Part 7

Offside
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“As you already know the finals are getting closer and as always I have to go through the procedures with you,” Dr Kim explains, sitting across you and 11 other guys who all occupied the small room

“We have to document all the injuries pre-season, the sports federation amended the laws in regards to sports injuries. If any of the injuries are underreported, they will take actions and that might come at the cost of the club.”

“Hyung,” Hoseok calls with a concerned tone “Does that mean you have to bench the guys?”

“If their condition isn’t up to the standards I have no other choice,” Dr Kim explains with a sigh “We have to take extra care for the sake of the club.”

Your eyes travel to the figure across the room, resting his back on the chair and listening carefully to the words that leave Dr Kim’s lips.

You can’t help but feel anxious for Jungkook, considering his recent condition on the field.

Jungkook is the gold card of Hanguk’s team and if implementing the new federation rules means he needs to be benched, it will have a great impact on both his career and the team’s success in the finals.

“make yourself an appointment with the office before you leave,” Dr Kim instructs to the guys “Anyone who’s not checked by me before the finals will be automatically benched so dont push it aside.”

You bite the corner of your lips as you see a couple of guys sigh in annoyance.

“This is about the team,” Hoseok continues, standing up and looking at his team “We’re not individuals here, so get your head out of your and listen to Dr Kim. Otherwise, pack your bags and empty your lockers, people are willing to replace you right away. Do you understand?”

“YES!” the guys respond in union, although the response not matching their facial expressions

“Alright,” Dr Kim nods “That’s enough from me, I’ll see you all at your appointments.”

The guys stand up and start to leave the room one by one so you start to gather your notebook and pen to leave the room when you hear Dr Kim.

“Jeon, you stay.” He instructs and your eyes immediately meet Jungkook’s “You too Y/N.”

“S-Sure,” you nod a bit taken off guard by the sudden invitation.

Jungkook takes a seat just beside you and you flash a quick smile to him before watching all the guys leaving the room.

Dr Kim quickly turns his computer on and tilts the screen around so it’s easier for you and Jungkook to see. He then sits back on his chair and waits for all the guys to leave the room before looking at Jungkook sternly.

“What do you think you’re doing, you punk?”

Your eyes widen at the sudden scolding words, the usual polite and calm Kim Seokjin suddenly turning to a stranger across your eyes.

“I dont know what you’re talking about-” Jungkook starts but his sentence is interrupted by Dr Kim’s sudden mocking scoff

“Dont give me that bul Jeon,” Dr Kim’s voice slightly rises, and you flinch in your place, eyes travelling between the two “If Y/N didn’t report to me, I might have missed this.”

He says as he points at the screen, showing a graph which you’ve seen in your lecture notes before. You gulp as your eyes quickly trace the dots plotted and the curve that goes through while trying to recall the information associated with them.

“Y/N,” Dr Kim calls your name and you snap back to the moment “Why dont you explain to him what this means?” He sighs, eyes fixed on the guy who’s staring back with an emotionless expression “Because he doesn’t seem to understand when I explain it to him.”

“his FEV1 is reduced compared to a month ago,” you quickly explain, feeling like you’re being pimped by one of your lecturers in the class “that means the obstruction in his airways has increased since his last PFT.”

“And what does that mean for Jeon?” Dr Kim asks in a mocking tone

“That he’ll have a hard time breathing out, which might cause gas trapping and possible difficulties with taking air in,” you explain looking at the guy who’s listening uninterested “It might also result in severe dizziness, breathlessness and chest tightness in long term.”

“Jeon,” Dr Kim intervenes as the guy stays silent “I will have to bench you,” he sighs, eyebrows furrowing closer “I dont care if your dad is a politician, or that they call you Golden boy out there. You present with any of those and I’m benching you immediately. I have a duty of care and as long as I’m responsible I’m not risking a scene on the games.”

Jungkook lowers his eyes, a tense silence following Dr Kim’s warning. You gulp nervously, peeking at the guy beside you.

Your eyes then travel to Dr Kim who’s signing a piece of paper before placing it in front of the guy.

“I added another inhaler to your previous meds,” Dr Kim instructs before bringing his gaze to you “Ventolin, Seretide, Spiolto, you know them right?”

“Yes,” you quickly nod “Reliever, preventer and controller combination.”

Dr Kim nods as he opens one of his drawers and takes out a diary and places it in front of you.

“I got this from one of my colleagues in the hospital,” he explains as you flip through the pages of the green coloured book “They’re used for those with dementia or cognitive impairment-”

“Hyung,” Jungkook finally speaks up, tone filled with rage “I dont need that.”

“You’ve lost your chance to talk you punk,” Dr Kim scolds “From now on she’ll be checking on your medication.”

“W-What?” You quickly blurt out, mouth dropping in surprise “me?”

“I dont trust him,” Dr Kim explains as he keeps his eyes fixed on Jungkook “You have six weeks, take your medications as prescribed and I’ll reconsider my decision about benching you.”

“Hyung-”

“I haven’t told Hoseok about this,” Dr Kim scowls “I’m giving you a second chance, I can only send you to finals if I have the proof you’ve done what you have to do to control your asthma. otherwise, you’re watching the game from the bench this year.”

“Hyung I’m fine,” Jungkook protests “My FEV1 always drops around the finals, it’s because of the stress and overtraining-”

“I’m not risking getting a red strike on the team because of you,” Dr Kim replies, “Do what you have to do and I’ll sign your permission paper off at the end of six weeks.”

Dr Kim then sighs before looking at you “The devices are DPI, they also have the number of doses used and the number of doses remaining. You’ll be checking it with him 3 times a week and documenting the number of doses from

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter