Chapter 8

A Boy and His (wolf)Dog

Sanggyun was observing a lot of things when he was around the coffee shop. Hyunbin was doing normal human things for once, and Sanggyun was often left alone. Hyunbin held a human job, whenever he wasn't due for missions and he had to return to his job after their last batch of missions.

Sanggyun found himself sitting in the coffee shop again with Yoonbin working with Yunhyeong, Chanwoo and Junhoe. These werewolves, Yoonbin had said, were the most calm around him. That was great, because most of the others were out doing missions again, and these people were the only ones available for the moment.

"You guys are being sent out more than usual," remarked Sanggyun as Junhoe walked over with a refill. Junhoe shrugged. "It's not unusual for us," he said. "Donghyuk's only visiting family, the others are checking on the information network," he said. "I see," said Sanggyun.

The door chimed and in walked in a face no one had seen in quite literally decades, along with a new face. "Jinyoung?" Asked Chanwoo as he blinked in surprise. Jinyoung scratched the back of his head. "Hello," he said. "It's been a long time," said Chanwoo. "Been fine, up until Mark was killed anyway, I took up hunting to keep the insanity away," said Jinyoung. "Figured I'd come back to my home country to check things out," he said. "Ah, it's a shame what had happened to him," hummed Chanwoo. Jinyoung nodded. "The usual then?" Asked Chanwoo. "Sure," said Jinyoung as he went to pay for it.

"What brings you here?" Asked Chanwoo. "Ah, missions and things, was finally assigned an international mission," said Jinyoung. "That and I was told to someone," he said, nodding to the boy beside him. "Seungmin?" Asked Chanwoo as his eyes furrowed in confusion. "No, my name is Jeongwoo," said Jeongwoo as he scratched the back of his head. "I do have an uncannily resemblance to my older brother don't I?" He asked, chuckling slightly.

"You're in the wrong country," said Chanwoo. "I know, but my missions brought me here," said Jinyoung. "They told me to drop him off here and you'd do the rest," he said. "Who?" Asked Chanwoo. "The wolf council," said Jinyoung.

"They have no business sending a wolf here," Chanwoo said as he schooled his expression to be blank. "Oi oi," said Jinyoung as he held up his hands. "Don't shoot the messenger yeah?" He asked.

"I'm sorry," Chanwoo said, sighing. "We've had to deal with them a lot lately since Sungjin's pack became official," he said. "Jeongwoo can stay, you're only here to drop him off?" He asked. Jinyoung nodded. "Was going to stop by the old farm to see if it was still there," he said. Chanwoo nodded. "It should be," he said. Yunhyeong called out their drinks and Jinyoung went to grab his as Jeongwoo did the same thing. "I'm off then, Jeongwoo you can go sit with the wolf-dog," said Jinyoung before he left.

Jeongwoo looked down at his drink before making his way over to Sanggyun's table. "Can I sit here?" He asked. "Sure," said Sanggyun as he looked up from the book he was reading before returning his gaze to the book. Jeongwoo sat down with a small sigh, putting the cup on the table in front of him.

"So um," said Jeongwoo. "Why do they call you the wolf-dog?" He asked. "That's exactly what I am," said Sanggyun as he looked at Jeongwoo with an eyebrow raised. "I didn't think that was possible," mumbled Jeongwoo. "That's what they all say," said Sanggyun as he shrugged, moving to scratch the area of skin between his collar and his neck.

"You're a pet?" Jeongwoo asked with wide eyes. "In a way," said Sanggyun as he leaned back in his chair to turn his attention fully to the wolf sitting in front of him. It was rare that these wolves approached him in a somewhat civil manner. Then again Jeongwoo was practically dumped on him.

"Jesus you two," said Chanwoo as he walked over after making sure there were no customers needing attending to. "Could you make it any less obvious that you're both curious about each other?" He asked. "No wolf has willingly come to sit with me you know that," Sanggyun said, deadpanning. "They do find you quite weird," Chanwoo said with a snicker. Sanggyun shook his head.

"Anyway," said Chanwoo. "Chan and his pack are all out at the moment," he said. "Renjun decided to go visit Jaemin so that's why he's not here," he added. "So I messaged Chan to see if Seungmin could come straight to Berlin after his missions were done," he said. "He and Felix should be back in a few months," he said. "A few months?" Asked Jeongwoo.

"They're vampire hunters, doing missions in the states right now," said Chanwoo. "It's going to be a bit," he said. "I see," said Jeongwoo. "I can't let you stay here, same with my pack house," said Chanwoo as he scratched the back of his head. "So you're going to have to find a place to stay elsewhere," he said. "It's nothing against you," he added. "But we don't know who you are," he said. Jeongwoo hummed in response.

 

~



And that was how Sanggyun was stuck with a little brother for a while. Jeongwoo followed him around like a lost puppy, firing questions left and right about who he was and how he was like that. Hyunbin had taken the news of a new friend for Sanggyun with an amused snort, and Yoonbin laughed at Sanggyun's predicament.

It was odd, to see the normally stoic Sanggyun be so... Affectionate towards Jeongwoo. Regular wolf-humans avoided him like the plague and yet Jeongwoo didn't mind his presence at all. It wasn't like Sanggyun was hard to approach, he was on friendly terms with Chan and Sungjin's respective packs after all. Not many knew of the contract and found it odd to see a wolf under the care of a human.

Sanggyun could get used to this, having a temporary little brother. He never had that kind of thing in the past.

Was it bad that he wasn't looking forward to Jeongwoo reuniting with Seungmin?