Chapter 20: Icebreaker

Youth
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Yujin-ah, let’s date.”

 

 “Yujin-ah, let’s date.”

 

 “Yujin-ah, let’s date.”

 

Her own words last night repeats in Minju’s mind the second she stepped inside the Kim Empire, causing her cheeks to heat up. She still can’t believe that she had the courage to say that, but it’s not something that she regrets either. 

 

The analyst kept her smile while riding the elevator until she reached their designated floor. After seeing their head analyst through the transparent glass wall, she excitedly entered the finance’s conference room.

 

“Nako! Nako, I gotta tell you something-”

 

“Minju! Perfect timing, hold this,” The smaller girl said, handing over a small confetti popper.

 

“... What?” Clueless Min looked at her hands. “What is this for-”

 

“Surprise!!” Nako’s scream was heard after Sakura opened the door. The Japanese girl shuddered due to shock, typical Sakura.

 

“Stop scaring me for God’s sake!” Saku-chan chuckled, hands on her chest.

 

“Don’t worry, Kkura,” Minju, who’s already on the floor, reassured. “I got scared, too.”

 

“Oh, come on, you’re both overreacting,” Nako rolled her eyes, before helping Min to stand back up. “It wasn’t that surprising, you’re both just scaredy cats.”

 

“Fine, fine… But does anyone mind telling me what’s happening?” Minju sarcastically replied. 

 

“Mm, well,” Nako and Sakura looked at each other. “As you already know, the Kim Empire is very generous to its employees. Ever Rise, for example, gives us the time to party and enjoy despite work. The same thinking goes for project heads.”

 

“Every year, Mr. Kim assigns a department to lead the company’s projects, be it big or small. Last year, it was Quality Control. And this time, it was us.”

 

Minju nodded, understanding the situation. 

 

“Ms. Ahn took responsibility for the biggest project, the Heiress’s E-Mall, because- Well, Ms. Kim kinda forced her. Chaeyeon is handling the partnership with our former rivals in the local industry. I, on the other hand, accepted the offer to handle the deals from Europe. Our colleagues are also handling different projects but as you may have already noticed, it’s assigned by our ranks or positions.”

 

“But what about me?” Minju dived deeper into the conversation.

 

“Of course, yours is an exception. Yes, you’re also leading the E-Mall although you’re still supposed to be a rookie, but you’re working there mainly as a designer. Your sketches are needed.”

 

“Okay, there’s that. But why are we exactly celebrating?”

 

“Well,” Nako cheekily smiled, prolonging the last letter. “Ms. Kwon, Mr. Kim’s sister-in-law, finally had her project laid out. Basically, it’s a 50-floor hotel named as 2K, a product between the Kim and Kwon companies, hence the name.

 

“Ever since announced, Ms. Kwon has been recruiting the best from each department for this one. But since almost all of us are not around, there’s a chance that the person to close the deal is…” Nako pointed at the other Japanese girl. “… This gal right here.”

 

“Oh my gosh, really?!” Minju exclaimed, proud. “That’s sooo great! I’m so happy for you, Kkura!”

 

“Well, it hasn’t been officially announced yet but thank you, guys.” Sakura grinned warmly, touched at her friends’ congratulatory messages. “I’m not sure if I can do it but I’ll try my best.”

 

“Come on! I’m sure you can.” Nako reassured.

 

“Yeah, yeah, for sure! Never doubt yourself, Kkura.” Minju said, raising a ‘fighting sign’. 

 

She then glanced over the outside of their room and saw a familiar silhouette waiting.

 

“O-Oh, I think I need to go for a minute-”

 

“What? But we have something to do-” 

 

“This will be quick, I promise.”

 

“What-” Nako got curious and looked at the same spot Minju’s eyes are on. She then giddily smirked. “Nope, you’re not allowed to go outside.”

 

“Huh? But why-”

 

“Not until you tell us what you’re supposed to say earlier.” Nako continued. “Did you really think you could escape? I might have a lot of things going on my mind but I ain’t forgetful. I know you were about to say something earlier so just spill the tea, Min.”

 

“Well…” Minju’s voice faltered.

 

“Well?”

 

“I…” Minju looked outside once again. She can’t just let her wait outside. Suddenly, it’s embarrassing to do so. “I-I need to go!”

 

“What the-”

 

“Just let her be.” Sakura tapped Nako’s shoulders. “She’ll open up one day.”

 

“Oh, by the way,” Minju said before closing the door. “Yujin and I are dating.”

 

“Okay,” the two said.

 

A moment of silence.




 

WHAT?!


 

“YAH KIM MINJU!!!”

************

Yujin cleared . By the way Minju said the news so casually, she just hopes that the frog won’t notice her red cheeks.

 

But she was the one surprised when Min turned around to look at her with those crimson blush. 

 

“Hi,” She greeted. “Sorry, the girls were asking so I had to say something.”

 

“No, no, it’s fine,” Yujin smiled. “Just… Are you hungry? I just bought hamburgers on the way here. I know you don’t eat breakfast.”

 

“Burgers sound like a good idea. Where do you want to go? Cafeteria?”

 

“How ‘bout… on the usual?”


 

“Wah, the air is really great here, especially in the mornings.” Minju opened her arms wide to greet the cold breeze passing at the rooftop of the empire.

 

“I’m still surprised you aren’t scared here.” Yujin said, following Minju to sit on the side of the roofless room. “I mean, I just thought that you’ll be someone who’s scared of heights.”

 

“I mean, if you left me here, I’ll probably be scared to death. But, as long as I have someone to talk to then I guess it’ll be fine.”

 

“Alright then, let’s eat some breakfast here!” Yujin said, stretching a bit.

 

They sat on the floor with burgers in their mouth as they shared a conversation and learned new things with one another. They also talked about their work, especially on the E-Mall project. It might look like some small, petty talk, but they’re already been here for hours just catching up on the day they haven’t met yet.

 

Out of nowhere, Yujin sighed.

 

“Hey, any problem?”

 

“Huh, no, nothing,” The manager replied. “I just realized how bad I am with dates. I mean, the farthest place I can take you was the river, and that only happened once. We can’t even make time to go to the cafe at the corner because of how busy we are at work.”

 

Minju noticed that Yujin is really down because of the said reason so she thought of a way to cheer her up.

 

“Hey, hey, don’t worry too much about it. It’s not about the place, as long as we get to know each other better then I call it a date.” 

 

“But still-”

 

“But if you’re persistent,” Min took out her phone, checking the calendar app. “We’re free, Friday afternoon.”

 

She said in a suggestive tone that made Yujin laugh.

 

“Why?”

 

“It’s just so funny,” the manager replied. “Getting brave, I see.”

 

“Well, I’m the one who asked you to date me yesterday so I guess… The tables have turned?”

 

The two chuckled at the frog’s remark.

 

“I guess so. But might as well return the favor, right?”

 

Yujin then held out her hand. “Wanna show them the power couple of the year?”

 

“Yah,” Minguri chuckled, yet reaching for the other’s hand. “Let me remind you that we’re not that official yet.”

 

“… Yet. But we’ll get there.” Once Minju finally stood up, the taller intertwined their fingers. “I’m also trying to be brave, you see.”

 

“Alright, point taken- YAH AHN YUJIN I’M ON HEELS!”

 

Minju can’t do anything but scream when the other gal just takes off like she’s running for her life.

 

They ended up both panting and laughing at their own antics. They’re so into their own world that they forget that they’re still at work.

 

“YUJIN-AH, WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN?!” Hyewon greeted with a bang. 

 

The two halted to a stop. “Why, why? Something wrong?”

 

“Yep, something’s definitely wrong.” The architect said, hands on her hips. “First of all, you’re supposed to have a meeting with Ms. Kwon at 10 am, but you were missing for two hours! Thank God, Chaeyeon went on your behalf.”

 

“Then, I guess it’s all good-”

 

“Nope, Yujin, even Minju knows the protocols. We were looking after you, calling you on your phone, and then we’ll just find out that you’re dating where? On the rooftop?”

 

Minju shook her head down. She knows exactly what Hye means and what work rules they broke.

 

“I… I’m sorry, Hye. We just really forgot the time.” The analyst explained.

 

“I’m not going to let this pass just because you’re my friends. Nako and I are already making a report statement. You both know that you need that, right?”

 

And the two nodded. The girls know what they did was something very unprofessional, and that they are actually blessed to have friends who are ready to correct their wrongdoings.

 

“Look,” Hyewon massaged her temples. “I know that I’m the one who put the both of you together, and it’s not even bad to share your emotions towards each other, your hands, for example,” She said, pointing at their intertwined hands. “But still, just please know your roles. Especially you, Yujin. You’re a manager.”

 

“Yes… I’m sorry,” The gal said awkwardly. Most of the time, she just shrugs off Hyewon’s advice but seeing Minju’s reaction, she guesses that she really needs to listen to her from now on.

 

“Argh,” Hyewon tried to make the atmosphere seem lighter. “I thought Minju’s going to change you into a refined, matured lady but I guess your impact is too powerful, Ahn Yujin. It’s like I’m getting another child.”

 

The two chuckled at her statement, which finally made all of them smile.

 

“Now that I’ve finally done my job of scolding you, guys, it’s time to get some coffee.” The architect suggested to herself. “I’ll be back, people. Get back to work!”

 

And the two immediately went to their respective office and work desks. 

 

“I thought there’s no slacking off at work, why is she getting coffee?”

 

“You’re saying something, Yujin?”

 

“N-Nothing!” The taller showed off her iconic smile. “Just enjoy the coffee, Kwangbae.”

 

Hyewon sure knows what she heard but c’mon, it’s Ahn Yujin. There will be no point in arguing with her.

 

The architect just went directly to the snack bar of the department.

 

“Might as well get some fresh brewed-” Hyewon halted after opening the door and seeing who’s inside.

 

“Hyewonie.”

 

“Sakura.” Hye could only reply. “W-What are you doing here?”

 

“Oh, um, getting some candies. Need some energy boosters.”

 

“I see, I see,” Kwangbae awkwardly laughed.

 

Come on, self! Don’t be so obvious! Say whatever the first topic you can think of!

 

“So, uh… You and Chaeyeon are dating?”

 

Oh wow. Great work, Hye.

 

“Um, yeah, yeah,” Saku confirmed. “Chae and I are a thing now.”

 

She already knew about this, but why does it still hurt coming from Kkura herself? 

 

“T-That’s great! I… I should’ve known from the Ever Rise.” The architect pursed her lips. “Wait, speaking of Chae. She’s in Ms. Kwon’s meeting right now, right? And I heard from Nako that you’re expected to be the Finance representative?”

 

“Aish, Nako-yah,” Saku-chan jokingly massaged her temples. “I guess she really can’t stop talking about it. But… Yeah, there’s a high chance.” 

 

“Then, that’s amazing! I mean, we’ve already talked about this back in high school, right? How you want to handle, like, a big case.”

 

“Oh, yeah, yeah, I remember. Actually, even before that, I can still remember how you persuaded me to be a financial analyst because you thought that I’ll be great at it. Everyday, you would state a reason why-”

 

“Then finally, you got tired of it and just followed my suggestion?” 

 

“Nope,” Sakura sipped from her cup of cola. “I thought it’s ridiculous at first. But I guess I have learned to love it due to your stubbornness?” 

 

“Really?” Hyewon asked in disbelief. She then smirked. “Well, I guess you have to thank someone.”

 

“Come on,” Sakura rolled her eyes. “It’s not like I’m not the one who pushed you to be an architect because of your drawings.”

 

“That’s one of my options, though.”

 

“Just admit it, Hye. You were so close to being a Math Teacher.”

 

“What’s wrong with that?”

 

“Nothing, but that just proves my point that if not for me, you wouldn’t be here.” Sakura rebutted.

 

“Nah, I don’t believe.”

 

“Then don't.”

 

“But I’m pretty sure I’m also the one who told you about Kim Empire’s history, because I’ve been here ever since I’m a kid-”

 

“Argh, fine! Just stop being so cocky about it!” Sakura exclaimed in rage.

 

Seconds later, the two laughed at themselves.

 

“Yah, fighting with you is better now.” Sakura commented. “We can understand each other.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter