The Man With Dreams

Connected Through Harmony
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

2 weeks before the Banquet

 

 


 

Once upon a time, there was a boy with big dreams, dreams to become a composer or a singer, as long as music was involved. His mother always told him in a motherly affectioned kind of way that he got a gift from the heavens and could use it to bless others. 



Unfortunately, he never managed to do something with his gift as life made a sudden turn for the worse. His mother passed away from a sickness that could not be tended therefore his Aunt Beatrice had to take him in.



Beatrice was the owner of an Orphanage and instead of taking care of him or loving him like any other family member, he was neglected and ordered around to take care of the other children.



He was required to make food, tidy after the kids, take care of their health and not only that but Beatrice wanted him to clean the whole house so future parents wanting to adopt a child would not turn away at the sight of a filthy environment.



It was all about the money for Beatrice and he could live with that, at least he had a roof over his head though he was an adult now, and wanted to see more of the world, experience other things that he was sure were out there.



The only problem was that Beatrice didn't give him pocket money and the job as a bartender on the side in a small tavern owned by a kind old man, did not give him enough to purchase a small cottage in their tiny village namely Arcadia.



Life was looking dark and somber for the young man, the only thing giving him joy in life lately was his puppy Roo, his passion for music and the children at the Orphanage.



He would often improve himself by singing his own invented songs in front of the children who seemed to love it and always begged for an encore. Occasionally the children even harmonized with him, making him feel a little bit more alive until he came face to face with Aunt Beatrice and the illusion would crumble.


 

 

 


The sunrise was one hour away from rising into the heavenly sky yet the Orphanage was silent except for a contented sigh from a blond young man. Jonghyun snuggled in his thin blankets as he lay in front of the dying embers of the hearth in the living room.



Yesterday at the end of the day, the attic had seemed to dark and cold to spend the night in given that it had been appointed as his room.



The blond hummed softly in his sleep, his face felt warm, the tips of his fingers felt warm and even his toes. Slowly he returned out of his dream world and was thrown back into a harsh reality where he wasn't making music and only a guy in an Orphanage as small bell jingled indicating that Beatrice was awake and making her way downstairs.



Jonghyun had hung up the bells himself, to be aware whenever she was awake and he needed to start his chores like making breakfast or clean after Beatrice.



The small man rolled out of his nest of blankets and groaned when a stiff neck greeted him right away. He yawned and stretched before standing up and making his way to the kitchen, rubbing his eyes and tiredly. He nearly crashed into his Aunt who strolled into the living room, fully dressed and seemingly annoyed. ''I thought breakfast was ready.''



Beatrice looked like your typical old woman, blondish grey hair low in a bun and round glasses on the tip of her nose. She was tall and slender with stern wrinkles at the edges of her eyes and lips.

 

Jonghyun bowed and hurriedly walked past her into the kitchen but she followed him. ''I'm sorry Aunt, I will be at it right away!'' He apologized and quickly grabbed a stepping stool to reach for the plates in a cabinet above the sink before rummaging into the refrigerator for her favorite Raspberry Jam.



Beatrice rolled her eyes and sat down at the small table, crossing one leg over the other she busied herself with a book. ''You're so troublesome boy, you should know by now that 6 am is the time when I get out of bed!'' She complained and glanced up at the boy when he dropped a plate with two slices of bread and a thick coat of jam on top of it.


 

He placed another plate on the other side of the table with one slice of bread and blueberry jam. Beatrice tilted her head to the side in wonder, ''Who is that for? I wasn't aware of any....guests.'' she questioned as she stared from the plate to the young man.


 

Jonghyun squirmed slightly and offered her a little smile. ''I-it's my breakfast...'' he began shyly, feeling a little hopeful that his Aunt wouldn't mind spending time with him for a bit. His hands fiddled nervously with the two sizes too big sleeping tunic hanging from his slim frame. 

 

Beatrice gasped softly and touched his wrist slightly, ''Oh my dear boy, I don't want to waste your time with my old chit chattering. Wouldn't you prefer to eat when all your chores are done?''



The small man lowered his head in disappointment as a lump formed in his throat. He wasn't clueless as to figure out that this was pretty much a rejection.



His Aunt frowned when she studied his face, black dusty spots were dotted on his usually pale skin. ''Jonghyun, what is that on your face?'' The blond blinked confused and pressed slender fingers against his cheekbones and jaw but when he pulled them away, there was nothing to see. ''A-aunt?''



Beatrice reached out a hand and grabbed his chin roughly, taking a closer look before letting go with a huff. ''That's ash, seriously, why are you always so messy? Do clean yourself up.'' She muttered in disgust, not even sparing him a second glance as she returned to her book and her breakfast.



Jonghyun worried his bottom lip between his teeth and looked down, scurrying away at once. He felt upset that this was another day in his life where Beatrice saw him more like a bothersome human being than her lovable nephew.



''Also please be so kind and pass by the market, the kids have been complaining about pancakes!'' She bellowed after him when he climbed up the stairs to make his way to the attic. Most of the children were still asleep so he didn't have to worry about them yet.



The small man cleaned himself up and did his morning chores like dumping the hamper full with clothing in a basin filled with water and scrubbing them clean, he hung them outside right after before opening every window on the bottom floor and eating his breakfast.



People could usually enter the Market at 7 am so he had less than an hour to do his chores before getting the groceries.

 




Jonghyun panted as he ran through a deserted part of the village and dove into an alley just as hurried footsteps came closer and voices grew over his own harsh breathing. He cradled the old leather bag close to his chest, filled with all kinds of fruit and cheap meat from the market.



''I know you're here somewhere short-stuff! Show yourself!'' a voice Jonghyun knew all to well bounced off the walls causing him to scramble further into the dark, dirty alley. His heart was beating anxiously as he tried to escape but the alley had a dead end.

 

'' ,'' Jonghyun whispered in frustration as his eyes darted around for another way out but he could only backtrack and try to evade his bullies or hide and pray they wouldn't see him.


 

The blond dove behind a few dumpsters, pulling a face at the smell but hid his face away, making himself as tiny as possible. He covered his mouth as footsteps came closer and he heard them talk just outside of the alleyway.



''Are you sure he went this way?'' A surprisingly tender voice asked as a set of footsteps echoed along the walls when they stepped further into the alley. ''Yes you idiot, you can see his blond hair from a mile away, he ran into this direction.'' The other's timber like voice huffed, as if what his friend asked had been an insult.


 

Jonghyun held his breath and closed his eyes as the footsteps came closer, praying to every god, deity or whatever higher being out there that the bullies didn't see him cower behind a few smelly dumpsters.



''I'm not sure he's here, why would one want to hide in such a filthy area?'' the same tender voice grumbled in disgust but Jonghyun almost yelped as the dumpsters were roughly kicked away and even some of its content landed on him. ''Because garbage belongs in the trash.'' Kangin sneered with a smug smile as Nickhun snickered at the sight of a banana peel on the smaller man's blond head of hair.


 

''What the hell Kangin, you're going too far!'' Jonghyun growled as he roughly brushed some old noodles from his chest and nearly gagged when it made a squishy sound whilst hitting the pavement.


 

The smaller man made sure the content in his leather bag wasn't touched since it was food for the children in the Orphanage and not only that but Beatrice will be pissed if he came home empty-handed. He gasped as a strong hand snatched him by the collar and lifted him only to throw him back into the dumpsters with so much force that he could feel the pain vibrate through his spine.


 

Jonghyun hissed and squeezed his eyes shut, curling in a small ball, trying to force the pain away. ''I'm never going too far, if anything, I'm holding myself back from hurting your pretty .'' Kangin glared down at him and seized his wrist to force the bag out of his tightly grasped fingers just to check the contents inside and his lips when the smell of fresh food penetrated his nostrils.

 

Jonghyun groaned as he picked himself up and made an attempt to get it back, ''Give that back! You know that the children need it and Beatrice will have our heads.'' Nickhun pushed him away from Kangin as the broader male rummaged through the leather bag and yanked a small pouch out of it and popped some candy in his mouth.

 


''Correction that old hag will have your head, We both know I am her favorite.'' The broader man mocked as he chewed and watched on in satisfaction as Jonghyun took anot

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter