Chapter 23

Breaking Walls
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A familiar tone caught Jeonghan’s attention causing him to stop typing the words to his essay. He knew what it meant, but he still wanted to look over at his phone screen just to make sure. The thin device was not at its usual place so the omega got up the table to search for it, only to find it still plugged in, on the bedside table. Sighing just because, he brought the phone close.

 

Heat in 1.5 months – the reminder he set to remind himself to find a partner willing to spend a whole week with him. Two months were too long, and a month was not long enough to find someone and ask them to take a week off. So, he randomly settled for one and a half month. Not that, he ever needed the reminder; all his usual partners keep track of his heat in case they were lucky enough to be chosen. Unfortunately for him, he needed it since the incident with Sehun. He no longer wanted to be associated with the old club, which meant not revealing his new number to those frequenting the high-end social place. Because he knew it would only be a matter of time before Sehun finds out. Although he doubt the alpha was still hung up with him, he didn’t want to take the chance. The model can be very persistent and possessive.

 

Feeling a bit annoyed at the notification, Jeonghan started to scroll down his phonebook for any potential partners. He usually keep the contacts of the alphas who he deemed good enough to trust to care for him for a week. However, he was already at the end of the list and all he had were of the shelter, publishers, police, his classmates, his two friends and the Chois.

 

.

 

Jeonghan scrolled back up and started to go down again, really slowly. There must be at least one person. God, he had been going to the club for a while now! Surely…

 

. !

 

This was bad. He had no one in mind. There was only less than two months left. And he didn’t want to return to that disgusting place. Owh god, that awful place, filled with disgusting and dangerous thugs. Just thinking about the vile alphas there made him want to puke.

 

But he didn’t want to go to his old club either. He didn’t want to have to deal with his old contacts.

 

Should he go to another club in a new territory? But what if it turns out to be just another one of the west district club? And he would have to get to know the bartenders and staffs and police officers all over again. Too much work to be done in a span of less than two months.

 

Dammit. He needed an alpha. Desperately. This heat would be worse yet. He could just feel it. The news of his ‘stepdad’s’ parole plea had been bothering him, he just knew it would affect him greatly. There was no way he could go through his heat alone.

 

No way.

 

‘Urghhh.’ Jeonghan groaned as he felt his rapid heartbeat. His irregular breathing… another attack. Inhaling and exhaling through his mouth to gain control, he closed his eyes and leaned forward, already tired. This was exhausting. Everything is exhausting. Why couldn’t he erase his memories like some lucky kids with the same trauma? Why must he let other people do whatever they want with him when he just wanted to be left alone? Why didn’t he have enough strength to end this already?

 

it! everything!!

 

*****

Taking a seat in front of the female omega, Seungcheol returned her greet with a quick smile. Finally, a week after the open campus, he was willing to free his time to see his past lover. The air was solemn as both parties didn’t have a word to say. He stole glances at her all the while, curious to see how much she actually changed since they went their separate ways. But, he didn’t want to make it seemed like he was still into her.

 

Her make-up was thicker, but it suits her. Her hair short and blond, very unlike her past style, and yet she looked comfortable. Woo Ri really looked sweet and mature. Then again, she had always been pretty.

 

‘I changed a lot, right?’ She asked and Seungcheol quickly averted his gaze. Realizing it was futile as she clearly saw him, he nodded instead and commented on the obvious hair. ‘You look good.’

 

‘Really? I wasn’t sure you would since you loved my long black hair.’ Seungcheol only shrugged his shoulders at the comment. His thoughts shouldn’t have mattered since they broke up when she decided to do it. Seeing his disinterest, she cleared , preparing herself. ‘I-uh, I’m sorry for ending things the way I did. It was harsh, and I don’t blame you if you hate me for it…’

 

He remained silent, not knowing what to say. He got his apology, but it didn’t please him even the slightest. He wasn’t relieved nor was he mad. Indifference was the best way to describe it. He felt nothing.

 

‘…I was stupid.’

 

Seungcheol agreed. She was stupid, because he loved her. So much that he was willing to change himself for her. He changed so much that it bothered the people around him, but he didn’t care because he thought it would ensure her happiness. And yeah, he only cared about her happiness.

 

Of course, he didn’t say it out loud. Because god knows how he hate dramas.

 

However, he needed to know one thing, ‘Why though? Why on that day?’

 

‘I just,’ Woo Ri paused, arranging her thoughts, ‘We were together for too long. I started to wonder what it’d be like dating other people.’ He frowned at the answer. So, it wasn’t anything he did. ‘We’re starting a new life, you know. I wanted to try different things.’

 

Different ‘things’. So he was nothing more than her black hair, or her old perfume. Just another ‘thing’. Wow, that hurt more than he wanted.

 

‘You… never wanna do that? Dating other people.’

 

‘Not really.’ He answered, cold and short. Well, obviously he was really naïve, but he didn’t even care about other omegas because he thought he found his future mate. If he had known things would turn out this way, he would have explored his options more.

 

‘Wow. Looks like I let go of someone special.’ Woo Ri chuckled softly seeing his stern face. ‘Kidding. I know you don’t. And I liked you for that. I’m just not as perfect.’

 

Seungcheol sighed. She was being herself, not really caring about other people instead of her own desire. He knew she was like that, he even adored her for that. Really, he shouldn’t be surprised but he was. A bit. Because never would he have thought it would be the reason their break. Because he tolerated what other people found appalling.

 

Whatever it is, they are over. And now he knew the reason why. That was enough for him to finally close this chapter.

 

‘So… how’s dating other people?’ He lightly asked to ease the tension and change the subject, knowing fully well she didn’t date anyone she slept with simply because she was not seeing anyone. If she did, it would already be all over her social media.

 

‘It was fun. But, you know…’ Woo Ri dragged her words, eyeing the male alpha, ‘They’re not you.’

 

Seungcheol glared at her, taken aback by the statement. There was another obvious tension. He didn’t like where this was going. ‘I really regret-’

 

.

 

‘I know I don’t deserve a second chance but, can we be friends?’

 

‘What?’ He questioned, slightly laughing through his nose. That was absurd. She did apologize to him, but that didn’t mean he was okay with being ignored and thrown away. Especially now that he knew it was only to merely fulfill her desire to experience new things. ‘You seem fine without me.’

 

‘Thing are good but-‘ Woo Ri’s voice stuck and she took a deep breath, ‘I guess I got really comfortable being around you. I miss talking to you. I miss hanging out with you.’ Another pause, ‘I shouldn’t have done what I did… Seungie, I really hope we can stay friends.’

 

Seungcheol couldn’t help but laugh. That was an impossible request, but he didn’t know why he was not angry at that suggestion. It was bemusing. Because he could never recall a time when they were friends. The moment they met, they had been courting each other and Woo Ri confessed to him only a month later. They had been lovers since.

 

And yet, Woo Ri wanted what they had, but without the status. Did she really not realize he treated her the way he did because he cherished her? As a lover? Or did she knew, and was actually referring to being comfortable with his personality, instead of because of how preciously he treated her? Because if it was the former, he must admit, he has a really nice personal

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter