Thirty-Nine: Spring

Selene 6.23
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Chapter Thirty-Nine: Spring

 

What is this?

It was like a deja vu. Everything looked and felt peculiarly familiar. Naeun found herself sitting on that same spot on that same table. The only difference was the clothes she was wearing. Instead of a floral dress and a pink sweater, she was glamorously dressed in a white gown. Rather than loosely hanging over her shoulder, her hair was neatly arranged into an elegant updo. Hanging on her neck was her birthday gift from Taemin. On her wrists were the bracelets he gave her.

She glanced around, pausing for a second to admire the ocean below. There was no doubt. This was the exact place where she sat as she waited for Taemin’s arrival. She had been here too many times in the last couple of years, not to recognize the place. After they parted ways, she would often come here to reminisce whenever she misses him. This island truly holds a special place in her heart.

What am I doing here?

Judging by the weather and the fresh floral scent dancing with the air, she could tell that spring had come. The corners of her lips raised. Despite winter being one of her favorite seasons, she had always looked forward to spring. She just loved what it signified. It held a promise of hope, growth, and new beginnings after the cold and harsh winter season.

Still baffled by everything, her eyes landed on the ocean below. As she watched the waves crashing against the rocks, she fell into deep thought. 

Am I waiting supposed to be waiting for something?

True enough, she heard the sound of shoes coming her way. The footsteps were slow and steady, just like their owner’s patient yet resolute attitude.

He’s here. 

She sat unmoving, contemplating what to do. Should she look back, or stay still and wait?

“Naeun-ah.” 

Her heartbeats quickened. The soft and unhurried voice, no doubt, belonged to him. As she was about to look back, everything abruptly turned white. Blinded by the sudden brightness, she forced her eyes shut. 

What is happening?

For a moment, everything went still. Her body suddenly felt light. It was as if she were floating on air. 

What was going to happen next? She had no clue. Gradually getting anxious, she waited and waited until she heard his voice. This time, he sounded hoarse and weary.

Naeun-ah. He called. Don’t be scared. I’m here. 

Then she felt something soft touch her forehead. It stayed there for a couple of seconds before it was gone. 

Slowly, she forced her heavy eyelids open only to shut them close due to the brightness of the room. After a second, she opened her eyes and blinked, allowing her hazy vision to adjust. 

“You’re awake!” 

Turning her head to the side, she was met by Taemin’s worried face. 

“How do you feel? Are you hurting somewhere?” he asked, his eyes quickly scanning her from head to toe. He was sitting on a chair next to the bed where she was on. 

She shook her head. “I’m okay,” she answered softly. 

She felt fine.  She was not feeling any pain or discomfort. On the contrary, she felt energized and rested. Why did he look so worried?

Using her elbows, she pushed herself into a sitting position. A look of amusement crossed her face when he swiftly moved to assist her. Why was he suddenly acting like she would break any second? 

Ignoring his reaction, she looked around and realized they were at his place. She frowned. Something was not right. 

What is going on? She inhaled deeply and closed her eyes, trying to get a good grasp of the situation. 

Then, at lightning’s speed, the events of the day suddenly dawned on her. She stiffened. With horror-stricken eyes, she looked at Taemin. 

“T-There was a m-man,” she stuttered. “He was chasing me, and I was… I was…” She couldn’t finish her sentence for her words turned into a sob. “ I was scared!” she cried.

Not missing a beat, Taemin pulled her in his embrace. His warm and comforting presence immediately cocooned her. 

“Shhh. It’s okay. You’re safe now,” he soothed, gently rubbing her back.

With tears streaming down her cheeks, she wrapped her arms around his neck and clung to him for comfort. “I was so scared!” she repeated. “I was really really scared!”

“You’re safe now. I’m here.” He whispered, hugging her tightly. 

It took about an hour until she was done crying her heart out. When she stopped, her eyes were swollen, and her nose was red. She was a mess. However, Taemin never left her side. He cradled her as if she were a baby, sitting on his lap. 

“What happened?” she asked, finally ready to know the flow of events. The last thing she remembered was that she was inside her bathroom.

“You passed out,” he answered.

“I did?”

He nodded, then proceeded to narrate the events that she missed. Apparently, someone saw the stranger chasing after her and alerted the security of the building. It was very fortunate that the security team arrived a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter