Chapter 002

Start of Something New

It has been a week since Yuri entered Enozi Multi-Arts High. Fortunately, nothing has happened to her yet. As time goes by, she became familiar with the school. She also became close to Hyewon's friends, especially Minju. 

To be honest, Yuri doesn't know why they clicked, maybe because they share the same traits. They're both clumsy, both like the same food and subject. They also like teasing Hyewon, that's why they always end up teaming against her. To Yuri, Minju's the sister she never had. Jae-hyuk and his friends still bother Minju. But unlike before, Yuri's always by her side, so they can't corner her. And Minju's really thankful for that.

"Hi guys," Chaeyeon said, sitting beside the usual gang on the school's bleachers. It's already dismissal time but they've decided to stay for another hour to have a chit chat.

"Hey... Why are you late?" Hyewon asked.

"Nothing. I just have to fix some stuff regarding the Dance Club. Being the top club last year is pressuring." 

"Oh, gosh! I totally forgot about Club Day! Wait... When is it again?" Minju asked.

"The day after tomorrow," Chae replied. "It's really getting near so you should already decide which club you're in."

Hyewon and Minju nodded as a response to Chaeyeon and looked at the sky as if thinking. Meanwhile, Yuri is clueless about everything they're talking about so she just continued consuming her sandwich. 

Minju sat properly, "Well, I'm thinking... Maybe Math Club isn't that bad."

Her three pals just laughed at her reply. 

"Said the girl who pleaded the school staffs to attend Math Lecture with me so that she can pass." Kwangbae exposed Minju. The latter just punch her playfully. "Welp, I still haven't decided mine."

"How 'bout you, Yuri?"

"I... I don't know. I haven't seen the posters on the bulletin board yet." Yuri replied. "But what is Enozi's Club Day like? Is it fun? Or boring?"

Chaeyeon thought for a long time before answering Yuri.

"Well... It depends. During that day, every Club has booths. It's like a mini fun fair." Chaeyeon explained.

"So, tell us Ms. President of Dance club... What's your booth's concept?" Minju asked in a curious tone.

"That's... actually the reason why I'm late. I'm... I'm going to the Literature Club." The dancing machine said that surprised her friends.

"What?!? But you love dancing so much! Why are you leaving it? And for Literature Club? Do you even read-" 

"Yes, I love dancing so much! But... I love Eunbi more. As you all know, she will graduate after this year so she can't assist her sister in handling the club anymore. She told me how Wonyoung really loves the Lit Club, that's why even though it's a bit difficult to lead, she'll still do it. Eun's worried that her sister might stress herself so much." Chae explained. Her squad seemed to understand her situation.

"You're world really is revolving around Kwon now, huh?" Hyewon smirked, seeing how head over heels her friend is to the older girl.

"She is my world, Hyewon." Chae sweetly stated.

"Gosh, stop! I don't need to hear your cheesy lines, Chae." Minju cringed.

"Ya! Just say that you're bitter and leave!" Chaeyeon and Hyewon laughed.

"Speaking of, my Mom's already calling me. She's waiting outside." Minju stood up after she put on her backpack. "I need to go now because I still have to deliver these poems to the Music Room."

"You can go, Minju. I'll do it." Yuri volunteered. 

"No need Yuri... I can do it by myself-"

"Just let me. Besides, you don't want your Mom to scold you for taking so long, right?" Yuri insisted, now holding another set of poems Minju wrote.

"Are you sure it's okay? your Mom might also be waiting for you."

"No, she already texted me. She said to just take the train home. And don't worry. I'll be just fine."

  

Yuri decided to set off after she made sure that her friends are already outside the campus. When she arrived there, she's suspicious as to why the post is a bit open. She can also hear the piano playing. It sent down shivers down her spine because she knew that nobody uses the Music Room anymore.

Curiosity sparked in her so she chooses to take a peak on the room's window. She was relieved when she saw a pink - haired girl inside the Music Room. The gal's not only playing, but she's also singing. Yuri was so amazed by the girl's unique voice, she didn't notice that she's already walking towards the door.

Being the Jo Yuri she is, her clumsiness created a loud noise when she crashed with the door which startled the lady playing and made her stood up from her seat.

"Oh, I'm so sorry... I didn't mean to surprise you or anything." Yuri said, walking closer to the girl. "I'm Jo Yuri, by the way." 

"N-No, Y-you don't have t-to say sorry. I-I'm just s-surprised." The girl stuttered. "M-My name's C-Chaewon, K-Kim Chaewon."

Silence took over the place for a good second. 

"Umm, Can I?" Yuri asked, pointing at the piano. Chaewon just nodded. Yuri sat in front of the piano. She found the piece she heard a while ago and started playing the notes written on a sheet.

"You can play the piano?" The girl said with an amused tone. Yuri nodded. 

"I play the piano ever since I'm at the age of nine. Then, I studied reading notes in order to be a better pianist." Yuri explained to the stranger.

[for this part, I highly recommend listening to Yuri and Chaewon's short cover of 15&'s Rain and Cry. It's basically my inspiration for this chapter. Thank you :)]

Yuri started to play the intro for the song. As if by instinct, Chaewon started to sing. Her shy, sweet voice filled the entire room and Yuri was again left in awe. But still, she focused on playing the piano to give justice to the song. She also kept her promise to catch the tune.

This time, it's the Chaewon's turn to be shocked. She didn't expect Yuri's raspy voice to suit the song. She didn't expect her to sing that well, the least. In the middle of their performance, Yuri also managed to smoothly harmonize with the other girl. They ended the song so perfectly that they must have had a standing ovation if only there's a crowd.

"...Wow. I didn't expect you to sing that well." Chaewon said with a smile. Yuri was surprised that the girl stopped stuttering.

"Thanks for the compliment, but it's all because of you. By the way, this is a masterpiece. Did you wrote it?"

"Only the notes. The lyrics are from the poems outside." the other gal explained.

"Ah, that's why the post is open," Yuri said, analyzing everything that has happened. "Music is so much fun, right?"

"Really?" Chaewon said that earned a confused look from the other girl

"I-I don't mean it in a bad way! I'm just... glad that there are still students like you."

"Huh? Why do mean?" Yuri asked.

"Well, I just transferred here. I went to Enozi because I thought that Music is their top priority. But then, I found out that almost all the students lost their interest in music. It's disappointing, really, considering that we're a Multi-Arts High." Chaewon said before sitting next to Yuri.

"When I asked for Ms. Seo-hyeon for the key of the Music Room, she's really happy to know that someone still cares. Would you believe that this room was once filled with the Music Club's members? They're just playing instruments, singing, jamming together. It was fun and all. Not until other clubs are formed." Chaewon said, reminiscing what her Music teacher has told her. 

"The Gaming Club and the Dance Club attracted many students. And this room that was once filled with joy suddenly turns to grey. This piano," Chaewon said, tapping the top of the instrument lightly. "Ms. Seo-hyeon said that this piano is actually a project of the club. Its original location is in the cafeteria. That way, it can be played by anyone. But after two years, the dean decided that the piano should be kept here since no one even noticed it. It's better to hide and preserve it, rather than be covered with dust." 

Yuri was speechless after everything Chaewon has told her. As a co-musician, she can feel how sad it must be for Chaewon to see her passion not given enough attention it deserves. Her mind went blank, not until an imaginary light bulb lit above her head.

"I know what you're feeling right now, Chaewon. And even though we just met today, something connected us: Music. We can do something about this. Something that can change everything. We can build the Music Club back. We can make this great again." Yuri urged. 

Silence took over the place. 

"I-I don't know, Yuri. W-What if we can't do it?"

"Well, what if we can? There are more white keys than the black ones. No matter how hard it is, the possibility of us gaining success is still higher" Yuri replied. "So, what do you think?"

.

.

.

.

"I'm in."