Bureau 22

Marriage Bureau

CHAPTER 22
SONG NOEUL

 

"Sleepover at my place tonight," He said, making me blush while I tried to compose myself.

"What makes you think that I will?" "Because I'll be here after your work ends." "NO HOSEOK-"

"Bye~~ wifeu!" He cooed as he drove away. There was no doubt that I couldn't refuse his offer. Or rather I would be the one who got forced and then obliged to his request. A small smile formed at the corner of my lips as I felt the warmth in my heart. I heaved a sigh as I entered the elevator. The door closed and my reflection came to view. I.. was glowing. Never had I've seen myself so healthy. Could it be because.. I blushed the moment I remembered yesterday? It was then my gaze shifted to the redness on my neck and  I knew what it was.

DAMN IT JUNG HOSEOK!

Just as the elevator door opened, I pulled my collar up, covering my neck. I flashed and awkward smile to the staff that just entered as I watched the elevator went up. It was a long tortured moment before I reached my level. As soon as I was out, I hurried to my office where my team was there.

"You're late today? I got news from Namjoon that you had to enter work late. Is everything alright?" Eri asked, concerned.

"Oh?" Did Hoseok really tell Namjoon about that?

"Yeah, Namjoon said that you were sick," Sooji said.

"Oh.. I.." I faked a cough. "Yeah. I'm okay now. Just alright," Passing by the girls as I took my seat and settled down. I placed my files down when I glanced to the ring on my finger, I looked up and noticed that the girls were focused on their work. I hid my hand under the desk as I took off the ring and kept in my pocket.

Hoseok and I exchanged vows between the two of us. I had accepted it willingly. But it didn't feel right. I felt like  I was cheating myself.  It felt like  I was accepting it because I  felt lonely, hurt and just needed a sense of comfort. I wasn't in the right of mind to say yes to him. Or was I just being afraid to take the leap?

"What is that?" My thoughts shattered as Eri asked, pointing to me. "What's what?"

"That," Eri squinted. "On your neck?" . I wrapped my hand around my neck, covering it. "IS THAT WHAT I THINK IT IS?"

I blushed and denied immediately. "No! It was just a mosquito bite!" I reasoned. Bad lie. BAD. LIE.

"OH RIGHT," Eri smirked teasingly as Sooji did as well. The door of the room opened as the remaining three members entered in. "Hey guys, Eul-ie has a mosquito bite. On her neck," she teased.

"OH REALLY?" Daeun almost screamed.

"And a big one," Eri laughed. "I bet Hoseok-"

"Yeah, Eri. Tell the whole world about it," I retorted, sounded pissed. The team was taken aback by my sudden annoyance. Then the words that I didn't mean to say had slipped right out of my mouth. "Why didn't you tell the whole world how you use this room as your personal meeting with the CEO?"

The room began to remain silent. I am the worst. I am like a child. I am immature. Eri's face began to grow red and her eyes began to waver.  She forced a small smile, "Wow."

I heaved a sigh. "Eri.. I'm sor-"

"At least I'm honest with my feelings. I love Namjoon and everyone knows that. What about you?" Eri hit the mark as she confessed. But I saw none of the rest that seemed so surprised by it. So it seemed that they already knew? Perhaps she was right, maybe I was caught up in my own world to even realise what was happening around me?

Both of us hadn't fully resolved with the matter at hand. The day I had found them was the day, I had my problems at home mixed up with work. It was their love life and I had no right to feel upset about it. In fact, I had no right to feel overprotective of the people around me at all. I shouldn't have cared. But I do. Was I ignorant or was I being protective?

"You act as if the world only revolves around you," Daeun held Eri, trying to calm down. "You act as if no one is there for you - then what are we, UNNIE?!"

"I'm pathetic!" I yelled back. "Alright? My brother's getting a divorce and I feel like . He's the only person I looked up to, a person I had hope that he would set an example for me, and a person that would change my mind about a perfect marriage!" I slumped against my chair and sighed. "It disappoints me and upsets me. It wouldn't be this much hurt if it was a mutual argument but that freaking cheated on his wife! What do you want me to say? I am ashamed!" Breathless. Painful. Regardless. But a relief off my chest. Lighter than usual, it was like as if everything I had, I let out. "I'm sorry," I said before I took necessary things out. "I'm going to meet my client. See you kids for debriefing later."

I left.

And no one stopped me.

*

"Thank you for actually letting me try Flinders despite the fact that my mother made me do it," Kim Daejun, one of my clients said. "I actually hesitant about it but I think we," he turned to his wife, "We worked things out. It takes time but I guess that is how it is," he said and I looked confused. "I mean when we're angry at each other, we just give time. And when we're ready to talk, it'll become a new conversation that you never know. An honest one."


