Bureau 10

Marriage Bureau

CHAPTER 10
SONG NOEUL

I heard it. My phone ringing. I tried to open my eyes but I couldn't. I have forgotten to wash up when I reached home yesterday and my head was hurting real bad. I picked up the call sleepily, only to be greeted by Soojung's voice. "Unnie," I croaked as I glanced to the wall clock. "It is 3 AM."

"Eul-ie," Soojung began. "Please forgive me if I ever hurt you or anything. I heard what happened between you and your brother and I, I am sorry for whatever happened. I  don't know if I ever would forget what happened but I am forgiving your brother for what he had done."

"Unnie.."

"Eul-ie, please pray for me," I heard her voice sounded weak than usual. I sat up from the bed and sighed. "The water bag has been burst."

My eyes snapped wide open, "WHAT? Where's brother?! Is he there?"

"Relax," She said. "I am sorry for worrying you. You don't have to worry about us. Your brother and I are working out our relationship and at this point of time, he had been concerned. But I am not sure if he concerned for me but rather, he concerned for the baby. I don't care if he doesn't concern about me but looking at him feeling quite excited for the baby's arrival, I am happy enough. Keep me in your prayer and I'll update you good news soon."

Numb. It was like that. The feeling. The disappointment and upset was just too great and the fact that what happened yesterday had made it worst. Everything that happened in my life is a mess. "I'm sorry," I choked. "I'm sorry on behalf of him."

"You didn't do anything wrong," She said. "I'm sure you had your own problems too but I think pouring my own situation to you had been a burden. I'm the one who supposed to 
be sorry."

"Please be well and have a safe delivery."

"I will."

A dial tone was heard. Nothing will change the fact that something did happen in my family. And it won't be the same as it used to be.

And yes, I couldn't go back to sleep one more time.

*

The headache didn't go away despite myself taking the pills. I was only onto my third client in the morning when I should be already on my fourth. Hoseok didn't come by this morning and my heart couldn't rest as he didn't appear like how he should. It has been only two days and he had already affected me like this.

'I hate you.'

A pang in my chest as I remembered what I said. The twist in my heart was telling me, I felt otherwise. I didn't hate him. My heart actually had taken into liking towards him.

"Hi, my name is Song Noeul from Flinders. I'm sorry, I understand that you had booked an appointment at 11 am, an interview with me. But due to unforseen circumstances, is it alright if I reschedule it to another day? Yes. I'm sorry. Thank you for your understanding," I sighed as soon as I hung up.

I looked up to where I was and I kept swearing to myself that I would regret it.

FaceNotes building.

I headed inside to the lobby, straightening myself, ignoring the headache that had been throbbing since morning. I noticed the receptionist who was taking the front desk. And Kiran was right, it seemed that it was a male-dominated company. On top of that, the receptionist was really good looking. "Is Mr. Jung Hoseok working today?"

"Oh? Did you have an appointment with him?"

"Oh no, I just want to know if he did report to work today. That is all," I gave an awkward smile and he looked at me like as if I was-

"Are you... one of his stalker...?" What? Stalker? "Because, if you are, I have to call security."

"OH NO! I'm not," I retorted as I showed my business card. "I am from Flinders and yes, Mr. Jung did had an interview before so he didn't attend his last session so I was just wondering if he did work today," I lied. A white lie.

"Noeul?" I turned when I heard my voice called out. "Oh my God, what are you doing here?"

"Jin!" I beamed.

"Fancy meeting you here, I assume, you were here for, Hoseok?" He asked and I completely ignored the receptionist that probably listening to our conversation.

"Oh, no. I was just checking..."

"Checking?"

"Oh, because.." I looked at Jin, feeling awkward and embarrassed. "Something happened yesterday and I was wondering if he's fine. That's all."

Jin stared with an amused expression. "Let me bring you to FaceNotes cafe," Jin suggested. "It has been a long time since we last met."

*

"So how had you been doing, lately?" Jin asked as a cup of coffee placed in front of me. "I've heard alot of achievements since you worked with Namjoon."

"Its nothing much, really. I just work because.." I paused trying to think of an answer. Usually, I would have answered it right away but because of my own problems... "You should understand why."

"Enlightened me," Jin asked and something in me struck. Something about Jin had changed. He was my classmate indeed a friendly one but I had recalled us, not that close. Was it FaceNotes that changed him? Or was I the one who changed? The way he speaks, his tone of voice didn't sound friendly at all. It was more of an exaggeration.

I took a sip of the coffee, trying not to be disrespectful. "I should be leaving," I said. But he stopped me when I stood up.

"Do you want to know the reason why Hoseok was so into you when he could have all the other women that he want?" I frowned upon hearing that question. "He took up the offer as a bet."

"Bet?" I was confused. Did Hoseok actually shared with his friends this easily.. or..? "Well, I don't know if he actually shared it with you but indeed, there was a bet going on between us. To tell you the truth, he had asked for a week, if there is no progress between us, he would stop," I explained.

"No. The bet between you and him was on top of another bet." I grew curious.


"What do you mean?"

"He had a bet with us saying that he can be the bad guy. He'll make the woman fall for him and break her heart immediately. And you, you are his bet."

What...

"He never really interested in you, in the first place," Jin's gaze glanced behind me and raised his hand. "Oh, Hoseok!" he waved.

I stayed still and didn't turn around. I heard Hoseok's voice, chirpy as he had always been. "Eh? Noeul? What are you doing here?" His presence finally came to view and Jin began to excuse himself. Hoseok took a seat where Jin had seated as I looked up to his face, holding back my tears.

"I'm just a bet?" I asked.

He laughed, "What are you talking about? I was betting with you, remember? We agreed to-"

"No, before that. I was just your bet, to prove that you can be bad?" Hoseok's smile faltered and I already knew what he meant. I sniffled and stood up, "Well, congratulations, you have proof that you broke someone's heart."