Chapter 9

A Boy and His (wolf)Dog

Hyunbin was a simple person. Despite having a ton of money from werewolf hunting he preferred to live a simple but modest life. He spent money on things that he needed, the rest was being saved for their missions, bills and food. It was only a miracle that Sanggyun didn't need much, and Yoonbin preferred to buy stuff with his own money, so Hyunbin was completely fine with that.

There was something odd about getting random missions seemingly out of nowhere in the states. Maybe it was the fact that MJ had contacted them about something that suddenly had Hyunbin and Sanggyun head to the states with new batches of missions. Maybe it was the fact that Kino's dog Changgu was another animal-human. This time completely dog instead of being part wolf like Sanggyun was. Whatever the case may be it raised questions for everyone, even Sanggyun himself.

Seeing Sanggyun interact with another animal-human was comical at best. Sanggyun had no idea how to act around the rather energetic Changgu and the others got a kick out of it. It was something that was for sure.

"What is it MJ?" Asked Hyunbin once they had time alone. "Ah, just a message to pass onto you from Yedam," said MJ. "Hm," said Hyunbin as he nodded for MJ to go ahead and tell him.

"Well," said MJ. "Yedam says that this won't be the last of when you hear from your father," he said. "He would've come see you in person but he was busy doing things," he said. "I see," said Hyunbin. "Well," he said. "Berlin wouldn't've been a good place to meet, my father has eyes everywhere," he said. "That's true," said MJ.

"Ah," said Hyunbin. "Do you know where Seungmin and Felix are?" He asked. "His brother is in Berlin and since we're here we'll go back with them," he said. "Ah, last I heard they were west, over in a werewolf's territory visiting some friends," said MJ. "I'll message them though," he added.

Sanggyun came over to them with Changgu in tow, Kino not too far behind them. "Had fun you three?" Asked MJ as he spotted them. "It was... Nice," Sanggyun said in English, shrugging. Changgu grinned, and Kino scratched the back of his head. "Sanggyun got pushed into the water," Kino said with a snicker. "That would explain the sulky mood," said MJ. "Oh shut up," said Sanggyun as he scowled.

"Well, we have missions," Hyunbin said in English. "We'll be back as soon as possible," he said. "You've been practicing your English," said MJ as he raised an eyebrow. "I'm not as fluent in it as Sanggyun is but," Hyunbin said, shrugging. "I'm learning," he said. "We'll be back then," he said. MJ and the others nod.

 

~



Missions were usually taken care of by Sanggyun when they were out of Europe. Their gun laws were different in different countries in Europe of course, but werewolf hunters held a bigger impact there than anywhere else in the world due to Italy being no longer used for the yearly vampire purges. That and travelling by train was much easier to carry weapons with than by plane.

It was during these types of missions that Hyunbin actually felt vulnerable. The inability to use one of his prized pistols made him feel so underpowered. He never liked being underpowered due to his pride.

"Done?" Asked Hyunbin as Sanggyun finished killing the werewolf they were after. "Yep," said Sanggyun as he wiped blood away from his mouth. "No scratches like usual then?" Asked Hyunbin. "Yep," said Sanggyun. Hyunbin went to take care of the body and Sanggyun went to clean up. When they were both done they left the building after Hyunbin sent a picture of the wolf. They then headed back to MJ's pack house.

"Welcome back guys," said Jinho. "Thank you," said Sanggyun. "Felix and Seungmin should be here in a few hours," said Jinho. "Good, we're done with our missions here," said Sanggyun. "Kino and Changgu are out on the dock if you want to see them," said Jinho. Sanggyun turned to Hyunbin. "Go ahead," Hyunbin said, hiding a smile. Sanggyun grinned and ran out to the dock.

"He never spent much time with others of his kind eh?" Asked Jinho. "No," said Hyunbin. "Wolves tend to avoid him and dogs don't know what to make of his smell," he said. "Ah, he does smell like a werewolf," said Jinho. "Is it because of that contract?" He asked. Hyunbin nodded. "Hm," said Jinho.

Hyunbin went to see what Kino, Changgu and Sanggyun were up to, spotting the three of them just sitting on the dock and watching the sunset. "Mind if I join you?" He asked. "Go ahead," said Kino as he turned his head to look at Hyunbin before turning his attention back to the water. Hyunbin went to sit by Sanggyun who was being his usual quiet self.

"You guys will be leaving soon eh?" Kino asked suddenly. "We have a home to get back to, plus Jeongwoo was looking forward to seeing his brother again," said Sanggyun. "Also Yoonbin doesn't particularly like us being gone so much despite the fact that he's fine on his own," he said. "He worries, remember," said Hyunbin. Sanggyun hummed.

"I will never understand how you humans work," said Kino as he sighed. "But I guess it's a given, we care for our own as you do," he said. "Family was always important to me," said Hyunbin. "Not many are like me, but due to my profession I care for my brother more than most," he said.

"Why is that?" Asked Kino. "I know I can take care of myself," said Hyunbin. "I have Sanggyun by my side," he added. "But Yoonbin doesn't," he said. "He had no one when he was kicked out of my parents' house," he said. "The only thing I've ever done for him was make sure he had a house and a job," he said. "Now he lives with me, and has a permanent job," he said. "At least, for now," he added. "He never stayed this long before, but I guess it's because he wants to," he said. "Hm," said Kino.

"Hey, did you ever take the cure or whatever?" Sanggyun asked suddenly. Kino blinked. "Yeah," he said. "I took it after I was sure Changgu here really was him," he said. "However since I waited so long the after affects are still there, kind of," he said. "I'm no longer getting sick to the point of being bedridden for weeks but," he said, shrugging. "I'm still getting easily exhausted," he said. "Ah, that's good, at least," said Sanggyun. Kino hummed, nodding.

"I brought over dinner," called Shinwon as he walked over with a basket of food. "Sorry, we were comfortable here," said Kino as he scratched the back of his head. "Hey it's fine," said Shinwon as he passed food over to everyone before passing them drinks. Everyone started eating in comfortable silence.

 

~



A few days later Felix and Seungmin arrived, bringing along Hyunjin and Jisung as they had gotten missions. "Cory finally let you go on your own for once?" Asked MJ. "It took some convincing, but yes," said Jisung as he scratched the back of his head.

"Hey wolf-dog," said Seungmin. "Hello wolf," said Sanggyun as he put his hands in his pockets. "My brother is in Berlin?" Asked Seungmin. Sanggyun nodded. "When we left Yoonbin was watching him," he said. "Gives him the excuse to hang around the coffee shop all day anyway," he said with a snicker. Seungmin chuckled some. "Sounds like him," he said.

"We'll be heading back with you then," said Felix. "Whenever you're ready," he added. "We've been packed," said Sanggyun. "So MJ will drop us off at the airport, we booked tickets for you," he said. "Ah, thanks," said Seungmin.

Hyunbin watched the interaction between Sanggyun and the others and noticed how tense he was. "Sanggyun," he said, snapping Sanggyun out of whatever he was in. "Let's go then?" He asked. Sanggyun blinked. "Sure," he said. "You two got everything?" He asked. Seungmin and Felix nod. "Alright MJ, let's go then," said Hyunbin. MJ nodded and they headed off in the truck to the airport.

Hyunbin wasn't looking forward to the trip home, he hadn't seen Sanggyun act this tense in a long time.

He just hoped that Sanggyun was able to behave himself. They had a long flight ahead of them after all.