I smiled as I bowed towards the feedback. "I hope both of you would last till 'death do us part'," The words sounded distaste on my lips but they understood my joke and laughed.

"I definitely would like to recommend my best friend to seek Flinders for help, and especially to look for you," he complimented. I bowed yet again. I don't deserve his flattery. As my client finally left, I looked at my watch. Few more hours before the debrief. And I had to face my team again. I was pushed to the point where words that didn't mean came out. I didn't mean to shame Eri but it happened. I did it.

I tucked my hands into my blazer pocket when I felt the ring. I took it out and stared at it. It was the family heirloom from his family. The stone was of that green Emerald color, which was just so soothing to look at, the ring that held the stone was of lighter shades color of gold. It was just beautiful. Hoseok had been kind. Perhaps I should see it in a different light. Perhaps that I should understand that I accepted him because he had been there for me all the time. He had been by my side throughout my worse. "Yeah," I muttered to myself. It was indeed because of that.

The front door of the cafe opened as I heard rowdy conversations from a group when I realised it was my team. I clutched the ring in my hand as my eyes widened, seeing them coming here. "W-What are you kids doing here?"

Kiran took a seat beside me, while Jisoo took another side. Sooji sat in front from Kiran and Daeun in front of Jisoo when Eri took a seat in front of me. She looked away the moment our gazes met and obviously, she was mad at me. I had hurt her. I hurt her at a moment like this. It was her personal life and I wasn't supposed to attack and shamed her like that.

"We are here because it has been a long time since we had a coffee drink together," Daeun said. Dumbfounded and I knew what kind of person Daeun is. She never left things like that. Despite the fact of everything, she tried to create harmony amongst us. If it's not me, it would be her. "I'll get the orders then," She stood up to leave.

"I'll help you!" Sooji volunteered.

"I'll see what kind of sweets to order," Kiran left.

"I am sure that I want to try some new coffee," Jisoo said as she left along with Kiran. Planned as always, I smiled to myself. They wanted to me to talk things out with Eri, definitely. I observed Eri in silence as she tried to look around the surroundings instead. Either she didn't want to say anything or perhaps she didn't know how to begin.

"I'm sorry," I said. Eri startled and turned to me, finally. I bowed sincerely. "I was insensitive. I knew that you were just teasing me."

"No," Eri shook her head. "I should be the one who'd be sorry.  I was insensitive too."      

"You didn't know," I replied leaving Eri speechless. "You didn't know what was I thinking. It was a natural thing that you always tease me off an on. But I guessed, I reached my breaking point that I lashed out everything on you. I'm sorry for saying things that  I  shouldn't have said but assumed things, the rest of the team knew about you and 
Namjoon?" I asked when she nodded. "Great."

"Unnie," Eri called me in form of respect when she was serious. "I.. I hope things would get better for you," She said apologetically. "I won't understand how you feel really but I hope that you would.. at least know that we all are here for you."

"Five years, Eri. We've been together for five years. But we never know each other on a personal level that much, because we don't really share things to each other. It wasn't because we don't trust each other - it takes a lot more than trust to fully ensure that a person understands what kind of problem you're in. So to speak, it wasn't because I didn't trust all of you, it was because I find it unnecessary to let you guys into what I am going through."

A tray placed on the table as Daeun filled in the seat. "But you should at least share it with us. Keeping it in and letting you sinking into depression is a no-no," Daeun said as she had already overheard what I had said to Eri.

"I wouldn't deny that I wasn't depressed. It is hard to be even positive when the words kept on replaying on your head and the scene that I had seen with own eyes. It was just unbelievable," My eyes grew watery. "My brother broke my heart, imagine how much he broke his wife's heart? All the vows, the promises in front of her late father, her mother, her family, and cousins?" I choked. "I was ashamed because I had expected my brother to be better. To be better than my own father."

"Life isn't what it always seems. Even the closest can be someone whom you wished they could be but they aren't," Kiran said.

I let out a small smile, "Words of wisdom, Kiran."

"How long have I known you though? My silence isn't just ignorance. I observed too," Kiran smiled as she patted my shoulder.

"Aww," Daeun smiled. "Don't you feel better now that you finally let it out?" She asked her gaze met with mine. "We are all here for you, Unnie. So have a little break for yourself. Lean on us. We may not know what or how you feel, but don't keep it to yourself. Bottle up is a no-no. It's unhealthy."

"I can't promise, but I'll try."

"That would be a start if you try," Sooji said.

"And how long have all of you known in regards to Eri and Namjoon?" I changed the subject, making Eri taken aback by surprise.

The rest of them glanced to Eri who looked back as she smiled bashfully, "Before that day, Eul-ie. They already know."

"And I'm the last to know?" Eri nodded as she looked at me apologetically. "Well, it's okay. I really hope that you would be happy with Namjoon. He is a good guy."

"Good? He's great!" Eri beamed, earning peals of laughter from one another. The Eri that I knew came back eventually and all of us began to talk randomly about things and such. It dawned to me that they should know about myself and Hoseok as well.

I smiled inwardly to myself, pulling my hand towards me as I slipped the ring into my finger. "I have news to share," I said.

"Are you and Hoseok getting married?" Daeun laughed along with others as she questioned randomly.

"Am I that predictable?" I said only to have them looked at me dumbfoundedly. Smiling, I playfully showed them the ring in my hands as their expressions turned from confusion to big gasps as their mouth dropped open.

"ARE YOU SERIOUS?!"

"IS THAT WHY THERE'S A BIG MOSQUITO BITE?" Eri asked almost loudly as I shushed her while laughing.

"I am not going into details with that."

"I love you, girls!" Daeun randomly blurted out as she began to pull Eri into a hug, embracing one another. "The news is just the best news that I've ever heard today!"

*

We were on our way back to the office for the final debrief and calling it a day. Right at the lobby, I saw the familiar suit that I had seen this morning and Hoseok had been waiting for me just as he promised. "Oh my god, why is this moment the sweetest?" Eri swooned. "I swear I love seeing you both together."

"Stop that," I straightened myself before heading into the building. Hoseok turned his gaze to me, flashing his beautiful handsome smile before waving to the girls. "You're early."

"I told you, I'd be here," He said. My team knew that we needed privacy for a moment as they scurried off towards the elevator area.

"I need to debrief first."

"You know, I'll wait-"

"Jung Hoseok? Hoseok!"

My eyes widened and Hoseok startled upon hearing his name being called. Apparently, she had just exited the elevator, passing by my team when she saw him. She approached towards him with her high heels clicking throughout the lobby. She was gorgeous. And then it dawned upon me.

Sun...hee? I noticed a lanyard that was hung around her neck and the company name that was imprinted on the card. SHE WORKS HERE?

"S-Sunhee?"

Ahn Sunhee, Flinders. Executive Manager, Finance Department.

It was like an instinct for me. The amount of protection within me suddenly build up. I didn't know what I was doing, but I know what I was stopping it from. Sunhee's hands were about to reach Hoseok's shoulder when I cut in between and stood in front of Hoseok. Her look of surprise then changed to a frown. "W-What?" She glanced to me, from top to bottom and realised, "Oh I remember you. You're that woman who came down to see Hoseok? That day?"

"Yes, I am."

"Noeul-" Hoseok's voice whispered in my ear, trying to calm me down. But I stopped him.  I glared at the woman standing in front of me.

"You should know that I am Hoseok's girlfriend?"

"Ex-girlfriend," I emphasized and she twitched in annoyance. "For the record, Hoseok is now my husband and I am his wife," I said, showing her the ring in my finger. "If you're trying to win him back, I suggest you don't do it because he's taken by me and he's mine. So unless you have some work business in which your department has with FaceNotes  - which I doubt it - I suggest you don't touch or contact my husband in any way.  If you're trying to destroy our relationship, I swear before you could do that - I would   be the first to stop you."

Sunhee was baffled and irritated by the answer that she had slapped in the face with. She inched herself closer to me with a smirk, "What makes you think that you were the first one that Hoseok got you in bed with?" She mocked, slightly tapping her finger to my blazer, revealing the lovebite. "Before you, there's me."

"Noeul, don't believe-"

"If you want to lie, you have to be very good at it," I cut Hoseok's words before he could explain. Sunhee by now was very annoyed. And indeed, I could see that she was already lying from the start.

Hoseok understood that this would be the cue to move away, he grabbed me by the wrist, "Let's go. No point talking to her," he said as he pulled me ahead. I glared at her still, passing by her and that was when the time stopped.

Sunhee grabbed my hair and pulled back as I screamed. She held my shoulders and shook violently, slapping my face as she pulled my hair and I struggled out from her hold. It was catfight. It began. I tried my best not to fight back because it would only reflect the anger that I had been holding in. I tried to push her away in defense. Sunhee was losing herself.

Hoseok tried to stop when my team stopped him instead and tore Sunhee away from me. In the end, it was a crazy catfight chaos as the girls got involved as well. This changed the game.

I have my rule now. To hell with what Hoseok thinks of me. If someone messes with my girls, the person is messing with me too.