Chapter 21: Worries

Youth
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

A mess. 

 

The Kim Empire, in just a span of months, turned into a complete wreck. 

 

Before, the empire was the biggest construction company not just in the country, but in whole Asia. However, the moment that the Kwon and Kim Heiress went home, the business took a 360 turn. 

 

From a venture that builds buildings for other companies, the empire started to dream of conquering other industries. Chaewon wanted a mall, while Eunbi planned for a five star hotel. Both are great, both are big projects… and both take a lot of money. Money that, well, The Kim Empire might not be able to give alone.

 

Yes, yes, Mr. Kim is rich to another level, but to build a mall and a hotel complex at the same time, with intricate details and instructions from their heads, might just be impossible to do by themselves. 

 

That’s why all departments got shook at the amount of problems all of them faced the moment both projects were taken to reality. Thankfully, they have a savior about to come their way. Who else?



 

The heiress herself, Kim Chaewon-ssi.



 

She might be brutal with her actions and words, but they just can’t deny the amount of intelligence she possesses, especially after saving the whole company from bankruptcy with just a month's worth of meetings abroad. 

 

Oh wait. Actually, it’s even shorter than that.

 

Seems that the heiress hurried, because she managed to close the deals with their European investors in just three weeks. But that isn’t the staffs’ concern anymore. What’s important is that they’ve already passed one of the many obstacles of this project. Everyone is celebrating…



 

… Especially the Finance Department.



 

“WHOOO, JUST GET MORE BEEF!” Chaeyeon screamed across the restaurant room reserved for the whole department. They were having a party after the hardest week of their lives.

 

The whole office was in chaos just a week ago, trying their best to cut corners and plan their next step financially. Even Yujin, who was just used to signing papers as a manager, voluntarily contacted every connection she could use to help her mates. She also helped her colleagues in explaining to other departments their situation. Even some who she doesn’t talk to but meet everyday in the office were surprised to see their manager staying ‘til midnight just to make the problem more manageable.  

 

That moment, she proved to them why she was the manager.

 

But today, she’s… Missing?

 

“Where’s Ms. Ahn?” Some of their officemates asked, munching on the grilled beef. 

 

Yujin’s extra effort to socialize with other people led to more blossoming friendships. Everyone in the Finance Department realized that maybe, just maybe, their Manager Ahn isn’t just about fun and games. She’s certainly not weak, too, like what others said.

 

“Well, not sure, either. I haven’t contacted her since earlier. Let me check.” 

 

Chaeyeon walked away from the crowd, all while signaling them to just enjoy the meal. She then took out her phone and dialed the number of another face that she hasn’t seen since earlier, too.

 

“Hello?”

 

“Yah, Kim Minju,” Chaeyeon greeted. “Where are you and Yujin?”

 

“H-Huh?” The girl on the other line was surprised. “Are you a psychic? How do you know I’m with Yujin?”

 

“Minju, sorry to say, but it doesn’t take a psychic to guess it at all.”

 

“Ah, is that so?” Chae can hear the embarrassment in Minguri’s tone. “Well, we just went to a cafe before going there. We know they don’t sell coffee at the resto.”

 

“Alright, I get it. Can you pass the phone to Yujin?”

 

“Sure.” Minju said, doing as she was told.

 

“Hello-”

 

“AHN YUJIN YOU BETTER BE HERE RIGHT NOW, DON’T KEEP MINJU TO YOURSELF SHE’S ALSO OUR FRIEND-”

 

“I get it, okay?!” Yujin yelled back. “Gosh, we’ll be right there.”

 

“Good. I’m gonna hang the call now- Oh by the way, if I won’t see you, I’m using your credit card to pay.”

 

“What-” And Chaeyeon already ended the call, as promised. “Aish.”

 

“Why? Problem?”

 

“Nothing, let’s just go ahead, Chaeyeon’s fuming.” Yujin said as she opened the door to exit the cafe.

 

“Okay, it’s just close here, right-”

 

Suddenly, a car quickly ran beside them, hitting the puddle who in return, hit Minju in her polo shirt.

 

“Yah!” Minju and Yujin tried to stop the car but it was too quick. 

 

“That jerk,” Yudings gritted her teeth. “Are you okay?”

 

“Yah, I’m fine. Let’s just let it go, the driver might have a good reason to not stop.”

 

“What’s a good reason then? A finance meeting?”

 

The two stopped in their tracks to look at each other. 

 

“Yujin… you do know you’re pertaining to yourself, right?” Minju checked, recalling the first time they met.

 

The two remained silent for a second, until both of them busted into laughter. 

 

“Y-Yah, that’s not the point. Your shirt’s dirtied up. I know you won’t be able to bring yourself to wear those clothes.”

 

“Yeah, it’s such a shame… But I can’t go home either. It’s about an hour ride from here.”

 

The two looked around, hoping for an answer to their problem. Thankfully, Yujin has thought of one. 

 

“Well, I know a place. It’ll take about 30 minutes, 15 even, if we’re fast.”

 

“That’s great! Where is it?”

.

.

.

.

.

"... My house?"

************

“Hello? Is this the mechanic shop?” Wonyoung asked through the line. She pressed the phone next to her ear just to avoid the road noises and people talking beside her near the bus stop.

 

She’s currently in front of the Kim Empire building, annoyed at how out of all the other days, her car chose to give up at this crucial time. She feels more humiliated thinking that other staff from the empire can see their CEO’s daughter-in-law get stuck in front of their company because of a flat tire.

 

“Ah yeah! I got your number from a regular, Miss Honda-ssi. May I ask if you can-”

 

Wonyoung stopped in her tracks when she heard a loud screech. Looking in front of her, it came from a lamborghini, which made people around look back. 

 

“Don’t tell me.”

 

Wonyoung stepped forward, bringing down her phone for a while. 

 

“... Chaewon-ah?”

 

There she is. The future of the Kim Empire, covered with a brown, thick coat that matches the cold winds. 

 

“Long time, no see.” She waved, taking off her shades.

 

“Y-Yah! I thought you won’t go home ‘til the day after tomorrow?”

 

“Well, it was supposed to be like that,” Ssamu replied, leaning on the bumper. “But I can’t miss an important event for my wife, huh?”

 

“How-” Before Jang could even ask, Chaewon already started explaining.

 

“I asked Hitomi to “guard” you, right? Well, she also told me that your board exam results will be out today. Told my father about it yesterday, he said yes so I flew here though-”

 

“Let me guess, helicopter?”

 

“Well, I would if it’s just an hour away. Unfortunately, it would be an 11 - hour flight, so I just took a private plane.” Chae explained. “Good approach, though. You’re starting to know how I think.”

 

“Aish, seriously. Why are you even here? I can go on my own.”

 

“Really?” Kim Heiress chuckled. She then looked back on Wonyoung’s car. “Looks like one of the wheels is sick, though. Come on, I’ll drive you there.”

 

“What nonsense- No way!”

 

“What do you mean no way? Wonny, you have a flat tire, it would take some time to fix it. Besides, wouldn’t you want to arrive at your school with this car?” The other gal boasted.

 

Wonyoung thought for a while before giving Ssamu the death glare and placing the phone back to her ear. “Hello… Uhm, actually, can I just send you the location and maybe you can tow it to your shop? I’ll just pick it up after.”

 

Wonyoung looked at her wife once more and saw her waving the gold car keys in front of her.

 

“Yes. Yes, alright. Okay, thank you so much, will send you the location. Thank you.” Was the words the taller said before ending the call and snatching the car keys. “I’ll drive.”

 

“Wha-” Chaewon was still about to say something but just rolled her eyes and let the girl do what she wanted. 

************

Music Recommendation: Hello by Red Velvet's Joy :))

 

“You sure you study here?” Chaewon asked in disbelief.

 

The trip to the girl’s school isn’t completely awkward. To be honest, Wonyoung was kind of surprised to hear that the heiress brought food before coming to her. She also tried to start small conversations, to which she answered with short replies. 

 

And now, inside the car, looking at the banner of the school, Ssamu is a bit stoked.

 

Seoul National University

 

“Why? Do you think I’ll be accelerated by two years in Middle School and one in High School if I’m not smart?” The law student lightly bragged before going out of the car. She then knocked on the car window. “I’ll be back, just stay here.”

 

Just like what she has said, the tall gal entered the school and was surprised to see dozens of people hovering around trying their best to take a peek at the bulletin board. Most of them are probably from different schools, as Wonyoung can only see a few familiar faces. 

 

Sure, she can just stand from a distance and look at the papers, but to be honest, the students are really in a panic and it can be hard to see, especially with her bad eyesight. And so, she tried to step closer but as soon as she did, she felt a sense of anxiety fill her body, reminding her of the trauma brought back by the club incident. Scared, she took a couple of steps back, breathing slowly, just like what the therapist advised her when in need. 

 

She doesn’t really know how to look at the board, not until a small shadow appears beside her.

 

“Stay here.”

 

“Who-” Before she could even identify who it was, Ssamu had already dived inside the spaces between the students.

 

 Wonyoung, realizing what just happened, found it very funny and at the same time, worried. 

 

Is Chaewon okay with crowded spaces? She might just be annoyed or something-

 

Not even finishing her thought process, Ssamu appeared from the right, sweating while holding a torn piece of paper.

 

“Yah! That’s for the board exam result!” One of the students complained, gathering the attention of many.

 

Instead of replying, the heiress just gawked at them with those sharp eyes and realizing who she is, they awkwardly bowed and apologized. 

 

Looking back at her wife. She gave a smile.

 

A sincere smile.

 

A proud one. 

 

As she reached Wonyoung the paper she tore. “Here.”  

 

Shaking, the law student took it.



 

Oh wait.




 

She’s not just a law student anymore.

 


 

The gal held her breath as she read one of the names on the table.

 

 

 

Jang Wonyoung, Seoul National University, 81.20

 

 

 

“Hey, are you alright- Wait!” 

 

Chaewon was startled when the other girl just took off, leaving the paper on the floor. 

 

Baffled, the heiress quickly took the paper and placed it on the hands of the one who complained to her. “Here, I’m done. Thanks.” And went after the gal.

 

“Yah, where are you going?! Jang Wonyoung-ssi-”

 

“T-That was real, right?” Wonyoung asked, hands clasping each other. They’re now in front of their car. “Y-You’re not pranking me or anything?”

 

“What? Why would I even?” Chaewon defended herself.

 

“Just answer me-”

 

“No! I am not pranking you, gosh.” The heiress rolled her eyes.

 

“T-Then,” Wonyoung faced her with the most blank look Ssamu has ever seen from her. “D-does that mean that I’m a lawyer now?”

 

“Well, as far as I know, considering your situation, you have to get certified first before-” Chaewon glanced at her wife and saw how much she was waiting for her answer. She smiled to herself.

 

This must really be her dream, huh? 

 

Instead of continuing with her technical explanation, Ssamu just nodded. 

 

“Yes, you’re a lawyer now.”

 

Saying those words, the taller felt like a thousand thorns were plucked out of her heart.

 

“So, you better work for our company, Ms. Jang or else-”

 

The Kim wasn’t even able to finish her sentence as she is already caged between the arms of her better half. 

 

“Hey, you alright?” Chaewon tried to look at her face but Wonyoung already let go of the hug, wiping the bottom of her eyes. This alerted the heiress. “Y-Yah, are you crying?”

 

“Nah, just a little overwhelmed,” Wonyoung reasoned, smiling. It’s the biggest she has ever seen from the girl.

 

Chaewon smiled back. “Do you want to eat out then? Let’s celebrate your success. You like beef, right? I know an expensive beef place somewhere.”

 

The lawyer slowly shrugged. 

 

“Hm? Ah, I know now… You must be craving for a drink. Don’t worry, I just bought some wine from my trip. It would be perfect-”

 

“I don’t want to eat in a luxury restaurant right now, and I am most certainly ain’t in for a drink.” The taller one confirmed. 

.

.

.

.

.

“I want to go somewhere.”

************

“Wow, your house is kinda huge." Minju commented as her eyes wandered around Yujin's humble abode.

 

"It's not much, but is surely enough." Yujin proudly said. "Mom's probably still at the office, that's why it's empty in here."

 

Minju walked slowly around the furnitures just to get a grasp of the place where Yujin grew up. She then noticed the frames resting on the long table in front of the couches. Excitedly, she went in search for Yujin, but to her dismay, only her pictures as a manager was there. 

 

"Yujin-ah, if you don't mind me asking, why are there only a few pictures of you here? Where are your baby pictures? And highschool pictures?"

 

"Ah," The girl hesitantly answered. "Well, I was homeschooled my whole life, so I didn't really bother taking pictures. And as for my baby and kid pictures... I don't remember them so I figured it would be better not to put them up."

 

"A-Ah, I get it." Minju nodded before looking down, shy and unsure if what she asked is okay.

 

Thankfully, Yujin immediately noticed the difference in her. "Don't worry about it. It's not that sensitive to talk about anymore."

 

Minguri smiled at this, though she still kept that in mind. 

 

"Here's my room." The manager said, opening the door. 

 

Minju sure as hell wasn't surprised to see different shades of blue on each part of the room. The lampshade, the bedsheet, even the little fidget toys that Yujin keeps on her special pastel blue shelf. At first look, it can seem a bit vibrant, but the more you look into the details, the colors could actually be a bit calming.

 

"Here,” Yujin handed a blue, str

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter