Chap 15: Lost

Youth
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Living with Kim Chaewon is like hell but mortal version,” Hitomi repeated, walking around the bride’s preparation room. 

She faced the owner of the area. “What happened to that, Miss Jang?”

“Correction, I did not want this,” Wonyoung replied. 

Though in the back of her head, her conscience is already bugging her. 

You want this, Wonyoung. You said yes to her because you thought she’s being sincere.

“I did not want this!” The girl tried to make her best friend—herself, rather—believe in her last sentence. “This is all because of that darn bet.”

“Huh? Wait…  She asked you properly!?” Hitomi was shocked and immediately went on her knees in front of the bunny as if she’s a kid that’ll listen to her grandmother’s stories. “Details please?”

“Are you happy because you won?” Wonyoung asked, annoyed. 

“Kinda, but I’m happier now that finally you’ll be married to the one you’re supposed to be with.”

“But aren’t you in love with my future wife?”

“Hey, that’s too much! I am just admiring her,” Hitomi corrected. Then, a smirk followed. “Also, would you want me to remind you how I got a crush on her?”

Wonyoung’s cheeks turned crimson red at the very moment. 

“J-Just help me pick, okay!?” 

The lawyer faced a set of earrings laying on her bed. She tapped her pouting lips. “Which one to pick?”

“Seriously, you can pick anything and you’ll look great.”

“Yah! I’m the center of attention later and I don’t wanna mess anything up again.” Wonyoung said, bringing her gaze back to the jewelry.

“But I’m serious though. You look fantastic, Miss Jang. I hope you already know it.”

Well, Hitomi isn’t joking. With her white dress, the one that describes her simplicity and elegance, her extravagant jewels, and her shoes with such intricate patterns, Wonyoung looks like an angel on Earth. 

“Really? Are you telling the truth?” 

“I don’t lie, Wonyoungie. Well, sometimes,” Hii answered, chuckling at the end. “But there’s something wrong. Wait, let me fix it.”

The chef stood up and reached for Wonyoung's face to poke both of her cheeks and draw a smile.

“Do not forget the smile, bunny. That will make you the prettiest.” 

“You really are my friend, huh?” 

“Duh.”

And the two laughed. They were preparing the bride for the ceremony when one of the organizers entered the room.

“I’m sorry to interrupt ladies, but we need to check Ms. Jang’s vow.”

Wonyoung’s eyes almost bulge out. The vow! She hasn’t done it. She’s definitely in trouble.

“I-I’m not done yet… Can you check it later? Check Chaewon’s first!”

“Umm, okay. Thank you, girls.” And the organizer left the room.

The lawyer started to panic. “The vow! Gosh, what am I going to do!?”

“Calm down, Youngie, you’re ruining your makeup!”

“But I don’t know what to do!! I cannot make a vow in a short amount of time… And it’s about Chaewon! Who in the world can do a letter full of love for that Kim!?”

Silence. 

The two looked at each other and they both gave evil smiles. 

Hitomi walked to the table and faced her friend. “Wonyoung…”


 

“… Hand me the pen.”

************

“Woah.”

Minju got out of the car and wandered her eyes to the huge construction right in front of her. 

“Amazing, right?” Yujin said, flashing her dimpled smile. “Do you like our car?”

Minju faced her. “I do, actually! Is it yours?”

“Nah, from the company. I told them that we can’t bring our luggage in a motorcycle, so they lent me this nice car.”

That earned nods from the frog, her eyes still looking at the future masterpiece of the Empire. 

“Yujin Pabo!” 

Both looked at the girl from afar wearing a protective hat. 



 

“Kwangbae!” 

Yujin faced Minju. “I want you to meet someone.”

They ran to the lady and on the way, the workers gave them hats, too.

“What’s up?” Hyewon greeted her before hugging her best friend. 

Yujin tapped her back twice. “Better, I guess?”

Both just laughed it off. Kwanbae then looked behind Yujin and gave a meaningful stare. “You must be Minju.”

The said girl quickly stepped forward and bowed. “I’m Kim Minju. Nice to work with you.”

“Don’t be so formal,” Hyewon advised. “I’m Kang Hyewon, one of the architects here. Your boss also calls me Kwangbae. If I’m not mistaken, you already met my voice.”

Minju laughed nervously, along with a fake smile. She did recognize the voice, it’s the person Yujin is talking to when she eavesdropped.

“Kwangbae…” Yujin’s voice faltered, a bit embarrassed that her friend had to bring up the topic.

Hyewon cackled. “I just said that she already met me. Don’t worry, Yujin is already over it, then so am I.”

Minju nodded, relieved.

“Miss Kang!” The three turned their heads when one of the workers called the architect. “Engineer Cho wants to ask something regarding the design.”  

Hyewon raised an ‘okay’ sign. “Thanks!”

She then faced the two newcomers. 

“Miss Kim, the interior designers are inside the tent. You should go and talk to them regarding your new sketches.”

“Okay,” Minju agreed immediately. “I’ll go now-”

“I’ll go with you,” Yujin said, but the frog just shook her head. 

“Go with Miss Kang, I know that you don’t meet each other often and you need to catch up with everything. Don’t worry, I can handle this.”

“... You sure?” Yujin replied. She really wants to accompany the girl to their job but the offer to talk with her childhood friend after a long time is a bit tempting.

Minju grinned, showing her Indian dimples. “I’m certain, Yujin - ah. I’ll go now, okay? Thank you, Miss Kang, I’ll get going now.”

“Careful!” Yujin warned for the last time. She knows how clumsy Minju can get. “If ever you need help, I’m just around the construction area! By the way, where are we-”

She turned around but realized that Hyewon is already on her way. “Kwangbae!”

Yujin ran to catch up with her friend’s pace. 

“Yah! Why would you leave me? Minju already said that I’ll go with you-”

“Why would I wait for you?” Hyewon said, her tone a bit sulky. “You can’t even visit me here on the site! I’m your best friend yet you can’t go here unless work reasons.”

“Hyewon, you do know that I am a busy person, right?” Yujin reasoned out. 

“Oh, really!?” Hyewon stopped walking. “I guess you really are… Too busy that you even accepted another role. You’re the messenger, the finance manager and now, you’re a designer, too!”

“I didn’t want this, Hye,” Yujin tiredly replied. “And aren’t you happy? That new job you’re mentioning let us meet.”

Silence, hyewon realizing that her friend has a point. 

“Besides, shouldn’t I be the mad one? You said you’re going to attend Ever Rise but you didn’t. You promised me-”

“I didn’t promise anything. I told you that I’ll go if I get a ‘yes’. Second, I got sick, okay?” Hyewon explained. 

“Sick? Why didn’t you told me-”

“I know that you’re too busy catching up in the Upper Ten. You don’t have Chaeyeon beside you so I realized that you need to be focused.”

“Huh?” Yujin was puzzled. “How do you even know that? I didn’t tell you anything.”

“Of course, I know. Chaeyeon is with someone I want to be with, that’s why.”

Yujin stopped in her tracks. Slowly, she faced Hyewon with great shock. 

“Sakura!? As in our Sakura!?” Yujin yelled right in front of Hyewon’s left ear.

“Yah, Ahn Yujin! I swear to God if I become deaf, I will kill you.”

The puppy got her senses back and apologized. 

“I’m sorry, sorry, I’m just… Is it really our Kkura?”

Though shy, Hyewon slowly nodded.

“B-But… No… No, it can’t be! Chaeyeon likes Sakura-”

“So? That doesn’t mean that I can’t like her, too.” Hyewon fought back.

Yujin understood her point of view.

“Well, yeah… I guess. Sorry for the harsh reaction.” Yujin replied.

Hyewon just shook her head and laid her hand on the manager’s right shoulder. 

“It’s fine, Ahn Daeng Daeng. At least you already know.”

“I… I just find it complicated. I mean, two of my closest friends both over the same girl? I clearly understand why you both fell for her. Sakura is smart, gorgeous, but most of all… kind and thoughtful.”

Yujin looked at Hyewon with worried eyes.

“But I know that there will be a time that I need to choose between you two… And I don’t want that. I’m also sure that Kkura doesn’t want it either.”

Hyewon bit her lower lip and nodded. “I know…”


 

 

“... That’s why I wouldn’t force her to.”

Yujin’s brows met. 

“What do you mean?”

Hyewon did not answer. Instead, an infamous scene from her past started to create a ripple in her mind.

 

“Mrs. Kang?” 

“Sakura!” Kwangbae’s mother greeted, opening the gate of their humble abode. “Saku - chan, I’m sorry if I bothered you this late in the evening.”

She took a look at Saku's attire. 

“Oh my, it looks like you’re supposed to be somewhere fancy. I’m really sorry, dear.”

“It’s fine, Mrs. Kang. Why’d you call me again?”

“Oh, right. It’s just… My daughter won’t let me or anyone take care of her. I called you because I know that you’re the only one who can help us. Please convince her to let me go and treat her.”

They started to walk inside the area of their mansion. 

“What happened to her, ma’am?” Sakura asked, speeding up to get inside.

“Well, Hyewon and I rarely communicate nowadays. But she suddenly called me, asking for a seaweed soup. Of course, I won’t waste the opportunity to talk with her. But when I got there, she’s freezing. Thank goodness I am with my guards, I brought her here even if she doesn’t want to. But even when we got here, Hyewonie… She’s very independent.”

Sakura entered the main house and dropped her bag on the couch. “Is her fever still high?”

The old woman shook her head. “She still has a fever, but thankfully she agreed on taking medicines, that’s why.”

The cat heaved an annoyed sigh.

“Yah! Are you killing yourself!?” She asked, bluntly entering Hyewon’s room.

“Didn’t I tell you all to knock-” Hyewon opened her eyes and saw the familiar girl. “...Saku - chan?”

Sakura hurried to the hamster’s side and grabbed the wet towel resting on the basin of cold water on her nightstand. 

“W-What are you doing here? S-Shouldn’t you be on-”

“How can I enjoy it when I know that you’re suffering here?! Aish, you brat!” Sakura scolded. “You should let your Mom take care of you. You might be a strong, independent woman who can live on her own but at least lessen your mother’s worry about you. Do you understand?”

Hyewon wanted to fight, but she’s too weak to even do it. She nodded. “I get it, Ma’am.”

Sakura vexed another sigh. 

“You really… What happened anyway? You’re not the type of person who gets sick easily.” Kkura asked, wiping Hyewon’s forehead to cool her down a bit.

“Well, I…”


 

“... I stayed at the drive-in theater even if it’s raining.”

It is indeed true. After the failure of asking the analyst, Hyewon still went to the theater. Using her convertible, she went and watched the film. It’s Titanic, Sakura’s favorite movie of all time. Hyewon smiled as she visualizes Sakura feeling giddy over Jack and Rose, and how she’ll cry at the ending like she hasn’t watched it a million times before. Then, she'll get furious at Rose not sharing the plank with Jack when it’s obvious that there’s space for another person. Kwangbae laughed at this, but it died down very soon.

She’s supposed to be happy… Supposed to be. But while she’s watching, her heart clenched at the thought of Sakura dancing with Chae. It’s a different feeling than being rejected. She’s mad, not at Kkura, but rather herself for being so damn slow. Then, as if in a movie, God decided to play with her. It started to rain, stronger than the usual one, actually. But she didn’t really care. She didn’t care about being soaked, her car was getting ruined… If she’s going to be sick. At that time, she did not care… She didn’t at all.

And now, the girl who is the reason for everything is sitting right beside her… And that made her feel guilty.

“Drive-in theater??” Sakura repeated. “Hyewon-ah, your immune system is strong but that doesn't mean that you can just let yourself catch colds-”

Sakura stopped from her preaching when Kwangbae slowly took her hand. 

“S-Saku - chan,” Hyewon bitterly smiled. “Just go back to Ever Rise.”

“No… No, I can’t. I need to take care-”

“I’ll let my Mom take care of me. Just… go. Besides, I think Chaeyeon is worried right now.”

Yes, she likes Sakura. Both of them do. And yes, she might have an advantage because she’s with Sakura right now. She should be happy, she should be very glad that even though Chaeyeon won the girl’s heart at Ever Rise, Sakura ended the night in her house… But she’s not.

For her, this is cheating. It’s like hacking your favorite game just to get more coins. She’s not really winning, she’s making a fool out of herself.

“Go back, Sakura. Enjoy the night, enjoy it with Chae-”

“I said I don’t want to!” Sakura whined, stress evident in her voice. “I mean, I’m already tired.” 

She looked down and played with her fingers. “Also, I don’t want to see Chaeyeon for now.”

“Why?” Hyewon asked. Suddenly, it’s like her strength is back. “Did she hurt you? Tell me if-”

“She didn’t, okay?” Sakura cleared.

“Then what is it?”

“Well, she…” Sakura tapped her right foot. “... told me she likes me.”

Time stopped for Hyewon. 

“H-Hey,” The Japanese girl waved her hand in front of the sick girl. “You okay? You… got paler.”

“H-Huh? Oh, yes, yes, I am okay.” Hyewon said, clearing .

Sakura nodded. 

“I really don’t know, Hyewonie. I don’t know what I will do once we meet each other again. I just want some piece of advice.”

“A-Advice? F-From me?” Hyewon stuttered. “Why not Nako or that Minju you always talk about?”

“Well,” Sakura reasoned. “They’re friends with Chae, too. Once they know, they’ll just tease me and push us two. You, on the other hand, aren’t really close with her that’s why I think you’ll be a good adviser in this case.”

Sakura then continued wiping Hyewon’s arms.

“Well, what do you really feel in the first place?” Though scared, Kwangbae decided to ask the big question. “It’s all on you, to begin with.”

If Kkura tells her that she likes Chae, it’s game over. She’s certain that it’ll be worse than every pain she got, much worse than the fever and cold she has today.

“Actually…”



 

“... I don’t know.”

Hyewon felt a surge of relief after those words.

“Chaeyeon and I have been friends for a long time. She has done big things for me, and now that I realize it, she does like me ever since. But I haven’t seen us in that kind of relationship before. I just… What should I do?”

This is it. This is your chance to finally delete her out of your way. You can advise her to reject Chae. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity, Hyewon - ah! Go and grab it!

“Honestly, from what I’m seeing…”

Sakura deserves better than a coward like you. That’s what she always says to Lee. But guess what?

 

 

She’s more of a coward than her.



 

“... Chaeyeon isn’t really that bad.”

Sakura almost dropped the towel. She did not expect the answer, she didn’t at all. 

“Chae and I might not be close but I know that she really likes you so… Why not?” Hyewon said, her voice breaking at the very end. 

“R-Really?”

“Yeah… Why? Is there something wrong?”

“W-Well, not really… I just thought that… B-Because you always call me your…”

“My what?”

Sakura laughed and shook her head. “N-Nothing.”

The Japanese gal landed her gaze over the empty bowl of soup beside the basin of cold water.

“Y-You must be hungry… I should give you a new bowl. Wait here!”

“Saku - chan, wait!” 

Hyewon doesn’t have the chance to talk with her again or to even take back what she has said because when that new round of soup came to her room, it’s already in different hands. It’s her mother’s. She asked where her high school friend is and her mom explained that she got ashamed of calling Sakura this late and decided to just let her go home.

 

“Kwangbae? Hyewon?? Hyewon-ah!”

Yujin’s yell knocked off the architect from her little daydream.

“Sorry… Where were we?”

“Well, what do you mean?”

Hyewon’s brows furrowed. “About what?”

“Uh, about Sakura?”

“Oh,” The hamster mumbled, chuckling nervously. “It’s… Nothing!”

She hurriedly searched for a perfect switch of the topic around and saw the engineer waving at her. 

“Look, he’s waiting. I better hurry!”

“Yah, Kwangbae-”

Yujin couldn’t even finish her sentence because Hyewon is already out of her side. 

“Aish, this girl, really…”

The pup doesn’t have a choice but to follow her friend.

************

The wind blew hard, along with the sound of ringing bells. The doors of the church opened and revealed a young woman in a white and silver dress, blue floral headband covering her hair and a stoic face. Chaewon entered the place and her charisma overpowered the crowd. As she walked, all eyes turned to her and she secretly smiled at her effect on them.

They are amazed, as expected.

The strong aura of the heiress contrasts with the peaceful and solemn venue. The church is located right in the middle of a garden, and its walls are decorated with flowers and vines. Everything felt like a fairytale dream… Which is kind

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter