Sixteen: Wake Up Call

Selene 6.23
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Chapter Sixteen: Wake Up Call

 

 

When she was ready and about to leave, she heard someone mention her name.

 

“It was a good thing Taemin oppa did not date that Son Naeun.” It was the person seated behind her who spoke.

 

“I know,” another person spoke. “I was devastated when they were casted in that show. They don’t suit each other.”

 

A third person joined the conversation. “Me, too.” The person added. “It’s been years already but I will never approve of them. Who does she think she is by constantly sticking by oppa’s side? She’s not good enough for him. I hate her.”

 

Her heart skipped a beat. Slowly, she felt a sinking feeling growing within her. She would be lying if she claimed she was fine after hearing those harsh words. Their comments were like daggers poking at her heart.

 

“I hate how she’s always acting like she’s so innocent. I bet she’s not,” the last person who spoke claimed.

 

The other two replied with approving remarks. They casually carried on with their conversation, while she woodenly sat and listened.

 

“Taemin oppa can be stupid sometimes. I don’t get why he liked a person like her.”

 

“Right?” Another replied. “She’s not even that pretty! I bet she had plastic surgery done on her face.”

 

A sense of dread rolled through her stomach. Her sinking feeling was beginning to overwhelm her. She realized that hearing the unpleasant comments in person versus reading them online had different impacts. Hearing them in person contained a heavier blow.

 

Slowly, her confidence was beginning to dwindle. Am I really not good enough?

 

She was suddenly reminded of the invisible distance between Taemin and her. It was the pure jealousy and hatred of fans and anti-fans altogether that created that distance.

 

Over the years, she made great efforts to improve herself and be better in hopes of making that distance smaller. However, she now realized that no matter how hard she tried, her efforts would never be enough. They would never accept them. They would never accept her.

 

She gripped the strap of her saddlebag tightly. Would it be better if we really stay away from each other?

 

A series of negative emotions threatened to take over her, and her mind was beginning to entertain destructive thoughts. She felt as if she was slowly being pulled into an abyss. It was scaring her.

 

She looked down at her fisted hands and realized that her whole body was trembling. She took a series of deep breaths to try to calm herself down.

 

After a while, when she stopped trembling, she stood up and walked away. She no longer wanted to listen to those hurtful words. They would do her no good.

 

She took out her phone and booked a ride. She needed to go home. She could not stay there much longer. Her thoughts and emotions were a mess. She needed to leave to fully calm herself down.

 

She tried to go through the main entrance. However, it was difficult because the place was crowded. In the end, she decided to leave through the backdoors.

 

The moment she stepped into the backstage hallway, she took off her mask. She felt as if it was suffocating her.

 

As she walked along the hallway, she was greeted by several people. Some even attempted to engage her in a conversation. However, she ignored them all. She wore an impassive face as she walked past them.

 

She kept walking without a care of her surroundings until someone caught her arm.

 

She heard Taemin’s soft voic

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter