Chap 13: Unmasked

Youth
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The time has come. Unlike the usual, those people entering the building isn't there for work. It's the Ever Rise night, their night. With bizarre dresses and astounding vests and suits, the girls and boys of Kim Empire now have a once in a year chance to enjoy and celebrate the passion and hard work that they have given for the company.

The empire's main hall is the epitome of grandeur. From the chandeliers to the smallest details like the chocolate fountain, everything seems so expensive, to the point that the workers are scared to even touch them. The building screams gold and diamond, elegance at its finest. Well, it is already expected since their CEO hired not only the country's best but the world's, yet it never ceased to amaze them. The night is perfect, but they did not saw what's coming, they did not expect the night to get more… prettier.

Every single one in the center of the room dancing, as well as those who are already munching on the food, turned to face the main door and softly gasped in awe. Standing there is a girl in her white sleeved blouse and black skirt matched with the blue and black mask covering the upper half of her face.

                                                                 

'Wow' is the only word that escaped that staff's mouths. Though they can't identify her fully, that didn't stop them from mentally complimenting her. Then, as if they've been back to reality, everyone returned to what they are doing as if nothing happened. But just as how fast they denied their amusement, the crowd did not expect another wave of shock.

Entering the scene is another gal out of her comfort zone. Wearing a laced, all-black dress and a masquerade mask in the color of white and blazing red that gave emphasis to her eyes.

                                                  

Murmurs are then heard across the room, making the 'fire girl' be a bit conscious. She felt uncomfortable but a sudden tight grip of the 'blue lass' made her feel at ease.

"I told you you'll be the apple of their eyes," Yujin smirked while gently whispering.

Minju rolled her eyes. "I never wanted this, Miss Ahn. I told you I don't want a dress like this. It's… such an attention catcher."

"Well, why not? You deserve the attention anyways," The puppy defended. "Besides, I want your first ball in Ever Rise to be special."

Yujin then offered her right arm to Minju. "Shall we?"

As they started to walk in the middle of the crowd, the gossips started to get louder. No one can guess who they are and Yujin is secretly chuckling at this. It is only when they stopped in front of Chaeyeon and Sakura that the staff realized that the girl they are drooling on is the same girl whom they spread rumors about.

"Scorching fire and Blue flames? Good concept." Chae teased. "Not bad for a first-timer, Yujin – ah."

"Wait, it's your first time to attend, too?" Minju is left puzzled.

"Well, it should have been her fourth, but this girl always refuses." Chaeyeon snickered.

Sakura stepped forward and excitedly hugged her friend. "You look stunning, Kim Minju."

The audience gasped. They just remembered now the Finance Department's pledge.

"W-Well, thanks but I…" Minju mumbled, trying not to be obvious that she's looking at everyone's faces.

Yujin sensed that she's slowly getting shy.

"I think we should hurry now." She said, almost in the form of bidding goodbye. "See you two later."

And the two went to the elevator inside the hall to reach their final destination.

"Thanks for saving me there," Minju said, wiping her sweat while taking her mask off.

Her beauty slightly caught Yujin off guard, but she quickly snapped back.

"I-I told you that I'll protect you here, right? It's my duty so don't thank me for it."

When Yujin asked Minju to the ball, the frog said yes without hesitation. Well, maybe not. Truth be told, she's scared about this ball thingy and also, she fears the fact she and Chaewon will be in the same room. But, just like what Yujin has said, she promised Minju to never leave her side at that party.

"Are you ready?" Yujin asked. Minju looked at her but didn't answer. Ahn furrowed her eyebrows. "Why? Is there something wrong?"

"Well, you're asking me if I'm ready but you're the one who's not." Minju vaguely explained. "Wait, hold this."

The analyst gave her mask to Yujin. The manager received it, yet still confused with what's happening. When she looked at the frog again, their faces are only inches apart, making Yujin jump a little.

"W-What are you doing!?"

"You're the manager, Miss Ahn. You should always look presentable." The other girl explained, laying her fingers on Yujin's white collar.

The puppy froze to her position. She stared at the frog's face and saw her seriousness in fixing the collar. Once she was done, a smile crept up to her lips.

"Tada! See? You look better now. You look… Very dashing, Miss Ahn."

Right on time, the elevator yelled a 'ting'. Minju took a deep breath and ran outside. Yujin, on the other hand, is still ice. The door almost closed before she was able to move.

"Hey, wait for me!"

She shook all the unexplainable feelings inside her. This is just the beginning and yet she could already feel…

… That this will not be in the list of her typical nights.

**********

"Enjoying, gentlemen?" Eunbi greeted the veterans of their companies. They are inside the Upper Ten venue.

If Ever Rise is majestic, Upper Ten is splendor. It is a much smaller place since there are fewer people, but that is the only thing that changed negatively. Everywhere you go, you will be welcomed by sculptures that are bought by the company through auctions at the price of millions. The whole place shows just how powerful and rich the Kim family is.

"Definitely, Miss Kwon," One of the head said, grinning. "Thank you for organizing another successful Upper Ten."

"Always my pleasure. Now, if you may excuse us, I have something to deal with my niece." Eunbi replied, slowly pulling Chaewon from the conversation.

"What is it, Imo?" Ssamu asked.

"We have a problem with you…" Eunbi started. "And with you, too."

                                                                           

Chaewon is so occupied by waiting for someone that she did not notice the tall girl that is now in front of her.

"What is wrong with you two?" Eunbi asked in a scolding tone. "Didn't I told you ever since that day at the shop to behave yourselves?"

"But… We are." Chaewon countered.

"Oh yes, you do," her aunt fake smiled. "You so behave that you don't talk or even stand beside each other. You really are."

"I'm sorry, Imo. Okay, we will promise to… To look fine." Wonyoung answered, finding it hard to say the last words.

Eunbi warmly smiled at her. "You don't have to be sorry, Wonyoung, it's not your fault. I just want to remind you that everyone will have their eyes on you. We don't want problems to add up, do we?"

She hugged Chaewon tight before whispering. "Fix this, Ssamu. Prepare her mind on the sudden announcement. Make sure that she won't cause a scene."

The Kwon released the Kim from the hug and let out another angelic smile as if she's one. "Alright, alright. I'll leave you two now. See you later, okay?"

After her aunt left, the heiress can't help but roll her eyes on annoyance.

"I saw you looking at the main door while talking to those men." Wonyoung who is already sitting said, sipping a glass of champagne. "Waiting for someone?"

Chaewon turned and narrowed her eyes. "Why do I need to answer that? Why do you care the least?"

The bunny chuckled. She hands Ssamu a glass of the said drink. "Have some of this, they said that it can cool you down. Why so hot-headed? Isn't it because she hasn't arrived yet? Maybe she will not attend-"

"Can you not ruin my day for at least once?" Ssamu growled at her. Chaewon thought that she will get scared by this… But no. This just added fuel to her fire.

"Oh, sad, Kim? Maybe she doesn't want to see your face that's why she-"

"Yujin-ah," Chaewon whispered sweetly. The taller looked back and saw the girl in the blue mask entering the room.

Wonyoung doesn't know why but she felt a slight tug on her chest. Maybe it's because Yujin wore a mask, yet her soon-to-be wife could tell that it's her.

The heiress was about to step forward when another lady came out from the main entrance. Yujin waited for her and clung their arms together as they walk towards the CEO of the company.

"Mr. Kim," The manager greeted before hugging the guy.

"Yujin, this is the first time I saw you here." The man warmly welcomed.

"Well, my department needs a representative so," Yujin explained. She slightly turned her body to face Minju.

"By the way, Sir, this is Kim Minju," The Ahn introduced. "… My date."

Chaewon, who is only a few tables from them, clenched her jaw the same time her heart did. If she's just an ordinary person, she would have cried her feelings out already. But no. She's a Kim and a Kwon, and her aunt raised her to be bulletproof, to be numb... be a robot when it comes to love.

"Are you okay?" Yujin asked when they finally reached their assigned table.

Minju blinked a few times. "O-Of course, I'm just… overwhelmed." She answered, looking at the heiress. 

"Same here," Ms. Ahn answered, a mixture of fear and excitement. "This is my first time to attend such party."

"Let's enjoy the night, then," Minguri replied, high – fiving Yujin.

As time goes by, the place seemed to be slowly filled. The program started and there are lots of food, drinks, and stories. If their table is full of joy and smiles, the other one is b with frowns and gloom.

"Aren't you excited?" Wonyoung said, looking a little worried about Chaewon.

She might be her no. 1 hater but that doesn't mean that she's insensitive. She's an aspiring lawyer, it is natural for her to care.

"Why will I be? I have attended million of parties like this before." Chaewon said, sipping the glass of champagne while still glaring at the other pair.

"Can you stop that?" The Jang said, pulling the glass from the heiress.

"Why!? This is mine-"

"You've had enough shots already."

"But-"

"Just give me that, you stubborn brat," Wonyoung said, grabbing the glass completely.

Chaewon just rolled her eyes.

"You're deadass Eunbi – Imo if she's in her twenty's."

Wonyoung chuckled. "Look at you while drunk, Miss Kim. You use slang."

The two laughed. It's their first time to smile sincerely in front of each other. But when the laughter died down, the awkward atmosphere is back.

"This is my punishment, huh?" Chaewon said, looking down.

Wonyoung was puzzled. "What do you mean?"

"I had a choice, love or power…" The heiress mumbled. "… And I chose power."

"What did you say? Sorry, I didn't-"

Wonyoung was cut off when a boom of music echoes in the large hall, signaling that the clock already struck twelve. Next thing the lawyer knew, she's being pulled to the center of the huge room.

"W-What-"

"Let's dance," Chaewon whispered at her, yet looking at Yujin from a distance.

Wonyoung pushed her. "Miss Kim, you're drunk-"

She can't even finish her sentence when the heiress pulled her, their bodies touching. Chaewon held her right hand while she rested hers on Wonyoung's waist. Jang, as if being magnetized, slowly brought her hands to Chaewon's shoulder.

The two began to dance, their eyes on each other. Chaewon's goal at first is to just make Yujin jealous, but something about Wonyoung makes her so… Interesting.

"Um... What are we doing?" Wonyoung asked.

"W-What?" Chaewon said, snapping back to the real world. "Oh-"

She quickly retracted her hand and stopped moving.

"I-I'm sorry," Chaewon said, closing her eyes to scold herself. The moment she opened it again, she immediately looked back at the other table. To her surprise, Yujin is not there…

… And Minju isn't there either.

************

"Party! Whoo!" Chaeyeon screamed as the flashing lights danced with her.

Sakura laughed. "Hey, Lee! Stop that!"

"Why!? We should have fun tonight!" Chae defended that earned another chuckle.

Different from what is happening at the Upper Ten, Ever Rise is beaming with disco lights and mainstream music. It's funny, right? People in their best dresses and suits ready to pop and lock all evening.

"Are you done now?" Sakura asked after she pulled Chaeyeon from the jumping crowd.

Chae raised her shoulders. "Maybe." She then put an arm over Sakura's shoulders. "But if you say so, then I will."

They went to the quiet part of the hall, specifically on the backstage.

"Thank you for bringing me here." Sakura thanked.

"No, thank you for coming with me," Chaeyeon said, smiling.

Sakura shook her head. "No need to say thanks. That's what friends do."

Chae's smile disappeared. Friend. The assistant manager doesn't know what's gotten into her, but she suddenly felt like.. Confessing.

"Actually," The feather said, gaining courage. "There's something I would like to tell you."

"Hmm?"

"I…" She stepped forward, gently raised Kkura's chin to look at her, and held her hand.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter