Chapter 20: Making Ends Meet, Part 2

Transactional Relations At The Incheon International Airport Cafe

 

Hyojin was led down a long hallway toward the main auditorium where a bright spotlight blinded her. She vaguely made out four figures seated behind a long table. 

 

"Your name and contestant number!," boomed a voice through the loud speaker.

 

Hyojin approached the microphone stand which shrieked as she adjusted it before she said, "My name is LE and my number is 887."

 

The judges panel came into focus as she recognized the famous faces staring at her. The first judge was actress Park Bo Young from one of Hyojin's favorite dramas Oh My Ghostess. 

 

The second judge was rapper Boom as Hyojin hummed Let Me Play in her head but scolded herself as she used all of her energy mesmerizing the lyrics to Bodak Yellow.

 

The third judge made Hyojin's jaw drop to the floor as it was no other than PSY. If she didn't win Korea's Got Talent well maybe she could impress him with her rap skills to sign her to his record label P Nation.

 

"Sounds like a plan," Hyojin thought as her eyes traveled to the last judge who seemed familiar but Hyojin couldn't place where she saw her before. She read the name plate in front of her "Tila Tequila????" 

 

"Whatever as long as she votes yes I don't care who she is," Hyojin thought fixing her leather jacket.

 

Boom spoke up, "So LE what song will you be performing today?"

 

"I chose Bodak Yellow by Cardi B I can relate to the lyrics and I am a pretty strong rapstress," Hyojin beamed with pride.

 

"I'm sorry rapstress?," Park Bo Young sounded confused.

 

"Yeah... I mean female rapper you know ...rapstress," Hyojin explained shifting from side to side.

 

"Love it! Can totally relate!," screamed Tila Tequila giving a thumbs up.

 

Hyojin blushed as she cleared when the beat started and she went into her rapstress mode. Spitting rhymes, oozing confidence, rocking to the beat, and owning the stage until the song ended.

 

Hyojin felt elated and energized that she could perform a couple more songs if the judges let her.

 

"Thank you Hyojin, now will you tell the next contestant we are ready to see them," PSY instructed shuffling some papers.

 

Hyojin blinked a couple of times and stuttered, "Wait did did I advance to the to the next round....huh?"

 

"The producer of the show will contact you but know that you did a great job," Boom shot her a smile as she exited the auditorium.

 

She pushed through the exit door to the blistering cold again dragging her feet through the snow thinking, "Was I foolish to believe I could be anything more than a barista? I can't go back to work as Yoongi warned me that Hoseok has it out for me. He knows I ditched work to hang around the JYP building. Man my landlord is going to kick me out once she discovers that I can't pay the rent this month or from last month too."

 

Hyojin was miserable, she thought there was no one to turn to. She even contemplated living out of her car that as of this moment had a broken A.C.

 

"Oh no I am going to freeze to death," Hyojin whimpered pulling her coat close to her body.

 

When it dawned on her, why doesn't she ask her close friend Hani who works in security at the airport. She lived in a two bedroom apartment so there was enough space for Hyojin to stay. Besides Hani had a reputation of being a playgirl who had a contact list a mile long of both men and women which meant that she was commitment free.

 

"I may be desperate for a place to live but I am not sleeping with her," Hyojin scuffed.

 

Hyojin dialed Hani's number and told her everything that happened in her most sorrowful way possible. She knew Hani was a er for females in distress and agreed to let LE crash for a while but made a point to let her know it wasn't a permanent solution. LE agreed as she was aware that her being around could hinder Hani's playgirl lifestyle.

 

"Just until I receive that phone call and I am gone," Hyojin whispered to herself as the call ended.

 

 

 

Seungwan agreed to work 10am to 7pm on Saturday and Sunday much to her fiance's protest. She woke up feeling a little better from a day full of rest and her lover's famous seaweed soup. She stretched her arms as she turned her attention to the alarm clock that read 7:20am.

 

She was never one to sleep in and she was always awake before her alarm sounded. She peeked at the sleeping goddess next to her who barely made a peep. Seungwan took a loose strand of hair from in front of her fiance's eyes and placed it to the back of her head. Joohyun stirred a little but snuggled into the pillows as Seungwan silently left the bed and headed to the bathroom.

 

She flicked the light switch on and was shocked by her appearance. Her messy hair was nothing new but her eyes were still bloodshot. Her nose was touching the mirror as she examined her eyes closely.

 

"How can this be? I slept for hours at a time and I believe that was the most sleep I ever had in my life," Seungwan thought as she had to come to grips that she indeed contracted the flu.

 

She coughed three times putting the toothpaste on the toothbrush and washed her face profusely as she sneezed everytime water touched her nose. She turned around to reach for the bath towel hanging on the towel rod when she felt two small hands put the towel on her face and rub gently.

 

Seungwan looked at Joohyun wide-eyed when she asked, "Did I wake you with all of that noise?"

 

Joohyun giggled, "It doesn't matter I don't want to sleep in and miss spending my morning with you. So what would you like to eat and don't say toast again."

 

Seungwan pondered for a minute before responding, "Two scrambled eyes with a cup of orange juice."

 

Joohyun smiled and pinched her cheeks, "There's my tiny hamster! You gained your appetite and I hope will be back to normal in no time!"

 

Joohyun grabbed Seungwan's arm and led her to the kitchen for a daily dose of liquid medicine. As they passed the coffee table, Seungwan noticed her phone was sitting off of the charger all night. She picked up the phone and pressed the buttons but it was worthless as the battery was dead.

 

Seungwan went back to the bedroom to search for the charging cord but was interrupted by Joohyun beckoning her to take her medicine.  

 

"Come take your medicine so you don't feel terrible for the rest of the day," Joohyun was measuring out the liquid in the cup. "Here say ahhh!" Joohyun forced the liquid into Seungwan's mouth after pecking her on the cheek and saying good girl.

 

"Hyunnie you don't have to force feed me my medicine, I can do it myself," Seungwan squeaked wiping .

 

Joohyun wrapped her arms around Seungwan's waist and said softly, "But I love babying you because you are so adorable!" She finished by giving the hamster a squeeze and continued to search the cabinets for a frying pan. 

 

Seungwan scratched her head thinking, "Adorable? Not hot or y! What is that?"

 

Joohyun opened the refrigerator and took out a carton of eggs, she placed them on the counter but paused, "You should put on your uniform while I prepare the food so we aren't late."

 

Seungwan was puzzled, "We?"

 

"Yes silly I am dropping you off and picking you up from the hotel all weekend," Joohyun beamed with delight.

 

"You don't have to trouble yourself I can take the bus," her lover croaked.

 

"Don't be foolish I insist on driving besides public transportation is a cesspool of germs and we can't let your condition get worse," the bunny whined.

 

She held her fiance's hand as she pouted and stomp her feet as she whined, "Stop fighting me on everything, okay? We are engaged to be marry and entering into a union together so it is only natural to make sacrifices and form commitments." 

 

Seungwan pulled Joohyun into a tight hug as she whispered okay as Joohyun petted her head and said, "That's more like it baby."

 

They broke the embrace as Joohyun patted her  before returning to the kitchen to finish cooking and Seungwan went to the bedroom to change her attire.

 

 

 

The black Honda Accord skid to a stop in front of the entrance to the Tmark Grand Hotel at 9:45am, 15 minutes before her shift was scheduled to start. Joohyun placed Seungwan's hand in between her hands as she rubbed small circles on her wrist.

 

"Promise me something," Joohyun said as she stared intently into the bloodshot eyes of her fiance.

 

"If at anytime throughout your work shift where you feel faint or nausea, do me a favor and please call me and I will rush over and take you back home with me," the bunny said softly as she adjusted the surgical mask that covered Wannie's face.

 

Her fiance nodded yes as she clicked the button to unlock the door but not before Joohyun placed the tote bag in her hands that contained the leftover seaweed soup.

 

"Bye baby I am going to miss you but I will be here at 6:50pm to pick you up," Joohyun smiled as she rubbed her arm and waved goodbye.

 

Seungwan stood on the snow covered pavement watching her Hyunnie drive off before she entered the building to start her 8 hour shift.

 

 

 

Somewhere on the 55th floor of the Tmark Grand Hotel, a curvy figure of a female wrestled in the bedsheets while her male companion stood by the window in a bathrobe sipping his coffee.

