Chapter 7

A Boy and His (wolf)Dog

Yoonbin was doing just fine on his own, though he did miss his brother and Sanggyun a lot. Long stretches of missions like this made him feel lonely but at least now he had a steady job. Renjun was picked up by one of Chan's pack members and Yoonbin waved to him as they left.

It was weird to think that he had somehow become a magnet for attracting the wrong kind of attention as more of the werewolves that were with Jinhwan's pack had returned from their missions. After getting shoved into a wall by one of the more violent prone members, Bobby, Chanwoo sent him to see Eunwoo, who had become his primary care doctor after Yoonbin mentioned that he didn't have one due to no health insurance.

"Seriously?" Asked Eunwoo as Yoonbin entered his office again. "Who was it this time?" He asked. Yoonbin looked down, not wanting to speak. Eunwoo sighed as he went to check him over, to make sure that no lasting damage was done. "You're fine," he said after a few minutes. Yoonbin nodded. "Take a couple days off, I'm sure things will calm down by then," said Eunwoo. Yoonbin nodded again before leaving the office and heading home.

 

~



The next working day Bobby had come to apologize to Yoonbin, stating that it wasn't like him to have a violent outburst like that. Yoonbin shook his head, to which Rocky interpreted as "all is forgiven don't worry" as he gave an offhand comment about it. "He's mute," said Rocky when Bobby gave him a questioning look. "I've been his coworker for months now, I've learned to read his body language," he explained. "Ah, I see," said Bobby. He inclined his head before leaving the coffee shop, off to do some errands.

"If I didn't know any better I'd think you and Eunwoo are his mates," remarked Chanwoo. Rocky snorts. "No, we're not," he said. Yoonbin blinked in surprise. "Ah," said Chanwoo. "They're 'shifters, foxes to be more exact," he explained. Yoonbin hummed, still not getting it but he knew about the whole mate thing.

He was observant enough to notice how Jinwoo had lit up when a British werewolf named Chan had visited for a couple days with a packmate of his named Jason. Or when Chanwoo's mood brightened when Donghan, an informant from Switzerland, had shown up just to give a report.

Moonbin was never jealous whenever Chanwoo and Donghan saw each other again, and Yoonbin often wondered why. He guessed that if someone found their mate in him that it'd be similar to this in someways. Being a barista who almost never spoke sure had his mind racing when something new caught his attention.

 

~



Moonbin swore that that was the last of the violent prone members, but when Yunhyeong returned with Donghyuk, Junhoe and Sanha after they finished their missions it was like all hell broke loose. The normally calm Donghyuk had slammed Yoonbin into the wall with a snarl as soon as they met and it took Yunhyeong, Junhoe and Rocky to drag him off of a frightened Yoonbin who slid to the ground in shock.

"Okay what the hell," said Moonbin. "First Jinhwan, then Bobby, now Donghyuk?" He asked. "Jinwoo, take him to see Eunwoo, I think this might be the the worst of the ones that happened so far," he said. "We need to have a talk," he said, turning to an apologetic Donghyuk who had since calmed down. Jinwoo nodded and went to help Yoonbin stand before taking him to the hospital.

"Again?" Asked Eunwoo as he saw them. "Who was it this time?" He asked. "Donghyuk," said Jinwoo. "I swear this better not become a regular occurrence," said Eunwoo as he checked over Yoonbin, this time making sure there were no bruises forming. Jinwoo watched from the other side of the room, his arms crossed in front of him.

"What happened this time?" Asked Eunwoo as he saw several bruises start to form along Yoonbin's lower back. "Well, Yunhyeong returned with Donghyuk, Junhoe and Sanha today," said Jinwoo.

"It was Donghyuk that did this?" Asked Eunwoo as his eyebrows furrowed in surprise. "Yeah," said Jinwoo. "You should've seen the look on his face, I never thought I'd see a look of pure fear cross his face before it turned to rage," he said. "Just who are you kid?" Asked Eunwoo as he finished looking at Yoonbin. "Take it easy for the next couple days, luckily there's just bruising," he said. Yoonbin nodded.

 

~



When Hyunbin and Sanggyun returned there wasn't any more instances from Donghyuk, Bobby or Jinhwan. Yoonbin was at least on friendly terms with everyone again, as they got used to having a human coworker working with them for the first time in years.

"Heard you got into some trouble while we were out," said Hyunbin as he picked up Yoonbin from work. Yoonbin sheepishly scratched the back of his head. "Hey, no worries," said Hyunbin. "It's expected with the pack that used to be iKon," he said. "I got the same hostility when I met them the first time, and they were still werewolf hunters back then," he said, sighing a bit.

"I think it's a family thing," said Sanggyun as he shrugged. "It's always been the same, they hate your family," he said. "Hm," said Hyunbin.

 

~



Yunhyeong was a hard one to crack for Yoonbin. He had learned from Hongseok that Yunhyeong was his mate and even he couldn't figure the guy out. Their relationship was a fragile one, built entirely on trust. The guarded yet relieved expression that crossed Yunhyeong's face whenever Hongseok stopped by the coffee shop was enough for Yoonbin to figure that out at least.

Sanha was easy, as he was put on the same timetables as Rocky since those two worked the best together and oftentimes Yoonbin was put on the same time frames since Rocky worked with him the best out of everyone. Yoonbin figured that his mate was somewhere out of the country, seeing how each passing shift Sanha had to hide the increasing longing expression in his eyes.

"Sanha's mate is human," explained Rocky when he caught Yoonbin observing the youngest 'shifter in the pack. "He's out of the country, but he can't visit due to being needed where he is," he said. "Maybe we'll see them, who knows," he said.

The other werewolves Yoonbin rarely saw, due to them never getting the same shifts as he did to avoid more bad confrontations. Oh, they still worked with him when no one else was available but Yoonbin was sort of glad they stayed away. He didn't like to be slammed into a wall for no apparent reason.

Was it weird that he was beginning to actually like this job?