Chapter 8

Breaking Walls
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The clock showed a quarter past eleven, reminding Jeonghan on how long he had been sitting at the bar drinking his boredom away. Friday nights were supposed to be lively, he was hoping for that but it seemed, in this part of the city, every day is Friday. Sure, it was fun at first, but he got used to the atmosphere. Nothing excites him about this place anymore. Back at the old club he used to frequent, they hold themed events once in a while. Here, people just dance. The DJ changes every day but the sounds are the same. The people coming here? Below average which made his alpha hunting harder than he thought. So hard that he had to go through his last heat alone. For the first time in years, he had to endure the humiliating and traumatizing experience alone.

 

‘Still no one?’ the bartender with whom he had made acquaintance with asked, knowing fully well his intention and interest. Jeonghan always made sure he knew the staffs of the place he would frequent so they can be his alibi if anything were to happen. Over the years, he learned that these people matter the most especially if he were to be accused of anything, which he was, one too many times by the alphas he rejected.

 

Shaking his head as an answer, Jeonghan smirked in acknowledgement as his friend gave him the ‘signal’. An alpha was walking towards them, and based on her expression, a good-looking alpha. Winking at the staff, the young omega turned towards the newcomer, giving him a disinterested look but inwardly assessing him.

 

Above-average at best, but with a hot body. Confident, that was for sure which made him appear to be even more attractive than he actually was. But obviously, Jeonghan could always see pass through it. ‘Been watching you. Jeonghan right?’

 

‘Yeap. And that was not creepy at all.’ He started his act, making the man work for him. The man chuckled at his reply, it was a cute one, but a calculated gesture. Not that he cared, there was no way he would find a genuine person here anyway. ‘Well, I heard about you and uh, your adventures.’

 

Jeonghan clicked his tongue in annoyance. It was no secret he despise pretenses but a little teasing never offended him. Being honest about wanting to him was, and bringing up his past to back it up, even more. As if he was nothing but a object they can do whatever they want to whenever they want. This guy, just ticked all the boxes. ‘Too bad. Not feeling adventurous tonight.’ Jeonghan got his point across and turned back towards the bar, not wanting to waste his time on the alpha before his hand was pulled lightly, but firmly back.

 

‘I can show you a good time.’ He persisted, to which the omega again, rejected. ‘Maybe I have something that might change your mind.’ The man pulled out something from his pocket to show the latter, his eyes lurking around, aware of the surrounding before stopping a few seconds to a corner of the second deck. Tracing his view, Jeonghan noticed a group of men on the upper deck, observing them both. It was so unnerving he had to quickly shifted his gaze to avoid getting caught staring. His eyes landed on the small tube on the alpha’s hand.

 

Drugs. Of course. There was no way he was getting into this mess. ‘No thanks.’

 

‘I’ll let you have a taste…’ The man tried to trace his face gently, his lips before Jeonghan pushed it away, glaring at him. ‘…for free. Then we can-‘

 

‘Piss off.’ Another push, countered by a forceful pull and the younger male had enough. The alpha was practically begging him to take the drug and sleep with him, it seemed he wouldn’t stop no matter what Jeonghan did. He needed to get his point through clearly – with a slap.

 

‘I said no.’

 

. The man was really pissed right now, his nostrils doubled in size as he smirked to maintain his calm. That was not what scared Jeonghan, he was used to these situation but most alphas would not go as far as using their pheromones on him over a mere rejection. This man was practically threatening him, the air around him started to feel heavy.

 

‘Take the ing thing.’ Jeonghan leaned against the table, trying to fight the urge to surrender. His eyes caught a glimpse of the group of men on the second floor, they seemed to be interested in their current situation. He didn’t know what to make of it, but he didn’t want to wait and find out. Whether the men were friends, or foe, Jeonghan needed to first make sure the alpha in front of him leave. ‘You’re gonna ruin everything.’ The man hissed.

 

Taking his phone out despite the warning from the other, Jeonghan took the man’s picture before it was slapped away from his hand. And in just a millisecond, a palm landed on his cheek. Although a bit shaken and hurt, Jeonghan quickly grabbed a bottle from the counter and without thinking, smashed it on his attacker’s head, sending him screaming on the ground. Honestly, he was numb of his senses right now. The only thing he could hear was the ringing in his ears and inaudible voices as if he was under water. Everything was blurry, lights like one of those bokeh photos.

 

Feeling a slight pat on his shoulder, Jeonghan gasped as he returned to reality. ‘Jeonghan, go. Hun’ll take care of him.’

 

Nodding his head one too many times, he decided to comply. Taking his phone from the ground, Jeonghan opened the photo and shoved in to the alpha’s face. ‘If I see you again, know that this is gonna go to the police.’ Turning it back towards himself so he could open another application, he then showed the other his address book and scrolled them. ‘I know every ing policemen here, er.’

 

*****

 

‘Urnhh!’ His mouth hurt so bad right now. It was throbbing and he swore he felt heat emitted from it. Groggily dragging his feet to the bathroom, Jeonghan stared at his reflection. He looked like a nightmare. His left cheek was red, his lower lip was cut from him accidentally biting it during the impact. This wasn’t the worst he ever gotten so, at least there was that.

 

Looking left and right for something he could use to cover it up, Jeonghan realized he had nothing of such stuff. It felt a bit weird, he used to get hit a few times back when he was experimenting with older alphas after his rescue, but somehow he was able to cover it up perfectly. How did he do that again?

 

Owh yeah. Most people at the shelter who had been through the same ordeal as him. They were used to carrying around concealers with them so he always used theirs. Jeonghan sighed, this was the first time he got hit in years, which was why he never bothered to buy a concealer for himself in the first place. And damn, it hurt like hell.

 

How the hell would he go to class like this? People would start talking, lecturers would call him to the side and ask what happened, he could even imagine the school councilor giving him a visit. It was, of concern for his scholarship anyways.

 

Jeonghan slapped his forehead at a sudden realization that today was Saturday. He didn’t have classes which meant he didn’t have to bother hiding it. Because he had no place to be and no one to meet.

 

… yeah. He had no one to meet. And no place to be…

 

Because obviously, unlike all the weekends he had been spending since he started college, there was no way he was going to return to the club tonight. Not after what happened last night, and not looking like this. He would look so pathetic and desperate, and that was not the image he would want to show his potential partner. So, unlike all the past Saturdays and Sundays, today he would be all alone. But it was fine, he would probably be too focused on recovering that he doubt his mental problems would even have the chance to bother him.

 

Maybe. Well, now that he thought of it, he should find something to do anyway. Just to be sure.

 

What should he do? Having no free time for himself for almost two months, Jeonghan almost forgot what he used to do back at the shelter. He remembered being busy, but it was hard to recall doing what exactly.

 

…owh. Helping the volunteers, playing with the children, helping preparing for events… something he couldn’t really do here. Because there were no children, and this was not the shelter. And, he was here all alone.

 

So, basically, he had nothing to do. Should he just stay in bed and sleep? Will that trigger his depression? He wouldn’t want that, not when he was already out of bed and done washing his face…

 

Laying his head on the table, Jeonghan started to bring out the new phone he bought last month using the scholarship money. The ones from his books were for his future career so he promised himself not to touch it. Opening the usual Youtube to check for interesting videos which he watched for a while followed by other websites, the young student closed everything out of boredom. Scrolling through to see what applications he had installed and opening it one by one out of curiousity, he finally decided to view his gallery, hoping to find something he could reminisce. He hadn’t transferred all the pictures from his old phones yet, having been too lazy to set it up but it didn’t matter. He was just interested to see what he had been doing this past few months since he entered college, hoping to find some idea for what he should be doing today.

 

Nothing. There were only pictures of food he ate, and the notes he exchanged with his classmates. And that damned drug dealer who hit him last night.

 

Was his life really that mundane? It didn’t feel like that though, he had enough partying and so his social life was great. Of course, that was not something he bothered taking pictures of…

Jumping a little from the sudden vibration and notice on the screen, Jeonghan couldn’t help but feel a bit excited, receiving a message just at the right time when he was about to dive into his depression. That excitement was short-lived though as he realized it was one from their class group chat, some kid just asking for help with his homework. And look, already people were spamming the chat room with answers, another questions and memes. Don’t they have a life?

 

Muting the phone and laying it face down, Jeonghan decided it was best for him to shower and cool down his head. Obviously today was not a good day to begin with, and his mental issues were starting to take control of him. He needed to do something to distract himself. Even though he was not in a hotel with some alpha and getting lunch together like every weekends, he should at least think about what to eat. Even though he wouldn’t be getting ready for another party tonight, he should at least dress properly and go out. Just like any other weekends, he needed to make sure the dark thoughts never even have the room to appear.

 

Laying back on his bed, still in his bathrobe, Jeonghan wondered what kind of activity he should do today before deciding what to wear. Should he head to the library and read some books? That was the only think he could think of that would not involve bothersome human interaction. Not only have that, maybe he could even find some ideas for his writings.

 

Yes, the library seemed like a great idea.

 

*****

 

‘Hey Coups!’ The sudden loud voice shocked Seungcheol who quickly closed his ex’s Instagram, somehow feeling like he did something wrong. Of course, still stalking Woo Ri after their break could be considered wrong, but that was not enough reason to call him out. Waiting for the footsteps to slow down before turning his head again to look at his basketball club senior, he greeted the man. ‘You’re busy tonight? Wanna join us?’

 

‘I have part-time…’ That was reason enough for him not being able to join whatever plan the senior had in mind. Although, he was, a bit curious of what the plan was, ‘Why?

 

‘You can call in sick right? Come on Coups! We’re having group date tonight but Jae cancelled on us. 5 omegas’ are coming from the women’s university!! Nurses!!’

 

‘They’re really hot! Show him the pic!’ Another voice joined in and Seungcheol caught two more seniors gathering beside him. He didn’t catch their footste

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter