Thirty-four: Next Time

Selene 6.23
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Chapter Thirty-four: Next Time

 

“You knew?” She didn’t beat around the bush and started asking questions the moment he sat in front of her.

He nodded. 

“B-But how?” she stuttered, bewilderment evident in her voice.

He took in her confused expression before beginning to explain. “The day we left Korea, I was supposed to pick you up from your place. As I was about to step out from my car, I saw you leaving in a rush so I followed you. After you guys talked, confronted her. She tried to lie in the beginning, but then eventually told me everything in the end.”

She stared at him in disbelief. “So you knew all this time?”

He gave her another nod. “I’m sorry, I didn’t tell you,” he said softly. “Since that evening we had that party for Kibum hyung, I noticed that something was wrong. I’m sorry.” 

If she remembered correctly, that was the day she got Ji woo’s first letter. It was the one with the picture.

“Don’t,” she said and shook her head. “Don’t apologize. You didn’t do anything wrong.” She gave him a smile. “And thank you.”

Whenever something was bothering her, not once did he force her to talk about it. He would silently stay by her side, always ready to engage whenever his assistance was needed.

Touched by his actions, she got up and leaned forward to give him a quick kiss. Caught off guard, he froze for a second. When he recovered, he quickly scanned the room if someone saw them. 

She grinned. He must have been really surprised, because she was not really into public displays of attention in the past. Maybe the fact that they were being careful had something to do with it. 

“How did you know we were here?” she asked after a staff came by to get Taemin’s order.

Unable to wait for his, Taemin grabbed her coffee and took a sip from it. “I was the one who told her we were here,” he explained. “She wanted to give the pictures and apologize to you in person. Her parents were sending her to study overseas.”

She nodded, slowly digesting all this new information. “I see.” 

‘I don’t really call that a formal apology,’ she thought, ‘but I’ll take it.’ 

Ji woo seemed like a stubborn person. It was probably not easy for her to give a formal apology. 

“As to how she got your number, I don’t know,” he added.

She snatched her cup back from him before proceeding to speak. “She tricked our company staff,” she simply said and took a sip from her cup.

Taemin raised an eyebrow, smiling in amusement as he spoke. “As for that K guy, I already talked to your manager-”

“Our manager is involved too?!” She almost spat out her coffee. 

‘Just how many people were involved in this?!’

“Your manager, SHINee’s manager and I were the only ones who knew,” he explained slowly. “We already filed a case against him before we left. As of now, the authorities are still looking for him. I believe he was in hiding.”

All she could do was nod and take in all that he was saying. It was slightly overwhelming that she was beginning to have a headache.

“Are you okay?” he asked, his voice was laced with concern. He probably noticed her slight discomfort.

“It’s just a minor headache,” she answered. “I think I’m just tired from…” her voice trailed when she realized what she was about to say. It was a good thing she was able to stop herself.

“Oh.” He murmured.

Her cheeks heated. Although she managed to contain her words, he seemed to have guessed what she was about to say. 

He cleared his throat before he spoke. “Let’s go back to the villa so you can rest,” he said.

He didn’t bother to wait for his coffee. He asked for the bill and quickly paid for their orders. Then he assisted her to get up from her seat and led her out. 

As they headed back to their villa, his left arm was protectively wrapped around her shoulders.

 

Back in their villa, an hour had already passed yet Naeun still could not sleep. Her body was tired, but her mind was wide awake. Everything that she learned today were keeping her thoughts occupied. 

From her room, she could hear the sound of gentle rain

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter