Chapter 016

Start of Something New

"Waiting for Hyewon?"

Yujin startled when someone spoke behind her, but even more, shocked when she recognized who it is.

"Minju!" The tall girl blurted. The other gal was hugging two books and a bunch of folders. Yujin immediately stood up from her seat and helped Minju put her things unto the table. 

"T-Thanks... Umm, so am I correct? Are you waiting for Hyewon?" 

"I do, actually," Yujin replied. "You know that I can't enter an examination room without getting help for Math." 

Enozi is known for holding their Finals right after the short Christmas vacation. Many students came early for the first day of exams. Some went to the library, others went straight in front of their designated exam room, while some went to the cafeteria, just like Yujin and Minju.

"How 'bout you? Wait, lemme guess," Yujin said. "Are you here to buy your 'lucky food'?"

"You still remember about that..."

"Of course, I do. Every exam day, you buy the food that you craves for and eat it just right before the professor enter the room." Yujin recalled. "It's like the most rebellious thing you did the entire school year last year... eating inside the classroom." 

"That just shows how obedient I am as a student." Minju reasoned out. She then remembered something. "Wait, Hyewon called while I'm on my way here and told me that she'll be a little late since there's a road repair in their street."

"Really? She hasn't told me that..." Yujin mumbled. "If that's the case, guess I'll just find someone who can teach me."

"And who might that be?" Minju asked.

"Well," Yujin thought for a while. "Wonyoung... got a perfect score on her Math exam last quarter. Truth be told, I don't really want to disturb her but I don't have any choice."

The girl then put her knapsack on her back.

"I guess I have to go-"

"Why would you even go to her when I'm already here?"

Yujin froze. She doesn't know how to react to the girl's statement.

"W-What did you say?"

"What I mean is, why would you even disturb Wonyoung when I can teach you myself? Have you already forgotten who taught you last Finals?"

Minju then sat and opened one of her books. 

"Why are you still standing? I thought you want to review," The other girl then held Yujin's arm and pulled her to sit beside her.

The tall girl is shocked in all aspects. She didn't expect that this scenario will happen again.

"T-Thank you Minju but... you don't have to do this. I know that it will also be awkward for you-"

"Remember what you told me last time that we talked? You said that we're still friends. And I want to help my friends to pass. Besides, it's also a way of reviewing myself." Minju explained. "Let's just start, shall we?"

Yujin just nodded as an answer. 

"Here... Chapter 1.1..."

Yujin is supposed to listen to everything the other girl is talking about, but how can she do it if something as beautiful as Minju is in front of her? She can't help but remember the old times.

 

"Yujinie!"

"I'm sorry... What are you saying?" Yujin was caught off guard.

"Yah... Are you even listening?" Minju said, trying to sound mad. "You're out of focus."

"You can't blame me though," Yujin said. "You're too mesmerizing."

Minju playfully rolled her eyes.

"Now is not the time for your cheesy lines, Yujin. It's just 30 minutes before the Finals. I'm just worried about you..."

"Don't worry, I understand your point of view... But it's so boring to read and write. I'm getting sleepy." Yujin explained. "How about we make this fun? A deal, maybe? If I pass five of my subjects, I get the chance to take you out, anywhere that I like."

Minju thought about the offer for a long time.

"Fine... But you know how no fun I am. You might just waste your time."

"What are you even saying?" Yujin asked. "Minguri..."

.

.

.

.

"The time I spent with you is worth every second."

 

"That's how you get the X, it's subtraction, not addition. Did you get-" Minju looked at her 'student' and she already forgot what she's going to say. Yujin's face is so close to hers that she felt like being hypnotized. They stared at each other for a long time, not minding the students at the other tables.

"Minguri..." Yujin whispered. "Do-"

"AHN DAENG DAENG!!!"

The two quickly moved away from each other like they've been electrified. Kwangbae immediately ran into the tall girl's table.

"I'm really sorry, I-" Hyewon stopped in the middle of her sentence when she saw the other gal. "What are you doing here, Minju?" 

"I-I just passed by and saw Yujin. She told me that you're supposed to review her." The gal explained. She then closed the book in front of her. "Umm, speaking of, I-I better go now... I might disturb you two. Also, I still need to buy myself a tuna sandwich... Bye for now, guys."

And Minju ran away, not even waiting for the others to bid their goodbye. Hyewon looked at Yujin and saw how her face dropped. She smirked and sat beside the tall lass. Kwangbae playfully bumped Yujin and wiggled her eyebrows.

"Nothing happened, believe it or not." The runner said in a monotone.

"Oh, really?" Hyewon teased. "I thought you already kissed and made up."

Yujin just gave her a death glare and Kwangbae quickly raised her hand to surrender. She then opened the book she brought straight from the library.

"By the way, we have a group study at the milk tea shop on the next street. Just in case you want to join in..."

Silence.

"Is... Is Minju going?"

"Of course, she will," Hyewon replied. "That girl's weakness aside from Math is English. She will need major help."

A small smile formed in Yujin's lips.

"Okay then... I'll go."

Hyewon tried to examine her face.

"You're not really going for the review part, right?" She questioned. "Yah... What's your plan?"

"Well," Yujin said, finding it hard to explain. "It has already been months since Minju and I last talked about us. Thankfully, we're starting to get comfortable to each other again. And now, I'm thinking that maybe, just maybe...

.

.

.

.

"I can already make a move."

************

"Stop the car, I'm getting off-"

"No, continue driving-"

"I said stop!" Sakura yelled at the chauffeur but he acted like he hasn't heard anything. She averted her gaze to the person on the passenger seat. "Yena, let me get off this goddamn car-"

"No, I won't let you," Yena said with conviction. 

"You really want my Mom to lock me up, huh?" Sakura barked out. "It's easy for you to say that I should join this group study because you haven't seen my Mom's face when she found out that I'm hanging out with her. So please, please, I'm out of this. I'm going home-"

"You can't go home!" Yena commanded. "I-I need someone to be with me. You know my Dad's rules, I can't go out without you or any friend he knows with me. And obviously, you're the only friend of mine that he knows-"

"Don't even try to fool me, Yena," Sakura claimed. "For all I knew, you just need me because you can't talk to Yuri after what happened-"

"Can we not talk about it?" The duck requested. She then let out a deep sigh. "Believe it or not, I'm also worried about you. I-Is this what you really want, Kkura? To be bound by our golden chains? I know that you're just a nice person restricted by the unnecessary boundaries set around you. Don't isolate yourself from the world just because of your Mom's orders."

The other girl released a small 'tch', crossed her arms and looked outside.

"You're just saying that because your parents aren't as strict as mine," Sakura said in a low tone. "And also, am I the only one isolating herself? You, too, right? You've told me before that you don't socialize because 'people are toxic'. Don't tell me what to do when we're just the same-" 

"Am I kidding, tho? Most people are, right? But the thing is... I already found some real ones." The car then stopped. "And they are waiting for us outside."

Sakura can see from the car window a group of students, laughing and chatting happily. 

"Fine... I won't force you. If you're still in, then follow me. But if you really just want to live under the wings of your mom and being a Miyawaki, then he'll drive you home."

Yena didn't even wait for Sakura's reply and went off the car as soon as she finished her sentence. She's about to enter the Milktea Shop when,

"You're not planning on leaving me, right?"

The duck smirked.

"C' mon?"

And the two best friends enter the shop like nothing happened. They are greeted by their friends who are on the seats farthest to the counter. 

"Finally!" Hyewon beamed, closing the book she's been holding. "The real deal is here!"

"Me?" Yena said, acting overwhelmed.

"Of course... not," Kwangbae replied. "What I'm saying is this girl."

She then placed her arm on Sakura's shoulder. All of their friends are grinning and smirking at Hyewon making a move but Sakura didn't seem to notice their reaction. She didn't even flinch at the other girl's action.

"With Sakura and Nako to review us, we're sure to pass-"

"That's not true. You'll pass if you will listen." Sakura denied. She looked at Yena and saw the duck signaling for her to smile. She followed the girl and tried to sound confident. "Let's start."

Hyewon guided the Gaming Club's president sit on her and Minju's table. Yena, on the other hand, has been designated to be on Yuri and Chaewon's table. The third table was occupied by Yujin, Hitomi, and Chaeyeon while the fourth is occupied only by Nako. 

In just a matter of minutes, two of their friends finally arrived.

"We're finally here..." Kwon said in a perpetually tired voice. "Sorry if we're a bit late. Wonyoung still has violin and flute lessons. She decided to just skip the swimming lecture for today just to catch up."

"I'm really sorry, guys," Wonyoung said in her best aegyo voice. 

"No, it's totally fine." Hyewon, the arranger of the event, replied. "Looks like you haven't eaten anything yet. Order at the counter first."

"I'll join you," Chaeyeon volunteered, lending Eunbi a handkerchief to wipe her sweat.

The girls continued to review for tomorrows exams when,

"Yujin," Wonyoung called, smiling. "I bought you a milk tea."

"F-For what?" 

"Nothing, really. I just saw that you aren't drinking anything so I bought one for you." 

"I'm thankful Wonyoung but," Yujin said, not knowing how to explain. "I... have lactose intolerance."

"S-Sorry, I don't know. Oh gosh, umm..." Wonyoung was shocked and ashamed at the same time. "What are we going to do with this? Should I just throw this away or-"

"Don't! It'll be a waste of money." The runner said, trying to think of a solution. "Wait, I have an idea. I'm just going to pay this to you-"

"No, you don't have to!" Wonyoung declined. "It's my treat to you."

"But I'm just going to give this-"

"It's okay for me, Yujin. It's my fault, anyway. I didn't ask you first. Don't pay for it, please."

"If... If you insist." The other tall girl replied. "Thanks, Wonyoungie."  

Yujin then took something from her bag: a post-it note and a marker. She wrote something and put it on top of the milk tea. She quickly stood up and went to the other table.

"Here's your order, ma'am," The girl said, handing the milk tea in front of Minju. This caught the attention of the other girls on the table, specially Hyewon.

"The heck is that, Yujin?!?" Kwangbae cringed. The other students also tried to look at what's happening on their friend's table. "'Coffee next week? Yes or Yes'... This will be the first time you will ask Minju again on a date and that is your plan? To ask her through post-it?"

"I don't know where to start, okay?" Yujin explained herself. "But now that you've already seen it... Minju, I know that I promised to wait until you're fully healed, but I won't forgive myself if I let pass this school year without even trying."

"I proved to myself earlier that you're opening up to me again... and I don't want to scare you away. I won't force you to go out with me... But at least consider it. And if you aren't ready yet, it's fine. I'll accept whatever your decision-"

"You won't stop talking until I say yes, right?" Minju said, still looking at the reviewer she borrowed from Hyewon. 

"D-Does that mean-"

"Do you want a no?"

"O-Of course not! I'm just-" Yujin can't help but to jump in joy. Minju might have her complete attention to the reviewer in front of her, but Hyewon swore she saw the girl lightly grin because of the other girl's reaction. "T-Thanks, Min."

"Don't thank me yet. That will only happen if you pass all your subjects." Minju challenged. "So if you really want that 'date', please go back to your table now."

"That might be hard to do but I promise you that I won't waste this chance."

"You're not that good at promises, Yujin. So you better just do it."

The tall girl just nodded. she high-fived Chaeyeon and Kwon on the way. She also winked at Wonyoung who gave her the milk tea, but she only replied by giving a faint smile.  

"Is that also the way you two asked each other out?" Chaewon seatmates, who aren't talking to each other ever since Yena came. 

"H-How did you-"

"I saw you two on the New Year's Fest. You two weren't there when I told Kwon and Wonyoung that my parents are sponsors for the event." Chaewon explained. "So... How's the date? Did it end perfectly?"

The duck and hamster just looked at each other.

"I... I just need to go get some fresh air." Yuri said before running outside. 

"Wait, Yuri-ah," Yena, who followed, held her by the arm to stop her. "Are you... Are you mad at me?"

"What?" Yuri stared at her. "How did you even thought that?"

"Well, you're not answering my texts and calls. I just guessed that you're mad at me for giving you-"

"I'm not angry or anything, Yena. I'm actually... ashamed." Yuri explained. "I'm sorry that you have to see me in that condition." 

"Wait a minute... So it's all a misunderstanding?"

"Yes, I guess." 

Yena chuckled and scratched the back of her neck.

"I'm really sorry for what I did last time, Yuri." Yena apologized. "Don't worry, I won't repeat it again next time."

"N-Next time? What do you mean?" 

"Why are you confused?" Yena asked. "When you're courting someone, it just can't be a one-time date, right?"

That last statement made Yuri more speechless.

"Y-You're courting me??"

Yena let out a hearty laugh, not only at how cute yuri is right now, but also at how she reacted to the girl's remark. The duck then used the chance to held Yuri's both hands.

"I already told you how much I like you last time, and I would be a real dummy if I won't pursue you," Yena admitted. "But that is..."

.

.

.

.

.

.

"If you will let me."