Bureau 25

Marriage Bureau

CHAPTER 25
SONG NOEUL

I was about to get my coffee when my eyes caught Soojung with Ahreum in her arms. "Soojung Unnie," I called out when she finally noticed me, her face grew even panicked.

"N-Noeul ah!" She approached me, "We need to talk," she said as I was already getting stares from the staffs. Outsiders definitely not permitted in the building unless there's an appointment made. I nodded and showed her to the meeting room that I always used.

I turned to the receptionist and apologized. I followed my sister when I realised that the room was occupied by Eri and Kiran. The two of them greeted my sister before I asked them to excuse us. Eri and Kiran understood as they left the room, as I closed the door behind me. "Unnie, what are you doing here? I'm working."

"I know, I'm sorry," She cried. Her tears began to roll down her cheeks and that was when I sensed something wasn't right. I let her sat down on one of the chairs with Ahreum who shifted in her sleep.

"Calm down," I held Soojung by the shoulders, "What's going on?" I asked when I happened to see a mark near her lips. I realised the reality of what was going on. "My brother," I said.

"I do not know where else to go. He just went insane. I caught him lying again and now he doesn't seem to accept the fact that he had made the mistake. I never knew him to be like that," she explained.

No. It wasn't because she was never known my brother to be like that. It was just that this little part was hidden away from anyone who got to know him. Brother had been always suicidal and him keeping himself sane was only because his brain still functions telling him that there were consequences to every decision made. I remembered the one time when his first engagement was broke off and he lost it. He wanted to kill himself - I was almost hurt in the process.
"He's suicidal," I whispered as Soojung looked up to me.

"What?"

The door barged opened, startling the both of us, "SIR YOU CAN'T-" The receptionist tried to stop him but she was pushed down before he closed the door and locked the room.

"EUL-IE!" As both Eri and Kyuri began to knock the door down.

I heard Eri's voice but I couldn't respond to her. I stood in front of Soojung who was protecting Ahreum as I stared at my own worst fear, my brother.

"Why didn't you listen to me?" He said as tears clouded his eyes. He hit himself countless times on his head. "I told you the truth but you always say the same thing all over again, what should I do to make you believe me?!"

I startled and Ahreum began to cry. "Oppa, don't do this, please. Your daughter's crying."

"YOU STAY OUT OF THIS!" He yelled, as he grabbed the cup on the table and threw it against the wall. He wanted to get Ahreum from Soojung but with all my might, I pushed him away. That was when he lost it. He approaching the wall and began to hit his head.

"OPPA!" I cried as I pulled him away trying to stop him. But he was stronger than me, he pushed me away as my hip hit the edge of the table before dropping myself to the floor. I winced in pain, as the broken cup's shards piercing into my palm. "Please stop this!" Ahreum's cry became louder and louder. I embraced him from behind and cried out loud. "Oppa, you're the only person I have right now, please stop!" I yelled as loud as I can 
when he finally stopped.

He rested his forehead against the wall, bleeding. He was crying.

"I know everything. I saw everything. My heart was broken. I was disappointed," I said, gently, my arms still holding onto him. "I lost my hope with love. Both of you are my pillar, the one I could depend on. I believe in love because I wanted to have a family like the both of you," I sobbed, and I felt his shoulders trembling.
"You're the only person, my blood siblings. The only one I could rely on. No matter what mistakes you've done, you are still my brother. No matter what shame you brought to our family, you are still my brother. I am your family, your sister. You suffer, I am suffering too," I cried. "Ahreum needs you. So please remember that. Get help, Oppa."

My brother cried as he turned around and pulled me into an embrace. He tightly held me together as I returned his hug. I closed my eyes as tears rolled down my cheek. "I love you, my brother, you are not alone," I whispered.

The front door finally opened as Hoseok entered and his shoulders dropped. I shook my head, signaling him to leave some privacy before gesturing to him that I was fine.

*

My brother was brought down to the station along with Soojung. The security had reported to the police of trespassing.

I was in sickbay immediately after that as Hoseok was completely worried. Kiran was diligently nursing my hand that was injured. I sighed as I stared into space. "Unnie," Kiran whispered. "You should get help as well," I looked at her, and she looked up to me. "I've known you long before the team was formed. I don't talk much but I observed what was going on around me."

Kiran finished off the bandaging as I pulled my hands away, "Thank you. But I am fine, Kiran," I smiled.

"You're not. And everyone knows that" Kiran argued. "Fine is a word of defense to show that you didn't want to be probe further but yet you wanted people to know and understand your cry for help."

"We are here, you know," Daeun spoke as the girls entered the room. "We actually heard what you said to your brother. I think we understand why you really put your utmost best when comes to matchmaking people. You don't have much experience but then you always put it in a way as you deemed fit. Like that is the reason why most of our clients are successful?"

"What is your point, Daeun?" Sooji folded her arms, staring at her, "I really don't get what you're trying to say and you're confusing all of us."

Daeun groaned, "I mean, Unnie has been depressed lately because of what was happening in her life. Her brother is the main pillar of strength, motivation and something that she had believed on since the beginning. She doesn't need to be in love to know what love is, I think her love for her brother was good enough to explain everything."

"What you're trying to say is, family love," Jisoo quipped in. "Unnie, I know we, perhaps knew each other on working terms, but throughout the five years, I think we became closer. And I am really worried if you're only keeping it to yourself. You're like my older sister, you know?"

"Ah, Jisoo," I tried my best not to cry as I pulled her into a hug. The rest of them gathered around as we embraced into one big hug. "I'm sorry for worrying you girls and sorry for everything that has happened. I am fine, I will be fine because-"

"Because she has me," my words cut in as Hoseok leaned against the pillar with a smirk on his face.

"THAT IS OUR CUE, YOU GUYS!" Eri said as they all broke up the hug. "Hey- Wait-"

"Time for work, Unnie!" Daeun waved as she winked. Kiran was giggling, Sooji was smirking, and Jisoo, I watched her smile before wiping her tears within an instant. Jisoo gave a high five to Hoseok who winked back at them.


"What the hell-"

"You didn't even talk to me earlier, not noticing me at all. You blanked out and you won't talk to me, and thinking that you may talk to the girls, I asked them for help," he smiled. He approached me as he stood right in front of me. "Now, my dear," He rested his hands on the arm's rest, his gaze piercing through mine as I looked up. "How are you holding up?"

My eyes widened, staring straight into his eyes. I was surprised when I saw him earlier, his face was really worried and terrified. He came all the way from his workplace to where I was, like a knight in shining armor.

Honestly, when I saw him, I was relieved. Throughout the situation with my brother, I had been afraid despite I had to save him. I was scared but I had to. And seeing Hoseok standing right there, every problem that I had, washed away.

My eyes grew watery as I stared at him. "You don't know how relieved I was when I saw you."

Hoseok leveled himself down as he held my cheeks. "Oh god," he pulled me into an embrace. "Likewise, Noeul."

I wrapped my hands around him as tears fell down on my cheeks once again. "Thank you, Hoseok. For coming."

"I promised not to leave you, and so I promised that I will be there for you no matter what."