The Hills

Beauty Behind The Madness
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

'Hills have eyes, the hills have eyes. Who are you to judge? Who are you to judge?'

~

 

“Minhyuk!”

The said alpha turned around to find Tiffany running toward him. “I’ve been looking all over for you.” She smiled when she caught up to him. Minhyuk cocked his head to the side. “Yugyeom is looking for you.” She answered his silent question.

Minhyuk nodded in understanding.

Tiffany studied the younger closely, “Are you okay?” She asked with concern. “Yeah, I’m fine.” Minhyuk smiled, but the omega did not buy it. “He’ll be back soon.” She whispered with a smile, nudging him a little bit. A light pink color dusted on his cheeks, but he immediately frowned. “Don’t encourage me.”

“Why not? I think it’s cute.”

Minhyuk gave her a disapproving frown. “It’s not cute. It’s wrong.”

“How?” Tiffany folded her arms.

“Because, an alpha can’t like another alpha. Alphas can’t be together.” Minhyuk said. “Why not?” the omega challenged.

“Because…they just can’t.”

“Who says they can’t?”

“No-…it’s just never been done before, okay? It’s…it’s like an unwritten rule.” Minhyuk felt himself get flustered. He hated talking about it. He hated thinking about it. Tiffany was the only one who knew about his secret. He never told anyone, not even her, but she somehow figured it out.

Tiffany let out a gentle sigh and rested her hand on his shoulder. “Minhyuk, nothing is wrong about your feelings. Just because no one knows about any alpha mates, doesn’t mean there aren’t any. And if there is such thing of this unspoken rule you speak of, then that rule is wrong.” She smiled at him.

Minhyuk looked away from her, not in the slightest convinced. “It doesn’t matter. My feelings are wrong. He has a girlfriend and they’re supposed to mate soon. They’ve been together for over a year. My feelings should’ve been gone a long time ago.”

Tiffany looked at him with sad eyes, but there was nothing her pity could do. She slid her arm around the younger’s and pulled him with her. “Come on, go see what Yugyeom wants. It’ll keep your mind off it.” Minhyuk didn’t respond and allowed her to drag him away.

 

“Minhyuk! There you are!” Yugyeom called when the two arrived in front of Bambam’s family’s hut. “Thanks Tiff.” He thanked the future head omega of their pack. “My pleasure.” She bowed her head. She gave Minhyuk a slight nudge and wink before unlinking their arms and walking away.

“Where’s Daehyun?” Yugyeom asked the elder alpha. “He’s in the city with Haeryung.” Minhyuk played casual. “Still? Haven’t they been there for two days now?” Yugyeom remarked, but Minhyuk didn’t respond.

“Anyway, I called you here because I’m worried about Bambam.” The younger alpha confessed. Minhyuk raised an eyebrow at his words. “What’s wrong?”

“It’s about Jackson. Ever since then he hasn’t been himself. It’s almost scary.” Yugyeom pouted his lips a little. “I figured that we could cheer him up if the four of us did something together, but since Dae isn’t here it’ll just be the three of us.”

“Let’s check on him then.” Minhyuk knocked on the wooden door.

Bambam’s mother was the one to answer and let them inside. “He’s in his room if you’re looking for him.” She instructed knowingly. The two bowed to the beta before walking off toward their friend’s room.

Yugyeom pushed open the door, not bothering to knock. Bambam wasn’t pleased by the intrusion but continued to lay on his back, tossing a plastic ball in the air and catching it repeatedly. The aura of the room was dull, the complete opposite of their friend. “He’s been like this for the past week, since his parents stopped letting him go to the arcade.” Yugyeom whispered to Minhyuk before they stepped into the small room.

“Yah! Bam!” Yugyeom hopped onto the elder’s bed right at his feet. However, the elder didn’t respond. “Well hello to you too.” Yugyeom clicked the roof of his mouth, still not earning a response. “Bambam, are you gonna lay there all day? I feel like I haven’t seen you in years. I almost forgot that you existed.” Minhyuk sat on the other side of the bed from Yugyeom, next to their silent friend. “Are you even real?” Minhyuk poked him in the side. He didn’t flinch.

A sly smile grew on the eldest member’s lips. “Yugyeom, try tickling his feet and see if he’s really real.” Before Yugyeom could lift a finger, Bambam dropped his ball, retracted his legs and sat up. “What do you guys want?” He muttered, feigning annoyance.

“Let’s go out.” Yugyeom told him. “Out where? My parents pretty much banned me from going to the arcade for the rest of my life.” Bambam remarked. “There are other laces besides the arcade Bam.” Yugyeom said unimpressed. “Unless it’s getting that punk Shownu back. I’m not interested in going anywhere.” Bambam mumbled.

Minhyuk’s eyes slightly widened at the alpha’s words, but before he could ask, Yugyeom responded, “We already talked about that. But let’s have some fun for now.”

Bambam was silent.

Minhyuk didn’t like the sound of what either of them said, “Let’s go to the beach.” He suggested, changing the subject. “It’s summer after all.”

“You guys can go.” Bambam muttered.

Yugyeom rolled his eyes, “You know what’s your problem?”

Bambam looked at him.

“It’s because you’re single.”

“What?” Bambam was caught by surprise. “Mm hm. It’s because your game is out of whack. That’s the real reason why you’re bitter. You’re probably like, ‘why doesn’t anyone ever look at me? Why can’t I be as attractive as Yugyeom’?” Yugyeom did his best to hide his smile.

“Yah! What nonsense are you saying?” Bambam straightened up.

“Minhyuk, you and I should just go to the beach, it’ll be good for everyone else’s mental state that Bambam doesn’t come. I’m sure they’ll be scarred when they see Bambam’s stick and bones under his shirt.” Yugyeom suggested.

“Yah!” Bambam threw his pillow at the youngest member. “Did I hit a nerve?” Yugyeom was unable to contain his smirk. Minhyuk bit his lip to keep from laughing.

“No! I’ve been working out!” Bambam defended. He slipped from under his sheets and jumped out the bed. “Where are you going?” Yugyeom questioned. “I’m going to the beach. Minhyuk is right, it is summer. I can’t let the people go all summer without seeing this gorgeous body.” Bambam flexed his arm in front of his body mirror.

Yugyeom folded his arms, “Are you seriously that full of yourself?” “Don’t be jealous and just get ready. You brought this upon yourself.” The elder alpha said, already rummaging through his stuff.

Minhyuk smiled, glad that his friend was back to normal, or at least full of energy now.

 

 

“Finally! We’re done with all those meetings!” Shownu stretched as they sat down at their table in the kitchen diner. “What meetings did you go to?” Yongguk remarked. “Yeah. The closest thing to a meeting you went to was when we went to our allied pack’s village. And even then, you weren’t at the meeting with us with the pack leader.” Kihyun pointed out.

“Yeah, but do you know how hard it was trying to mingle with wolves of the eastern province? That was mentally exhausting.” Shownu argued.

“Yeah right. Everyone flocked around you. They were enthralled by you.” Changkyun remarked. “You really think so?” Shownu questioned, unable to hide his smile. Changkyun only scoffed.

Leeteuk chuckled at his pack members’ silly bickering. “Thank you Shownu and everyone for your hard work and for joining me here.” He thanked them sincerely. The four alphas bowed and returned the gratitude. “I hate to leave you guys in the middle of a meal, but I have one last meeting to attend to.” The chief alpha stood up.

“Now?” Kihyun questioned. His father nodded. “By yourself?” He questioned. “It’s last minute, but it’s fine. You boys have done enough. You’re all free to do as you please. We’ll leave tonight, so meet me back at the hotel no later than 8pm,” Leeteuk instructed. The boys nodded except for Kihyun and Youngjae.

Kihyun pouted. Leeteuk smiled at him, “Don’t worry about me. I’ll see you two soon.” He ruffled Kihyun’s hair and patted Youngjae’s shoulder before finally walking away. Youngjae watched his father leave until he was completely out of sight.

“So what do you guys want to do?” Shownu asked. “Sleep.” Yongguk answered.

“Sleep? What?” Shownu questioned. “It’s a long drive back.” Yongguk retorted. “I’ll drive back if you’re tired by the time we leave.” Shownu offered. Yongguk shrugged, “There’s nothing interesting about the city. The one back home is better. This one is small and reeks of fish.” He remarked. Youngjae nodded in agreement, he rather be at home. In fact, he rather be anywhere else than where they were. His desire to leave only grew stronger with every hour he stayed. Every inch of the Eastern province reminded him of the alpha and he felt as if he was going to go crazy. But he had to hide it from the others.

Jaebum glanced at Youngjae who’s eyes jumped throughout the room, staring at nothing in particular.

“Let’s go to the beach!” Kihyun perked, “It’s summer anyway.”

“That’s a great idea, and then we can go to one of the famous ramen shops by the bay.” Shownu shared the same excitement as the omega. Kihyun nodded vigorously. “I guess I’m down for ramen.” Yongguk nodded, unable to turn down his favorite food. “The beach will be nice.” Jaebum agreed. Youngjae only shrugged, he didn’t care what they did.

“What about you Changkyun?” Kihyun stole the opportunity to force himself to talk to the alpha. Shownu smiled, noticing this.

“Huh?” Changkyun questioned caught by surprised. Shownu mentally face-palmed himself. He had Kihyun stepping up, but now he had to work on Changkyun.

“Do you want to go to the beach?” Kihyun smiled anyway. Changkyun felt his cheeks burn at the elder’s gentle smile. It seemed almost unreal. ‘Is he really smiling at me?’ He wondered if he was dreaming for a moment or maybe just imagining thins. But he snapped out of it when Jaebum elbowed him in his side. “Are you gonna answer?” His cousin muttered.

“Oh…Oh, uh…yeah. I’m down for the beach.” Changkyun answered, embarrassed that he took so long to respond. Jaebum shook his head.

Kihyun’s smile grew as he turned back to Shownu, “Wonho is gonna be so jealous when we try the actual ramen and not the packaged one from the other day.” Shownu nodded in agreement. “Let’s take lots of videos and pictures so we can rub it in his face.” Kihyun said, the two already scheming. Changkyun smiled at how cute the omega was when he was excited, even if it was over taunting his friends.

The group finished their breakfast before heading back to their rooms to prepare for their trip.

“I can’t believe I spoke to him without embarrassing myself.” Kihyun said in amazement as he and Youngjae changed and packed their belongings. “And he smiled at me.” He squealed, gripping onto his T-shirt tightly.

Youngjae rolled his eyes, “He always smiles at you.” He remarked. “Yeah, but this time I was able to appreciate it instead of freaking out.” Kihyun said proud of himself. “Well, I’m glad that you can admit that you freaked out all the other times.” Youngjae said almost teasingly. Kihyun rolled his eyes, but the smile never left his lips.

The six members returned to the first floor 10 minutes later and left the hotel. “I guess we’ll have to squeeze in.” Shownu said when they walked up to the car. “I’ll drive, since I’m the oldest.” Yongguk offered. “I thought you didn’t want to drive.” Shownu accused. “When did I say that?” Yongguk pretended not to remember. Shownu scoffed. “I call shotgun!” He suddenly called, quickly running into his claimed seat.

Jaebum entered the backseat first.

Kihyun tried to slide in next, but Youngjae pulled him back. The elder didn’t say a word, but his evil smirk said everything as he slid in next to Jaebum. Kihyun held back the urge to curse his brother and climbed in next to him, followed by Changkyun.

“Everyone comfortable?” Shownu glanced back at the four, though his question was directed at the two youngest members. “How long is the trip?” Kihyun ignored the alpha’s insincere question. “45 minutes without traffic.” Yongguk answered. “Well, let’s hope there’s some traffic then, hm?” Shownu hummed, turning back around.

Kihyun sent a quick glare at the elder but forced himself to remain composed. He didn’t want to give Changkyun any more reasons to think he hates him. However, he couldn’t stop the pounding in his chest despite how hard he tried. He’d never been so close to the alpha before. In fact, their legs were touching!

Kihyun forced his body to relax, trying to make himself look as unbothered as possible. ‘This is your chance Ki. Just talk to him. You don’t want him to think you hate him.’ Kihyun looked to the alpha to speak but when he opened his mouth nothing came out.

He quickly looked away and gripped his shorts. ‘Come on. Don’t think about it. Just talk, like you’re talking to one of your friends.’ On that thought Kihyun turned to Changkyun and spoke the first words that came to mind. “So, do you know how to swim?”

Changkyun paused, thrown off by the question, but laughed when he saw the elder’s embarrassed facial expression. “Yes, I do.” He answered anyway. “That was a dumb question, wasn’t it?” Kihyun murmured, disappointed with himself. Changkyun chuckled, “It’s a good question. It would be bad if I didn’t know how to swim and was going to the beach with Shownu around.” He encouraged.

Kihyun chuckled at this, “He’d definitely pull a prank or something.”

Changkyun only smiled in response to the elder’s laughter. Kihyun noticed the alpha smiling at him and a blush formed on his cheeks. Changkyun’s eyes widened at being caught. The two quickly looked away rom each other to hide their pink cheeks.

 

The rest of the ride continued in silence with the exception of Shownu who sparked a conversation here and there and the radio that he and Kihyun sang to.

They didn’t arrive at the beach until an hour later.

 

“Whoa, it’s more crowded here than I thought it’d be.”’ Shownu noted as they walked up to the beach. “It is summer.” Yongguk reminded. “Let’s hurry and find a spot.” Shownu ran into the sand first, followed by the others. It didn’t take long for them to find a spot a few yards away from the water. Jaebum and Youngjae were left to lay down their blankets and umbrellas while the others ran off into the water.

Youngjae laid down on his towel, getting comfortable under the shade. He closed his eyes, allowing himself to sink into the darkness behind his lids. He wanted to tune out the reality that surrounded him. He wanted to escape the betrayal and hurt that taunted his mind and pounded against the cracked walls of his heart. Nevertheless, it was difficult to escape them, for he was the one who betrayed himself. He was the one who hurt himself and it frustrated him more than anything else.

“Hey…Isn’t that Zelo’s dad?” Jaebum suddenly asked, dragging Youngjae from his failed slumber. The omega slowly opened his eyes and sat up. “What are you talking about? Zelo’s dad is dead.” “I know, but that looks just like him.”

Youngjae looked in the direction Jaebum pointed in. His eyes gradually grew wide when they landed on the familiar man. The man was surrounded by three small children and a gorgeous woman at his side. Jaebum squinted his eyes, trying to get a better look at the family. He didn’t want to believe it, but he was positive that was him.

Youngjae could feel his blood boil in side him. ‘He couldn’t believe it. He’s dead. The Midnight Shadow clan killed him.’

Jaebum took Youngjae’s silent reaction as confirmation to his own suspicions. He looked out at the water where their four pack members played in the water, each of them avoiding Shownu’s sneak attacks. He was surprised to see that Yongguk let himself relax a little and gave into some of Shownu’s games. “We can’t let Yongguk see him.” He looked back at the family of five.

Youngjae shook his head, “That’d be doing him a favor.”

“Youngjae.” Jaebum turned to him. He was met with the omega’s angry eyes. “Fine.” Youngjae gritted. He stood up and stalked toward the family. Jaebum sighed but quickly followed him.

Youngjae’s fingers curled into fists at his side. He was lost for words. He didn’t know what to think. The only thing that came to his mind were the images of a young Zelo crying for weeks over the lost of his father, and how much he and his dying mother struggled. “Hey!” He nearly shouted when they were only a few feet away from the man.

The couple turned around. By this time the three kids already ran off into the water. The man’s eyes widened in shock, recognizing the two wolves. “Youngjae. Jaebum.” “Hm? Honey, you know them?” the woman beside him questioned. The man nodded, “They’re the children of two of my close friends. I’ll be right back.” He said. She nodded and gave the two boys a wave.

The man walked away with the two Silver Pack members until they were out of hear shot from his wife. “You two have grown so much.” He smiled. “Wow, Jaebum, you really grew up into the man I thought you’d be.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter