Chapter 1: The Usual Routine

Transactional Relations At The Incheon International Airport Cafe

The alarm buzzed at 5:40am Monday morning, Joohyun rolled over the queen size bed and hit the off button. She didn't want to wake up and start another mundane work week. But she knew the bills don't pay themselves especially when you live in a 2 bedroom condo in the Myeongdong area.

 

Joohyun was the only tenant at the condo but she chose a 2 bedroom over a 1 bedroom so that there was a spare room for company to stay if they decided to spend the night like her parents from Daegu or her best friend and coworker Seulgi and her fiance Jimin. The last time Seulgi and Jimin spent the night Joohyun had a hard time sleeping because she was distracted by the two of them whispering to each other and giggling when they thought Joohyun was asleep.

 

Joohyun was overjoyed for her best friend to find her soulmate but there was a feeling  of emptiness that sometimes saddened her mood. Joohyun and Seulgi have been friends for 10 years and Joohyun thought that they would both find love at the same time. As corny as it sounds Joohyun also envisioned a double wedding with Seulgi since they had so many important events that they shared in their lives. Joohyun and Seulgi also happen to be coworkers at the main cafeteria at the Incheon International Airport where they both applied and were accepted 3 years ago. Both women hold management positions in the Kompass food service industry. Joohyun is the Finance Manager and Seulgi is the head of Human Resources. Besides the main cafeteria there are 10 other smaller cafeterias throughout the Incheon International Airport within Kompass. As much as Joohyun respects the people she works with there are just some days she would rather call out than deal with the day to day drama that comes with working in every kitchen. 

 

Joohyun gave herself one last look in the full length mirror in her bedroom before grabbing her keys and purse and leaving the condo. She chose a sky blue blouse and pencil thin skirt while paired with 4 inch black heels. She also grabbed her black sweater before leaving because her office was near a meat walk-in refrigerator and the double doors to the loading dock.

 

Seulgi's office is only a few steps from hers which is convenient because lately Joohyun and Seulgi had to trade information on a regular basis. When a new employee joins Kompass it is Seulgi's responsibility to assist the person with the necessary paperwork while Joohyun schedules the background security clearance and W2 and payroll information. Everything would be smooth sailing but lately every employee they hire seems to leave before the 90 day trial period. Whether it is the stress of working in a busy but understaffed kitchen or finding employment elsewhere. 

 

Joohyun swiped her badge at the security checkpoint where the gate lifted to give her access to a parking spot close to the main building. The time on her dashboard in her black 2016 Nissan Altima read 6:45am, the sun was slowly rising the sky. Joohyun usually was expected to be at work at 7am but she always arrived a little early to try to tackle any obstacle presented to her. Joohyun was retrieving her purse and sweater and filing folders from the passenger seat when a red 2014 Honda Accord pulled up a parking space away. Seulgi waved and turned off the engine, she bought to 2 plastic bubble tea cups with her as she approached Joohyun.

 

"Seulgi you didn't have to bring me bubble tea because I know the line at the coffee shop is horrendous at this time in the morning," Joohyun whined.

 

Seulgi laughed and replied,"Isn't that what best friends who work together are suppose to do and besides I have to keep my maid of honor happy."

 

"Seulgi you know I will do anything for you so stop it with the gifts and it is my treat next time," Joohyun said. "I know but I also thought we could use a caffeine jolt to kick start our day because who knows what it will bring."

 

Seulgi sighed. "I can't argue that, I mean I am dredging checking my voicemail because it is always overloaded with complaints from the staff throughout the airport."

 

Joohyun slightly giggled. "What else is new." Seulgi responded. Both women broke out in laughter as they made their way to the double doors of the loading dock. 

 

Joohyun and Seulgi were chitchatting and laughing as they were at the time clock when Seungri peeked around the wall to catch a glimpse of who arrived. When I say glimpse I mean stare especially at Joohyun who he has been pursuing for the last 8 months that he is employed there. Joohyun quickly side glanced at Seungri hoping he would be embarrassed and rush back to his work station. But he just stood as still as a statue almost drooling as he look at her from head to toe.

 

Joohyun tapped Seulgi on the shoulder and whispered," Does my stalker ever take a day off?"

 

Seulgi noticed Seungri staring at Joohyun and knew how uncomfortable it made her best friend. Seulgi turned to Joohyun and said, "Watch this, hey Seungri! Is the main entree, 2 starch, and 2 vegetable side dishes on there way to being prepared for the 11am lunch hour service?"

 

Seungri snapped out of his daze and responded, "Of course I can handle that tiny task and the cooking assignments for the smaller cafeterias, Miss Seulgi."

 

" I have good faith in you but remember to not disappoint me in the future, okay." Seulgi said with a smile. Seungri's eyes grew wide and he gulped and whispered an "okay" after rushing back to his work table. Joohyun could not have been more grateful to her best friend for that. 

 

Joohyun entered her office and looked at the thermostat that read 70 degrees which wasn't bad but could be warmer so she increased the temperature to 74 instead. She looked at the phone on her desk which read 8 messages waiting for her response.

 

 "Great! What does everyone around her have to about this time," Joohyun sighed. She made sure she was sitting down before she pushed play. "Here goes nothing." Joohyun said while rubbing her temples.

 

"Hey Joohyun, this is Bom I wanted to let you know that we have a new cashier joining our staff this week. Everything seems to be in place Seulgi helped the new employee complete her paperwork. If you could just set up the appointment for a badge and background check and let me know the results. Thank you."

 

"Okay not so bad to start out with but that was only the 1st call." Joohyun thought to herself. The next call was a little hard to understand because the person was outside and it sounded like tools were clanging in the background.

 

"Yo! Miss Joohyun, this is Hyojin calling I just wanted to let you know that I think I accidentally left my headlights on my car on for the whole night. But let me explain that now my car won't start and I will probably be late to work so can you tell Hoseok for me thanks it's been real." Hyojin said before hanging up.

 

"What the...whatever." Joohyun laughed to herself because Hyojin was something else. The next 6 calls were catering events that clients who rented out some of the planes at the airport wanted to schedule weeks in advance. Joohyun thought to herself, "Let's see how that will happen without a catering manager in place."

 

She shuffled some papers then logged on to her computer to see about much revenue each cafeteria was bringing into Kompass. She coincided that it wasn't up to the company's standards but she thought to herself just complete this workday so she can rush home to her 5pm cup of Moscato.

 

Joohyun was leaning back on her chair in the office giving her eyes a rest from staring at the computer screen when the double doors to the loading dock flew open and Hyojin came rushing in. Namjoon the head chef looked around the corner to see who arrived and caught Hyojin at the time clock punching in.

 

"Hey Hyojin head straight to the coffee kiosk so Hoseok can speak to you."

 

"Yeah yeah I know I am late things happen and I know where the coffee shop is I am a barista after all." Hyojin said back.

 

"Look I had to hear him complain all morning all that I ask is that I don't have to be the social worker in my own kitchen." Namjoon said.

 

"Some kitchen you got there," Hyojin chuckled.

 

"What was that?" Namjoon asked annoyed.

 

"Nothing I will be heading to my work station now," Hyojin said in a whisper.

 

"Yeah that's what I thought for a wannabe rapper." Namjoon said under his breath. Joohyun didn't mean to eavesdrop but she had to know what kind of punishment or scolding Hyojin would receive for her tardiness. She was so engrossed in the conversation that she didn't notice Seulgi standing in her doorway.

 

"Oh my, you startled me." Joohyun said as she jumped a little.

 

"I know we all want to find out whether Hyojin will still have a job by the end of the fiscal year." Seulgi said with a smirk. "But business talk aside Joohyun I was wondering if you ever thought of trying a dating app instead you always complain about how unlucky in love you are and all of the creepy guys that approach you like Seungri for example."

 

Joohyun stared at Seulgi with wide eyes and became dry. "Well no I actually haven't looked into the online dating thing but does it seem like it really works." Joohyun said in a low voice. It was already August and Seulgi's wedding was in November and it would be nice to have a date to attend the wedding with even if she is a part of the wedding.

 

"I was thinking that in since most of the men and women here in Korea aren't really to your liking that maybe you should expand your preferences." Seulgi said with a smile.

 

"What do you mean by preferences like change what I am interested in like what I do in my spare time?" Joohyun asked puzzled.

 

"Not necessarily I was thinking why not look for someone who lives in the US or South America or Canada." Seulgi suggested. Joohyun put her hand over as she could not contain her laughter.

 

Seulgi frowned at her and even pouted,"Hey what's so funny! I am only trying to give you options you don't have to make fun of me."

 

"Sorry Seulgi it's just that say if I am interested in someone from another country, what good will that do?" Joohyun asked concerned.

 

"They live there, I live here and there is no way that it will last." Joohyun responded.

 

Seulgi thought for a minute before she said,"Yeah I guess you are right. It was an idea I thought I should throw out there but anyways if you are ever interested I wrote the website on a post-it for you." Seulgi handed the note to Joohyun who eyed it suspiciously.

 

"Thanks Seulgi, I didn't mean to sound ungrateful when you offered your help to my nonexistent dating life." Joohyun said as a warm smile appeared on her face. She took Seulgi's hand and rubbed small circles on the back of it to let her know she shouldn't feel ashamed for trying to help her out.

 

"Well I have to get back to my office to look through potential candidates to fill the position of Catering Chef." Seulgi said with a laugh.

 

Joohyun smiled back and said," Yeah it has been months and that slot is still open I hope they find someone soon because I have 6 requests for catering services within the upcoming weeks." Joohyun sighed. 

 

 

After Seulgi left her office, Joohyun decided to stretch her legs maybe visit one of the smaller cafes to browse around. Just as she had her sweater and purse in hand, she heard a knock on her door. She opened it to see a smirking Seungri, her expression dropped.

 

"Yes? Is there anything you need?"Joohyun asked impatiently. Seungri propped one arm on the door frame and leaned to one side never taking his eyes off of Joohyun.

 

"I was wondering how come I never see you out on our weekends off?" Seungri said confidently. Joohyun wanted to roll her eyes so bad because she knew where this conversation was going.

 

"Why does it concern you what I do on my weekends off?" Joohyun responded a little bothered by the nosiness.

 

"I only ask because I thought that if you are interested then maybe one night we can go to a nightclub that plays techno music." Seungri said sticking out his chest trying to appear muscular to Joohyun. Joohyun giggled at the sight but also at the idea first of all she was no way interested in him. Seungri was so full of himself and sometimes came across as desperate.

 

Besides there was a rumor a few months back that he had with a young female cashier in the airport parking lot. There was a report filed Seulgi spent so much time and energy investigating this claim even cancelling dates with Jimin just to find out in the end it was all false. Joohyun and the rest of the kitchen staff believe that Seungri made it up and spread the rumor himself but tried to deny it and act asham when word got out.

 

Joohyun didn't feel an ounce of sympathy for him then and found the rumor disgusting. "The airport parking lot, really?" She thought to herself. Second of all, Joohyun was not a fan of loud places that where crowded with thumping music and flashing colorful lights.

 

Seungri still stood there with his eyebrow cocked,"So is it a yes or a no?" He asked almost too confident.

 

"It is a no besides I am seeing someone." She lied but if that was going to make him go away then so be it.

 

Seungri nodded his head again and again as he said, "Okay well if you find yourself single or looking for company in the future you know where to find me."

 

With that Joohyun shut her office door and sat down at her desk. She looked at the post-it note Seulgi gave her Love Without Borders was the name of the app. She stared up at the ceiling before thinking to herself that maybe it wouldn't hurt to try something different for once. Seulgi was the type of person who did her research before she presented anything to Joohyun so she could be trusted.

 

Joohyun slipped the post-it note into her purse and said,"I will wait until I get home when I am relaxed besides I don't think Kompass would appreciate me using the company's time to look for a lover." Joohyun laughed to herself at that last remark before returning to her paperwork that she kept at until 4pm when it was time to clock out.