Chap 11: Ever Rise

Youth
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Marinate the beef slices. Make sure that everything is coated or else the Yukhoe won't taste good. Next, you add the pear and mix it well. Then-"

"Slow down, Mom. I can't follow you," Chaeyeon said, chuckling. She went to the faucet, washed her hands, wiped it to her apron after and took the cellphone that has been stuck between her cheeks and shoulder for about half an hour now.

"Are you done with the third step?" Her mother, who is on the other end of the line, asked impatiently.

"Not yet. I'm taking a break. This is exhausting."

"What!?" Her mother yelled. "You can't just stop, Lee Chaeyeon… It's Sakura we are talking about! Everything needs to be great for that child."

"I know that, Mom. That's the reason why I called you. I want to make the perfect dish for Sakura." Chae replied. She then smiled. "You really love Saku – chan, huh? More than your own daughter?"

"She's the reason why I'm still alive. She's like my second kid." Her Mom said on the call. "Also, between the two of us, shouldn't I be the one to question you that?"

Chaeyeon gulped.

"… You love Sakura, don't you?"

"M-Mom-"

"Oh, don't you even try to lie to me. I know you. You're my daughter, remember?" Her mother said in a cool manner as if she doesn't really care at all. "You won't call me early in the morning if this is not important. Tell me, what's your plan?"

Chaeyeon chuckled again. She can't help but imagine that the old woman she's talking with right now is the person who bridged her and Sakura.

 

"Mom!" Chae called in the Corregidor of the hospital. Tears are forming in her eyes as she rushed to locate her mother's room.

"Chaeyeon?" She looked back and saw their family doctor.

"Sir!" Chae dashed to him. "D-Do you know where my mother is?"

The doctor heaved a sigh.

"Yes, I do. Please follow me."

They went directly to the ICU of the hospital. And there, Chae saw her mom, unconscious.

"What's happening, doc!? Why is she here? Is it critical?"

"It is not that serious, but we still need to check her to see any complications. The impact of the car on her is huge, we can't just ignore that. It's actually helpful that they can bring her immediately. Else, she can die on the road due to some seizures on the brain."

The feather's knees weakened, almost trembling from fear and madness.

"Don't worry, Chaeyeon. We'll try our best. I'm also sure that your mother can do this. Stay strong, kid." The doctor said, tapping her shoulders.

Right after he left, Chaeyeon gave up. She was sobbing uncontrollably.

"S-Sorry to interrupt but… Are you Chaeyeon?"

The girl looked up and saw another lady in a bob haircut. "I'm the one who called you a while ago. Your mother's phone has no password, so I decided to inform you about what happened to her earlier. She was hit by a car, but don't worry because the police are already finding whoever the devil is-"

"You're the one who brought my mom here?"

"Y-Yeah, why-"

Chaeyeon wasted no time in hugging the girl. She continued crying again. "Thank you, thank you so much. You saved my mother, you saved me."

The girl lightly tapped her back.

"That's nothing. A human must help others."

"Wait," Chaeyeon released her from the hug. "What's your name again?"

The gal shyly smiled.

.

.

"Sakura. Miyawaki Sakura."

**

From that time, Chaeyeon and Sakura started to get together often in hopes of catching the suspect. Thankfully, Chae's mother survived the accident without any problem. Just like her daughter, she also thanked the girl and promised her to treat like her own.

As time passed by, the friendship of the two blossomed. And one day,

"Kkura - ya!" Chaeyeon sprinted her way to their usual table in the café.

"Hmm?" She replied.

"I have good news for you," Chae smirked. "You told me that you have dreamed of working in the Finance Department, right?"

"Why?"

"Well," Chae handed her a small brochure. "Our company is open to new financial analysts. Maybe you would like to try?"

"What!?" Sakura stood up and jumped. "Kim Empire? Chaeyeon, this is the greatest opportunity I have ever received my whole life! Thank you!"

She went to her best friend and hugged her tightly. The feather's heartbeat went faster. Her brain is empty, Sakura being with her is the only thing running around her mind. That's when Chae realized that what she's feeling isn't just for best friends. 

**

‘Why are they here, seriously? Just because she's close to Ms. Ahn.'

‘They're not even that skilled.'

‘I want to know what it feels like to be the manager's pet.'

Chaeyeon and Sakura can hear their other officemates. It has been months ever since the cat entered the Empire. And for the past days, she can hear nothing but negative comments about her and the girl who gave her the chance.

"Is Ms. Yujin that desperate to have a friend that she just lets a user like Ms. Lee to-"

Sakura stood up from her table. She saw the surprised look of Chaeyeon but ignores it. She went to the other desk and smiled sarcastically at them.

"Sorry, but if you want to do something better, just pay attention to your work."

The group was shocked to the core by the courage of the girl.

"Kkura-ya, stop," Chaeyeon tried to pull her away but the other lady is too strong.

"Yes, I was given the opportunity by Ms. Lee, but that doesn't give you the right to judge my skills as if you're the one who hired me! To remind you, we're all just workers here. You don't give me money, and neither do I."

Sakura then smirked, looking at her nails as if she doesn't give a .

"Spread the rumors all you want, I'm okay on that as long as I know the truth. But backstab us? I thought we're friends… but one fake info and you already gave in. How pitiful, that just shows who you really are."

"Wh-" The girls also stood up. "We're your seniors! You, disrespectful bit-"

"Oops, before you say that word," Sakura reached from her bag and gave the girls a mystery thing. "Look at the mirror first, okay?"

She said before walking out.

**

"You shouldn't have said that!" Chaeyeon scolded. "Do you want to be fired?"

"I just taught them a lesson," Sakura defended. "I can't just let them do that to you! I've also experienced being bullied and even made fun of in front of a whole crowd. And if a friend of mine didn't come, I'm probably dead by now."

Sakura looked at Chae in the eyes. "If they really want, then fire me. But at least I know what's right or wrong-"

"It's not about right or wrong!" Chaeyeon massages her temples. "Sakura, listen. You see, in this place, it's about the seniors and the newbies. You don't follow them, you're gone. That's the way it is, even before we got here."

"And… You'll just let that?" Sakura asked.

"I… I don't have a choice."

She slowly reached for Chae's hand. "I know you, Lee Chaeyeon. You told me that you want to be the Finance Manager someday in case that Ms. Ahn will be promoted, right?"

The feather nodded.

"Well, the Chaeyeon I know is brave. As far as I remember, we even went to the point where we need to follow the evidence ourselves just to find the one who hit your mother. And we found him, right?"

Chae agreed more.

"That Chaeyeon… That Chaeyeon won't just let her seniors and other officemates to make her feel invisible just because of wrong judgment. That Chae will clear things up. And when she finally becomes a Finance Manager or even just an assistant head, she will make everything right."

 The other gal looked up. "She will treat everyone equally?"

Sakura smiled. "She will."

"She can fire even her closest friend in the world?"

The cat grinned. "She can."

Chaeyeon faintly followed Saku's gesture. "I'll look forward to that, then."

"So, while we're waiting for that time," Sakura wiped the tears forming in Chae's eyes. "Hold on, okay?"

**

"How are they fired, anyway?" Sakura asked while swiveling in her chair.

"Well, Yujin and I found out that they've been stealing money from the company," Chae replied. "We reported it to the board for them to investigate it more and they are able to prove that it's true."

"Gosh, they are trouble, really," Saku groaned. "So, what now? Do we need to do something?"

"Well, we're going to open the applications for the missing positions," Chaeyeon explained. She fidgeted. "Also… There's something I would like to ask you."

"Hmm?" Sakura's curiosity rose. "What is it?"

"Well," Chaeyeon's eyes wander everywhere, avoiding eye contact. "There is this event in the company… Ever Rise. It's a masquerade-themed ball. They drink and dance and have fun. Y-You know that it's my first time attending the ball and I only knew a few people. No one is also asking me to be their date and Yujin isn't coming, too."

"So? What are you trying to say?"

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter