chapter 35

i'll never love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N:

I suppose congratulations are in order? We made it to the last chapter of this angsty story that I find hard to believe I finished. But yes, we are really on the last chapter, and that's willlld!!! 1.5 years with this story, that's insane!!

Thank you so much to everyone who read, commented, upvoted, I love you guys so much. I appreciate each and every one of you who told me they liked my story, or just my writing, and for hanging on along the ride. And it's been a looooong ride. I have nothing else to but that, so again, thank you.

Please come talk to me on twitter @rabbitfeather1 if you want, and let's see each other on my next story <3

I hope you enjoy the last chapter (and the epilogue, which will be posted soonish).

 

D+164

CHAEYEON

 

Despite the turn of events last night, Chaeyeon still woke up in somewhat of a daze. There was an alarm ringing, waking her up , though Chaeyeon managed to turn it off as quickly as it rang. Her eyes darted around the room to take in her situation. In all honesty, Chaeyeon couldn’t quite believe she was in their bedroom, the one that she missed so much. Last night’s clothes were strewn about hapzardly, so it was no surprise when Chaeyeon found herself to be , her body only covered by the duvet.

 

A murmur came from beside her, and Chaeyeon turned slowly to see Eunbi still sleeping soundly. The first thought that came to mind was how beautiful Eunbi looked. How unguarded and peaceful she looked. It didn’t take her long to realize this was the only sight Chaeyeon wanted to wake up to everyday for the rest of her life.

 

Last night was amazing… and intense, and unbelievable.

 

Definitely unbelievable.

 

When Chaeyeon gave Eunbi the space she needed, she had naively hoped the distance would bring them closer again, somehow. She just didn’t think it would have happened this quickly––so quickly that it scared Chaeyeon out of her mind. What were they now? Chaeyeon asks herself. Eunbi clearly said last night that she didn’t know either. Only that they came back together no matter the circumstance. And that would have been all fine and great if Chaeyeon knew what any of this meant. Is Chaeyeon even sure it will lead somewhere this time? Is Eunbi sure?

 

Trying hard not to make a sound, Chaeyeon slips out of bed. She grabs the nearest clothes from where she was standing and creeps quickly out the bedroom. She went straight into the kitchen to grab herself a glass of water, gulping it down desperately, trying to quench the dryness in . Though Chaeyeon had an inkling that it had more to do with the uncertainty than dehydration.

 

Suddenly the sound of a door opening jerked Chaeyeon out of her thoughts. Thinking it was the bedroom door, and that Eunbi had woken up too, Chaeyeon hadn’t even looked up. 

 

“Mama?”

 

Chaeyeon’s eyes shot up. It took her completely by surprise to see Wonyoung dressed in her school uniform, standing in the living room this early in the morning, especially considering Wonyoung was supposed to be staying over at Chaeyeon’s apartment. “Wonnie? W-what are you doing here?”

 

“I left my notebook here. You weren’t home and mom wasn't answering my texts, so I called the driver.” Wonyoung had looked even more confused than Chaeyeon. “Why are you here?”

 

As if the universe was playing a joke on all of them, perfectly timed, Eunbi walks out the bedroom with only a large t-shirt on her person, her bare legs completely on display, her hair tousled from the night before. If it were another time, if Wonyoung wasn’t present, Chaeyeon would have taken her time admiring the view that was Eunbi. But it was clearly not the time to do so.

 

And knowing how smart their daughter was, both adults could only stop and stare, realizing quickly that they’d been caught. They could practically see the gears turning in Wonyoung’s head as she catches on to the situation at hand.  “Are you both...?” Wonyoung didn’t finish what she was about to say before she took a wobbly step back in shock. “You know what, I can’t deal with this right now,” Wonyong seethes, turning away from her parents, trying desperately to flee the scene.

 

“Wonnie, wait!” Eunbi calls out. “Where are you going?” 

 

“I’m late for school!” Wonyoung manages to yell before leaving right out the front door.

 

“Shouldn’t we go after her?” Eunbi asks, still in shock, before running back into the bedroom and frantically starts putting on a new set of clothes. 

 

Chaeyeon thought the same, but her feet were rooted to the spot. Her mind was swirling about like a hurricane. She didn’t think her actions last night would bite her back in the like this. Chaeyeon was lonely and reminiscing. Eunbi was perceptive to both. And with even the slightest hint of something more, Chaeyeon came running and lapped it up like a lovesick puppy. She had even left Wonyoung all alone in the morning because she was preoccupied with Eunbi. 

 

It was for certain that this couldn’t happen again. They can’t sneak around anymore, they can’t do this push and pull anymore. Chaeyeon needed an answer from Eunbi, about what they were, what they’re going to be moving forward. And if they don’t figure it out soon, then...

 

“Chaeyeon,” Eunbi all but shouts at her, already waiting by the front door.

 

And Chaeyeon was just about to respond when her phone vibrates in her pocket. She took it out and sees a text from her daughter.

 

Wonyoung

I’m going to school. 

Figure it out before I get home.

 

The text from Wonyoung just gave Chaeyeon even more of an incentive to settle this thing between her and Eunbi. 

 

“Let her go,” Chaeyeon says. When Eunbi gave her a questioning scowl, Chaeyeon only strode to where Eunbi stood and handed over the phone to show the text from Wonyoung. 

 

Eunbi releases a sigh after reading their daughter’s text, probably relieved that their daughter didn’t run off to god knows where. After Eunbi hands the phone back, Chaeyeon watches as her ex-wife takes heavy steps to the sofa nearest to her and plops down to take a seat. 

 

Chaeyeon didn’t make any move to join her. And from where she stood a couple feet from Eunbi, she says with absolute seriousness, “We have to talk about this. About us.” 

 

“I know,” Eunbi agrees.

 

“Where should we start?” 

 

Eunbi looks up and gives Chaeyeon a small shrug. “The beginning?” 

 

“And where is that?” Chaeyeon asks again.

 

After the accident, their relationship got a little more complicated than even before. Where was the beginning of a relationship to a couple who was once married, with a child they raised together, but was then separated, followed by one party losing her memories, and then divorced while still having a physical relationship with one another? God, they were a mess, Chaeyeon realized.

 

Eunbi seemed to be able to pin-point it better than Chaeyeon. But the answer clearly wasn’t one Chaeyeon was expecting. “I didn’t do it to hurt you,” Eunbi then clarifies, “with the divorce.” 

 

In some ways, Chaeyeon already knew that; Eunbi must have felt betrayed by Chaeyeon’s lies, was confused about her standing with Chaeyeon, and while it was arguably reckless, she wasn’t malicious in deciding the divorce. That didn’t mean she wasn’t bothered by it though.

 

“Then why? Because until now, I still don’t understand why.” Chaeyeon crosses her arms unintentionally, like she was preparing herself for an answer that might hurt her.

 

“You know why––”

 

“No, I don't!” Chaeyeon cuts Eunbi off. She lets out a scoff, mostly to herself. “I d

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter