Bureau 01

Marriage Bureau

CHAPTER 01
SONG NOEUL

*beep*beep*beep*

I slammed the alarm clock shut as soon as it annoyed the hell out of me. My face had been buried into the pillows, my blanket was all over the place. I opened my eyes to see my little cat sitting patiently waiting for me to... feed her.

This is my daily life. It sounds like those of the drama that people watched and such but this.. is the reality.

I groaned as I forced myself to wake up, fed my cat, took the towel before heading the showers. Just like any other day, I would get ready... for work.

"7 AM!" I screamed as soon as I finished prepping my makeup, hair and everything else. I slipped on my favourite sneakers despite my formal wear and began to rush out like any other day.

Boring.

Yes, my life is boring. But I couldn't complain. Despite its mundane activities, my life is great, just nothing interesting going on. I have dreams but those dreams are only for dreaming. I have no goals but just getting a paycheck every month to survive.

Did I just say my life is boring?

"Morning, Eul-ie!" And greetings always comes in as soon as I opened the door. They usually called me, 'Eul-ie', its a short term for Eul Unnie. Not that I really care about how they called me anyway. I always put on my best smile, of course with sincerity and greeted all of them.

I've got a very good job, a good position and of course being a good team leader that I am to them, I got them their drinks every morning. "You've got my drink wrong," Sooji, one of the youngest staff said.

"No complaints, all of them are black coffee. Anything else, just add milk or sugar if you'd like. Be thankful that you have a good team leader to pamper you guys," I said before taking a seat along with them. "Sorry I am late, just another morning," I groaned, opening my laptop began to login into my work account.

"You're always late," Eri chuckled. "Did you got to hook up or something?" She smirked, resting his arm on Sooji's chair. Suzy looked at me with huge interest, propping her chin into her palm.

"Shut up," I looked at her dead-panned. "I reached home, I just watched some random drama that is broadcasted on the tv. And where is the rest of our team?" I changed the subject immediately.

As soon as I spoke those words, the meeting room door barged open with three drenched women. "I can't believe it rained on me. Like, I didn't bring an umbrella for God's sake!"

"You were late," Daeun quipped in as she placed the bag on the chair. "Sorry, Noeul Unnie, can we begin a little later?" She said and left for the bathroom before I could even give the answer.

I turned my gaze to Kiran who sighed. "Don't ask," She stopped me with her finger. Kiran was my assistant, usually, she was the first to arrive and prepare everything. No wonder today seemed so different to see the young ones arrived first.

"Song Noeul," I looked up to see my boss, Kim Namjoon entered the room. I watched as the youngsters began to straighten themselves and bowed politely to him. I found myself smirking. "Your result yesterday was fantastic. You actually hit most of the target for this month."

I shrugged, still in my seat. "Eul-ie," Eri widened her eyes, saying that I was disrespecting the boss.

"It's fine," Namjoon smiled, his dimples shown and Eri stood froze, obviously mesmerizing by his charms. "I am used to Noona's personality," he laughed. "And I really appreciate as much if all of you actually loosen up when seeing me. I prefer to be friendly."

"See," I said as I stood up. "Are you here just to say about yesterday's results? If you are,  you can thank the team. Without them, I couldn't have got the target."
He laughed. "Of course, not just that. Actually our company has been invited to one of the social networking dinners by FaceNotes, tonight. And because your team has met the target for this month, I realised that your team needed some well-deserved attention," He raised his brows, winking as his dimples deepened.  "Thanks for the hard work ladies, Flinders appreciates it."

Namjoon smiled and headed out when the other three began to enter the room. "What just happened?" Daeun asked. "Why did the CEO come here?"

"We've been invited by the FaceNotes for dinner tonight," Sooji said. "Because our team had reached the highest target of successful matchmaking for Flinders."

"Wow, then I guess we should really dressed up really well," Daeun said, "Whatever for?" I asked.

"Unnie," Kiran quipped, "Do you know that FaceNotes' is a male-dominated company?"

What?


"I knew someone in FaceNotes there, okay. It's not fully male-dominated. And why are you all so desperate into finding a guy?" I shook my head as I began to pass the printed papers.

"We are not, Unnie," Daeun said. "It's called networking at the same time trying to get numbers and then lists out those you feel or want to date with. It's being social." "Please, last time I checked you, yourself are anti-social."

"Savage," Sooji coughed.

"Yah, don't you start," Daeun pointed to Sooji who could smile.

"If you ask me, Boss had invited us for dinner, I think we should just go. It'll save on my dinner expenses besides, networking or not as long as I have food and good coffee, I'm all good," Jisoo commented earning waves of laughter amongst the team.

*
I had split the tasks and clients to the rest of the team. The fact that all of us might have self-esteem issues but when work calls, we just go ahead and do our best. Perhaps that was one of the reasons why my team considered to be one of the best.

Not that I am bragging but teamwork makes dream work.

I arrived at the cafe earlier than my client, I had caramel macchiato on my right as I glanced through his profile. Ideally, he likes someone who cooks, read books and sporty just like him. He didn't mind about his ideal types but just as long as the person loved him for who he is and always look out for him.

"Tough," I muttered to myself. "Well, you must be still in dreamland, boy. Where the hell am I going to find a wife for you?"

"Sorry, I'm late," He cleared his throat as he took off his blazer and ed his collar. He settled himself down into his seat and smiled widely. "I am really sorry for being late. It's just all of those preparations and meetings. It's hectic."

"You could have called and arranged another day," I said, professionally.

Jung Hoseok, 24, he didn't have the best look but something about him was just intriguing. I shook my thoughts, telling myself that he is my client.

"How can I?" He laughed. "My mother made me do this and she really asking me to get wife soon. I am just doing this for her sake so that she would stop asking me over and over again. If it works then, it's all good. If it doesn't then, it's not my destiny yet."

"You're doing this because your mother asked you to?"

"Yeah." Oh god.

He is still a kid, he is not yet mature and how is he going to handle his relationship like this?

"Sorry, but," I cleared my throat, trying to clear my head and find the right words to say. "Most of my clients came to look for someone to love, they meet and they really try to make it work."

"Yeah of course."

"But you sounded like as if you're doing it just because," I said when he rested his back against the chair. A smirk formed on his lips and I found myself being captivated by his gaze. I couldn't move, I sat still when he leaned forward, resting his elbows on the table. "Well, I believe in fate and destiny. If it's meant to be then it will. If it's not, why do I have to have my heart broken over and over again?" He said as I went silent. "Love is a beautiful thing. But it needs trust and communication. This matchmaking thing is a trial. If I like the person, then so be it but do you know that I won't really give her my all because it's to protect myself."

I wanted to argue but he has a point. Unknowingly, I found myself clenching the paper. Of all the clients that I had met, none was this honest and confident to talk about love life. It made me think that he had experienced more than just heartbreak.

"Tell me, Song Noeul," He knew my name since I had introduced myself when we first spoke on the phone, "You had never been in love, do you? Despite your job is to find love for people?"

*

My hand hurts like hell. I never felt so disrespected because of what I do. I gave him a piece of my mind, unconsciously giving him a slap across his face. I felt my whole body trembled like as if someone had completely ruined me.

Jung Hoseok, I never thought, someone like him would ever exist.

My phone rang as soon as I was about to head back to the office. A message from the team. They had insisted me to come no matter what it was. I swore that I wasn't in the mood after what had happened. Perhaps a dinner gathering with FaceNotes would help me calm down.

I headed towards the venue. I headed out from the cab after payment and there I stood, glancing to the building. FaceNotes really worked well for a social networking site. I went in and met up with the girls.

"You came!" Daeun approached me. "And you didn't change," she looked at the work dress I had on earlier. My team looked beautiful. They were all classy and dressed to impress.

"It was just a gathering dinner that we were invited. Besides, I just touched up my makeup. Nothing more," I smirked.

"Still, Noona can look good," A familiar voice quipped in. "I'm glad you and your team able to make it," Namjoon looked perfectly charming as ever in a tuxedo. I noticed that 
Eri was already swooning. I could see that she had feelings for him. I chuckled.

"Thank you for inviting us. I assumed that we're here to network as well?"  

"Oh, for tonight, just enjoy. I am friends with FaceNotes' bosses."

"Bosses?" Eri looked at me. "You mentioned that you have friends."

"Of course, I did mention that," I said.

"Noeul?" I turned to the source of the voice and my smile widened as soon as I saw him. "You're here!"

"Jin!" I smiled widely as we exchanged hugs with one another. "You knew Jin hyung?" Namjoon asked.

"He's my classmate," I said.

"Well, he's my senior in University," Namjoon mentioned. "Small world."

"Indeed," I laughed and turned to Jin as we exchanged few laughs. I introduced Jin to the ladies and they were all mesmerized by his handsomeness. He had grown up so much that he lost a lot of weight since young. A lot.

"Yes, indeed a small world."

"Ah," Namjoon turned around as he greeted the person that I knew.  My smile faltered as our gazes met. He smiled wide to the rest of the girls as I stood stunned.

"Ladies, I want   you to meet my friend who is also one of the co-founders of FaceNotes, Jung Hoseok."

CO-FOUNDER OF WHAT?

As his gaze glances through the ladies, he stopped when his eyes met with mine. He smirked and approached closer to me, offering his hand.

"I'm Jung Hoseok and I believe this is one of the fate, the destiny that I talked about."