the questioning, she’ll be fine.

 

 

He hoped she would. He hoped she would be fine, but he also knew that she would find out about Sungjae and that would not be fine. Especially not now. Not on her birthday. Taehyung fell asleep contemplating how he would get away with meeting up with Joy at their spot—tonight.




 

⇤〜⑉⑅﹎⑅〜⑉⇥

 

 

Sooyoung:

The massive headache she felt when she woke up let her know she may have drunk a little too much the previous night. The alcohol had not hit her until later. Yet—she also had been the one to think it was a good idea for her to drink more wine when she got home. She rolled over on her bed. She had had the weirdest dream. She could have sworn she was walking around the park late at night and saw a man be shot down. Then Yoongi showed up and drove her off to Taehyung. That part she hoped was all really a dream. She groaned and hid her head on her pillow. She wouldn’t be stupid enough to try and seduce Taehyung in her besotted state, would she?

 

Sooyoung tapped around for her phone and instead she felt like she squished something. She opened her eyes and, on her dresser, next to her phone was a small velvet box with a bundle of stephanotis flower. She sat up and took the box in her hands. Opening the box, she smiled at seeing a silver chained, star necklace. There was no note, she knew whom it was from. Her eyes widened and she reached for her phone, looking up Taehyung’s name through her text. She never knew she would sigh in relief knowing he had not messaged her back. It only meant it really must have all been a dream from her drunken state.

 

She had a flurry of happy birthday messages from her friends. Each one made her smile. Seulgi walked in, with food in a tray for her along with what looked like aspirin.

 

“The birthday girl is awake! After being drunk, nice.”

 

“Did Taehyung come here?” she asked once Seulgi set her food in front of her.

 

“No, why?”

 

“This gift.”

 

She pointed to the necklace and flowers. Seulgi took the box from her and then looked down at the flowers. It was as if a lightbulb went on in her head. “Oh, Jimin brought that. I guess Tae gave it to him to give to you. It’s your first gift?”

 

Sooyoung shook her head and lifted her arm up to show the simple bracelet. “Jungkook gave this to me yesterday.”

 

“Aww, our little Joy just has too many admirers.”

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter