Bureau 30

Marriage Bureau

CHAPTER 30
SONG NOEUL

"Kyaa~" I smiled as I watched Ahreum played with her toys.

"Your tea is here," Soojung said as she placed it at the coffee table that was not in Ahreum's reach. I muttered 'thanks' to Soojung as I kept on watching Ahreum. "Things are getting better between me and your brother, just wanted you to know that," She said.

It felt like as if a part of me lifted. The clouds that constantly hovering over me, it felt like as if it has been blown away.

"He is getting help. He plays with Ahreum more often now. Though, his tempers needed to be controlled. I confronted the woman on my own," Soojung smiled as I looked at her. "I didn't tell you because I didn't want to disturb you. I mean, you have your life to handle. The woman called me actually. Telling all the honest truth."

I couldn't find words to say so I remained silent.

"I am still hurt, Noeul ah. But... I am trying to forgive him. Though, you know I could never forget this."

"I'm sorry," was all I could say.

"Don't be sorry for things you didn't do."

"He is my flesh and blood. My brother. I am ashamed. So," I smiled. "I.. I am glad that you are trying and he is well. I.. I guess I have to go back now. Got some work to do," I excused myself as I drank the tea before leaving.

"Work?" Soojung giving me the look. "Hmm? What?"

"Aren't you always in your formal attire for work?"

"Oh, I.. took urgent leave," I lied. Soojung could have sensed something wasn't right but she didn't pry. "Needed time off from all the workload. I'll be okay. Most likely be back to work tomorrow," I explained, picking up Ahreum in my hands as she squealed with laughter.

Looking at her, my heart ached, looking at her, my heart always felt that some secrets are meant to be kept, but some are meant to be broken. I gave a kiss to the cheek before putting her back down on the floor. I bid them goodbye before finally, making a move from my brother's apartment.

*

I miss them. I miss my team. I had arranged for all of us to meet and have a proper dinner and apart from that, I just needed to see them. "UNNIE!" Daeun burst into the restaurant and gave me a hug. I laughed. "It has been one day and it feels so... lonely without you!"

"What are you talking about? You have the others," I said.

"But kinda miss your nagging," Kiran said as she took a seat beside me. "It is tough without a leader."

"You're the acting leader for now, isn't it?" I asked as Kiran nodded and heaved a sigh. I smiled as one by one they took their seat. "I ordered some meat, let's eat well for tonight."

The food and drinks came by and all of them were eating well, "How are you doing, Eri?" I asked when Eri looked at me, the rest were exchanging glances. I knew their silence could mean one thing, "Something happened?"

"Eul-ie," Eri started to cry and I was taken by surprise. "N... Namjoon.. he... He said that we needed to take space with one another," She sobbed, "He has problems with his mother and he is trying to reason with her."

"Things had changed since the scandal happened," Jisoo explained. "Yoongi seemed a little distant with the incident. I guess the rest of us were being careful too," Jisoo explained while comforting Eri.

'The only way in, is to break the wall.'

Her statement floated through my mind as I watched the expressions of the girls that were affected by the incident. "I'm sorry," I apologized. The rest of them turned to me, looking at me like as if I had said something weird. "This is all my fault."

"No, what are you talking about, Unnie? You are not at fault, and we know that!" Sooji argued as the rest agreed with her statement.

"But I do know about what Eri and Namjoon had been doing. And it is natural for Namjoon to think me as the first person that leaked it out, even if he trusted me. But I am quitting not because I wanted to run away," I told them and the girls looked confused. "I am quitting because I wanted to see who was the one who did it."

I wanted to tell them so badly but I really couldn't explain to them what was going on, yet.

"Did you.. managed to find who..?" Kiran asked carefully and I nodded.

"Yes and no," I said. "I needed more evidence before I could really shut the person down," I explained. "I know that all of you are worried about me and all. But if the five of you, get involved in this, it would only serve the person an advantage to the situation. I am trying to clear Namjoon's and Eri's name," I said while glancing to Eri.

"Eul-ie.."

"But you two have to do your part to come out with the truth of your relationship."

"But Unnie, with the situation right now-"

I cut Kiran off, "I understand the situation right now. Sometimes, the real honest truth is the right way even though the consequences after may be bad." Eri looked at me, pondering. "You have to talk to Namjoon about this. For all I know, you loved each other very much. He is just caught in the middle because his mother is part of the arranged marriage. Tell me, doesn't Namjoon and the word 'arranged marriage' seemed a little off? Don't you, Eri? You were the first person to know about the arranged marriage."

"Eul-ie, you should know how reserved Namjoon is."

"No," I shook my head. "Namjoon is smart. He is only being swayed with his own emotions because it involves his mother. I came to believe that all of this is part of something to make his controversy believable. That person really took a short amount of time to cause this damage. Just because of me."

"Because of you, Unnie?" Daeun asked. "What are you keeping it from us? Just tell us, and we'll help you-"

"I can't," I took a deep breath, trying to calm myself down. "This is as far as you can know, but there is one thing you can help me."

"And what is that..?" Sooji was careful to ask, knowing that I had come up with something.

"Namjoon's clearance card. He had all the clearance to most of the department. I need 
that card."

The five of them exchanged glances and frowns with one another.

"I needed it by tomorrow at the end of the day. You, five can just make up a plan as you go. Maybe you could assist Eri, while she's talking things out with Namjoon. Tomorrow, At the end of the day,  I'll be at the back of Flinders' building," I stood up and placed the money on the table, paying for the food.

"Unnie, what you're doing right now.. is it dangerous?"

"Yeah," I smiled. "And please, I begged you. Don't tell Hoseok."

*

I paced back and forth at the back of the Flinders' building. I put on the cap and a hoodie, trying to cover my face and hide whenever there happened to be passersby. It was already six p.m. I heard footsteps from the corner as I hid, trying not to let anyone see me. And a familiar face came to view as Eri came alone. "It would be obvious if everyone comes along," She said.

I smiled. "Sorry and I'm proud that I could rely on my team sometimes."

"Unnie, you shouldn't have," Eri said. "The scandal, it's-"

"It's not alright," I smiled and patted her shoulder. "Did you talk to Namjoon?" Eri nodded with her dimple smile. "He is considering."

"Good. Get home." Worry was written all over Eri's face. "I'll be fine," Eri turned her heels to walk away but it was then, she turned back and pulled me into a hug. She muttered words like, 'be careful' and 'thank you' before she hurried away into the public roadside. I gazed to the card in my hand, Kim Namjoon's clearance card with his name on it.

I really hope I know what I am doing.

*

I waited till nine o'clock at night, as every staff began to exit out of the premises. And there she was, walking out of the building with her sly smile. I couldn't believe that she would have friends who actually liked her. I watched as Sunhee hailed a cab and headed off to the direction, God who knows where. That seemed like the last of the entire staff out of the building.

The security guards were doing rounds and this won't really make things easier. I managed to sneak past them and headed towards the staircase instead. I headed up towards where the finance department is. Carefully, avoiding the cameras, I sneaked past through the door with Namjoon's card and began to search the department files.

It felt like hours searching for evidence until I found the one thing that wasn't hidden at Sunhee's desk. The history of Flinders' expenses seemed way off until recently. She is the Executive. "Guess she is powerful after all. But not really powerful," I captured the evidence that I needed by photocopying it quickly and placed the files back as how it should be.

Exiting out from the department, I had thought of taking the lobby lift when there were voices coming from where Namjoon's office was. I quickly hid away by pressing 
myself against the elevator door, thanks for the lights had gone off after 8 p.m. It was then I heard the familiar voice.

"Hurry up, or we'll miss our drinking time with the guys!"

Hoseok?!

I heard his footsteps nearing as he pressed the button.

"Hold on! I lost my card. Let me check my table. Give me five minutes," Namjoon said as he left Hoseok alone at the lobby.

Hoseok sighed, "What is new, Kim Namjoon," he laughed when the elevator door where I was standing, opened. My eyes widened in fear as Hoseok's gaze eventually met with mine. Surprised.

Before he could say out a word or my name, I pushed him with all my might backward towards the other elevator door while covering his mouth. Hoseok was in a panic as his hands gripped my shoulders. "Don't scream," I whispered. "I am sorry that I can't explain everything now, you will know soon." I dug out my pocket and revealed Namjoon's clearance card. "Give this back to Namjoon."

Hoseok calmed down as his brows furrowed. I released him gently. "Don't say a word." I smiled as I held his cheek and planted a kiss on his lips. "I'll see you tomorrow.  Goodnight."

With that, I left the premises with the evidence that I needed.

Embezzlement. I knew she wasn't powerful at all.

I just needed to pay a proper visit with someone. Upon reaching the front door,  I knocked. And the door opened, "I am sorry for the late visit. But I have something that I would like to discuss with you," I bowed apologetically, formally and gazed back at the two confused parents that stood in front of me. "It is very important,  Mr.  and  Mrs. Kim."