Chapter 13

A Boy and His (wolf)Dog

"What has you so hesitant to open up to me?" Asked Chunji as Hyunbin let him explore with Sanggyun when Hyunbin, Yoonbin and Jeongwoo were working. "You wouldn't understand," said Sanggyun as he put his hands in his pockets. "What is there to understand? You're a pet," said Chunji. "There's more to it than that," said Sanggyun.

"Tell me then," said Chunji. "What makes you any different from a normal pet?" He asked. "I'm in a family of werewolf hunters for one," said Sanggyun as he deadpanned. "So what? So is Changjo," said Chunji. "He isn't part of a family but he is a werewolf hunter," he said. "You wouldn't understand my situation," said Sanggyun. "Try me," said Chunji.

Sanggyun sighed. "Fine," he said. "Don't go crazy on me if this doesn't work out," he said. "I promise," said Chunji. Sanggyun studied Chunji with a tilt of his head, before shrugging and continuing on their leisurely stroll. Chunji followed after him with his hands in his hoodie pockets.

"Alright," Sanggyun said after a few minutes. "First I'm going to explain my past, at least some of it," he said. "So don't say anything until I'm done," he said. Chunji nodded.

"I wasn't originally a pet," began Sanggyun as he looked up at the sky. "I don't remember much of my life before but I do know that I was originally one of the very first pure bloods to come into existence before I was killed," he said. "By werewolf hunters no less," he added, sighing as he shook his head. "Some circumstances brought me back and now I'm stuck in this new body," he said, shrugging. "I've been with Hyunbin's family for centuries, being passed down from person to person, Hyunbin's the latest person to have me," he said. Chunji listened with a nod, not sure of how to comprehend something like that.

"You see," said Sanggyun as he turned to Chunji. "Why this would be difficult to pull off even if the circumstances were near perfect?" He asked. "Mm," said Chunji. How could he answer that? He was still trying to figure things out.

"Is there a way to... Break whatever this is?" Chunji finally asked. "Well," said Sanggyun as he shrugged. "It'd have to be killing Hyunbin, but then I'd die in three days," he said. "How so?" Asked Chunji. "My soul is bound to him by some sort of contract," said Sanggyun. "I can't die, can't get injured, the like," he said. "I'm essentially the perfect weapon for werewolf hunters," he explained. "But if the person who holds my contract dies before they pass it onto someone else I die in three days," he said. Chunji hummed in response.

"I'm actually more okay with this than you think," said Sanggyun. "I have a second chance at living, even if it's being bound to someone for the rest of my days," he said. "Who knows, I may finally get to be set free," he added. "But that's dependent on what happens next," he added. "I see," said Chunji.

"Do you still want to try and make this work?" Asked Sanggyun as he turned to Chunji. "Yes," said Chunji. "Even if something happens I'm willing to take this chance," he said. "Maybe one day I'll get to hold onto this conract," he said. "Maybe," said Sanggyun as his expression changed for a second before he turned around and continued walking. Chunji followed after him.

When they reached the front of the coffee shop someone was waiting on them, and Chunji waved. "Hey Changjo," he called. "Hello Chunji, wolf-dog," said Changjo. "Hello," said Sanggyun as he smiled slightly.

"What brings you here?" Asked Chunji. "I just returned from a mission, I always stop by the coffee shop before heading home," said Changjo. "You are aware that we moved right?" Asked Chunji. Changjo nodded. "I am," he said. "Is Minsoo aware of us moving?" Asked Chunji. "Yeah," said Changjo. They headed into the coffee shop, with Chanwoo greeting them.

"Hey you three," said Chanwoo. "The usual?" He asked. "Sure," said Changjo as he went to pay for it. Chanwoo processed the order and handed Changjo back his change. "It'll be a few minutes," he said. Changjo nodded and went to find a seat, with Chunji and Sanggyun following after him after Sanggyun waved to Yoonbin and Jeongwoo.

"So who's faction are you with?" Asked Sanggyun. "Officially, I'm with Yedam's," said Changjo. "He changed iKon's faction name to Treasure Box," he said. "Now iKon can be fully known as vampire hunters," he said. "It was a collaboration with Mashiho," he said. "A sort of unification between the two hunting associations," he said. "No one would dare go against the top dogs," said Sanggyun. "Those who have ties to the Treasure Box faction will oppose at first but," he said, shrugging. Changjo hummed in response.

"How was missions?" Asked Sanha as he walked over with their orders. "Been fine," said Changjo. "Haven't been home in months, but it's good to be back," he said. "Same can't be said for Minsoo," he said, sighing. "Just constant missions," he said. "I'd imagine so," said Sanha. "Rocky's been busy with his missions and Yuto says that more hunters have been stopping by Toronto," he said. "A vampire hunter?" Asked Sanggyun. Changjo nodded. "Word around says that the vampires are getting restless, we may have another uprising like Italy soon," he said.

"No one likes the fact that the vampire hunting association is run by a vampire," remarked Sanggyun. "I'm surprised the werewolves haven't tried to revolt against the werewolf hunting association," said Chunji. "With people like iKon having been a part of it all, I doubt anyone is willing to try," said Sanggyun.

"iKon's reputation exceeds them," said Sanha. "Well, iKon was more than just Chanwoo's brother's pack," said Changjo. "Jinhwan will tell you that there was more than just them," he said. "I was one of the first recruits," he said. "Back then Yedam didn't have a name for us," he said. "The only reason we became as well known was because of Jinhwan's story," he said.

"It was stupid," said Chanwoo as he sighed. "I sometimes wish I hadn't done what I did," he said. "It's the past now however, I do regret what I did, but the past is the past," he said.

"We should get going then," said Changjo as he finished his drink. Chunji nodded, getting up. "I'll let you know when my next free day is," said Sanggyun. "If you do want to continue down this route," he added. Chunji nodded. "I'll see you then," he said before leaving with Changjo.

 

~



"So he wants to potentially hold the contract huh?" Asked Hyunbin. Sanggyun nodded. "He accepted what I was, but I know nothing about him," he said. "Maybe he'll talk about it one day," said Hyunbin. Sanggyun nodded.