xxxxvii: debut

Bewilderment #1
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jimin:

 

           The only thing certain about the situation he was witnessing, was that he wasn't supposed to be there. In his defense, he did not want to be there. Park was in a current meeting with Oh Sehun. The main reason why he had stayed to eavesdrop. He finally saw the face of the man who was causing his best friend—soulmate no less—so much grief. The man was tall and handsome. In any other circumstance, he could picture Joy dating him. They seemed like they would be a rather cute couple—in a different life. Not in their current circumstances or current life. If Taehyung were to know what he had briefly thought, he’d be dead.

 

 

“A trust we had set has been broken Sehun. You have not only betrayed my trust, but the trust of all the clans.”

 

 

Jimin smirked. If he was found, he would need to explain why he was there in the first place. It was simple. He had gone down the hall of the dining room, heading towards the training rooms. Something had caught his eye in Park’s office. Joy’s grandfather was actually very friendly to him and Seulgi. He did not think that he would mind, had Jimin wandered into his open office because of a glint. The sunlight that landed on a piece of jewelry. A tiara. Since Joy’s official debut was in three days—he could be positive that tiara was for her. He was excited to inspect it. No less had he picked up, that voices were heard coming near. He panicked and hid. The last thing he had expected was for them to enter the very office he was hiding inside of. He was lucky the curtains were near the bookcase he was using to hid.

 

 

Peeking, his smirk grew at seeing the scowl on Sehun’s face. Jimin was rather interested in seeing him with a man he didn’t recognize. Seulgi said that they would slightly recognize Chanyeol, since he was the one that initially kidnapped Joy. The tall man was nowhere to be found.

 

 

“I have not broken any trust with your clan, believe me.”

 

 

He watched Park nod towards Jinyoung who walked out of the room. A few seconds passed, Jinyoung came back with Jaebum who was dragging one of the younger workers. He was one of the workers who helped him and Seulgi get settled. They didn’t talk much. At least, Jimin had not conversed with him much. He found the young worker rather intrusive with his questions in wanting to know more about Taehyung and Joy. He didn’t give him much and neither had Seulgi. He had briefly mentioned it to Taehyung and since then, the worker was never near them again. It was not surprising for him to see he was the mole.

 

 

Recognition fell on Sehun’s eyes, but the man went back to his stoic facial expression.

 

 

“What is this, Park?”

 

 

“Is this not your man?”

 

 

“I wouldn’t break such a trust.”

 

 

“Odd, since this man was just recently hired. We thought he had no connection with any of the other clans. A few nights ago, we found him roaming around the estate.” Park spoke, it was in a rather calm tone.

 

 

“Is that unusual?” Sehun questioned, looking the nameless worker up and down.

 

 

“Not quite. It is only unusual when the parts he was roaming was this my private office and the room my granddaughter is staying in. We know he was sent here to give back information and the post he has been put in, didn’t give him much chance to even have a glimpse at my granddaughter. This is a trust broken. Even more so when we found a personal phone in his belongings—one with just one contact—your man, one that used to work for me. Leoy. Funny, all the workers who were close to Loey were fired. To have another new worked, still under his instructions, is a violation. We have thought it through, the clans and me.”

 

 

“And what is that? Take my land away? That is not something that can be decided by the clans.” Sehun was smirking. Jimin wanted to punch him.

 

 

“No, you are correct in that.” It was Jinyoung who spoke, sliding a paper across the table. “There is nothing we can do about your land and power. Your backstabbing and creating this catalyst to win more power, can postpone the engagement for at least five months, though. You will be at the debut, you cannot and will not greet Park Sooyoung. You will not go anywhere near her, without supervision and at least five people in the room. This is your punishment, for trying to create war.”

 

 

Sehun stood up, slamming his hands on the desk. Park did not flinch and Jinyoung had not backed away. Jimin did jump and he noted how Jaebum was now looking at his direction. He hid further by the wall.

 

 

“You cannot that do that! If such measures are taken, then what of the Bae’s?”

 

 

“We are taking care of that as well. We have been informed of what they may have played a role in. As of now, it is only hearsay. They are no longer under your jurisdiction, so their fate is in the hands of the Kim clan, who paid a hefty sum of money for their debt.”

 

 

“This goes beyond debt.”

 

 

“As we have said, it is still hearsay. If it is true, you can trust that they will face what it is deserved for the harm caused to you and your clan.”

 

 

Jinyoung had spoken again. He only knew because he recognized the voice. No way was he going to peek, knowing that Jaebum had caught sight of him. He just hoped they would leave soon. This was great news for Taehyung. They were guaranteed at least more time than they thought they had. Joy could be with them longer. Taehyung wouldn’t have to stress as hard or train as much. He itched to move, almost bouncing on the balls of his feet.

 

 

“It is true, not believing me is showing your clear bias!” Sehun once again slammed down on the desk, making Jimin to jump once more.

 

 

“Maybe if you would have told the other clans and not tried to use distraction to attack us and the Kim’s, we wouldn’t have had to take such measures.”

 

 

“I didn’t plan attacks of distractions! My sole purpose was to make sure the Bae’s were unprepared, not the Kim’s or the Park clan.”

 

 

“It seems your right-hand man, may have gone behind your back because this is what happened.” Jinyoung cleared his throat, seeming to be walking away from where he stood. Jimin could make out the door being opened. “Please leave before we use force. Leoy worked using your power and name. Whether you were aware of it or not, is not our problem but yours. Accept the terms Sehun, unless you want a bloodbath to your clan and have your land stolen. We have Byun’s men in the triad as well as the Wang clan, due to connections to the Kim’s. Choose wisely your next actions, Sehun.”

 

 

Steps were heard along with a shuffling of chairs. Jimin braved to peek out once more, not surprised to see Jaebum standing next to the cabinet, smirking at him. He sent a glare to him, watching as Sehun and his men left, followed by Park and Jinyoung. His eyes lingered on Jinyoung—the way he spoke—the authority he seemed to hold, was intimidating.

 

 

“We actually can’t guarantee five months. Three at most, if we’re lucky. The contract is still valid, no matter how much we wished this was enough to break trust. The mere fact that Sehun was not aware of the other attacks, kept him safe from breaking the contract. I think, if Chanyeol did this on his own, he may have known and just kept it from Sehun. I’m sure that these attacks were something he may have talked about and never put into action knowing it would not be beneficial for him. Still, he may have something more up his sleeve. He did look around when he first came in, surprised to see me instead of Suga. Suga usually does all the speaking, not Jinyoung. Jinyoung is set to follow Joy when she goes, if that appease you in any way.”

 

 

Stepping away from behind the curtains, Jimin looked to Jaebum who smiled sheepishly at him—only weary knowing that if Jinyoung was to go with Joy, that meant Jaebum was assigned to Taehyung. In his late-night wanderings, he would overhear the staff. Park had it all planned. His best men would be split. One part to Joy when taken to Sehun, part of the contract. Another part with Taehyung, who will be safe under the powers of both Park and Kim. Jaebum was the third best, after Yoongi and Jinyoung. Jaebum would be Taehyung’s personal guard.

 

 

“If I say yes, will you stop smiling like that?”

 

 

“I can’t. You’re too cute. This is my automatic smile at being in your presence.”

 

 

Jimin scowled, walking out of the study in a hurry. The way that Jaebum openly flirted with him and Seulgi was unnerving. “Where’s Taehyung?”

 

 

He knew Jaebum followed, so he wasn’t surprised to hear the man beside him. “With Chaeyoung, they’re planning something. Oh, I mean with Rosé. Anyway, they’ve been hushed but I saw him call for Seulgi not that long ago. Is he having a harem?”

 

 

Jimin scowled once more at Jaebum’s fake gasp and covering of his mouth. How did the male do it, though? He grew up in the world and still remained optimistic and almost innocent to everything going on, throwing jokes here and there. Jimin knew better, it was an act. “Not funny, while we’re on topic. Yes, Jinyoung going with Joy those give me a sort of calm. However, what’s to say that Jinyoung won’t develop feelings for her?”

 

 

“What’s to say that Taehyung won’t develop feelings for Rosé?”

 

 

“Tae’s in love with Joy. He won’t look at anyone else.”

