Kai: Goodbyes

Deliquent

 

 

                                                  Kai

 

Kai sets his feet on his desk, watching as Sehun packs his things into his bag. He looks over at him and smiles apologetically. "I'm sorry, Jongin. It's his last day and I know we have t study..."

 

"Just go and say goodbye," Kai yawns. "I'm totally bummed about NO study-time," He says sarcastically. Sehun gives him a pointed look but still has a smile on his face. "Sehun..."

 

"Hmm?”

 

“Why the are you even saying bye to that piece of ?!” Sehun just keeps smiling as he keeps packing. The punk lets out a soft sigh and swallows hard. “Okay, I know you gotta do what you gotta do but listen…” Kai pauses. "Just don't let Tao get to you, alright? He’s nothing but trash.”

 

Sehun laughs and shakes his head, hauling his bag onto his back. "I'll text you if I need a ride."

 

Kai raises a brow. "Even without my-"

 

"Yep!" Sehun interrupts. "No need to say it, still doesn't make it okay!"

 

"If you hate it so bad just call Jonghyun; he's got a car," Kai motions. “You got his number and he won’t mind.”

 

"That's kind of sketchy. Calling a twenty-four-year-old man to pick me up..”

 

"But it's not weird if it's me?"

 

"No," Sehun quickly says. "I mean....uh.." He laughs nervously. "I'll talk to you later, Jongin!" Kai watches Sehun jog away quickly. He raises a brow when Taemin stops him by the door and wraps an arm around his shoulder. He watches carefully as his best friend quietly speaks to Sehun. Their backs are turned, so Kai can’t see whatever his best friend is doing to Sehun’s wrist. They separate and Taemin gives Sehun a gentle smack on the , letting him join Baekhyun.

 

Kai smiles a little and looks away, out of the window. He hates that Sehun is even bothering to say goodbye to that . But he figures it’s for old time’s sake. And it doesn’t help that the last few weeks back at school have been stressful for both of them. Sehun’s mom keeping a closer eye on Sehun and the threatening texts Kai gets. He knows who it is but what makes him nervous is that the person has been talking about Sehun, threatening to beat him. He told Taemin about this. Considering the last thing Kai and  Taemin want is for Sehun to get hospitalized again, Taemin gave him a metal bat to keep next to his bed.

 

He actually thinks it’s kind of funny how easily his best friend took to Sehun. He treats the boy like a little brother. If anything, Kai thinks it’s cute and it makes him happy when he sees the two together. They had even taken Sehun to Jonghyun's club and he now sometimes hangs out there. And he would be lying if he said Sehun hasn't become a constancy in their lives. Now he’s just used to having him around; hanging out on weekends with the three of them, dancing on Wednesdays, studies on any other day. Sehun had even decided to give him a study break on Thursday, with Kai’s brand-spanking new B.

 

"Hey, you big idiot,” Taemin greets. Kai looks away from the window and groans. He stands up and gets his bag.

 

"How come you're late when you’ve been hanging outside?" Kai asks in annoyance.

 

Taemin spins his keys around his index finger and sighs happily. "I remember when I was a small, cute, little student. Running around in a CUTE little uniform.”

 

"You literally just graduated a year ago."

 

"Time sure does fly by," His best friend hums. "Ready to go?" When Kai nods, Taemin happily steps out of the classroom, leading Kai through the hall. The punk waits until he's out of the school and in the back of Taemin's car before lighting a cigarette.

 

Jonghyun looks back and huffs. "It's weird seeing you in your school uniform.”

 

"Yeah well," Kai chuckles. "I don't study and then you guys won't see me at all for a whole year or two."

 

"I think I'd rather see you with your cute little nose stuck in a book."

 

"Agreed," Jonghyun nods.

 

Kai sighs when his phone pings. He opens it up and narrows his eyes a bit.

 

Cheating : Can we talk?

 

Kai groans loudly. “Oh ’s sake!”

 

Taemin glances at him through the rear-view mirror. "What, what?! Did your cigarette fall out the window again?”

 

"No, It's her," Kai says, showing them both the text.

 

"Kai, you need to talk to her," Jonghyun points out. "You need to tell her you're not interested."

 

"Easier said than done."

 

Kai takes a deep breath before responding.

 

Kai: why?

 

: I want to talk about us.

 

Kai opens up the other text when it pops up.

 

Unknown number: im ing coming for you and your piece of

 

Kai rolls his eyes and switches back to Krystal.

 

Kai: fine. ill be at the club.


 

He pauses for a moment before pulling up his messages with Sehun and texts.

 

Kai: you make it to your taxi ok?

 

Sehun takes a few minutes to respond, which makes him nervous. But he does, eventually.

 

Sehun: Yep! :) Thanks, Jongin~

 

Satisfied, Kai pockets his phone and exhales smoke out the window. He smashes the bud against the heel of his shoe before tossing it out. "Guys, let's go to the club."

 

Taemin scoffs. "This early?"

 

"Krystal's gonna be there."

 

"Who do you know?" Jonghyun asks.

 

Kai lights another one and sighs. "I just do."



 

Kai takes a seat in his usual spot at the upstairs balcony, which overlooks the whole club downstairs. He pops open a beer before resting his feet on the table in front of the couch. As if on cue, Krystal appears on the stairs, staring at him with a weak smile. He sighs and looks away from her. She slowly makes her way over to him, taking a seat on the couch as well; not too close but close enough where he can smell her familiar perfume. It makes him sick and sad. He used to miss it. Not anymore.

 

"Hey, Jongin," She says. "You look good."

 

"Yeah, I know,” Kai looks at her. “What do you want?”

 

Krystal crosses her legs and folds her hands on top of them. "Jongin, I want to talk about us..."

 

"What 'us' is there?"

 

“I...I want to try again,” She says. “Give us another go.”

 

Kai furrows his brows. “Why?" He looks around. "Why the hell do you want me now? What's different about this time, huh? Are you gonna randomly ditch me for one of my close friends again?”

 

"It wasn't like that! I...I made a mistake." She admits. "I shouldn't have left you and I know that…”

 

"Yeah?" Kai asks. "And why did you leave?"

 

"Look, I was just...so confused. After your parent's divorce, you just...you were different," She sighed. "And then when your mother died and you started to...do all those things. Stealing, getting into fights- it was too much, Kai!"

 

"So you decide to, oh, I don't know- dump me when I'm at my weakest point?! You were supposed to be there for me, Krystal and you weren't!" Kai shouts. "You know who was there? Taemin! Taemin was there for me, as ing usual!”

 

"Kai, you're getting mad again..."

 

Kai takes a deep breath, calming himself down. He fiddles with the bracelet on his wrist, the one Sehun had given him a few days ago. He said to use it to help calm him down and, well, it works. It’s a black and white beaded bracelet, supposedly to symbolize balance. Sehun and his stupid poetry. But he’s right, it does help him. When he thinks of the dumb kid, it calms him.

 

She looks at the bracelet. “Oh, is that from...a girlfriend?”

 

Kai looks at the bracelet and scoffs. “This? No, it’s...from Sehun. He gave it to me.”

 

“That’s your new friend, right?” She asks and Kai slowly nods. She smiles at it. "He really seems like a nice boy.”

 

"He is...and?"

 

Krystal scoots closer. "You're getting better, aren't you? I've seen you at school, handing out with Sehun, attending.”

 

Kai slowly looks back up at her, narrowing his eyes. “Is that what this is?”

 

She looks confused. "What?"

 

"Let me guess...now that I'm in a better place, supposedly, and now...you want back," Kai says.

"Because it'll be less stressful and intense."

 

"Kai, that's-"

 

"Krystal,” Kai sighs and stands. “Just tell me the truth,” He says calmly.

 

Krystal stares up at him for a few minutes before looking down, almost seeming guilty. "I..." She sighs and looks up at him. "I miss us, Jongin, and now seeing how you are now..."

 

"You mean, going to school. 'Behaving'," Kai sighs. He takes a deep breath again and closes his eyes for a moment. He shakes his head. “Sorry, Krystal. I don’t think so.”

 

"W-why?"

 

Kai takes his beer and is about to take a drink but stops. He takes a long look at it before handing it to her. “Here, you’ll need this.” He grabs his coat from nearby before turning away. “Just...take care, alright?” He makes his way down the stairs and to the bar. He sets down a couple of dollars and motions to the bartender. “Just get the girl upstairs whatever she orders.” The employe nods and takes the money before continuing to clean glasses. He jumps a little when Taemin suddenly appears beside him, wrapping an arm around his shoulder.

 

"That was so cool, Jongie!"

 

"Don't you dare call me that," Kai warns and Taemin just laughs.

 

He gasps. “That was so mature! You didn’t get angry!”

 

"Please, stop."

 

"He said please!" Taemin dramatically puts his hands on his chest and pretends to wail. “My baby!”

 

Kai rolls his eyes, heading towards the door. "Okay, I'm leaving."

 

"Where are you going?" Taemin laughs, grabbing his arm, twirling him around. "We might as well dance while we’re here,” He hums happily. “Let’s get Sehun! Call him or something.”

 

"He didn’t tell you?” Kai asks and Taemin shrugs. “He’s at the airport.”

 

"What's he doing there?"

 

Kai pulls on his coat as he walks. "He's saying goodbye to Tao before he returns to China with Kris.”

 

Taemin stops Kai by the door, his grip on Kai’s arm a little too tight. Kai looks at his best friend's suddenly angry expression. “Wait, wait. Sehun is at the airport, saying goodbye to the man who broke his heart?”

 

"Yes?"

 

"And he's alone?"

 

"Yeah, probably.”

 

Taemin stares at him for a moment. "You are so ing stupid," He groans. He grabs his car keys and practically drags Kai outside. "Get in, ," He orders angrily, getting into the driver's seat.

 

Kai slowly gets in the front seat, still confused. “Okay, but why are you so mad?”

 

Taemin slaps the steering wheel with a ring-clad hand. “Kai! Sehun is all alone in that ing place, left with his own aftermath of emotions. That means...no one is there to comfort him!” He starts the car aggressively. “Do you remember what happened to him the LAST time Tao left him?! Idiot! !”

 

Kai stares out the front window and narrows his eyes. Tao had left him all that time ago, at the same airport. He had left him crying and in ruins, pushing him to try and kill himself. He wonders what it must be like now; with Tao’s boyfriend. He won’t kiss Sehun goodbye, can’t promise to him. Not this. Kai groans and falls back against his seat before slapping his forehead. “!” He feels so damn stupid. Idiot! Sehun, I'm so ing stupid.



 

As soon as they park, both Kai and Taemin hurry out of the car and toward the entrance. They push through the crowd of people in front of the airport doors; Kai tells people to get the out of his way and for once, Taemin doesn’t apologize for him. He shoves people out of his way, not really caring when they stop to glare at him. He calmly walks through the doors and into the large, white building. Honestly, he's never been in an airport before; had never moved anywhere before. Luckily, however, Taemin has been in one a few times and was able to easily lead them.

.

"I'm gonna be honest here," Kai stops. "I have no idea where they'd be at."

 

Taemin rolls his eyes and grabs his arm. "Yeah well, it's a relatively small airport anyway; so there's not too many gates.”

 

"Small? This place is huge!”

 

"Not really, it departs from here and lands at a much bigger airport so they can board a second plane or get off.”

 

"What a waste of money," Kai scoffs.

 

"Come on, all of the gates are up the stairs."

 

Taemin pulls Kai along, running up the escalators instead of waiting. They make their way through a couple of crowds; neither of them cares if they bump into people. It's a bit of a walk before they get there, but when they do finally get to the gates, they both stop. Kai sighs when he notices Tao and Kris walking away from Sehun, leaving him alone. Taemin stops Kai before he can go to him."I think you should go...alone."

 

"What?" Kai looks over at Sehun. He has his head down, and he seems to be looking at something.

 

"He likes you the most," Taemin shrugs. "Be gentle, okay?”

 

Kai shakes his head as he begins to head over to him. "Be gentle," He mocks. "Whatever." He slowly makes his way over, Sehun’s back facing him. His shoulders begin to suddenly shake. Kai stops a few feet from him, feeling awkward about the whole thing. “Sehun?” He calls out. Sehun slowly turns, clenching something in his hands. His face wet with tears and his eyes glued to the item he clutches onto. Sehun looks up and stares at Kai through tears, unable to say anything audible through his incoherent babbling. Sehun goes to some benches and sits down, pushing his back up against the wooden seat. Kai hesitantly goes to him, glancing over at a concerned Taemin. Giving Kai a questioning look, he just shakes his head, and motions to the exit. After the stylist leaves, Kai sits down beside Sehun, remaining silent.

 

After a minute, Sehun hands him the piece of paper, a few drops of tears causing a few places to be damp. Kai furrows his brow when he sees Tao’s neat handwriting; Sehun’s name on the front. Kai his lips nervously as he opens it, pulling a cream-colored paper out. When he unfolds it and reads it contents, he suddenly wants to beat Tao senseless. A wedding invitation. He leans his head back and curses, tossing the invitation to the side.

 

"K-Kai," Sehun stutters and Kai doesn't hesitate to wrap his arms around him, pulling him close.

 

"He’s ing dead- I'm going to kill him."

 

"N-no."

 

"Yep. Next time that piece of steps his foot down here, I’m going to beat the out of him.”

 

"Jongin..." Sehun whispers through his sobbing.

 

"It'll be seriously painful."

 

"Please."

 

Kai puts a hand on Sehun's head as if it'd help protect him from the pain somehow. He feels kind of stupid, just sitting there, holding Sehun as he cries. He almost wants to tell him to stop crying over that piece of , but when Sehun grabs onto Kai's shirt tightly and buries his face into his chest; he feels horrible for even letting him come alone. He should have just come with him in the first place, regardless of whatever Sehun had said. Sehun convinced him to let him go alone, that he could handle this by himself. That he was going to just take a taxi and he'd be okay.

 

Kai feels so stupid. Of course, Sehun can’t handle it, not like this. And to add insult to injury, the ing invitation.

 

Anger and guilt boils through his blood, tight pain in his chest twists. His stomach feels like a rock as if it’s about to drop and rip out of his body. Tao’s damn lucky Kai wasn't there- he was lucky Sehun convinced him not to go. Because he would have beaten his face in.

 

Kai suddenly frowns. "Hey, ."

 

Sehun sniffs. "What?"

 

"You had me stay behind on perhaps, huh?" Kai asks. "You knew I'd get mad."

 

Sehun stays still for a few minutes, finally nodding his head. "I'm sorry."

 

Kai lets out a sigh and looks out the large windows. He watches as planes take off and sour into the sky. He leans his head on Sehun’s and closes his eyes. “Idiot.”

 

Sehun sniffs and clings tighter. “I know.”