Part 16

Offside
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Keep going, breath out for me.”

You watch as Dr Kim instructs the guy to puff the air in his chest out into the device, Jungkook struggling to push against the resistance in his lungs as he puffs the air out with all of his strength.

“That’s it,” Dr Kim nods reassuringly before removing the device and quickly entering the data in his computer “your FEV1 is reduced as I expected.”

“Reduced?” you quickly ask as you shift closer to have a look at the computer while Jungkook just sits against Dr Kim’s desk “But he’s been taking his medication, I thought it would improve.”

“Why do you think?” Dr Kim glances at the guy before looking at you “Hmm?”

“That’s strange,” you furrow your eyebrows “If the medications are working, shouldn’t his lung function improve.”

“And how long does It usually take for them to work?” Dr Kim asks with a stern tone

“Six to eight weeks,” you mutter automatically “oh …” your voice falters in realisation that it just hasnt been enough time before quickly adding “But still, his lung function reduced compared to last time. Shouldn’t it at least stay the same?”

“She’s right,” Jungkook finally speaks up “I thought the stupid medications actually work. Are they just making me worse?”

“They’re not,” Dr Kim explains glancing between the two of your calmly “I expected this kind of reaction to a certain extent, that’s why I told Hoseok to talk to you about adding more support for you in the game.”

“That’s stupid,” Jungkook scoffs “What’s the point of the medications if its just making me feel worse?”  he asks in an annoyed tone

“This is just a temporary reaction from your body,” Dr Kim explains in reassurance “you see, our body is quite smart. For the longest time your lungs weren’t working properly to give your body as much oxygen as they needed. So, your body adjusted the blood flow to your lung just enough to get the oxygen that was in your lung.”

He hesitates to look between you and Jungkook before adding “but after taking the medications, your lung has started working better, taking more oxygen in as a result. You have more oxygen but since your body is not used to it, the blood flow is not enough to take it all on board for use-“

“V/Q mismatch!” you suddenly gasp in realisation as Dr Kim’s explanation starts to make sense

“Bingo!” Dr Kim nods with an affirming smile “your body got confused with the amount of oxygen you suddenly started taking up and sent you to a full on panic on the first chance you were exhausted.”

“That’s stupid,” Jungkook sighs “I told you this is not gonna work.”

“Well today’s incident only means one thing Jeon,” Dr Kim shakes his head “That the medications are actually working. Once your body starts getting used to it, you’ll be on top of your game.”

“I knew it!” you clap in excitement before turning around and tapping the guy on the shoulder “See? I told you!”

You immediately retract your hand as you see the guy’s cold gaze and your eyes quickly flick back to Dr Kim.

“You both did great,” Dr Kim smiles at the two of you “Keep going with the great work, and just give me a call if something happens.”

“Sure, I’ll see you for the end of week meeting soon Dr Kim” you nod as you watch Jungkook standing up and already making his way to the door

“Jeon,” Dr Kim calls and the guy pauses before turning around and facing the young doctor “Do you trust me now?” Dr Kim asks with a smile

“Yeah whatever!” he rolls his eyes before opening the door and leaving the room

“Good job,” Dr Kim brings his eyes to you “I’m really grateful for your help, thanks for staying with him until I got here.”

“Of course,” you smiled bitterly “sorry I wasn’t much help, he didn’t accept the oxygen no matter how much I tried!”

“Jeon’s a stubborn one,” he explains with a reassuring smile “I’ve known him for a while, so don’t worry. Keep up the great work.”

“Thank you, Dr Kim!” you smile before heading out his office and down the stairs to the changing room

You watch the guy who’s standing there, the upper half of his body bare and looking through his locker as he jams his stuff in his gym bag.

“Are you feeling better?” you ask nervously shifting on your spot

“Why do you care?” He asks with a mocking tone “Shouldn’t you be at Park Jimin’s place his or something?” he scoffs, hesitating to give you a harsh look before turning around to leave to the shower room

“Wait-“ you quickly rush and grab his biceps “you said your piece, I need to say mine.”

“What do you wanna say?” he turns around and asks harshly “Was it your friend again? Did Namjoon Hyung force you to him this time again?”

“Jungkook listen to me please,” you sigh with an exhausted tone “The last time you assumed things about me, you were about to finger me in your room because you thought I wanna hook up with you and we both know how much you regretted it.”

“Fine!” He sighs as he completely turns to face you “Go on!”

“Look I know we talked about me staying away from Jimin, but that’s not possibile” you explain “when he’s literally in the SNU’s soccer team.”

“So you’re telling me,” you watch the guy’s expression harden “You’re ing him because he’s from SNU?”

“What? NO! Of course not!” you quickly interject “What I meant is, he’s my best friend’s teammate, its impossible for me to avoid him when I go over my friend’s house and he’s literally there.”

“Fine, lets say he was there,” he furrows his eyebrows “Then why the hell were you straddling him?”

“I was giving him a massage,” you correct “he cooked us dinner, Joon told him I give good massages as part of my work here, he said I should pay him back for the dinner with a massage. That’s all that happened.”

You watch the guy stay rooted in his spot in silence, glancing away from you in rage as he chews his word, so you sigh instead ready to drop the talk there. 

“Fine,” you sigh “If you don’t wanna believe me don’t. “ you walk pass him to get to your unfinished work for the rest of your shift when he grabs your wrist

“Wait-“he pauses as you turn around and face him “I’ll buy you dinner tonight,” his gaze flicks away as his tongue protrudes in his cheek “And maybe you can give me a massage too.”

“Jeon,” you sigh with a chuckle “this is not a competition like soccer- “

“It’s not that,” he steps forward, tracing the space between you two as he holds both of your arms “I-I wanna b-buy you dinner,” he stutters and for the first time you see the not so confident persona of Hanguk’s golden boy showing up “Dr Kim said I’m doing better,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter