Chapter 3: Exploring new options

Transactional Relations At The Incheon International Airport Cafe

Joohyun was sitting on her queen size bed with her trusted wine glass full of Moscato by her side and her phone in front of her.

 

She thought," If I am going to pursue such a ridiculous idea then I need the liquid courage to do it." She was aware that every dating app offered a wide range of potential love interests even some that were downright strange. After she downloaded the app a screen appeared that asked her if she preferred male or female or both. Joohyun really wouldn't consider herself biual but she did date both men and women in the past, more men than women.

 

Men seemed to approach Joohyun more while women who would send looks from across the room or send their close female friend to ask Joohyun out for them or slip Joohyun their phone number. Seulgi always said that is was probably contributed to the cold stare that Joohyun sometimes wore on her face that intimidated men and women from asking her out.

 

"Save your resting face look only for work, not out in public," Seulgi would always said. Joohyun chuckled to herself at the thought she couldn't help it her face makes that expression. Joohyun also thought that it would help drive Seungri away and he would leave her alone for good. But a guy like Seungri is always up for a challenge and he was intent on making Joohyun has girlfriend.

 

"Never," Joohyun said as she took another sip from her wine glass.

 

 

 

Joohyun let the minutes go before she decided that both male and female were her desired pool of people to chose from. She secretly wanted to see how much the beauty of the female population varied throughout the world. She hoped that in since she was not face to face with the female suitors that maybe they would send her message first she would wait.

 

Joohyun admitted to herself that it would be nice to be in a relationship but at the same time this was something different and exciting in a way but she really wasn't putting all her hope in finding a soulmate while using this method. She came to the screen where she had to write about herself and she thought that she should make it exciting to grab the attention of a vast range of people. Seulgi always scolded her to leave her condo every once and awhile to try new things and stop being a scaredy cat.

 

Seulgi once said, "How do you expect to fall in love if you don't go out and meet people?"

 

Joohyun did the whole nightclub and bar scene in her early 20's but now that she is 28 years old she wants the simple things in life. Watching a movie while cuddling on the couch at her condo or holding hands while taking a stroll on the beach. She also envisioned taking road trips on her weekends off maybe attending a wine festival or seafood festival or just hiking because she didn't exercise that much anymore. She laughed when she thought of the extra calories she was putting in her body with this intake of wine so late into the night but she is a shy person by nature and the alcohol added the extra boost she needs.

 

 

 

Joohyun decided that she didn't want to go too outrageous with describing herself maybe she should keep it basic but not too boring. Seulgi told her from time to time that it really doesn't matter what comes out of Joohyun's mouth because her beauty is intoxicating for anyone who pursues her. Joohyun is well aware that men and women in the past who approached her did it for her appearance first and she is the same way as everyone is.

 

But she thought that she wanted to find someone with common interests or exciting new experiences to try before she judges appearance. Her past relationships failed because after the physical contact there wasn't much else there to continue with. She started her profile by saying that she has a full-time job, car, and place of her own but concluded that she expects the same in return.

 

Joohyun recalls how her coworker Joy went on many dates before she met Taehyung and she was stood up at a restaurant where she waited for a little over an hour for the guy. They had been speaking for 2 days and Joy thought they had a connection so she suggested they meet in person so the day of the date Joy sent text message after text message to the guy and he never responded. She found it strange but decided to go ahead to the restaurant they agreed to meet that evening. As 25 minutes went by and there was no response Joy knew she was played for a fool. She continued to sit there and stare into space trying to hide her tears of embarrassment as her waitress filled her water glass for the 4th time that night. When Joy caught a glimpse of a very handsome but familiar face serving drinks behind the bar.

 

"Wait a minute isn't that Taehyung from work," she whispered to herself.

 

As Joy approached the bar Taehyung looked in her direction with a big smile on his face and asked if she would like to order a drink. Joy chose a martini on the rocks because she didn't care about the headache for her early morning shift the next day as she wanted to erase this night from her mind. Joy reached into her purse to fetch her wallet as Taehyung's hand squeezed hers to stop her.

 

"No this one is on the house," Taehyung replied with a wink.

 

Joy chuckled to herself and said," I take it you saw me over there sitting by myself and felt sorry for me because my date is a no show, right?"

 

Taehyung shook his head no as he was trying to protest Joy cut him off. "It's okay to admit the truth I will never turn down free alcohol even if it is a pity drink," Joy lifted the glass to her lips while smirking at Taehyung.

 

Taehyung was blushing because he was caught but he was working up the courage to ask Joy out on a date. Joy emptied her glass and ordered another martini and Taehyung suggested that if she was to continue drinking then he would drive her home when his shift is over at eleven. As humiliating as that experience was for Joy the end result was better than expected.

 

After that night, Joy and Taehyung became inseparable spending every free chance they had together but they had to hide their feelings at work. Kompass had a strict policy in the company that prohibited dating on the job and if you were dating someone you worked with and Kompass found out then they would transfer one person to another building within the airport. Joy wanted to see and speak to Taehyung everyday at work so they kept it a secret with only a small group of coworkers that knew.

 

Well after that failed date the guy who left Joy waiting reached out to her 5 days later explaining that he didn't have a job or car and he was crashing on his buddy's couch that he felt ashamed to tell her that. He was also afraid to respond after he received a cuss filled rant from Joy through text that night. She replied that all is forgiven but maybe in the future he should be completely honest and Joy ended it at that. But Joy never failed to recount this story to all of her single female friends as a precaution.

 

 

 

Joohyun was browsing the pictures on her phone to include on her profile. She came across a beautiful picture at the Han River with the sun setting in back of her. She also included her standing in front of the Eiffel Tower where she went on vacation last fall with Seulgi and Jimin. Yeah she admits she was third wheeling it for the trip but she was excited to witness Paris fashion week in person. She also chose a photo of her and Seulgi holding cocktails for a work function event to ring in the new year in Hong Kong. The last photo was taken in May on Jeju island that weather was just warm enough to walk the beach but not enter the water. Joohyun thought 4 photos were enough and she didn't want to go too crazy because she wanted her profile to stand out too. All 4 photos Joohyun chose captured her every day style nothing too revealing she didn't want to appear desperate or attract the wrong kind of attention.

 

When her description about herself was complete the site asked her a series of questions to answer like what are her values and is she looking for a short-term or long-term relationship or hookups. Joohyun still found humor in this whole process but decided that long-term relationship would be ideal in connecting with someone who would take this app seriously or not they could lie. The next page explained that she can either select a check mark in a green bubble if she was interested or X in a red bubble if she wasn't interested. There was also a percentage rating listed at the top of the screen from the questions that were answered from the survey. Joohyun thought to herself simple enough this should be easy.

 

The first guy that appeared on screen had photos of himself flexing his muscles on the beach, drinking with the boys, smoking a cigar, and lastly showing off his jacked up motorcycle.

 

Joohyun's phone ding she already had a message it was this guy Ricardo from Chile it said, "Like what you see?"

 

Joohyun chuckled at the boldness of her first suitor but chose not to reply there were more profiles to browse and she wanted to look at some of the women first before she made a decision about opening up lines of communication with anyone.

 

She paused at a woman named Carmen who lived in Los Angeles who was wearing a long red dress with a slit that went up to her thigh also bikini pictures of her laughing on the beach. Joohyun rolled her eyes thinking so typical what dating app doesn't include people like this well at least Carmen will take the erted attention away from Joohyun for once. Maybe curiosity got the better of Joohyun and she found herself reading Carmen's profile. She only made it through the first line which read, " My husband and I are looking for a willing female who enjoys threesomes and ."

 

" Of course you are probably to benefit him and not you." Joohyun said aloud. She glanced at the alarm clock on the night stand which read 12:30am and decided it was time to turn in for the night. She logged off the app and shut her phone off.

 

Before Joohyun drifted to dream land she thought to herself that maybe it wouldn't be so bad to find love in another country and possibly take the plunge. What does she have to lose? But she can't ignore this nagging feeling that she doesn't have the will within her to uproot her life and move across the globe. It would take a special person to change her mind maybe she could convince that person to move to South Korea.

 

"What am I saying? Just block it out and go to sleep," Joohyun mumbled to herself before shutting her eyes.

 

 

 

Seungwan paused for a moment before she made her decision to select female as her desired gender choice on the Love Without Borders dating app. Seungwan dated men in the past but it was when she was with women that she felt a spark everyone talks about. The next page asked Seungwan to describe herself she knew cooking was her life whether it was for her profession or even in her leisure time. She knew she had to stand out among the rest and that is why she posted pictures of adventures which began at the start of 2019.

 

In February, Yoo Jung Ahn and her went bungee jumping off of the Humber Bay Arch Bridge and skydiving over a cornfield. They also went parasailing in June when they flew to St. Augustine just a girls trip that Yoo Jung Ahn and Seungwan set vacation in 2018 aside to use within the new year. Seungwan also included a pictures of her in her workout clothes in front of the mirror at the gym. She knows it is such a cliche photo but she loves keeping her body in shape and eating right. She noticed the shirt she chose for the photo was a crop top and showcase her abs but it was her favorite photo of herself at the gym so why not use it.

 

In her final photo she was wearing her chef coat standing outside of George's Restaurant holding her arms up to draw attention to the sign with a big grin on her face.

 

"Okay now onto the survey this can't be too complicated I hope." Seungwan said while scanning and clicking through the questions. The next page displayed the profiles of everyone who is register on the app. 

 

"Check for yes and X for no okay I can handle this." Seungwan said to herself.

 

The first woman that appeared on screen was wearing a ball cap, glasses, and had multiple facial piercings. She was a little heavy set and covered in tattoos. Her style seem to consist of baggy jeans, flashy sneakers, and oversize t-shirts. She was a mechanic in Atlanta who admitting smokes and drinks scotch straight from the bottle and is only looking for hookups or digital .

 

Seungwan had to read that last line again "Digital ? What is that?"

 

She thought maybe she should leave it at that.

 

The next profile she looked at was of an attractive but way too young for Seungwan's liking but she read it anyways. Nancy from South Korea who likes to party with her friends, go shopping, sing karaoke, and drive her white 2019 BMW convertible M6 series that was a gift from her father. She even posted a photo of her hugging her father who looked like a white man. "Interesting but too young, naive, and spoiled."

 

Seungwan grumbled before logging off of the app for the night her phone ding with a message in her inbox.

 

She opened it to find that the woman from Atlanta who goes by the name Cee Cee wrote to her, "You know you are pretty and I like daredevils. So I was wondering would you like to start a little something, something if you know what I mean. We don't have to meet in person like ever. Hit me back if you want to."

 

The message included her phone number and some suggestive emoji symbols. Seungwan had her jaw hanging to the floor and her eyes bulged a bit.

 

"I need to deal with this when I am not so exhausted maybe tomorrow would be a better time." Seungwan said as she shut off her lamp beside her bed and slipped under the covers.