Chapter 41

Breaking Walls
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The volunteer facilitator walked around in circle, reluctant to enter the dormitory. He had gotten his juice, and he also bought some cans of beer and sodas with some snacks for the younger omega. He was done with his task but somehow Jeonghan couldn’t convince himself to get inside and do what he promised to do – talk to the awkward omega. Sure, he was concerned, but he didn’t know whether he would be of any help. In fact, he was worried that he would make things worse with Soonyoung thinking that the senior who was living right beside him is a nosy busybody.

 

Urgh, how he wished the man was already asleep.

 

Would it be considered rude to pretend to forget about it? Tomorrow he can just let Soonyoung know that he had a lot in mind that he failed to remember he had made plans.

 

No, that would be too cruel. What if the kid was hoping to make a friend? Or even just talk to someone who would listen?

 

‘What’re you doing outside?’ Jeonghan flinched a bit, caught off guard by the voice of his fellow volunteers. The 4th year male omega had just returned from a work-out session, based on his clothing. Embarrassed by his obvious squirms, Jeonghan greeted the man, showed the plastic bag in his hand and got inside, not bothering to explain his situation.

 

‘Hurh…’ Jeonghan sighed at the sight of his door and to its left. Soonyoung looked a bit depressed when he left, he could already be asleep or on the bed, not wanting to get out. Because Jeonghan was like that on days when he feels blue. Should he try knocking? If there was no answer, he could just leave. There was no need to force the kid into a conversation. He would, feel bad if he didn’t do it…

 

The concerned senior took a few deep breaths, convincing himself to proceed with the plan and knocked a few times, pausing in between to not seem hasty. He gave it a few seconds, not even trying to say something since it wouldn’t be heard anyways and he wouldn’t hear any footsteps either. After deciding that an abundant of time had passed, Jeonghan turned back and entered his own room.

 

Guess it wasn’t meant to be.

 

Laying all the beverages and snacks he bought today on the counter, Jeonghan grabbed his orange juice and puts everything else in the fridge. He could just bring the beers to the orientation party and enjoy them together with his alpha alone in the man’s room.

 

Owh. Seungcheol’s room… He wondered how much had changed since their own orientation party. The last time he went there after his attack, he didn’t get the chance to see or remember anything so he was just curious. Is Seungcheol still sloppy? Did his alpha have their picture together printed and placed anywhere in the room? Because everything is digital now, so having their picture on paper would be a very nice gesture that Jeonghan knows will make his heart melt.

 

Speaking of… they can even continue where they left off! This time, he will get to have fun with his alpha and go really wild. Because damn, Seungcheol was really hot while drunk that night. The last few times they did it, the man had been really gentle so Jeonghan is really excited to encounter another aggressive make-out session with a drunk Seungcheol. Ah! He couldn’t wait! Two more days…

 

Jeonghan chuckled to himself, jumping on the bed to hide between his pillows from his own lewd thoughts. He should wear something y underneath his sweater to surprise the alpha.

 

‘Hehe…’ Jeonghan swiftly got up and walked towards his closet, wondering what kind of provocative items was available. He didn’t remember owning one, since he never made such effort before. He should find the time to buy one. Not knowing any store nearby that sells them, Jeonghan got his phone out and searched for the most appropriate keywords, blushing as he imagined himself in such outfits. Maybe he can make Seungcheol wear it instea-

 

Knock knock.

 

Jeonghan jumped slightly at the sudden noise interrupting his erted quest. Quickly closing the website and throwing his phone in shame, he stood up straight and cleared his throat, as if there was somebody in the room who could see him. Predicting that the guest could be either Soonyoung or any of the volunteers, he opened the door.

 

‘Urm, hi.’ It was the junior, his eyes catching Jeonghan’s for a few milliseconds before shifting down to the ground. Trying to be as welcoming as possible, the senior greeted the other omega with his brightest tone, cringing inwardly at how fake he sounded. ‘I was uh, in the toilet.’

 

‘It’s fine.’ He reassured Soonyoung, now trying to remember the plan he had earlier to make the man talk. He did a mental play, trying to imagine how this would happen but when the younger male didn’t open the door, he deleted that important plan out of his memory. Owh god, the regret.

 

‘D-do you still, wanna talk?’ the kid hesitated, and Jeonghan smiled before noticing that the man couldn’t see him since he was still avoiding to look at his face.

 

‘Sure. Come in.’ He moved slightly towards the door hinge to make way for the man to enter. Again, seeing the slight fear that the other was trying to hide, Jeonghan asked, ‘Or we can talk outside, or your room. Wherever you want.’

 

‘Owh. Uhm, here was fine.’ Soonyoung answered and after pulling his hands in fists, braved himself to enter a stranger’s room.

 

‘We can leave the door open.’ Jeonghan suggested, now worried. He thought the fact that he was a fellow omega would actually make the other feel at ease but his action just now clearly showed that it didn’t matter. He was hurt by other omegas too.

 

. What had he gotten himself into?

 

Jeonghan inhaled deeply, trying to calm his nerves. He realized he might had bitten more than he could chew. But he did what he did, and now he had to get this done with. He just had to drink with Soonyoung, and listen to what he had to say. And if needs to, he would tell the man to got to therapy, if, of course, he was not yet in one.

 

Soonyoung was still standing with a confused look on his face. Jeonghan realized that he threw some of his clothes on the bed just now, making a mess. Walking quickly towards it, he pushed them to the side and offered the younger omega to seat, but then realized that it might have been a bad idea. Then he pulled his study chair towards the man and pointed to it. The choices just made the younger one caught in a dilemma.

 

‘Or we can sit on the floor? I clean it often…’ Jeonghan suggested, now also thinking that it was better. They could put the snacks on the floor and if drinks were to be spilled, he would still have a clean bed at the end of the day. Letting the junior decide where he was comfortable, Jeonghan went to the fridge and brought out two beers. And the banana milk.

 

‘Beer?’

 

‘Okay…’ Soonyoung looked reluctant so Jeonghan handed him the milk instead. But he put the beer in front of them, making sure to let the other know that he was welcomed to take it if he wanted too. ‘You don’t have to get drunk. There’s still another event tomorrow.’

 

‘Okay.’ Jeonghan cursed at himself inwardly, now starting to get annoyed at the few words spoken by the other. Owh, had he not been the one not invite the man in, he would have already left this guy to talk to someone more entertaining. Seriously, could he really get through this?

 

No, he shouldn’t think of it like this. The kid was scared because a senior singled him out. He probably thought he was getting bullied. To be safe, he should let the kid know that was not the case, ‘I’m not trying to get you to do anything. You can relax.’

 

‘Owh.’ Again, a short answer and yet, Soonyoung was still tensed. Not letting the natural behaviour get to him, Jeonghan opened the few snacks he had on the floor and offered it to the other, commenting on the flavour and telling him his favourite one, just to lighten the mood. Soonyoung took a few bites, his effort in trying to relax evident but it still looked forced.

 

‘Banana milk’s my friend’s favourite drink and it kinda became a thing for us.’ Jeonghan mentioned, just because. He wanted to talk about how it happened, but figured that the story was a bit inappropriate. Because, well, he was like a stalker and that would most likely scare Soonyoung away. But there was one thing relatable about his and Joshua’s story that might work to his advantage, ‘He was actually my facilitator last year. We talked and become friends.’

 

‘Cool.’

 

‘We can talk. You know, it’s my job to see if the juniors were having a hard time during orientation.’ There was a silence. Jeonghan realized that he just created an uncomfortable atmosphere, but hey, such talks were never not. Maybe. He was not a therapist; he didn’t have the skills to convince people to talk naturally. He could only push a little, hoping this would not open serious wounds.

 

‘I’m okay…’

 

‘Good. For me…’ Jeonghan decided to share his story instead. This was not personal for him because he had been telling it over and over again. He didn’t even have to remember what happened to him because it came out automatically, he could even do this in his sleep. If Soonyoung listened and decided to share his, it meant he succeeded in opening the kid up. If not, he would only be letting the man know that he understood whatever he wanted to say, if he wanted to share.

 

From the younger male’s expression, it seemed like Soonyoung wanted to say something. He was not sure whether it was to ask question about his life, or ask for advice as a senior, or just to excuse himself. But at least the man was trying, despite his hesitance being a bit irritating.

 

Jeonghan almost rolled his eyes when Soonyoung closed his mouth fully, clearly deciding not to talk. Well then, time to do his job as a facilitator. Maybe. He was not sure if confronting juniors was in his task scope. ‘The others were taking advantage of you. Why were you letting them?’

 

‘I-’ That seemed like the right trigger. Soonyoung looked at him, his very small eyes widen slightly to show his surprise. There was shame and shock, mixed with sadness in those eyes, making Jeonghan want to protect this man like he would his buddies in the shelter. But he couldn’t do so without knowing what happened, because he would be biased when he needed to be looking over everyone in his team. Urging the man to continue, he felt a slight pang in his heart.

 

‘I only want them to like me.’ Tears started flowing down Soonyoung’s eyes which he quickly wiped. He then took the beer, ask Jeonghan if he could have it to which the older agreed, and chugged the bitter alcohol. All the while, Jeonghan just let him do whatever he wanted, knowing that the confession itself was already hard for someone who had been keeping a lot to himself.

 

‘The whole village hated me so I never had friends. Not one. They hate me. I just wanna make friends.’ Ah geez, just listening to it like this made it seem like this kid was problematic in the first place. The whole village hated him? Must be a troublemaker. Urgh, he really regretted talking to this kid. Wait, maybe that was a bit harsh.

 

‘No one would want to be near me if they find out about my mom!’ Soonyoung let out, now fully crying his heart out, shocking the senior who was not expecting an emotional meltdown. And mother? Was he right about something happening at home?

 

Without Jeonghan having to ask though, Soonyoung continued, not caring anymore. He was clearly already drunk, having drink almost the whole can without Jeonghan noticing. This kid must have really low tolerance. ‘My mom’s an omega-lover. You know? Omega-omega relationship. She left my dad for another om

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter