Chap 01: Past

Youth
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Click! Click!

Chaewon got off the car and tried to hide her shock from the media. She didn't expect to be this famous. The number of people waiting for them outside the Kim Empire Building is twice the number of journalists back at the airport. If Chaewon just kept a poker face, her aunt, on the other hand, is confidently posing and smiling for the cameras. 

"Are you ready, Chaewon?" Her aunt whispered.

Chaewon lazily looked at her aunt. "I told you, I was born ready."

Her aunt smirked. They went near the door and the said entrance automatically opened. 

"Let's go then... The empire is waiting for you."

Once she stepped a foot inside the building, Chaewon felt a hint of nostalgia. This is the same place she used to play and prank other workers as a child... The same place that her mother and she used to visit often. But then she realized... everything has changed. The color, interior design, furniture, workers, all of it. 

"Twelve years really is a long time, huh?" Chaewon unknowingly uttered, looking around the place.

 

 

"It sure is."

The heiress' attention was caught by an old man, probably in his sixties, wearing a tuxedo and branded shoes. His hair already a shade of grey and his forehead a bit wrinkly. He walked towards the girl while wearing his unusual faint smile and stingy eyes.

"Chaewon... Come here," The man said, opening his arms wide open. 

The young Kim balled his fists. She thought: How can he look at me like he missed me? She was about to turn around to face her aunt and make her find a way to stop this nonsense, but suddenly, a thought entered her mind. It was their conversation inside the car a while ago.

 

"Chaewon-ah, are you listening?" Eunbi ticked off. Her aunt kept on giving her tips ever since they entered the vehicle.

The girl just nodded. "Eunbi-imo, I told you nothing's gonna go wrong-"

"I know you, Kim Chaewon. You can't control your emotions," Kwon said. "Look, we just came back, I don't want us to face a controversy right away. So please, as much as you can, don't do anything stupid. Don't give the press an action to be used as a rumor or anything against you and the empire. We don't have any rooms for error, Miss Kim... So you better think about your decisions."

 

Even though she doesn't really want to, Chaewon forced herself to step closer and be locked between the man's arms. Of course, the cameras started clicking again. The heiress closed her eyes, not to feel the moment, but to stop herself from doing anything bad. 

"I missed you... So much..." The man whispered.

Chaewon doesn't know if she'll be touched or disgusted. 

"I-I miss you, too..." She tried to swallow the lump in in able to reply. "... D-Dad."

As soon as the clicking died, Chaewon pushed the man a little, freeing herself from the hug. She looked at her aunt in the back and saw her proud devil smirk.

"So," Chaewon started, changing the mood. "Where's my office? I need to continue my presentation already. I can't-"

"We'll bring you there later, don't worry," Mr. Kim answered. "What I want you to do first is to meet the head of every department. Follow me..."

The man thanked the media for coming before heading to the meeting room with Chaewon, Eunbi and their crew following him. They entered the big, air-conditioned room with a table enough for eighteen people. 

"Good afternoon everyone," Mr. Kim greeted with a smile. "Today is a very special day. Ladies and Gentlemen, I want you to meet my daughter, Ms. Kim Chaewon."

The girl bowed formally. "Good Afternoon to everybody. It's a pleasure meeting all of you."

After the introduction, Mr. Kim pulled Chaewon to meet every single head personally. 

"Chaewon, this is Mr. Song, he's the head of the Design Department..."

And the list goes on and on.

"This guy is Mr. Han, the manager of the Quality Control Department."

And as what Chaewon is doing for a while now, she gives them her smile and shook hands with them.

"Oh, Ms. Lee," Mr. Kim was startled. "Why are you here? Aren't-"

"I'm really, really sorry, Mr. Kim. I-It looks like Ms. Ahn can't come today... She has a fever." Chaeyeon lied.

"Really? Tell her to get well soon..."

The girl nodded. She then faced the heiress and flashed a smile. "I'm Lee Chaeyeon, by the way. Assistant manager of the Finance Depart-"

Blag!

A huge noise was created by the door that it caught everyone's attention.

"I-I'm really sorry, head managers." 

The girl with specs bowed multiple times as a sign of apology. She then walked towards Mr. Kim, head still looking down.

"I-I'm really sorry, Mr. Kim. I didn't want to be-"

"It's okay, Yujin-ah. Chaeyeon already told me," Mr. Kim said with a worried tone. "You shouldn't have come here if you're not feeling well."

"N-Not feeling well?"

"Yes, Chaeyeon told me you have a fever."

Yujin looked at her friend, and the other lass just gave her an 'I'm gonna kill you if you put us into another trouble' look.

"Ah! Y-Yes, I had a fever... But I'm already okay so I chose to go today. You said that this is an important day for you, Sir."

Mr. Kim gave out a low chuckle.

"You really remember everything I say, Yujin-ah. Here, let me introduce you to my daughter. She is-"

"C-Chaewon, Kim Chaewon." The girl said, stammering for the first time. 

"Hello," Yujin greeted with a slight bow. "Ahn Yujin, Head of the Finance Department."

"I know-"

"Looks like you're already in good hands, Chaewon." Mr. Kim interrupted their conversation. "Do you want to see your off

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter