Bureau 13

Marriage Bureau

CHAPTER 13
SONG NOEUL

 

A week had passed and I had recovered well. And yes, a week since the truth happened and by now, Hoseok would be hearing from me if I did ever fall for him. I did. I wasn't sure of myself. I was just afraid. And also the things that are happening in my life, I just couldn't focus anything else but trying to have my family fixed. My family wasn't perfect like Hoseok's. I got jealous of his family. I won't deny that they, themselves might have ups and downs but when it happened to your own, you just felt the denial so strong. You couldn't even believe such things could have happened.

You just want someone to save you or slap you in the face to understand and moved on. "I'm here for Song Noeul," I just left the pantry when I overheard the conversation at the front lobby. A lady was looking for me and I knew her.

"Jang Dahye," I called out when her gaze met with mine.

She looked at me like as if her world had fallen apart. "Song Noeul!" Dahye approached me as she buried her face against my chest and cried. Awkward and surprised, I glanced around and have dozens of pairs of eyes observing what was happening.
Jang Dahye, one of the clients that I actually had helped two months ago. She was sobbing hard and crying non-stop. "I'm...sorry," She cried. "I'm sorry that I couldn't-" She sobbed again.

"Take your time," I smiled and listened to her.

She began the story of how the problem happened. It had been a good one month for her but then moving to the second month, everything started to fall apart. The guy that I set up with began to grow bored of her and search for someone of his own. He cheated behind her back. He didn't even tell her straight that he wanted the relationship to be off but instead, he just cheated on her. Infuriating. What does this girl doesn't have that he have to look for another? "I'm sorry," I swallowed my anger and apologized. "I should have done more background. I couldn't believe he could do that."

"No," Dahye shook her head. "It's fine," she wiped her tears and smiled. "In fact, I felt better now that we ended off the relationship. Also, I know what to expect from the relationship now," she said. "So I thank you for all your efforts. I just wanted to meet you today to tell you that."

My lips parted.

"And," Dahye paused as I looked up to her, "I understand that not everything is rainbows and butterflies. Sometimes you have to walk through the muddy path, get hurt and get over it. Love and life are just the same, don't you think? Oh, I must have rambled too much. Thank you for listening, Noeul. I shouldn't bother you. And thank you for all the things you've done. Hope we can meet up for lunch one day," I returned a smile to her as she pulled me into a hug.

I bid her goodbye as she left.

Not everything is rainbows and butterflies, huh?

*

Meeting at Flinders with all the team were chaotic. We had been placed in one big room and it was like a war, especially my team, "You didn't do a single thing, how can he have the credit?" Jisoo asked.

"I can claim because I'm friends with Namjoon," Min Yoongi rebutted.

I sighed. "Did you even tame him?" I asked Namjoon who was just smiling, with his dimples shown, hands tucked into his pocket. "What is that smile?"

"A beautiful smile," Eri cooed beside me, I turned and looked at her disbelief.

"I couldn't because he's my hyung," He laughed, "Also he has his own shares with us. You can say that he's part Flinders, part Tweedles?"

Jisoo stopped upon hearing those words. "He is WHAT?"

"So stop being rude to me," Yoongi looked at Jisoo who finally retreated and took a seat. "I can do whatever I can do. As long as Flinders do well, I do have my share of credit whenever Flinders made success."

The meeting went on smoothly as we discussed the success target, once again made by my team. The rate of successful marriages from Flinders had gone up by ten percent. Those are just numbers, but Flinders won't really know if those marriages were barely holding up. Like how any other company is, Flinders is one of the companies that care for good reviews but zero s about bad ones.

Upon the end of the meeting, my team and I were about to pack up and leave, I was stopped by Yoongi. "Noeul," I turned and looked at the three of them - Jungkook was included.

"What is this..?"

They bowed formally to the ground and apologized to me what had happened between myself and Hoseok.

"You.. were in it together..?" Eri asked Namjoon in disbelief.

"Eri," I stopped her before she could even explode. "It's fine," I turned to the three of them. "I don't want to talk about it. Please." Hoseok had told the entire story that day despite my sudden outburst. He calmed me and began to tell the entire story, about his life, his past and what was all the bet about. Despite all of those, I felt he only told a gist of it. There was something more because the day Jin spoke about it, I swore I felt uneasy. Hoseok didn't mention about it.

But like what Kiran had said it was just a stupid thing, what Hoseok did may be wrong but, Hoseok didn't mean it either, did he?

My team and I left the room and Daeun caught up to my pace. "You're too nice, Unnie."


"Your Kim Taehyung was in it too."

"WHAT?"

"That was what Hoseok told me. So, for the time being, can we not talk about it? I'm still sore," I said.

*

Work ended as usual and I headed back to the opposite side of the usual route. I got a gift on my hand as I headed up to the floor of my destination. I wasn't ready to see them. Any of them. I swore that it would be awkward.

*ding*dong*

"You're here!" Soojung beamed. She looked healthy upon giving birth to a healthy daughter. I passed her the baby gifts to her. "Come in," she led me in and my gaze met 
upon his. My brother. The brother that slapped me in front of the woman that he was with. I couldn't forget it. Never. He chose that woman over the family. A family. My hands on my bag gripped tight. A baby was in his arms. He became a father. "Noeul?" Soojung's voice broke my reverie as tears began to roll down my cheeks. "What's wrong?"

My visions blurred by the tears that were in my eyes. I looked at the baby in his arms, gave a kiss before wiping away. In this room, in this house, the love was only for the baby, other than that, the love died. I bowed to them apologetically and left, headed out in a crying mess.

I wanted to give them faith to their own marriage but my heart just felt nothing to it. I couldn't pretend at all. Not in front of them. Not in front of anyone or even Hoseok.

I felt nothing but ashamed.

Taking out my phone, I called out to the first person that I thought of, "Hey, the week is over, can I meet you at that place?"

Safe haven.

Top of the hill, able to see the lights of the city. Beautiful night view always. A place where I could keep myself sane. A car pulled to a stop nearby and I heard him exiting out of the car. He panted upon reaching my side, he remained standing. I turned my gaze to him, concern was written all over his face. He was frowning because I had called him while I was crying.

"Not everything is rainbows and butterflies, huh?" I chose to say.

Hoseok didn't say a word, instead, he pulled me close into an embrace, holding me tight. My face buried into his chest and I broke down for the umpteenth time. The comfort he gave was always on time, at the right time and always when I needed the most. I didn't care for the bet anymore. I returned the hug and pulled him closer as I cried over and over again.

"Please don't leave me," I choke in between my tears.

"I won't."

That was Hoseok's promise.