Chapter 19

Breaking Walls
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The car finally pulled into a stop and the rest of the family excluding Seungcheol opened their doors. Jeonghan turned his head to the right, studying the red brick house which was the same as every other building on the street, and yet seemed lovely with the potted plants lined up on their gates and on the veranda. He didn’t know there was such place with many houses in Seoul before, except for the rich neighbourhood. Granted, the Chois live further north so the houses might be cheaper.

 

‘Come inside.’ Haneul’s voice called, and Jeonghan nodded his head before stepping out. The campus is back at the central but they decided to first get back home before changing drivers to send Jeonghan back. He knew the plan, and yet, it didn’t occur to him that they would invite him in. For some reason he thought Seungcheol would drop his family and stuff and Haneul would then send him straight to the campus. Because people just do not invite strangers into their home.

 

Holding on to his bag, Jeonghan waited outside, hesitant to proceed. The door was opened, he heard them asking him to sit but since they didn’t realize he was not there, it was safe to assume they were busy putting their bags in their rooms. He could see the living room with a three-seater and a single couch, fitting exactly four people, facing the television, and in front is a tiny coffee table, and the dining room also with four chairs. There were pictures of both Haneul and Seungcheol framed on the wall heading up towards the second floor. This is definitely the Choi’s house.

 

‘What’re you doing? Go inside.’ Seungcheol called, surprising him as he flinched a bit. Bowing a little, he held out his right arm and offered the owner to lead instead, an action that earned him a silly chuckle. Following the man, he closed the door and took out one of the dining chairs to sit. ‘Sit on the couch, silly. Let’s relax for a while.’ The alpha suggested and he found himself complying. He was about to think about where to sit before Seungcheol crashed himself on the soft cushion and laid on his side. That left the one spot beside his head, and the single couch open. But, the latter is obviously for the man of the house. So, Jeonghan quietly take his position, careful not to sit on the other’s head. ‘You’re tired?’

 

‘Five-hour drive’s not easy.’ Seungcheol answered, exhausted. He then took a deep breath before closing his eyes, ready to sleep. Jeonghan offered him a smile which went unnoticed and turned his head upwards, just staring at the interior of the house. He heard noises upstairs and then footsteps getting louder signifying someone was getting down. As no one had yet to talk to him, he continued looking around, analyzing the whole living room.

 

Unlike their guesthouse in Geoje, there was a few things left scattered around. Although still neat and organized, this is definitely not one of the model houses he would see in dramas or furniture catalogs. DVDs stacked underneath the television set, some documents and magazines under the coffee table, chargers coming out of one of the drawers, it gave him some sense of familiarity yet, strange feeling. The sofas too, are worn out unlike the one at the bar owner’s house but comfortable. And the smell… the smell of the Chois. Just like the smell of Seungcheol’s pillow…

 

‘Jeonghan-ah. You can watch TV if you want. Just make yourself comfortable.’ Mrs. Choi voice called out to him and Jeonghan turned his head towards the kitchen to see her putting some things inside one of the drawers. It was impressive, how they unpacked things so quickly. He would usually leave his stuff in the bag and take it out when he needs them. Just like how he still has some of his things inside his bag when he first moved out of the dorm. ‘You hungry? Where’s Cheol?’

 

‘Ah, no. It’s fine.’ He answered the first question before looking back at the sleeping alpha whose head somehow made it onto his lap without him realizing. Seungcheol was already fast asleep. Glancing at the old lady who was still organizing the kitchen, he told her about her son. She smiled and nodded without looking back, ‘He must be tired. You too, right?’

 

‘A bit. Yeah.’

 

‘Rest here for a while.’ Jeonghan hummed as a reply, his hand tracing the alpha’s thick eyebrows out of boredom. Seungcheol really has pretty eyelashes, quiet the opposite of Haneul’s. It was really weird to know that the older brother is an omega since he could really pass for an alpha. The man must have worked really hard to gain muscles as it is harder for omegas to do so. Jeonghan had been trying for a while, trying to look stronger but he only managed to bulk up a little on his biceps. And now, seeing this pretty face attached to his muscular body, he felt a bit jealous. Seungcheol has nice skin too. Porcelain. Smooth. His lips are red and full.

 

‘Huh?!’ Seungcheol suddenly opened his eyes and the omega quickly removed his hand. The former sat up, looking around a few times before noticing Jeonghan besides him. The sudden movement managed to catch his mother’s eyes and she stated, ‘You’re awake.’

 

‘Yeah.’ He uttered softly, and turned towards the omega, ‘How long was I out?’

 

‘A few minutes.’

 

Taking a long breath, Seungcheol nodded and let himself relax back on the couch. He then grabbed the remote and the television before passing it to Jeonghan. After telling him which button to press, he got up and went to the kitchen to talk to his mother. ‘Jeonghan-ah, wanna stay for dinner?’

 

Jeonghan looked around for a clock. It was only 3 pm. It would be a while before dinner, and he didn’t know what to do while waiting. He was not comfortable being here either. What if the whole family decided to watch a movie? He would be sitting on someone else’s spot. And dinner too, where would he sit? He wouldn’t want to  interrupt their established sitting arrangement. ‘I-uh, I don’t wanna intrude-‘

 

‘Nonsense. You’re our guest.’ Mr. Choi cut him halfway, already making his way down. Jeonghan looked over, now feeling a bit nervous. Once Haneul come downstairs, his sitting on the couch would not be acceptable. Thinking quickly, he uttered, ‘I already have dinner plans.’

 

‘Owh?’ the woman responded before a pause, ‘You need to go back soon?’ A question to which he answered with a yes. She then told her son to call Haneul to drive him back, but Jeonghan refused. They were already in Seoul, he could just take a bus to go back to campus. The suggestion was useless though, as they insisted on driving him back. And probably thinking he was not comfortable having Haneul drive him, Seungcheol offered to do so instead, saying he didn’t mind. Despite Jeonghan knowing how exhausted he was.

 

Well Jeonghan minded. It felt like he was forcing Seungcheol. Which means he felt like the alpha’s doing him a favor. And he dislikes receiving favors.

*****

 

‘And that’s the old bookshop. I still dunno how it survived all these years.’ Seungcheol pointed towards a small bookshop which he passed by quiet a lot few years back. It was on the way from his house to school. He never cared to enter because the books sold there are either old or unknown. Jeonghan seemed interested, and knowing how the man likes literature, he started decelerating, ‘Wanna take a look?’

 

‘Not really.’ Jeonghan answered. Nodding, Seungcheol continued driving slowly while observing the area. He had been through the alley hundreds, thousands of times but he never actually paid attention to the shops here. This was the old area only the residents come to buy some essentials. Interestingly, there were a few antique shops as well. But it looked so old and rundown. He wonder-

 

…Woo Ri.

 

The alpha gripped the stirring wheel, his heart stopped for a few seconds as their eyes interlocked with each other. Shifting his gaze towards the road, he pushed the gear further, pretending not to see her. He could hear Jeonghan a bit taken aback by the sudden change of speed but he didn’t say anything about it, which he appreciated. Glancing at the side-mirror, he ensured the woman was no longer in sight before catching his breath.

 

It was the summer holidays. Of course she would be back home.

 

He just, didn’t think they would actually meet randomly on the street. What were the chances?

*****

 

The traffic light turned red and Seungcheol stopped, looking around while humming to the song. Jeonghan leaned his head back, staring outside towards the familiar view. In a few more minutes, the café where the engineer student work at would be seen, and from there, it would be about twenty minutes to campus. Turning his head to look at the driver, his hair messy and his shirt big, it was actually a bit hard to imagine him looking good, even in his café uniform. But he usually is. ‘What?’

 

‘Nothing Just wondering bout stuff.’ He answered earnestly and continued enjoying the other singing along the radio. Seungcheol really knows a lot of old songs.

 

Another stop.

 

‘You sure you wanna go back to campus?’ The alpha suddenly asked, not even turning his head. It was just a casual conversation, Jeonghan knew the man just wanted to talk. But he really didn’t see the point of asking, ‘Why do you even ask?’ he scoffed, and noticed Seungcheol hitting his head as if he just realized something. ‘Should I stay at some random alpha’s house?’

 

‘No-, I mean, didn’t you stay in the omega house all this time?’

 

‘That’s not my house. I moved out.’ He answered, without any emotion. He was not offended with the question, in fact, he didn’t mind as he was only stating the fact. He grown out of the shelter, and he had no other reason to be there. He was already capable of taking care of himself. Jeonghan glanced at the other slightly, noticing how awkward the man had become. Pulling his lips to force a small smile, his hand traveled towards the small lever of the glove compartment and without thinking further, he pulled it. It opened. And Jeonghan started shuffling through what was inside. ‘I’m gonna move to a big house one day. The dorm’s a good way to save.’

 

Seungcheol turned his head to the right and chuckled, amused at the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter