Bureau 15

Marriage Bureau

CHAPTER 15
SONG NOEUL

 

"Would you let me take care of you, tonight?"

How in the world that it became like this? I was staring straight at the ceiling in my comforter and here he is, besides my bed watching me falling asleep. I blushed. "I can't sleep if you're looking at me like that."

He smiled and his dimples showed. "I told you that I'm taking care of you, didn't I?" He held my hand and intertwined together. He titled his head, resting against his arm, gazing. I shifted my position to sideways and began to stare at him as well. The silence between us wasn't a bad one. It wasn't awkward but endearing chemistry between us. The silence made my heart skipped, feeling nervous all of a sudden. His fingers caressed my hand gently, his smile never faltered from his face.

And it happened. My reaction happened.

I was supposed to not react to anything when it comes to Hoseok. My other hand reached for his hair and gently touching it. Hoseok remained smiling, and his teeth shown. He was feeling ticklish. He chuckled like a young boy. I pulled back and I saw his dimples yet again and began to touch it with my finger. I smiled.

"You should smile more, it suits you," He said breaking the silence. And it hit me. I was about to pull back my hand when he held onto both. "Don't push me away," He said. "I know your heart, remember?" He smirked.

I blushed and sat up. "No. I can't sleep like this. Please go on home," I suggested instead. He didn't move but constantly staring and smiling at me. I urged him to go yet again but instead, he got up and took a seat on the edge of my bed. I looked at him in disbelief. "Jung Hoseok!"

I pulled him by his wrist forcing him to stand up when he grabbed my wrist and pulled me towards him instead. It all happened too fast as I gasped. He laid down on my bed while I fell on top of him. My hands that held were resting on his chest, our faces only inches away as a smirk formed on his lips. "I told you, I'm taking care of you."

"S-Stop kiddin-" My face became red as it is and my words cut short when he turned himself around, making me lied on the bed instead. "H-Hoseok-"

He smiled, planting a kiss on my forehead as he helped me to bed, he tucked me in before lying next to me. "Don't worry, I won't do anything. So please, sleep."

Do you know what's unfair? Jung Hoseok.

But I felt that I was more unfair to him. I still haven't given him a proper answer to his confession. It all started with a bet, and I knew that by now, its no longer a bet.

As those thoughts kept on swirling in my head, gradually I fell into a deep slumber and his smiling face was the last that I remembered.

*

*beep*beep*beep*

I woke up with a start. The ceiling was the first to greet me that morning. I groaned and shut off the alarm before turning to my sides. No one was beside me. Was last night a 
dream? I was feeling horrible because of my own personal conflictions. I sat on the edge of the bed and my cat sat patiently in front of me and began to groom herself. "Where were you last night?" I mumbled when I saw a written paper on the bedside table.

'I made some simple breakfast, have them and also fed your adorable cat, keke.' - Jung Hoseok

I checked my phone for the missed calls and messages and it was none other from Soojung and my brother. I scrolled through the messages one by one and there was one caught my eye.

My brother's message.

'Sorry' was what he said. I found myself tearing up by myself once again. This problem of mine needed closure. If this keeps on going, I couldn't work at all. Indeed, blood is thicker than water. No matter how much I hated or disappointed in him, he is after all my brother.

'Its fine. I've forgotten  about  it.' I replied instead of acknowledging him that I had read his message. It was painful. But life goes on, and I have to follow it. I have to move on or I will never find my own happiness.

I got up and ready for work, I had to put all my troubles aside and focused on working the best. I must reboot myself, telling the reason why I was working with Flinders from the beginning, to help people find love - and that was what I had always in mind.

It was the usual morning with my team, splitting tasks and what not. "I'm going then," Eri grinned widely more than usual. I would assume that Namjoon and her had made up since the day she found out about the bet game thing.

"The usual same client, today!" Daeun sighed. "I hope I won't die of boredom."

"How could you say that about your client?" Sooji quipped in as she had a file holding against her chest. "You should understand that they are looking for love after all."

"But sometimes, they get pickier than we expected," Kiran commented.

"Yeah! It frustrates me so when that happened," Jisoo pointed out, agreeing with Kiran.

"But I can't wait for lunch!" Daeun exclaimed, "I'm going to have a date with Kim Taehyung!" She beamed in embarrassment. The ladies congratulated her for her goal and I found myself smiling inwardly.

They working yet they still looking for love at the same time.

"Sorry to burst your bubble. Can I ask something so weird?" I said when all of them turned to me. "Why did you work here on Flinders? When clearly you can have other jobs?"

Their facial expressions faltered and Eri was the first who dashed towards the seat beside me, "ARE YOU QUITTING?" Almost yelled to my face.

"What? No.. I was just-"

"BECAUSE IF YOU'RE QUITTING, WE DO IT AS WELL," Eri screamed.

"Wait- Hold on," I looked at all of them when they're suddenly nodding to Eri's statement. "I never said anything about quitting. Where did you even get the idea from?" I stopped 
when I remembered that I told Hoseok that one time, I had wanted to quit before he insisting on the bet. "Hoseok," I sighed.

"He tells everything," Sooji laughed.

"I'm not quitting, I'm just asking."

"I stayed because I have a good team leader," Kiran said. "I wouldn't have stayed if not for you and the fact that you believed in doing good for people. You think of others too much but not yourself. We have been a team for five years, and I'm sure that the rest felt the same. We wouldn't have stayed if you had been terrible at your job."

"Your positive mindset and aura just help me to keep going. When I'm down, you just know the words to comfort people," Jisoo said. "You're just our mood maker."

"Is there something do you want to share, Eul-ie?" Eri asked and it took me by surprise. I felt flattered at the same time I didn't know how to respond. "No, nothing." I shook my head and smile. "Just go and do the task," I said to them. "As per usual, we'll debrief once you've completed the list of clients."

They were unconvinced by my answer but they didn't probe further. Honestly, I was too ashamed to even share the problem that I have.

*

My mood was great in the morning until the end of the day. I hadn't felt so great like today before. I was motivated for some reason or was it because I'd be able to push my problems aside and focused on what was in front of me. I headed home, feeling drained. Opening the front door of my apartment, I unlocked and pulled the door handle down when everything happened in a flash.

I was pushed from behind, the things in my hands fell to the floor. My knees got scrapped and then I heard the door close. I turned around, my eyes widened in fear. A man wearing in black and his face had covered as well. B..Burglar.

I gasped in wanting to scream, when he straddled on top of me, his gloved hands covered my mouth. I shook my head violently, struggling as tears began to well up at the corner of my eyes. "Stay still," he said, leaning in. The next moment was when he finally got a hold of my buttons. Something bad was going to happen.

I forced all my strength, hitting his groin and violently thrashing myself. When I got myself free from his grasp, I dashed to the kitchen to arm myself. My trembled hands had made everything I hold onto slipped off from my fingers. I was overwhelmed with fear and afraid. Pair of hands finally wrapped around my waist, "LET ME GO!" I screamed. I tried to step on his foot and he screamed. Turning around, I gave a quick multiple hits to his head with my hands and pulled his headgear off.

 

My heart stopped and sank upon looking at who the burglar was. "Surprise?" He smirked.
 

"What are you doing..?"
 

"What I should have done when you push me away, years ago."