 

 

“Jinyoung is very serious about his work and since his parents came back and he officially met his real sister—he can’t separate the two. To him, Joy is another sister. His parents raised her. Her grandfather raised him. Maybe by blood they aren’t related, yet sometimes familial ties go deeper than blood. Look at the relationship you have with Taehyung. He’s like your brother and you treat him as such. You’re not related.”

 

 

“I hope you’re right.” Jimin paused at the stairs. Whatever Taehyung was planning, he was being kept out of it for a reason. “Where’s Joy?”

 

 

“Her lessons just ended. I think she’s in her room.”

 

 

Jimin took a step and then stopped, looking at Jaebum. “Don’t you have other things to do than to follow me?”

 

 

“Ouch, this rejection. It won’t make me stop.”

 

 

He ignored the man, shuddering as he ran up the stairs to the direction of Joy’s room. He knocked, having heard voices inside. It took a couple of seconds before Yoongi opened the door. He titled his head to the side, confused as to why not just Yoongi, but Wendy, were in the room with Joy who was sitting on the bed, nodding to whatever it was Wendy was telling her. Yoongi smiled at him though, the same friendly smile from all those years that show cased his teeth. Jimin couldn’t help but to smile as well. Something familiar, from the past, before all of this.

 

 

“What brings you here, Jimin?” he asked him as he allowed for him to walk in.

 

 

“I was wondering what Joy was up to since Tae seems to be up to something and not inviting me.” He looked to Yoongi, stepping closer. “Is he planning something and purposely not telling me because I have ruined surprises before?”

 

 

Yoongi shrugged, chuckling. “Whatever it is he is planning; I have no clue either. Joy wanted to talk to Wendy, and I happened to be with her, you know her daily walks the doctor told us to take.”

 

 

“Ah,”

 

 

He nodded, turning to smile towards Joy who kept nodding at what Wendy was saying and writing something down. It seemed Joy hadn’t even seen him walk in. He sat beside her, that was when she turned to face him. Her facial expression showed she was taken aback by his presence.

 

 

“Oh, Jimin. I thought you were with Seulgi.”

 

 

“No. Seulgi is with Tae and Chaeyoung.”

 

 

“Oh?”

 

 

He waved his hand off. “I don’t know what’s going on. All I know is I barely came out alive of when Sehun was meeting with your grandfather.”

 

 

“Sehun was here?” she questioned, looking worried as she looked to Yoongi. The older male shrugged.

 

 

“I was with Wendy all day. I didn’t know he was coming. Not surprising, considering the last meeting we had with the clans, Sehun needed to be set back from thinking he has all this power.”

 

 

Joy nodded to what Yoongi said and looked to her lap. From beside her, he could see she was holding a calendar and had circled some days. He blinked, confused and then turned to face Joy who was biting her lower lip. She seemed worried. Lately, she didn’t even talk much to Seulgi. He would sometimes see her pacing back and forth aimlessly down the halls. He once found her staring off into the ocean on the balcony. Her “parents” had been looking for her. Jimin knew she was fine because in the library, the balcony she was looking out from, Taehyung was sitting on one of the chairs that faced outward. He had been quiet, yet silently keeping watch of Joy. When he whispered to his friend, asking what was wrong, Taehyung smiled bitterly. “She’s worried that she won’t be able to become pregnant. Just now, she did some tests to see her fertility. She’s scared and I can’t do much. I tried to comfort her, but she pushed me away. It’s something I can’t understand, she said.” That was when it clicked, what she had been looking at.

 

 

“Is this, a fertility calendar?” he questioned, seeing how Wendy had stood, rubbing her belly and smiled down at him. Joy was looking at Wendy’s pregnant belly in an almost longing way.

 

 

“Not necessarily, Jimin. You are pretty perspective. It’s us figuring out when she’s most fertile and ovulating. The days circled are her window of best conceiving.” Wendy replied.

 

 

“Ah, so why the long face, Joy?”

 

 

Joy pouted, looking to him with a broken expression. “I …” she didn’t finish before tears fell down her eyes. She quickly wiped them away, but they kept coming back. “… I took a test this morning and it was negative again. I thought I did the calendar right and I did. I was sure maybe, the time Tae and I were intimate two nights ago, we had succeeded and I just—”

 

 

She burst into tears, hugging him because he was the closest person to her. He held her back, confused as he looked to Wendy and Yoongi. Wendy smiled sympathetically and Yoongi looked just as lost as him. He never thought that hearing how Joy was worried about becoming pregnant was going to be something they would be facing then. Maybe in the future, not then. She wasn’t even married to Taehyung and they had all this pressure. He patted her shoulder as she cried. Was it even good news that they were perhaps guaranteed more time? Jaebum’s words rang in his ear. It wasn’t a given. Sehun could have something up his sleeve. This was too much pressure on Joy. He could see what Taehyung had meant. It wasn’t something they could understand. The pressure she felt and most likely the sense of failure she felt, not being able to conceive after three months of trying.

 

 

“Joy, I know it’ll all work out. It’s okay.”

 

 

She sniffled, nodding and her whimpers still coming, “I need him.”

 

 

“I know.”

 

 

“No,” she started, moving back to face him, “I need him. I need him to never leave my side and no one can guarantee that. No one can guarantee he won’t get hurt. If anything, can’t we just have one good thing? This child I’m supposed to have ... I want it. I need this child. If anything happens to him … how am I supposed to go on without his comforting words and support?”

 

 

She started to cry again. Right when she sobbed once more and he held her to comfort, the door to her room opened. Taehyung was there. He had been smiling as he looked down, only for the smile to drop as he met the scene in front of him. Jimin stood up, gently pushing Joy back as he did, confusing Joy until she saw that Taehyung was there. She stood and ran to him, Taehyung had been walking towards her with a worried expression. They were in the middle of the room, where only her cries were heard, and Taehyung’s mumbled words were barely made out. He stepped back, along with Yoongi and Wendy, until they left the couple alone. Wasn’t the debut too soon?

 

 

In the hallway, Seulgi was talking with Chaeyoung—who he refused to really call Rosé to her face—only to annoy her. They were giggling about something. He cleared his throat, raising a brow.

 

 

“What?” Chaeyoung’s smile dropped as she crossed her eyes and spoke.

 

 

“Rude, you’re younger than me Chaeyoung, shouldn’t you treat me as such?”

 

 

“Park Jimin, you forgot I existed, and you want my respect?” she stuck her tongue out, looking to the closed doors. “What happened?”

 

 

“Joy, she’s worried about needing to conceive.” Wendy mumbled, sighing as she shook her head. “It’s too much pressure, Yoongi. This stress does not help her.”

 

 

“Considering there isn’t much time …” Chaeyoung muttered, clicking her tongue. “… curse Sehun and his stupid want for power. Can’t they do something about what almost happened here and what happened to the Kim’s?”

 

 

Jimin clapped his hands, nodding as he remembered what he heard. “He was here. Earlier and I happened to be there as well.”

 

 

“That’s right, I didn’t ask because Joy already seemed distraught, but why exactly were you there, Jimin?” Yoongi asked, raising his own brow.

 

 

He waved him off. “It doesn’t matter, I’ll explain later. I just know that due to this the engagement was been pushed back for five months. Jaebum did say that it will most likely be three months, but it gives us time.”

 

 

“Perfect!” Chaeyoung clapped her hands, excited about the news. Far more than he had expected her to be. “This is perfect. It goes so well with what Taehyung is planning.” She giggled, looking at Seulgi.

 

 

“What is Taehyung planning?” Yoongi asked, seeing the smirk on their faces.

 

 

“You’ll see.”

 

 

 

⇤〜⑉⑅﹎⑅⑉〜⇥

 

 

 

Jungkook:

 

“This place is so big; we’ve been here a week or so and have yet to see everything! How?”

 

 

“Jungkook, could you sit?”

 

 

“How can I?”

 

 

Jungkook turned, looking at Jin’s new office he had not set foot in. Hoseok had asked him to sit, laughing at how he kept his eyes wide, looking around the rather large room. He did face Jin who chuckled at him. They looked at each other for half a second before giving each other the same mischievous look. Hoseok’s confusion made it all that much more hilarious to Jungkook who started to laugh. It made sense though, for Hoseok to be lost. For the last week, Hoseok and Namjoon were sent to take care of the clan meetings. An excuse was given that Jin had gotten injured by the hands of Sehun. From what Hoseok would tell Jin—in meetings he was now sitting through—Baekhyun did not believe it, but the fact that Baekhyun had been present at the brothel after having slept with Namjoon’s fiancée, was enough to keep the male silent. If news got out, Baekhyun could lose trust with Taemin, the second eldest son of the Lee clan.

 

 

In the time that Namjoon and Hoseok were gone, Yerim had gotten closer to Jisoo and slowly started to warm up to Irene—merely because he let her know what her parents had done. Of what little he could tell; Irene was angry and worried for her parents all in one. That meant, he had a lot of free time and questions. He started to shadow Jin around everywhere, even when Jin would tend to the wounds of Irene’s father. He got to know the older male more and noticed how much in common they had. First, they both had had harbored feelings for Joy, and both had lost to Taehyung. They also shared the fact the women who held their affection now, had always been there. Jin also took time to spar with him, taking him to the defense lessons, allowing for them to continue to grow close. Hoseok had missed them getting closer, as had Namjoon who more often than not, was seen arguing with Sejeong who was still with them. She would remain with them, until the debut of Joy, which was days away. At least, that was what he had last heard of.

 

 

“What is this?” Hoseok asked, after he and Jin stopped laughing.

 

 

“They’re closer now, Hobi. What did you expect? You’re always gone. I’m either with you or having to deal with everything that comes with being engaged to Sejeong. One being, that she stops harassing Jisoo.”

 

 

“It’s just … weird.” Hoseok sat down, shaking his head. “Not weird that you’re friends. It’s weird because you’re going back soon, Jungkook. After the debut party. You and Yeri are getting sent back. Your new semester is starting.”

 

 

“Oh,”

 

 

He frowned.

 

 

He knew they would be back soon. The scare that came with almost having Yerim die, was too much to handle. It did allow for Jin to let them be together in the same room. It helped calmed his and Yerim’s nerves. Having seen what, the world they would be part of, had to offer, he wasn’t sure how willing he would be in coming back. However, he would think of all of them. Of his friendship with Jimin and Taehyung. Of Joy and her bright smiling face and kindness. Of Yoongi’s quiet and yet brotherly nature. He would miss Namjoon and the words of advice he would give. Namjoon had become a sort of idol for him. A mentor of sorts. He wanted to learn more of him, be levelheaded like him because even when Namjoon was arguing with Sejeong, he never raised his voice. Most importantly, he faced Jin again, while in his thoughts.

 

 

If anything, he would come back for Jin. The man that held so much responsibility on his shoulders. Jin had fallen deeper for Joy than he ever had. Jin had had his heartbroken and then thrown into something that had always belonged to him. He had been selfless in saving Irene, regardless of what she had done, finding in him to forgive her.

 

 

Jungkook had inquired, one time that they decided to spar with each other in their training rooms, how Jin started to develop feelings for Irene. Jin didn’t mind explaining. No one had asked. Everyone just assumed he was using her as a rebound. After Jin explained everything, how he first met her and had been attracted to her, to the point of having his first kill in fear of losing her, Jungkook couldn’t deny that the feelings Jin had for the woman he still barely knew, were very much real. He didn’t call them love though—Jin had called them a deep like that could and would turn to love—eventually.

 

 

“Will we at least get to go to the debut? I haven’t seen Joy or Taehyung since all of this started.”

 

 

“You will,” Jin started, having sat down his chair behind the desk, frowning, “only you and Yeri will be disguised as waiters.”

 

 

“Why?” he was visibly confused, scowling at the thought.

 

 

“I thought a lot about this, Jungkook.” Jin started, looking at him with a gentle smile. “You see, this past week, having gotten closer to you, you’ve become important to me. Just as important as Jimin and Taehyung are. If we plan on Taehyung somehow becoming powerful or having his own power, we can’t show all of our cards. If you come with us, walk in with us, your identities would be exposed. We’ve already gotten the word from the Lee’s that they’ll act as if they don’t know Yeri. That way, you can see Joy and Taehyung, but no one would know of your identities and ties to us. It’s to keep you safe.”

 

 

He didn’t like it; it did make sense though. Sighing he nodded, agreeing with what Jin said. “I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter