Chapter 29

Breaking Walls
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

‘Jeonghan?’ Seungcheol whispered, holding his breath. The familiar lavender scent confirmed his suspicion, though, deep inside, he wished this was all an illusion.

 

Because the rough-looking man standing in front of him was not his Jeonghan.

 

Because there was no way someone could ever hurt his Jeonghan this bad.

 

No. He didn’t want to believe that.

 

That someone would ever dare to hurt Jeonghan.

 

‘C-can I come in?’ The timid voice broke him from his own thoughts, and Seungcheol relaxed his jaw he didn’t notice was tensed. Shifting his position just a bit to make room, the alpha took a deep breath to digest what was happening. He switched the lights on and after a few seconds, seeing the omega sitting quietly on his bed, started to gasp for air.

 

, what the hell happened? Why was Jeonghan covered in bruises he was hardly recognizable? Who the hurt him?

 

‘Jeonghan?’ He again asked to get the other’s attention, somehow still trying to convince himself that the man was not actually there. Or that he was mistaken. Secretly wishing the man would act confused being called a different name than his own. Or even, he would start laughing and pull a mask to reveal the pretty, naughty grin he always bore and yell, ‘gotcha!’. But the answer snatched him off his hope. ‘Can I stay here? I-I can’t be alo- I-… C-can I?’

 

Seungcheol gulped.

 

Jeonghan was afraid. And he was not hiding it. , he looked so sad right now. He never showed this side of himself to anyone. The last time he heard such weak voice from the man was during their holiday together, and even then, it was not this… broken. Clenching his fists, Seungcheol tried his best to open his shaky mouth. Nothing managed to come out as he found himself too overwhelmed by the sight and presence of the other. He stared at Jeonghan again, noticing that the man had started to pull his knees to his chest, albeit his pained expression.

 

Seungcheol frowned. He wanted to do something. He wanted to make the man feel better. He wanted to erase all the bad memories so Jeonghan would stop crying. He wished he could so something…

 

‘I…’ He struggled to find the right words, ‘I’ll… stay with you.’ He looked back at the omega who nodded softly at the suggestion. Forcing a smile, he was about to sit before remembering where they were – the alpha/beta dorm. Omegas are not allowed except for orientation. Of course, he could let Jeonghan stay the night, but obviously, he would not allow the man to leave his sight until he is better. Which meant, he wouldn’t let Jeonghan leave until he was sure the man would be okay. And considering how his friends would visit his room at random times, it would only be a matter of time until someone discover the omega in his room.

 

The situation was not ideal. If they are caught, especially with Jeonghan looking like he was, things would turn really ugly with the management office.

 

‘We’ll go to the Welfare Center?’ He suggested and Jeonghan only nodded yet again. Without the usual argument, even a playful start of a banter. It was clear that he didn’t really care as long as he was not left alone. Seungcheol nodded to himself, keeping his distance. He didn’t want to come close, afraid it would be a bit much for Jeonghan. After all, they were, in a huge fight just a day ago. Even though Jeonghan was here now, it didn’t mean he was willing to let Seungcheol close. For all he knew, he was chosen because he was the closest acquaintance the man had, considering Joshua lives outside campus.

 

Taking his phone out, he started to search for any information on the center, especially opening time. It was so early in the morning he doubts they would even be able to enter. And just as he thought, the place wouldn’t open until another six hours. By then, all his dormmates would be walking around. It would be impossible to sneak Jeonghan out without alerting someone.

 

A sigh. Peeking at the other who sat still staring at nowhere, Seungcheol wiped his face. He could ask Siwon if they can spend the night at his house, but the place was too far. Not to mention he would need to go to the bar to ask for the key and there was no way in hell he would bring Jeonghan to that bad neighbourhood. Especially in his condition. And he didn’t want to leave Jeonghan here alone either while he retrieves the key.

 

Which left him one last choice. ‘You… okay if we go to a, urm, hotel?’

 

He quickly regretted suggesting it when Jeonghan started to shake. He didn’t know the exact reason, but he could guess it had something to do with his attack. Owh, how he wanted the man to stop vibrating. It was bothering him so bad, but it was not his place to ask. And Jeonghan didn’t look like he was comfortable talking about it either, at least, not right now, when the wounds were obviously still fresh.

 

‘I c-can’t go out…. It’s uh, it’s too… it’s,’ the man was struggling, ‘H-he’s still…’

 

That was enough for the alpha. He didn’t need to hear the rest. Cutting the man from the torture of having to explain the situation, he assured, ‘I won’t leave your side. Not even for a second.’

 

‘I-‘ he held his breath, trying to convince himself as well, ‘-won’t let him hurt you.’

 

At least, he would try his best. Because god knows, he was scared as hell.

 

*****

‘This is the first time I’m in a hotel not for .’ The dry attempt at a joke curved a smile at the young alpha’s face, a bit relieved that the other even tried. He knew Jeonghan was not expecting a laugh. He merely said it to calm himself, rather than to lighten the mood.

 

Both were tensed from the moment they left his dorm room until they entered the hotel room. It was the worst 45 minutes in his whole 20 years of life. But he couldn’t complain, he knew the omega felt much, much worse. He was shaking violently, muttering words to convince himself he had no choice, all the while trying to hide himself in the other’s arms. And though Seungcheol knew he should feel happy the man he liked did those intimate gestures voluntarily, he couldn’t find it in himself to enjoy the moment even the slightest.

 

Seungcheol sat on the sofa and kept on looking at the door, making sure the swing bar was in place. He wondered if it would have been better for them to find a hotel with chain lock instead. Which one was better? He never thought he would even bother about this thing. Maybe he should push the sofa in front of the door? That would provide more security…

 

Wait, was the window locked? Could someone crash the window to get in? He needed to check if someone would be able to clim-

 

‘You wanna sleep here?’ Seungcheol turned his head towards Jeonghan, confused. He could hear wrong; he didn’t pay attention. As if knowing what he was thinking, Jeonghan patted the other side of the queen-sized bed, ‘I won’t bite, I promise.’

 

Again, another attempt at a joke. It would have been funny had it been followed by his usual sheepish grin or the seductive look, because that happened a lot, and Seungcheol always knew the offers were meaningless teases to induce his embarrassed reactions. But this time, it lacked everything. It was monotonous, with a hint of sincere suggestion.

 

It was confusing.

 

The young alpha shook his head lightly, rejecting the idea. Jeonghan probably felt bad for him but he didn’t want to take advantage of the situation. Sure, he suggested going to a hotel, but he had not intention of doing such intimate stuff with the man who only came to him out of desperation and helplessness.

 

At least, he thought he was doing the right thing by rejecting the suggestion. The disappointed look on the omega’s face, however, told him that the man wanted him to share the bed.

 

‘Ahh…’ He muttered to himself, realizing that Jeonghan was not interested in him, rather, he wanted comfort and warmth of another person. And the only other person in the room was him. Feeling dumb, Seungcheol got up from the sofa and slowly made his way towards the bed, all the while ensuring he was welcomed. Then he sat down, and laid back. Just enough distance from the edge but providing enough space for the omega to sleep comfortably.

 

The movement from the other, inching closer stiffened him. Jeonghan was so close he could feel his breath, and yet, they were not touching. Glancing at the other, noting the blank stare and somewhat shaky physique, Seungcheol sighed inwardly. ‘Coups…?’

 

‘Hrmm?’

 

‘Can you strengthen your scent? Just a bit? You smell like my essential oil. It hel-‘

 

Seungcheol complied without any question.

 

‘Thanks…’

 

‘Feel better?’ He asked to ease the awkward tension, and tell the man he didn’t mind. Jeonghan nodded and closed his eyes after taking a deep breath. Seungcheol switched off the lights before

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter