Chap 16: Admit

Youth
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It’s nine in the morning and Wonyoung woke up to the aroma of freshly roasted coffee and the mouth-watering smell of Egg Benedict. Though a heavy sleeper, the bunny immediately stood up from her bed at the hint of food being prepared downstairs. She went to the bathroom and fixed herself. Though really hungry, she doesn’t forget the fact that she’s already married and must always look decent before leaving her room. 

 

She looked at the mirror and gave a satisfied smile. Her hair tied in a high ponytail, wearing a simple black shirt and a pink pajama on. After putting on some lip balm and moisturizer, she ran outside her room to the kitchen and saw the breakfast on top of the dining table.

 

She rubbed her hands together and was about to attack the food when she was halted by a voice.

 

“Didn’t know you’re up already,” Chaewon said, taking her apron off, revealing a pretty, ‘Sunday's best’ beige dress. “Our luggage just came so yeah. They’re beside the room’s door if you haven’t noticed.”

 

“Wait, you… Cooked all of these?”

 

The heiress nodded. “Well, yeah, just found the ref full of ingredients. Why? Is there a problem?”

 

“N-Nothing. I just thought that you can’t cook since you have maids.”

 

“Well, in Europe, we don’t have any,” Ssamu explained. “And I need to learn since we can’t survive on Eunbi-Imo’s cooking.”

 

Both chuckled at the silly joke. Wonyoung then cast her gaze back to the plates and drool almost came out . 

 

Chaewon smirked at this. “Go.”

 

“H-Huh?”

 

“Indulge yourself. Eat.”

 

“Really?” Wonyoung’s eyes glistened in pure joy. “Thank you.”

 

But before she can even reach the utensils, the heiress has already slid a piece of paper in front of the bunny. 

 

“Oops, not that easy. Sign here first.” 

 

The Jang just looked at her, puzzled. 

 

“Well, I saw some piece of paper underneath the couch last night, looks like the house hasn’t been cleaned enough, but that’s fine. And then thankfully, I always bring a pen wherever I go. So, let me introduce our terms and agreement.”

 

“Our what?”

 

“You see,” Chaewon started, playing with the pen. “Every partnership must have its limitations and contracts, right? Well, this is ours. Ready?”

 

Before the taller could even disagree, the heiress has already started with explaining each rule she wrote.

 

“Number one, for the span of seven days, we must rest in that room alternately.”

Chaewon pointed the room upstairs before continuing. “Reason? For the past years, I slept on a cold, hard bed and I don’t want to experience that again, not even for just a week.”

 

Wonyoung bit her lip, her stomach is rallying in hunger. Absentmindedly, she nodded at her first request.

 

“Second, we have five rooms, right? Well, two of them are yours, two are mine and the last one we’ll be used whenever the media are visiting us here. Get it?”

 

Another nod.

 

“Lastly, we’ll divide the chores among us two.”

 

“Huh?” Why? I thought your father hired a maid and a driver?”

 

“Well, I declined the offer. Besides, do you want someone to see us in our real status? We can’t risk being caught. It’ll be easy, I’m sure. We’re always at work so the house won’t really be a mess.”

 

Chaewon leaned on the kitchen island. “I volunteer in doing kitchen chores. Cooking, washing the dishes, anything like that. How ‘bout you?”

 

“Hmm… Wash our clothes?”

 

“We have the washing machine for that, but you can separate the laundry.”

 

“Then I'll do that. I’ll also clean the pool and garden area… Make some changes inside the house, too.”

 

“Seems nice,” Ssamu handed the pen to the bunny. “Alrighty, right. Just one signature and it’s a deal-”

 

Before her wife could even finish her sentence, Wonyoung has already signed the papers. Neither she or Mr. Jang knows how to cook real food, that’s why they lived eating canned ham, cereals, instant noodles,  or any food that even a preschooler can do. They do eat in some fancy restaurants, but only if they both have a free schedule. 

 

And now, seeing all of this cuisine waiting right in front of her makes her do insane things.

 

“There,” Chaewon said, raising the paper to the light. “Okay, bon appetit.”

 

And Wonyoung dove into the food… Well, not really. Because before that spoonful of heaven reached came loud, multiple knocks.

 

“Coming!” The heiress yelled, jogging to their main door, wondering who could it be. Wonyoung reluctantly followed her. 

 

It’s such a good thing that the bunny already put on her makeup this early because the knocks are actually from 2k-Plus, a famous broadcasting agency that also owns an entertainment channel. They're also the owner of the biggest newspaper printing press in the country. 

 

“Oh, hi! Good morning, newlyweds,” The interviewer greeted with a huge smile. “I’m sorry to be disturbing your honeymoon phase this early but we did not get to interview you last night as planned. Though we don’t want to stop you from enjoying the day, you know, we can’t be late for any major news.”

 

The cameraman and another staff who’s behind nodded in agreement.

 

“Is it okay if we come in and have a little chat? I promise that it’ll be short and simple.”

 

“Uh, yeah, I guess,” Chaewon said, trying to sound as welcoming as she can. “Come in, come in. Do you want anything? Coffee or juice?”

 

“No, no! We’re already fine, maybe if we can just setup-”

 

“Uh, sorry to interrupt,” Wonyoung shyly stepped in, grabbing their attention. “If you’ll excuse me, I have to change into something more decent first. I can’t let myself be on national television with just a black shirt, right?”

 

And she chuckled fakely, just to please the unwanted visitors.

 

“I’ll be back quickly, just put on some nice dress and go. Please hold on for a moment.” 

 

And the bunny took all the energy that’s left in her to go upstairs, take her luggage and change into something nice. 

 

She hasn’t eaten breakfast, signed a contract through having a lot of doubts about it, and now, she has to face three people and fake it again with Chaewon. 

 

“What a great start.”

************

“Morning,” Yujin greeted, walking to the group of engineers having their breakfast.

 

“Oh, you’re already awake,” Engineer Cho replied, moving to create some space on the bench. “Come and have breakfast with us!”

 

“Nah, breakfast isn’t really a habit of mine but go on, don’t mind me please,” she answered politely, at least sitting with them. 

The engineers continued their lively chat but something is off. One of them noticed that Yujin kept on twisting her head in different directions. 

 

“Miss Ahn? Do you need anything?” The engineer asked, sipping his cup of coffee. 

 

Yujin looked back, shyly smiled and scratched the back of her head. “Sorry for not listening, but… Do any of you knows where Kim Minju might be? I mean I’m thinking she’s with the designers but I don’t see them anywhere.”

 

“Oh, the designers,” Engineer Cho got reminded of them. “They went for a little walk, you know, get some inspiration. They said that they’ll also check the furniture at the crating shop since the interior really is the thing they signed up for.”

 

Yujin nodded, understanding their point of view.

 

“But… Minju is one you’re with yesterday, right? Your tentmate?” One of the engineers added. “I… Don’t think I saw her with the designers. But I did catch a glimpse of her getting inside Architect Kang’s car.”

 

“Hyewon?” Yujin mumbled. “Did Architect Kang told you anything about where they will go or the reason for leaving?”

 

The mid-aged guys shook her head slowly. “I don’t think so. You know, your friend is a very funny yet private person. She won’t tell anyone.”

 

“Don’t worry, Miss Ahn,” Another one of them advised after noticing the sudden worry in Yujin’s gaze. “If your friend is with Architect Kang, then she’s safe… But she might not go home single, though.”

 

And loud waves of laughter erupted from the said table. Some of them are clapping and some are grinning at the joke of their coworker. 

 

“Excuse me, what do you mean, exactly?” Yujin asked innocently, but the engineer thought that she got offended at the tone of her voice.

 

“I-I’m really, really sorry… We’re not insulting Architect Kang or something here, okay?” He replied.

 

“He’s right.” Engineer Cho seconded. “We just often joke about how charming Architect Kang is. I mean, if I’m just the same age as her and doesn’t have a wife, I would definitely admire her beauty and brains.”

 

The other engineers agreed to his statement. 

 

“We really think that the architect has this effect on people that they can’t say no to her. In short, we feel like Ms. Kang can be with whoever she wants to be, let it be a boy or a girl.”

 

Yujin felt dry up for an unknown reason? Maybe because she knows that they’re right? But what exactly is she scared about?

 

“What we’re trying to say is that if Ms. Kang finds your friend special, and if she’s really passionate to win her heart, then it won’t really sound impossible. They're both beautiful and intelligent as well... A perfect pair.”

 

Another gulp to ease her drying mouth. Yujin cannot help but reach for an empty glass and the pitcher full of ice-cold water.

 

“Are you okay, Ms. Ahn?” One of them worried.

 

“Y-Yeah, yeah, I’m fine,” The pup replied, still coughing. “I just felt something… weird.” 

 

“Maybe you’re not used to visiting construction sites since you’re always sitting in your department office.” The head engineer hypothesized, standing up. “Come, I’ll tour you around while your friends are still enjoying their day.”

 

And Yujin followed the guy. But even when they’re walking, she cannot get the thought of Minju and Hyewon off her mind. She mentally slapped herself.

 

Shut it, Yujin. What are you so worried about? Hyewon is a friend, you can trust her. The same goes for Minju. Besides, they’re both single, independent adults already who can decide for themselves. There’s nothing wrong, okay?

 

Nothing wrong.

************

“Bye, bye!” Wonyoung yelled, waving. “See you again some other time!”

 

Once they’re gone, the bunny quickly shut the large main door of their house and groan in annoyance.

 

“I’m sick of these! Argh, they are so annoying, messing up with someone’s private life.” Wonyoung pouted before walking to the kitchen.

 

“You should get used to it,” Chaewon nonchalantly replied, reading a book she packed in her luggage. “You’re a celebrity now.”

 

“I’m not talking about the interviews,” Wonyoung said, raising the plate full of goodness. “What I’m talking about is this! My food is already cold because of them!”

 

The ‘short interview’ became an hour-long presscon. Wonyoung can’t answer properly at their questions because she’s been worrying at her dish. 

 

And her worry became a reality. The food resting on top of the kitchen island is now cold and it’s drool-worthy smell already disappeared.

 

“Oh, come on. You’re just an overreacting brat,” Chaewon replied. “You can just reheat it, you know?”

 

Wonyoung just looks at her, pissed. “You really don’t know the importance of things, can you? Even if I reheat it, it will not taste that good anymore. And for your information, I am not an overreacting brat. I just know how to appreciate because not everyone is granted something.”

 

But the heiress shrugged her off and continued reading. Wonyoung clenched her jaw and rolled her eyes. The bunny climbed upstairs, her anger taking a toll on her.

 

“H-Hey,” Ssamu stood up, ready to fight for her room. “Are you going to my room?? You signed the contract, remember? That room is mine for today-”

 

“I’m not going in, okay?” Wonyoung turned to her before taking something from her luggage that Chaewon doesn’t know what. “If you need anything, I’m just in the pool area, get some fresh air.”

 

“And the food?”

 

“Keep them, reheat them, or straight eat them. You be the judge. I already lost my appetite talking to them and especially to you.”

 

Wonyoung kept on walking until she reached the sliding door on the kitchen that leads to their garden and swimming pool.

 

“Stop right there!” Chaewon shouted, standing up, trying to assert dominance. “What exactly will you do?”

 

“That… is none of your business,” Wonyoung slid the door and went to the other side. Before closing it, she peeked and gave a mocking glare. “So stay the hell away from it.”

 

The door closed and the heiress is left alone, speechless. She can already see herself getting headaches from the girl in the near future. She’s worse than a kindergartener, heck, her face alone is annoying. If she’s just her secretary, she’s long gone fired but sadly, she’s her wife.

 

Chaewon closed her eyes, trying to stop her blood from boiling further. “Aish, that girl, really…”

 

She picked up the magazine from the couch and walked towards the only open room. 

 

“I’ll just sleep this. It’s better than to just think about that crazy lawyer.” 

 

And she slumped herself to the big, warm, cozy bed and succumbed to the exhaustion she has felt after doing many tasks this morning.

************

“Why do you care so much?” Yujin is already tired of herself thinking about her two friends all day. 

 

It’s already lunch break at the site and her friends are still aren’t back. Throughout the tour, she can’t help but think about them. 

 

Where are they? What are they doing? Is Minju comfortable? Has Hyewon already made a move in her? Is it an official date? How much has Hyewon already knew about the frog?

 

Those questions are just examples. There are more important things that she wants to ask, but how can she do that? Hyewon and Minju aren’t back yet. And she doesn’t even know when will they arrive.

 

Yujin hits the sink in front of her. She opened the faucet and washed her face thoroughly. She also wets her hands and combs it through her hair. 

 

“Ahn Yujin, stop,” She mumbled, lightly tugging her hair. “What is wrong with you? You should be happy that you’re friends are together! They are hanging out, trying to get a hold of each other! You have no right to be mad. Get it, Yujin?” 

 

She lets out a deep sigh, looking down.

 

“Just admit it… You like Minju, Ahn Daeng Daeng.”

 

The puppy chuckled at this. She sure has been affected by Hyewon’s words last night. 

 

“I mean, I get the point why many people, including Kwangbae, might develop a huge crush on her. Yeah, Minju is one fine lady. She’s smart, caring, understanding, beautiful, witty, family-oriented, hardworking… Almost perfect. But she’s also clumsy, and a bit of slow when it comes to jokes.” Yujin said, talking to her reflection in the mirror. “Also, have they seen her smile? I swear her eyes disappear every time. And her upper dimples? Just… Cute.”

 

“But I can’t understand why Hyewon thinks that I like her. Yes, she understands me, reacts great to everything I say. Almost the same interests, the love for coffee we have is just… something. And yep, she accepted me without any judgment— well, she did judge me back then—”

 

Yujin then jokingly shook her head and looked up. “… But no way. I-I don’t like Minju, that’s for sure. She’s just… a really, really cute friend of mine. Yeah, I guess something like that. I mean, me liking her? Psh, no way… I will never-”

 

Ahn stopped on her tracks and looked at her face in the mirror and realized everything that she has said. She saw how her own expression changed from a joking one to a face filled with seriousness, worries, and regrets. 

 

“Oh my God, I sound so dumb.” That is the first sentence she has let out after the breaking point, and she said that so slow like she was just realizing it.

 

The girl then bit her lower lip in anxiousness. “I…”


 

“… I do like Minju.”

************

“Busy, huh?”

 

Wonyoung stopped from writing and gazed beside the sliding door to see Chaewon holding a tray, walking close to her. 

 

“What are you doing?” Wonyoung raised one of her eyebrows. “Didn’t I told you to stay the hell away?”

 

“Well, sorry to inform you Jang, but I don’t follow the law.” The heiress said, resting the tray on the table of the hut, sitting in front of the other girl. 

 

“What’s that? Your diary?” Chaewon mocked, though trying not to sound so offensive. 

 

Wonyoung looked up in a second, hugging the pink and blue notebook, almost piercing the heiress in half with her stare. 

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter