Chapter 018

Start of Something New

"I thought you didn't like this place."

Sakura gasped when a voice suddenly spoke. She turned her back a little bit but the girl decided to not make her suffer and just casually sat beside her.

"You told me once that this place is full of people..." She looked into her eyes. "And all of them are hella annoying."

Hyewon scrunched up her eyebrows and tried to make a funny face as best as she could. 

"W-What are you doing here?" Kkura asked.

"Well, first of all," Kwangbae started. "I would like to congratulate you. Your intelligence really is no joke."

 

"Hyewon, I got Top 3!"

"No way... there's no way," Kwangbae said, trying her best to look into the papers posted on the bulletin board. 

Both Minju and the girl rushed to the front of Dean's office to saw the students with the highest rankings for the year. And guess what? Hyewon's sweat wouldn't go to waste.

3. Jo Yuri.

"You're on the top 3, Hamster! I'm so proud!!" Kwangbae screamed while hugging her cousin, causing Yuri to laugh. 

"Yah! Why do you act like you're the one who got that? Look at you," the hamster said, pointing out Hyewon's teary eyes. "You're crying and I'm not. Seriously, are you my parents?"

"Sorry, Yyul... I'm just overwhelmed."

"Just kidding! But wait, shouldn't you also celebrate? I mean, Top 8 is also a good spot!"

"I know, right?" Hyewon tried to regain her image by showing her smug face. "You ranked higher than me but everyone in our family and friends knows that I'm still the smarter one... Like that's fixed."

"Wha- How-"

"Guys, you have seen Kkura?" The duck asked, panting and holding on to her knees for support.

"Haven't noticed. Why?" Hyewon asked.

"Well, I-I need to talk to her." Yena stammered. 

"W-What's the problem?"

"No time to explain, Joyyul. She's probably having a breakdown at this moment and might do something she will regret later."

"Wait, are you sure?"

"I'm literally accurate. I know my best friend, she can't think straight when she's troubled." Yena replied. "Sorry but I have to go. If ever you come across her, just text me-"

"I'll help you find her. I'll try looking on the west part." Hyewon said. "Yuri, go find Minju. Pretty sure she's with the other girls. I'll be back."

And the two set out to find the Gaming Club President.

 

"Placing in Top 2 is not easy. It's a pretty high ranking."

"But not high enough."

"What did you say?"

"Nothing," Sakura answered shortly. Hyewon lightly shook her head. She held the other girl's hand and that made Sakura look at her in the eyes.

"I know that there's a problem. What is it?"

The president remained speechless.

"Too personal? I see," Hyewon seemed to understand. "I'll just call Yena then. Maybe she can-"

"No! Please don't!" Kkura stopped her from reaching her pockets.

"Why??" Hyewon asked. "Sakura, she's the only one I know that's close to you. I can't just leave you alone-"

"She will just scold me and command me to go home!" Sakura replied, almost begging. "I need someone to listen, Hye. So please, anyone but her."

"Anyone but her?" Hyewon repeated the girl's last statement. She looked up at the sky and made eye contact once more. "People told me that I'm a good listener. Maybe I can now find out if it's true."

Sakura just looked at her, not knowing if she'll agree.

"Don't worry, Kkura. Nothing's going out. Your secret will be safe with me." Kwangbae reassured. "Also, I'm not one of those judgemental people out there. Like I promise to you a while ago, I'll listen."

The Gaming Club President is still hesitating but something about Hye's eyes and words made her feel comfortable. She took a deep breath before starting her story.

"I'm... I'm just scared, Hyewon."

"Scared? Why?"

"You see, my parents... aren't like yours or anyone else's. Not understanding, not hands-on, and definitely not easily satisfied. You might say that I'm being a bad daughter now... Like how can I say that to my parents? But believe me, I'm telling the truth."

"They're often labeled as the role model parents. In magazines and newspapers, many people inspired to be like them, to be able to pay for their kid's basic necessities and interests. But in reality, they can't even give me the things that I really need... Time, attention, and the sentence 'I'm so proud of you.'"

Hyewon is listening to every word that comes out of Sakura's mouth.

"Nako... She's been a rival ever since the first year of Middle school. She's the daughter of a freelance artist, which makes it worse. My Dad raged, saying that I can't just lose to a 'worthless human's offspring. He said that I have to be number one, no matter what it takes. He slipped into my mind that the only way to make someone be proud of you and for someone to choose you is to be on the top."

"But ever since I became a part of this group, I realized that Nako isn't actually an enemy. Just like me, She's a girl that is also doing her best to make her parents proud. But my Mom didn't think of it that way... She told me to stay away from Nako and you other girls for you are a bad influence for me." Sakura said, breathing heavily. "I'm not sad because I just got second place. I'm scared that my mother will do something to you and the other girls, particularly Nako."

Kwangbae nodded, still analyzing everything. Power and money really do make a change, she thought to herself.

"Do you hate me now?" Sakura asked, fidgeting. 

"Why would I be?" Hyewon replied with another question. She let go of Sakura's hand she's been holding for a while. "Sakura... Have you had a diary before?"

"What?"

"Just answer me."

"Y-Yes," Sakura replied. "Yes, of course."

Hyewon leaned her back against the chair. 

"When we were writing in our diaries, it often includes other people and different places, right? But no matter how many people are mentioned and no matter how many times you wrote their names, your diary is and will always be about one person... You."

Kwangbae took Kkura's hand again. But this time, she held it with both her hands. "Sakura, they shouldn't force you into doing something. This is your life, and you're the one in charge of it. I understand what you're feeling... because I have also experienced it before."

"When I was still Byung Soon's target, I felt like I'm locked up in a cage. I can't tell my parents and friends, I can't cry, I can't let them know... I need to hide the pain beneath my smiles. I did all of that because I thought that it's better to just follow. But now I realized, I should have fought. I didn't think that letting her ruin my life means she will also destroy my family's. That was my biggest regret... And I don't want you to undergo the same pain."

"I'm not saying you should lash out at your parents, they're still your family. But what I wanted you to do... is to at least speak up. Make them understand your point of view without you saying anything offensive."

"There's no point in trying-"

"There is, Kkura," Hyewon uttered. "Telling yourself that you did everything you can is a big deal. And who knows? Maybe... you'll change them."

Sakura stayed silent for a minute.

"I-I'll try." Kwangbae grinned at the girl's reply.

"Now that's the president I know."

Sakura gave her a shy smile.

"I-I know that it must be hard for you to recall your story, but I want you to know that it helped me a lot, along with your good advice. Thank you."

"That's nothing. Also, I want to say that your father is lying. Ranking down doesn't give you less of talent and intelligence. You are special no matter what place you're in." Hyewon said. "You don't need to be number one for someone to choose you... Look at me, I already did."

Kwangbae expected Sakura to be shocked but the gal just rolled her eyes.

"Of course you'll say that." Kkura snickered. "You have a crush on me."

Hyewon was surprised to hear the lass bluntly say that. Since when did the girl had confidence?

"H-How did you-"

"Yena told me after the mini-concert for the Music Club. She said she heard you and Yuri talking. Also, it's kinda obvious... I always caught you staring or smiling at me. Honestly, if only I didn't know you, I will think you're a ert or something."

"O-Oh," is the only thing Hyewon can reply. "A-Am I an obvious gay then?"

That last statement made Sakura produce a furious laugh, something that Hyewon hasn't heard before. She was actually serious on asking her but she's proud at herself for making the gaming president smile.

"S-Sorry for the laugh, you're... just too funny," Sakura said, wiping her tears. She was just crying because of her problem a while ago but thanks to the other girl, she's able to bounce back.

The moment died and the two looked at each other. The atmosphere suddenly became warm and fuzzy.

"So umm," Hyewon scratched the back of her neck. "Will this mean that everything won't go back to the way it used to be?

"I... think so," Sakura shyly nodded. "It'll be different from now on...

.

.

.

.

"Very different."

***********

"Sakura!" Yena worriedly yelled. She ran towards the girl and hug her, much to the other group members surprise. They rarely show affection towards each other.

"Yah! Don't cry..." Sakura teased. 

"Who told you that you can just walk out and not talk to me about anything?!? If you're going to do that then it's better for you to just go home!" 

Sakura leaned towards Hyewon's ear. "Told you she'll just scold me."

"You didn't have to worry about me so much, I'm okay. Actually, I feel better. Maybe because I have a good listener right here." Kkura tapped Hyewon's back. She turned around a saw a small figure beside Wonyoung.

"Nako, I just... want to congratulate you for being 1st place. I know that you really deserve it." Sakura mumbled. "I'm also sorry if I get a little competitive during competitions and stuff like that."

"Is Miyawaki Sakura apologizing to me??" Nako acted surprised. She then pulled Sakura into a hug which is something the girl didn't expect.

"I should feel honored then." The small girl ended. That time, the gaming president returned the embrace.

"Just a question, we're still rivals for next year, right?"

Nako released Sakura from the hug.

"Game on." 

Both smirked at each other after they shared a conversation that only the two of them know.

"Looks like my cousin already has a girlfriend," Yuri whispered, pointing Hyewon's hands on Sakura's waist.

"You jealous?" Yena asked. "I'm here, you know."

The hamster just looked at her and released a 'tch' when in reality, her stomach is now full of butterflies.

"Now that we're finally done with school stuff and just waiting for the recognition day, we can finally have some fun!" Wonyoung screamed. 

"Speaking of, you guys want to chill at my house?" Chae invited while looking directly at Hitomi. "I mean we can celebrate about today and we can just tell each other... Things."

"Sorry, guys, but Yuri and I can't... We're going on a date." Yena replied, putting an arm over Yuri's shoulders.

"So you two are officially going out?"

The duck looked at the hamster, waiting for an answer. 

"Well, you can say that," Yuri replied, making Yena grin. "We're really sorry guys... We'll just catch up next time."

"Okay then..." Chae understood. Only the two was left after their friends set off.

"I didn't tell you earlier but we're going to an amusement park... I don't know if you-"

"Really?!?" Yuri yelped in excitement. "I love amusement parks, Yena!

"S-Shall we start our journey, then?" 

They're about to walk towards the car when: 

"Wait... Please promise me one thing," Yuri requested. "No more any sort of nuts, okay?"

Yena gave her a faint smile. "I promise...

.

.

"No more."

************

"Hello, Mr. Lee!" The group greeted Chae's father through the phone. 

"Hi, ladies..." Mr. Lee waved. "Are you guys celebrating? Sorry, I'm still stuck in traffic, your mom is still in her office. But don't worry, as soon as we get home, we can have a little chit chat... especially with you, Eunbi sweetheart."

Kwon slight bowed. Chaeyeon's parents know about their relationship and just like the ideal parents we had in mind, they're very supportive. 

"Chaeyeon is a really kind sister to me, Sir. You raised her well," Wonyoung said, glancing at the couple. She accepted the two right after she found out, she just used the opportunity to trick her sister. "Also, Mr. Lee, may I ask? What's the brand of this grape juice? It's soooo good."

"What grape juice?"

"This one," Minju chimed in, handing the container of the juice. "Mr. Lee, it's so tasty-"

"Where did you get that?!?" Mr. Lee stammered. "Girls, that's not a grape juice. That's... wine."

All twelve are so surprised they looked at the glass they've been holding the entire time.

"Dad, I'm so sorry... I don't know-"

"It's okay, Chaeyeon. Mistakes happen... Stop drinking now that you know. I don't want your parents to blame me if you go home drunk. All of you are still underage." Mr. Lee adviced. "Also, do me a favor. Don't tell your Mom, okay? Sorry, but I have to go... Bye, kids!"

And the call ended. 

"W-Wow, that escalated quickly," Hyewon said. "So that's the reason why I'm getting dizzy. It's my first time drinking, you know."

"Hye, you just took one shot."

"Yeah... One full cup, not even a shot glass." Kwangbae fixed her hair and stopped midway when she realized something. "C-Chaewon took 3 cups by now, right?"

The girl turned their heads to see if Chaewon is still okay. Surprisingly, she looked sober.

"This girl, on the other hand, haven't drink any." Yujin ruffled Hitomi's hair. 

"I'm not even planning to now that I found out. No one will help you guys know where the bathroom is if I drink-"

"Or... or," Chaewon cut off Hitomi's sentence. "She's got something to say."

The room fell silent. 

"I think she does." Chaeyeon agreed at the musician's statement. "Listen first, guys."

They all looked at Hiichan. The girl took a deep gulp.

"Y'all know that my family is in Japan, right?" Hitomi started. "They want me to stay with them. I'm going home."

The girls covered their mouth in shock. Hii looked down, not wanting to see their reactions. 

"Everything is final already. I'm leaving three days from now."

.

.

"Okay... go."

Another statement shocked the squad. 

"What is that, Chaewon?" Minju made her repeat her sentence, wishing that what she heard is wrong.

"I said she can just go." Chaewon casually replied. "Should that be a big deal?"

She took another sip of wine from her cup but Chaeyeon grabbed it from her. She even threw it to the ground, spilling all contents. Yujin, Eunbi, and Hyewon stood up to stop Chae from attacking the other Chae. 

"What's your-"

"What's your problem?!?" Chae shouted. "I thought your Hitomi's best friend?!? Why are you saying that nonsense? You don't know how painful this is for her so shut the up!"

"Whatever... If you don't like me here, then I'll go!" Chaewon picked up her things and headed towards the door.

Hitomi decided to follow her.

"Chaewon... Chaewon, wait-" 

"Let me go!" The musician shakes Hitomi's hands off her arms.

"Don't leave... You're drunk-"

"I'm not, so let me go!"

"No, Chaewon, you don't understand-"

"Don't you think this is too ironic?" the music club's president let out a low chuckle. "You telling me to stop from leaving... Did I said a word even if I already know this for a long time?"

Hitomi froze on her spot. 

"You're shocked? Yes, Honda Hitomi! What you heard was right!" Chaewon admitted. "Remember when we talked in front of the office? You left your letter for transfer so the lady on the... on the booth asked me to give it to you. I tried to find you and I saw you with Chae inside the Gym. Then I heard your conversation. And... Ta-da!" 

Chaewon explained, the alcohol clearly intoxicating her. 

"D-Did you heard everything?" Hitomi asked, nervous if Chaewon heard her confessing.

"Nah... I left when Chaeyeon told me you had a flight back to your home. Why? Is there anything I don't know yet? C 'mon, tell me!"

"T-That's the most important part, Chaewon... I-I told Chae the I lo-"

"That you lied to me? Oh, you sure did-"

"No, please let me finish my-"

"I don't need more explanation!!" Chaewon suddenly burst in tears. "You lie to me and that's the point!! I've asked you a hundred times because I want to have a talk, you and me... I want to know your reason for leaving... but how can I do that if you kept on declining?!? You don't know how painful it is when you lie to me every damn time!!"

Chaewon threw her bag to the floor. She tugged her hair so hard due to the stress she's feeling. 

"C-Chaewon, please-" Hitomi tried to enclose her into an embrace. 

"No! Get off me!" She pushed Hitomi. 

"I'll explain everything! I'll give all the answers to your questions... Just let me talk to you-"

"I don't need it anymore!!" Chaewon screamed, her voice so agonizing that Hitomi also started to cry. "You'll leave us and you lied to me... That's it. Too late for your reasons because I. Don't. Care. Anymore. Do you want to leave? Then leave! Go... Just go!"

Chaewon pointed out the gate. She even tried to pull Hitomi towards it but is interrupted by a loud honk. Next thing they knew, Wonyoung is already running to them. 

"Your bag," The girl handed the musician's belongings. "I know that it's a tiring day for the two of you... and you both need some time to rest. Eunbi unnie already called our driver, he's waiting outside. He'll send you home, Chaewon. Don't worry, Hitomi... She'll be safe." 

The musician coldly wore her backpack and walked away. But before she went outside, she turned her back once more to face the cheerleader.

"You lied to me and you're about to leave me. If only I knew that you'll hurt me twice..."

.

.

.

.

.

"I should not have accepted that VIP ticket."

************

"Chae, calm down... It's already over." Eunbi tried to soothe her girlfriend. 

"Sorry if I became violent. I just can't believe that she said those words. It very... unlike her. The Kim Chaewon I know wouldn't make Hitomi cry, she'll understand. But what happened to that ever-calm girl? Why did she suddenly lash out?"

After Chaewon's last statement, Hiichan dropped on her knees and bawled. Wonyoung saw her when she came back and asked for help to bring her in. They found out that she's having an asthma attack due to so much crying. Good thing that Chaeyeon has a nebulizer in her Mom's room. They let Hitomi rest on Chae's bed, with Wonyoung, Nako, and Sakura with her. Minju and Hyewon, on the other hand, went to the nearest pharmacy.

"People change when they're in pain, Chae," Yujin said. "It's like a defense mechanism."

"Like how Minju avoided you before?"

"Yes, something like that. But you see, Minju is not like that anymore. Just give the girl some rest and the old Chaewon will be back in no time."

Eunbi and Chaeyeon nodded. They are in the living room, waiting for Chae's parents to explain what happened. Suddenly, Yujin's phone received a notification.

"Who's that?" Kwon asked, looking at the unknown number on the phone screen.

"I don't have a clue." She opened the message and is shocked to see what's inside. It's a picture of Yuri and Yena, all tied up, with scars and bruises. She checked for the caption.

 

Long time no see, Yujin. Looks like my guests today are close friends of yours... 

Let's meet tomorrow, I'll give you the time and place. you better not call police or else... I won't be having second thoughts on killing these girls. I know that my Minju will be mad about me killing her best friend Yuri but I can just blame that to you. 

See you, Ahn.

 

Yujin felt like throwing her phone but she knows that it's the only way to contact the guy. 

"Is this who I think-"

"He's taking revenge..." The tall girl whispered.

"Will he ever stop?!?" Chae worriedly asked. "What's your plan?" 

"Hyewon and Sakura can't know this, for sure they'll freak out." Kwon reminded.

"You're right... This has to be a secret." She looked at her phone again. "He wants to fight? I'll give him a fight, but I need your help..."

.

.

.

.

"It's time to end this now."

************

Hi there! Thanks for reading this very long update (to make up for the short one last time XD)

Here are the teasers:

Teaser #1:

"I won't forgive you if something bad happens to Yujin! Put that in your mind, Kim Minju!"

Teaser #2:

"Yujin, no! Wake up, Yujinie!!" 

 

Please look forward to more chapters~