 

"So does this mean our session is over," CL said in her sultry voice with her head propped on her elbow facing the window watching Namjoon in his boxers and bathrobe.

 

"I didn't think you could handle another round after the 3 previous ones," Namjoon smirked cocking his eyebrow.

 

CL giggled as she hid her face behind the satin sheets. She pulled the sheet around her body as she made her way to her secret lover. 

 

"Let me know the next time you want to discuss business or purely pleasure I am open to either," CL said running her finger along his collarbone. "But before you go can you do me a favor?"

 

Namjoon gulped as he replied breathlessly, "Sure what would you like me to do?"

 

"Help me wash my back," CL purred as she dropped the bedsheets exposing her side and swayed her hips into the bathroom leaving the door open.

 

"She doesn't need to ask!," Namjoon exclaimed as he joined his boss in the hot steamy shower for more lovemaking.

 

 

 

Joy was pacing back and forth in the one bedroom apartment she shared with her boyfriend Taehyung. They decided to move in together after two months of dating, a decision that received a lot of criticism from family and friends. The biggest worry was starting a union too quickly. But Taehyung and Joy had known each other for years but were too skittish to act on their emotions.

 

They spent last year starting and ending lackluster relationships with men online for Joy and women set up by friends for Taehyung. The couple stressed themselves over the repercussions they would face if their employers found out about their relationship, only to be proven wrong.

 

"I am tempted to call Bom and ask her which building needs a cashier so I can prepare myself for Monday," Joy paced across the room with her arms folded.

 

Taehyung was relaxing on the couch as he said, "We share an apartment so it doesn't matter whether we see each other or not at work." 

 

Joy stopped pacing and directed her angry look at her boyfriend, "I hope you don't mean that, take for example Miss Joohyun how even though her fiance Chef Seungwan's office was right next store to hers. She faced harassment from Seungri everyday as they hid their engagement I am concerned that I might work with an individual who acts like Seungri." Joy sat next to V huffing in frustration.

 

Taehyung pulled Joy close and placed a kiss on her forehead, "I won't let anything happen to you and if you are uncomfortable in your new work environment then send me a text and I will handle it."

 

"Ohhhh my hero," Joy flashed a wide smile leaning in for a long passionate kiss. 

 

As they broke apart V concluded, "Besides honey what if I am the person that CL and Minho decide to transfer and not you?"

 

Joy furrowed her brows before she replied, "I highly doubt they would transfer a Sous Chef over the Lead Cashier." Joy chuckled imagining V being escorted out by security over her. "It's not possible."

 

"You never know," Taehyung said focusing on the soccer game playing on the TV. 

 

Joy leaned into his shoulder while scrolling through the photos on the phone thinking, "If worse comes to worse I have a back-up plan." As her finger stopped on the photo of CL and Namjoon cozying up to each other.

 

 

 

Seungwan wore her white collar shirt, black dress pants, black vest, and black bowtie. Her uniform was hanging in the closet this morning obviously washed, dried, and ironed by her lovely fiance. She had to admit she loved being pampered but she wanted to do the giving as well as receiving. Since her relocation to Korea, Seungwan felt that Joohyun took on the role as her provider. She wanted to show the woman she loves that she is a strong, reliable, and an independent woman herself.

 

Even though Seungwan's health was lacking, she was determined to invest in one of her jobs since it seemed like the catering job will be her only source of income. As much as Seungri deserved that punch she wished she had considered the outcome of her action before she let her anger take over.

 

"Well it is in the past and I can't change it," Seungwan thought as she took the elevator to the basement where the kitchen was located. "I hope that Minho spares me my job but I am praying for a miracle." 

 

Seungwan reached in her tote bag to search for her phone as she sighed in defeat remembering she left the dead device on the coffee table. The elevator doors opened to the cooking and catering staff rushing from one side of the kitchen to the stairs that led to the main lobby.

 

"Alright everyone gather around as I have an announcement to make!," Kang Hodong proclaimed rising his voice to be heard over the clutter of dishes hitting the serving trays to the buzzing of timers on the oven.

 

"Now just like last year we will expect to see an increase in the number of catering events especially with Valentine's Day approaching," Kang Hodong held up a blank piece of paper. "If anyone is interested in working extra hours please right your name on this sheet with your phone number and I will call you to offer any openings. I will post this paper outside my office so feel free to write your name to earn extra money. That is all."

 

Kang Hodong hung the paper on the bulletin board outside his office door. Seungwan rushed to write her name but she was the twelfth person to sign up as she was lacking her quick reflexes due to the flu. 

 

Junhyung appeared from the sea of catering staff and nudged Seungwan on her arm to get her attention. She turned to him to reveal her bloodshot eyes and she was holding back from coughing continuously.

 

"Whoa Seungwan! Are you okay? You don't look so great! Are you sure you should be out of bed let alone working today?," Junhyung looked concerned while eyeing her from head to toe.

 

"I feel a lot better than yesterday as long as I keep my mouth and nose covered I will be fine," Seungwan said in a raspy voice adjusting her surgical mask.

 

"Okay well if you feel like your part of the workload is too much to handle, don't be afraid to ask me for help," Junhyung softly said rubbing her arm.

 

"Thanks Junhyung, I will keep that in mind," Seungwan replied as she made her way to the locker room to hang her coat and lock away her tote bag.

 

Junhyung was waiting for her when she returned to the kitchen. 

 

"So I heard I just missed running into on New Year's here at the hotel," Junhyung said curiously. "Did you see me and why didn't you say hi?"

 

Seungwan felt beads of sweat forming on her forehead but she didn't know if it was from the fever or that everytime Junhyung came near her, her fiance would become jealous. The scene of her sleeping on the couch and her and Hyunnie arguing the next day played right before her eyes.

 

"Hey earth to Seungwan? Sorry to interrogate you seeing that you are not feeling well," Junhyung said with a smile. "I guess I misread our friendship while on the clock I mean you seem like a cool person to hang out with maybe not with me."

 

His smile faded as he his heel and joined the rest of the catering staff.

 

Seungwan was speechless she didn't want Junhyung to think of her that way but she couldn't ignore Joohyun's intuition about his feelings toward her. Seungwan made friends easily and everyone always praised her for her generous heart, how she would put the people she loves and their needs first before her own. She didn't want anyone to get the wrong impression of her but she couldn't find the stamina to convince him otherwise. 

 

She adjusted her bowtie as she went to the dining hall to prepare for the banquet.

 

 

 

After Joohyun dropped the hamster off she had the urge to park the car and walk around downtown Seoul. She didn't want to spend the weekend alone in the condo it reminded her of her single days before she met Seungwan. How Seulgi would beg her to join her and Jimin to spend a day at the park or grab a drink at the bar. Anything to bring her out of her condo and misery.

 

"Oohh look at that cute cafe that sells bubble tea!," Joohyun smiled reading the menu posted on the front door. "I should buy one for Wannie and surprise her at work but no forget it I should leave her alone but I am so sad without her." 

 

Joohyun pouted walking with her head down until she bumped into an unsuspecting couple.

 

"Oh my gosh! I am so sorry!," both women proclaimed at the same time.

 

Joohyun was shocked to see Minho and his wife Sohee standing in front of her.

 

"Miss Joohyun? Didn't recognize you as you had that sad expression on your face," Minho said. "Is everything okay?"

 

"It will be better once you inform Seungwan if she still is employed with Kompass,"Joohyun said. "She is working the entire weekend at her second job because she is worried that she doesn't have a job at the airport." Joohyun was fiddling her fingers embarrassed to voice her concerns to her superior outside of work.

 

"Honey I thought you said you made a decision on that issue," Sohee looked at her husband tugging on his jacket.

 

Minho seemed flustered, "I did I called her last night but she didn't answer her phone. What time does she get off today maybe we can have a sit down at  a diner near the hotel. Can you pass the message along for me?"

 

Tears were spilling from the bunny's eyes as she shook Minho's hand and repeated thank you until she was halfway down the street. She reached into her handbag to grab her cellphone to call Seungwan and tell her the great news but no answer only voicemail. Hyunnie didn't want to but she drove back to the condo to give the place another cleanse when she spotted the dead phone on the coffee table.

 

 

 

Seungwan was in the breakroom reading the newspaper someone left behind. She would normally use this time to browse through her cellphone but today of all days she forgot it. She had a spoonful of the seaweed soup held up to her lips when the door opened and Junhyung came in.

 

"Good I am glad you are here because I want to apologize for earlier," Junhyung pulled the empty seat and sat beside Seungwan as he spoke. "I never want you to think of me as rude but I sometimes let my feelings get in the way."

 

Seungwan stopped eating as she listened intently trying not to miss a word. She felt lightheaded probably from the medicine she took this morning as she found it hard to focus.

 

"Hey sorry maybe we should talk some other time when you are feeling better," Junhyung gave Seungwan's hand a light squeeze as he put the chair underneath the table and exited the room.

 

Seungwan continued eating her lunch trying to block out the feeling that Junhyung is interested in her. 

 

"Please let Hyunnie be wrong because I can't lose this job too," Seungwan thought as she flipped to the classified ads.

 

 

 

It was 6:35pm when Joohyun rushed into the hotel toward the elevators hitting the buttons hoping it would open the doors faster. She became wary when she felt a pair of eyes on her, only to turn around and see Lee Sangmin standing a few feet away.

 

"Miss Joohyun? I thought that was you and what are you doing here? You are not scheduled to work this weekend," Lee Sangmin slowly made his way closer as he spoke.

 

Joohyun bumped into the elevator attempting to back away, "I know I am not scheduled to work and I didn't come here for that."

 

Just then Lee Sangmin's face lit up, "Oh I see a certain someone is being unfaithful and you are here to catch him in the act!" He put his hands on his hips and held his chin high feeling proud of himself also eyeing her engagement ring.

 

"What? Are you delusional? Where do you come up with these ideas?," Joohyun quickly boarded the elevator and hit the down button thankful to see the image of Lee Sangmin vanish as the doors closed.

 

"What a creep!," she mumbled as the doors opened to a hectic scene in front of her as chefs, cooks, catering staff, and managers were moving throughout the kitchen in a hurry.

 

She spotted her Wannie walking through the hallway door catching her breath as Joohyun watched her with a loving look. But her mood dampened as Junhyung followed right behind and placed a hand on her fiance's lower back whispering to her before she shooed him away.

 

Joohyun knew she had to keep her composure, she didn't want to relive the argument that happened on New Year's. She walked to her lover who was leaning against a table balancing herself pulling down the surgical mask as she coughed into her hand a few times.

 

"Hyunnie what are you doing here? Didn't we agree on meeting in the main lobby?," Seungwan asked in between breaths.

 

Joohyun caressed Wannie's cheek and placed her cellphone in her hand. "Minho called you last night but your phone was dead  but I found out when I ran into him and his wife this afternoon. He would like to meet you for coffee after your shift is over. He wouldn't reveal what his answer is but I think it is safe to say we should think postivity."

 

Seungwan blinked back tears letting this mistake put her in so much turmoil. She had such negative thoughts cloud her judgment like should she move back to Canada, cancel the wedding, or break up with Hyunnie.

 

Seungwan hugged Joohyun before she went to the locker room to fetch her jacket and tote bag but not before clocking out for the day. She walked past Kang Hodong's office when he called out to her, "Miss Seungwan great work today and please don't be offended but you should take off tomorrow. Give your body time to recover."

 

"Boss Hodong that is very nice of you but I want to fulfill my agreement and complete this weekend," Seungwan replied in a raspy voice.

 

"Okay if you insist but just know you won't face any punishment if you wake up early tomorrow and change your mind," Hodong replied with a smile before he went back to his paperwork.

 

Seungwan followed her fiance to the elevator hand in hand before they pressed the up button. Junhyung was watching them from the corner of the kitchen.

 

"Hey isn't that the woman she was with at the karaoke bar? Where is this mysterious boyfriend of hers? .......or girlfriend?," Junhyung covered his mouth with his hand speechless as he convinced himself that it couldn't be true.

 

"She doesn't seem gay to me I mean she is very feminine and maybe that woman is helping her adjust to the lifestyle change in Korea," Junhyung continued to fold the dirty white tableclothes before disposing them into the laundry bin and clocking out for the evening.

 

 

 

Joohyun sat in her car with the heat on full blast surveying from across the street a cozy diner where Seungwan and Minho occupied a table by the front window. She blew into her hands while rummaging through her dashboard searching for a pair of gloves to wear. A name tag dropped from the pile of papers she was looking through when she discovered it was Seungwan's badge from the airport.

 

"Oh Wannie I will hold onto this as you may need it someday," Joohyun clutch the badge to her chest. She focused her attention on the two figures talking and sipping coffee. She wished she could be part of the conversation but was aware it was a private affair between them.

 

Joohyun straighten in her seat when she saw Seungwan approaching her car and Minho heading in the direction of the parking garage. Seungwan opened the door and dusted the snow off of her head as she sat still.

 

"WELL WHAT DID HE SAY!," Joohyun yelped causing Seungwan to jump nearly hitting her head.

 

"He said I can report to work on Wednesday but I am being relocated to Building 6," Seungwan croaked.

 

Joohyun screamed with joy knowing the love of her life was keeping her job with Kompass, she couldn't help but tear up. Seungwan extended her hand to wipe away Hyunnie's tears while she felt tears form in her eyes too. 

 

"I love you baby," Joohyun softly said as she pulled Wannie into a tight hug. "We may work in different buildings but I am so overjoyed that you will be close to me throughout the day. You know I might make up excuses to visit Building 6 from time to time."

 

Seungwan shook her head no furiously, "Please don't do that we might get fired."

 

Joohyun rubbed Seungwan's arm, "I am only kidding silly I won't stalk you."

 

Wannie released a sigh as she found it hard to tell the difference between whether Joohyun was serious or when she was joking. Joohyun put the car in drive, turned the wipers on to dust off the snow, and drove home to cuddle up in bed with her fiance now that their future was secure.

 

 

Hyojin was unpacking her beauty care supplies and arranging them in the bathroom at Hani's apartment. She felt a vibration from her phone she kept in her pocket. She looked at the screen and was confused as she didn't recognize the number.

 

"Hello?," she asked curious to find out who this unknown number belonged to.

 

"Is this LE? Contestant number 887 who rapped Bodak Yellow by Cardi B?," a woman said in a business like tone.

 

"Yes this is she," Hyojin almost dropped her phone because of her shaky hands.

 

"The judges at Korea's Got Talent have selected you to advance to the next round," the woman said.

 

Hyojin just about shrieked into the phone but quickly covered making imprints on her face.

 

"We will email you the details for the time and place of the next audition and good luck," the woman said before she hung up.

 

"YYYEEESSSSSS!!!!," she screamed with all her might.

 

Hani ran into the bathroom afraid her roommate might be murdered.

 

"What the hell was that noise for?," Hani asked looking around confused.

 

Hyojin was doing the galloping horse dance made popular by Gangnam Style

 

Hani cocked her eyebrow and laughed, "Uh aren't you 7 years too late on that trend?......Stop it you look ridiculous!"

 

Hyojin couldn't contain her excitement as she said, "I made it to the next round can you believe it! Before you know it I will be rich with my own place to live and more importantly I won't see the inside of the Incheon International Airport unless it is to fly to any country of my chosing!"

 

Hani and Hyojin were jumping and hugging each other at the same time but Hani didn't want to ruin her friend's happiness by informing her the competition wasn't over. She thought as long as Hyojin is motivated to succeed in life than Hani wasn't going to sour the moment.

 

 

Across town two different couples were turning in for the night Joohyun and Seungwan also Taehyung and Joy.  Joohyun and Joy were thrilled to discover that both couples wouldn't face severe punishment for breaking the rules. Joohyun took the intuitive to inform both Seulgi and Joy that her Wannie would still be employed by Kompass but she had to finish her suspension.

 

Joy and Taehyung reacted in pure shock as they never heard of a coworker physically fighting another but given the circumstances and it being Seungri it was reasonable to let things slide. Seulgi was thankful that Seungwan could continue to oversee the catering events hosted through Kompass and she hoped her recording of Seungri saying disrespectful things helped Minho and Chaerin in their decision making.

 

But as the night wore on both Taehyung and Seungwan found it hard to find sleep as they pondered if it was really worth working for Kompass anymore.