Dark Times

Beauty Behind The Madness
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

'In my dark times, I've still got some problems. I know. Driving too fast but just moving to slow. And I've got something I've been trying to let go, Pulling me back every time'

~

 

 

Daehyun flopped onto his bed in defeat. It’s been a week since eh last heard from or seen Youngjae. The omega wasn’t answering his calls or texts. He had at least unblocked his number, but Daehyun still couldn’t reach him. And he couldn’t go to the north. His parents pretty much banned him and everyone else from going to the north, due to the high amount of tension that accumulated between the two clans. However, they were allowed to travel back and forth to and from the city for work, since they hadn’t seen any threats from the norther pack or any of their allies.

Daehyun found no energy to travel to the city for work. Unsurprisingly, his parents were okay with it, since they figured he was mourning for his friend, and Jaejoong preferred to have him in the village for his safety.

Nonetheless, there was still tension between him and his family. They’d all been shocked when he returned with a new scent. They all knew that he was now mated, but he didn’t dare to tell them about it, despite their constant questioning. This only attracted more suspicion toward him the more he refused to answer them.

Daehyun was about to call the omega again, when someone suddenly opened the door to his bedroom. Daehyun looked up to find his cousin standing in the doorway. “Are you still trying to get hold of that omega?” Himchan folded his arms. Daehyun sighed, putting his phone down. Himchan studied him carefully. “Is he the one you mated with?” He finally asked, speaking out his suspicions. Daehyun’s eyes slightly widened, a blush forming on his cheeks.

Himchan sighed, taking his reaction as a confirmation. He wasn’t surprised, but the situation was not good, especially since the omega was from the north. “What am I supposed to do?” Daehyun groaned. He felt terrible for the omega, and he felt even worse that he couldn’t be there for the younger, when he needed him the most. But his biggest fear was that the omega had fallen back to his confinement, or that he’d fallen deeper. He couldn’t feel him anymore.

“Maybe it’s best for you not to do anything right now.” Himchan said.

“What?’ Daehyun questioned, not believing his ears.

“It’s dangerous for you to go to the north. But it’s probably even more dangerous for him. Who knows what would happen to him if the Silver Moon pack found out he was mates with someone from our pack?” Himchan explained.

Daehyun paused at his words. He never considered that before. “So, are you saying that I shouldn’t see him anymore?”

“Of course not. That’s even more dangerous for him. Omegas can only go so long without being with their mate.” Himchan reminded.

“So, what are you saying?”

“I’m saying that you should wait it out. Wait until the tension dies back down. Then go to the north and bring your mate here.” Himchan smiled, placing his hands on his hips.

“Uh…yeah.” Daehyun breathed, not completely convinced. That’s a terrible idea. He thought to himself. Himchan raised an eyebrow. “What’s wrong?” He asked. Daehyun’s shoulders dropped, “It’s not that easier.”

“Everything is easier said than done.” Himchan sat on the bed next to him. Daehyun didn’t say anything. “There’s more to it, isn’t there?” The elder asked, catching on. Daehyun sighed, “Himchan…you can’t tell anyone.” Daehyun instantly pleaded.

Himchan didn’t like the sound of this. “Fine.” He gave in.

Daehyun took a shaky breath. “He…He’s from Silver Moon.” He finally said.

Himchan’s eyes widened, despite his hunch being true. “I had no idea. I didn’t find out until last week.” Daehyun confessed. “…and…his father was the leader of the pack.”

Himchan was beyond speechless.

Daehyun prepared himself for a long rant from the elder, but it never came. Instead, he received a sigh. Daehyun looked at the beta, seeing his shoulders sink. “I don’t agree with this.” Himchan finally said. “But as someone who’s mated to someone their family was against, I don’t really have a right to tell you that what you’re doing is wrong.”

Daehyun was surprised by how calm his cousin was. He expected him to freak out and go off on him. “I won’t tell anyone, and I won’t hurt him if that’s what you’re afraid of.” Himchan looked him in the eye, “But I will not hesitate to kill any silver moon member that steps on our territory.” With that, the beta left the room.

Daehyun understood Himchan’s words, but he also couldn’t help but feel angered by them. How can he say that so easily? He thought angrily to himself. At the same time, he knew the answer. He knew very well that he’d feel the same way if the roles were reversed.

He knew he’d be the same way if he never met Youngjae. Maybe even worse.

But that wasn’t the case for him.

He mourned for Youngjae. He felt the pain that the omega felt. And it frustrated him every day that he couldn’t be there for him. That he couldn’t do anything. He couldn’t do anything for him, nor his pack.

He wished no harm on Silver Moon for Youngjae’s sake. In fact, he felt the need to protect every member of Youngjae’s pack, for the younger’s sake. For his sake, he’d do anything to help the omega. But at the same time, he’d never betray his pack, his family, his friends.

Both parties needed him.

He still held resentment toward Silver Moon for the death of his family and friends, but he shared that same resentment toward his parents for the death of his mate’s father, which he feared was the ultimate death of his mate.

Daehyun was stuck, and the feeling was terrible.

The alpha had no idea how long he’d been sitting on his bed before he heard the bedroom door open. He looked up to see that it was his mother. “I feel like I have no privacy here.” He remarked. Ever since his parents asked him to move back into their cabin, his family made it a habit to go in and out his room unannounced. “Because you don’t.” Jaejoong smiled, sitting on the bed next to his son. He and Yunho had Daehyun stay in their cabin, since he was with Minhyuk in the north. They figured that the sliver moon members saw him, so they wanted their son close to them, in case their rival pack members tried to go after him.

Daehyun didn’t respond. “Come and eat.” Jaejoong told him.

“It’s dinner time already?”

“No, but I made your favorite snack.” Jaejoong cooed. Daehyun raised a slight eyebrow. “Which one?”

“You have to come and find out.” The beta challenged, in an attempt to get his son out his room. “Nice try Umma, but I’m not hungry.” Daehyun lied back on his bed.

Jaejoong raised an eyebrow, somewhat surprised that he turned down food. “Well, why don’t you tell me about this mate of yours? Since you’re not going to eat the food I worked so hard to make for you.” He patted his son’s thigh.

Daehyun flinched under his mother’s touch. A part of him resented his mother for killing Youngjae’s father. Simultaneously, another part of him felt bad for him. In a way, he understood the beta a little more than before.

“He’s an omega.” Daehyun finally said.

Jaejoong cocked an eyebrow at the two new forms of information. “He?”

Daehyun nodded. He sat up and studied his mother closely. “He’s a lot like you.” He said. “He can be mean and scary.” Daehyun smiled at the thought of the omega. Jaejoong scoffed, “That’s not good.”

“Why?”

“We’d never get along.” Jaejoong told him.

Daehyun took his words into consideration. He was right. They’d easily get into arguments (and spite each other). He chuckled at the thought. But he knew that despite all that, Jaejoong would like Youngjae a lot, and vice versa if their packs weren’t enemies. “Maybe.” Daehyun said, getting lost in thought. A laborious sigh escaped his lips. Jaejoong frowned in concern for his son, “Daehyun, what’s wrong?”

Daehyun looked at his mother. He looked tired. He hardly got any sleep after Minhyuk’s death. ‘It was a dark time for all of us…but Jaejoong took it the hardest. And honestly, I don’t think he’s over it.’ His father’s words replayed in his mind.

Daehyun assumed that the beta really wasn’t over the death of his elder brother. His heart sunk at the thought. He’d been so caught up and worried about Youngjae, that not once did he consider how his mother was handling everting. How he must’ve felt after hearing the news about Minhyuk and not see or hearing from Daehyun for the few days after that. He didn’t consider any of his family members’ feelings. He never even considered Minhyuk’s. “Umma, I’m sorry.” He hugged his mother.

Jaejoong was taken aback by the sudden apology. “Daehyun?”

“I’m sorry for everything. You shouldn’t have gone through anything you’ve been through. And I’m sorry I wasn’t there for you.” Daehyun felt his eyes burn, but he swallowed the urge to cry.

“Dae, what are you talking about?”

Daehyun pulled away from his hug. “Umma, please don’t feel bad anymore.” He gave him a small smile.

Jaejoong was distraught.

“I guess I’m hungry after all.” Daehyun stretched. Jaejoong blinked a couple times, snapping out of it. “Let’s go eat.” Daehyun smiled. Jaejoong returned the smile with a small one, before following his son out the room.

The two sat down at the table together. Daehyun split his snack with his mother and ate his food happily. Jaejoong didn’t eat. All he could do was watch his son. He was still taken aback by his words. They were simple but had a strong effect on him. It was sudden. He was about to ask him a question when the front door suddenly opened and walked in his mate.

“You’re home early.” Jaejoong commented. Yunho shrugged, “Just a couple of hours. I had to leave early because I missed my beautiful beta too much.” The chief hugged Jaejoong, pressing a kiss on his neck. “And I worry about you.” He whispered in his ear.

“You don’t need to.” Jaejoong brushed him away. “Where’s Jess?”

“She’s still at work. She said she’ll come here after she picks Tiffany up.” Yunho assured him. Jaejoong nodded.

 

 

Kihyun laughed hard at Changkyun’s unfortunate story. “It really wasn’t supposed to be funny.” Changkyun blushed in embarrassment. “Oops. Sorry.” Kihyun covered his moth to keep himself from laughing any further. “It’s okay.” Changkyun quickly said. “I like it when you laugh.” He confessed. Kihyun blushed at the compliment.

The two of them were sat in Hyungwon’s old bedroom in the Chae home. Just as Youngjae instructed, Kihyun stayed in the Chae home for the past week, despite the younger omega insisting on being with his brother. But the brothers still spent time together during the day.

After the week of mourning for their father ended, Youngjae returned to his father’s business and took over. Only he, Jaebum, Jinyoung, and the more experienced members of the pack returned to work. Youngjae ordered that everyone else remain in the village for another week, including Kihyun.

Kihyun was upset that he couldn’t join his brother and help him with the hardest parts of taking over a pack. Nonetheless, he took the initiative to take care of the members that stayed in the village, helping everyone with everything and anything. However, whenever night fell, he locked himself in his room and mourned for his father.

Wonho and Hyungwon visited him and checked on him throughout the day during the week. But Changkyun was the one who stayed with him. He stuck by his side, not leaving him alone once. Hyungwon’s parents allowed him to stay in their home with Kihyun. He slept on the floor of the room the omega stayed in, as to not invade his space too much.

The young alpha did his best to make the omega smile and laugh. He knew he was hurting inside, but he put on a strong front for the rest of the pack and lent them his comfort. Changkyun felt bad for him. He didn’t think it was fair. The omega shouldn’t be the one to have to paly strong and comfort others when it was his father that he lost. He should be allowed to cry and mourn without having to feel responsible for the well-being of everyone else. After all, he lost both his parents. Now it was just him and his brother, and they were both hurting immensely.

It wasn’t fair.

“Kihyun.” Changkyun suddenly said, earning the elder’s attention. “You don’t have to pretend to be strong in front of me.” He said.

Kihyun was taken by surprise by his sudden words.

“I know you have a duty to the pack, but I know you and your brother are hurting the most out of everyone.” Changkyun explained. “But if you want to cry. You can cry. If you want to let off some steam, you can. I don’t mind if you do that in front of me. I want you to be able to express how you’re feeling in front of me. Because, I know it’s hard.”

Kihyun’s eyes stung at the alpha’s sudden words. “Thank you.” He thanked, throwing him off guard. “I’m really thankful for everything you’ve done for me. You’ve really helped me a lot. In ways that you can’t even imagine.” Kihyun smiled at him.

Changkyun felt his heart skip a beat at the omega’s delicate smile. It was genuine and soft. It felt as if it was speciall

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter