Chapter 003

Start of Something New

After the scene in the Music Room, Yuri and Chaewon planned about their booth immediately. Yuri also informed Hyewon and others about her new friend and their mission. All of them have different reactions: Chaeyeon is very proud about Yuri, Minju is a little worried while Hyewon asked her if her parents already know about this. After a long conversation through phone, they all decided to just support their friend in whatever she will do.

The two went to the office so early in the morning to arrange the files they needed. Their music teacher, Ms. Seo-hyeon, was really happy about their plan to bring back the Club. After hours and hours of waiting, they were able to finish the requirements. The girls' plans to regain the Club's popularity made a buzz around the school. Yuri and Chaewon took this as a good sign and excitedly prepared for tomorrow.

Then, the day has come. The two girls arrived first in the school grounds to assemble their booth. They planned to conduct mini instrument classes after Yuri found out that Chaewon's family owns an instrument store. As time passed by, students slowly filled up the area. You can also see food karts anywhere you look. The booths are also opening one by one. The plain and boring school grounds started to become colorful.

When the clock struck at 8 o'clock, Club Day officially started. Because they're the last club to sign up, the location of their booth is literally in front of the Best Club last year: The Dance Club. An hour has passed, but no one even noticed their setup.

"Hey, don't worry. Let's wait for more. I'm sure many students will go and sign up here." Yuri tried to cheer up the other girl.

"Are you sure about that? Yuri, what if we're just dreaming? What if we're just wasting our time? What if-"

"Enough with the what ifs', Chaewon." Yuri took a bunch of papers from their desk. "You know what, just distribute these leaflets..."

"No, I can't! You should do it!"

"Why me?" 

"You know how I stutter in front of strangers. I can't answer them properly if ever they have questions. It might affect our Club." Chaewon explained. yuri quickly understood the pink-haired girl's point. "Don't worry, Yuri. I'll never leave our booth if ever someone wants to sign up."

Yuri bid goodbye to Chaewon and immediately set off. She decided to go to the opposite side of the event, the area farthest to their booth. When she arrived there, she can clearly saw the booth of the Gaming, Science and Art Club. 

She sat on a bench while thinking of where to start when her attention was caught by someone. It's a girl wearing a black crop top and a black leather jacket. Her arms are crossed and for Yuri, the girl looks so chic. Then, the girl suddenly pouted her lips which made her look like a duck. Yuri chuckled a little because of the sudden gesture.

She then remembered the reason why she went there and continued giving the handouts to every student she met, hoping that they will at least read it. she was about to turn around when she accidentally bumped with three girls, causing the drink of the girl in the center to spill in her dress. The girl screamed which caught the attention of the other students nearby. 

"What the hell do you think you're doing?!?" The girl's friend fumed.

"I-I'm really sorry," Yuri tried to wipe the dress with her handkerchief. This gesture made the girl even madder and she pushed Yuri.

"What's the purpose of your sorry? I'm already soaked with soda! What is this even?!?" The girl said, grabbing the fliers from Yuri's hands and reading it.

"Music Club? Ah, so you're one of the losers who tried to build that stupid association back! Well, let me tell you this. You're just wasting your not so precious time!" The girl's other friend scoffed. "And what is this? Instrument Classes? That's ridiculous! Your club is the epitome of boring so who would even bother to check it out?"

At this moment, Yuri just wanted to disappear. She looked down due to embarrassment.

"I'd check it out."

Yuri shot her head up only to see the girl she saw a while ago behind the three girls. She can also see how the girls who mocked her Club became scaredy cats once they saw who the voice is coming from. The lady in ponytail went beside Yuri.

"Why? I personally think that instruments, music, and stuff like that are cool. Also, I don't think there's a boring Club, it's just that we have different tastes and style. You not liking it doesn't give you the rights to say such words about the association." The girl explained. "Oh! I almost forgot... We only give these to the deserving ones, so I guess I need to take it back from you three." The gal said before taking the black wristbands with the 'Gaming Club' written off the girls' wrists.

"Have a fun day, girls." The lady said before holding Yuri by the hand and pulling her out of the scene. Yuri doesn't know why she agreed to ran with the girl but she just went with the flow.

"Are you alright, Yuri?" The girl asked, looking at her with worried eyes.

"Y-Yes, I'm f-fine." Yuri stuttered. Stop stuttering for God's sake, she thought to herself. "Wait, how'd you know my name?"

"It's in your name tag?" the girl replied. 

"Oh, right..." Yuri said shyly. "By the way, thanks for saving me."

"That's nothing. The first time I saw those girls in our booth, I already knew they're bad news." The girl replied. "I guess I gotta go-"

"Wait!" Yuri stopped her. "I would like to repay you. How about getting cheese hotdog? My treat."

"Are you sure-"

"Please. I insist."

"Well, I'm just asking you if you're sure because I won't say no." The lady said that made Yuri laugh.

************  

"Do you really meant what you said?" Yuri wondered. 

"About what?" The girl asked, biting her cheese hotdog after.

"About the Music Club."

"Oh, the cool stuff part? Of course, I do." The girl replied. "I tried to learn to play the guitar when I was a kid. It was really hard, actually. That's when I realized that being a musician is never easy. Unfortunately, I didn't become that good. But at least it practiced my fingers to coordinate with my brain. I didn't know that I'll need it before. You know... as a gamer." 

"Right, you're on the Gaming Club," Yuri said, grabbing a bite, finishing her food.

"Um..." The girl said, trying to say something.

"Huh? What-" Yuri was surprised when she felt the stranger's thumb on the side of her lips. She froze for a second.

"Sorry... You have some crumbs so I'm just wiping it off." The gal explained.

"N-No problem." Yuri tried to keep her chill but the truth is, she's feeling butterflies in her stomach.

"Hey Ducky!" Yuri turned her head along with Yena to see the owner of the voice. A blonde girl came running to their direction.

"You stubborn duck!" The girl said, pulling Yena by the ear as soon as she got near. "I told you to accommodate members, not to go and have fun! Why did you leave-"

"Ya! Stop, Sakura! It hurts!" the girl shrugged her off. "And for your information, I didn't just have fun. I have my reasons why I left, Kkura."

"Well, whatever your reason is, explain it to me later. For now, we really need to go back to the booth." The girl then ran, expecting ducky to follow. but instead, she just walked.

"Wait!" Yuri yelled when she remembered something. "I... I don't know your name."

The girl let out a hearty laugh.

"Really? You don't know me?" 

Do I have to? Yuri thought.

.

.

.

.

"Room 2-3. Yena, Choi Yena." The girl said, winking to Yuri before running to catch the blonde girl's pace.

Yuri swore she almost fell from her seat.