Best Is Yet To Come

Connected Through Harmony
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


A week passed with them exploring more of the Kingdom. Jinki introduced him to the wonders of the magical forest with passive pixies and the way Elves went on their hunts, the elves were very agile and it almost looked like they flew through the trees.

Furthermore, Jonghyun visited Baekhyun, now with Jinki in tow, and saw progress in controlling his healing-powers. His nightmares were lesser and the happiness blossomed up once again. 

Everyone was impressed with the blond when he sang for Shindong, healing his leg. That now-familiar golden glow came from Jonghyun, cradling the man’s leg and making it all better.

Eventually, the day came that they had to get back to Valmerys as duties were waiting for them back at home. Jonghyun was honestly relieved to go back, he missed Roo and the others but his puppy the most, she had been with him for so long that she was a part of him.

He couldn’t wait to have her in his arms, to hear her adorable barks, little paws dancing on the floor and have her resting in his lap while he worked on his music.

The day came that they bid their farewells to the Elves, Jinki to the Royal family, and Jonghyun to General Chanyeol, Baekhyun, and the Fairies.

‘’Remember what I told you, meditate before bed to calm the mind and focus on your inner-energy when you heal,’’ Baekhyun instructed shortly with a full-out smile that Jonghyun saw for the first time.

Jonghyun nodded and happily shook his hand, ‘’I will, thank you for everything.’’ He replied genuinely as he was truly relieved that he had control over his abilities, not every aspect of it but he was sure Ryeowook knew a thing or two and could pick up where Baekhyun’s training left off. 

Next was Chanyeol and to Jonghyun’s shock, the man gave him a gentle hug, ‘’Navaer Muindor.’’ Patting his back, Jonghyun grinned and pulled away to look at his face, ‘’No Nogoth this time?’’

Chanyeol blinked, ‘’No why?’’

Jonghyun smirked evilly, ‘’Because I know what it means.’’ The dark eyes of the general roamed over his frame as he mirrored his smirk, ‘’I’m not wrong though, you are as small as a dwarf.’’ 


Jonghyun gawked back at him before stomping his foot, ‘’Minho and you are such a pain in my ! I’m not small alright!’’ He whined while he hit Chanyeol in the arm. Said man burst out laughing and ruffled his hair, ‘’Someday you will find someone smaller than you.’’

‘’Yeah...probably my long lost twin sister or brother.’’ Jonghyun mumbled in sarcasm, Chanyeol tilted his head to the side, ‘’You have one?’’

The blond pouted, ‘’No.’’ He squeaked.

To Jonghyun’s relief, the fairies flew up to him with their tiny saddened faces and the topic about his height was shoved under the rug. Lisa sat in his hair like usual and the others perched themselves on his shoulders, ‘’Are you really leaving?’’ Jisoo asked with a small pout.

Jonghyun smiled fondly, his wide smile making his eyes smaller and his cheeks full. ‘’Don’t be sad, I will visit again or you can visit me!’’ His tone was full of excitement as he thought of introducing the girls to the children at the Orphanage, just like Jonghyun they were unable to discover the world so why not bring the world to them?

‘’Oooh, an adventure!’’ Jennie’s eyes had little stars in them and the others agreed that it was a great idea to visit someday.

Jonghyun grinned and turned when there was a tap on his shoulder. ‘’Hi Jonghyun,’’ Jessica spoke kindly, she was just done with her goodbye’s to Jinki, the Crown Prince had moved on to talk with her sister next. ‘’It’s sad to see you all go but we will see you all again in a brighter time alright?’’

He nodded, he wasn’t sure how to talk to her now that he knew about her past with Jinki. There was sympathy for the fact that she could never have his love in return and had to fight the rejection for years.

Was it selfish that Jonghyun felt possessive over his lover despite Jessica not getting in between them?


Jonghyun sought for words then looked up with a smile, ‘’Definitely in a brighter time!’’ He agreed, there were many things Ebralia had to offer and he hasn’t seen all of it yet. The elf returned his grin and took his hand between her own.

‘’Good luck Mellon-nin with your future.’’ She said with a melodic voice. ‘’May Jinki and you have a successful courting-period and happy times thereafter.’’

‘’Thanks, good luck as well…’’ Jonghyun gently murmured, their eyes met for a moment. The blond couldn’t help himself as he leaned in with a stern gaze. ‘’Jinki is mine.’’
 

Jessica gasped lightly and when Jonghyun retreated it was like he never whispered those possessive words as innocent puppy eyes fluttered at her and a small sassy grin was playing on his lips. She nodded slightly, not daring to mess around with someone who wasn’t hers.

It didn’t take long until they were all on their horses, waving goodbye to the elves before setting out to Valmerys. The sisters waved until they were out of sight and everyone went back inside. Jessica gazed down at her sister, wondering what happened to Krystal in all this.

‘’I see you were bluffing all this time.’’

Krystal offered her a surprised look before laughing lightly, ‘’About what Muinthel?’’ Jessica rolled her eyes with a giggle, ‘’You know what I’m talking about...’’

The younger pushed her older sister lightly, ‘’You were right…’’ She admitted what had Jessica make a noise out of wonder. ‘’I see now how childish my idea was and that only chaos would ensue,’’ Krystal commented, scratching the back of her in embarrassment for her ridiculous ideas.

Jessica’s eyebrow rose high on her forehead, not believing her ears, her sister had seen that expression many times in her life and she rolled her shoulders as if readying herself for a speech.

‘’It’s obvious how in love those two are...I didn’t realize that until it was right in my face.’’ Her voice was low as she made her way back to the castle with her big sister trailing behind her.

‘’Breaking them up might as well be me ripping out their souls and I don’t think any of us would be happy being with someone we don’t love...especially the boys.’’

Jessica nodded at this, it was like her sister had grown up in such a short time and was finally speaking sense. ‘’That’s right…’’ She smiled and hugged her sister, ‘’You have grown up Krystal!’’ Both of them giggled while messing around with each other.

Krystal placed a hand on her older sister’s shoulder, a soft look on her face. ‘’There are plenty of guys around who might be our true One...let’s wait together.’’

The older’s eyes softened as an equally soft smile graced her lips, ‘’Yes...together.’’ As sisters, they were the strongest when they were not apart and they just had to wait for their luck to come around the corner. 

 


Jinki and the others had set up camp a few hours later on their way back to Valmerys. Kibum took over the reins and began to split the groups up with tasks.

Jonghyun felt like doing something more...thrilling...than setting up a tent so after Kibum sent Minho away to start a fire and the guards to patrol the area for possible danger in the dark, Jonghyun tapped him on the shoulder, smiling as Kibum’s attention shifted to him.

‘’Let me hunt for our food.’’

Blinking back at him, Kibum was a bit surprised but not against it and nodded. ‘’Alright...go on ahead.’’ 


Jonghyun’s stomach fluttered as he heard this and he dashed back to his little bagpack to receive his bow and arrows he had gotten as a gift from Chanyeol. ‘’Don’t worry Kibum, I will get us a rich dinner.’’ He flashed a cheerful grin.

Smirking back, Kibum waved him off, ‘’I like to see you try.’’ Jonghyun grinned, whirling around to set off into the forest but halted at the sight of Jinki. 

‘’I’m coming with you,’’ Jinki said bluntly, a sword already in his hand. A disappointing feeling bubbled up in Jonghyun’s chest, apparently, Jinki still didn’t trust him to go out alone? His smile faded, ‘’Jinki…’’ Jonghyun sighed, ‘’I can take care of myself.’’ 


Tilting his head to the side, Jinki chuckled warmly, ‘’I know...I meant as a hunting partner, I want to see my beautiful future husband in action.’’ He declared with a big grin and a wink.

Jonghyun didn’t expect to hear this but it had him gapping at the Crown Prince for a full minute before smirking and crooking his finger naughtily at Jinki. ‘’Fine then, see if you can keep up with me old man!’’

Jinki growled playfully as Jonghyun vanished between the trees and chased after him, leaving Kibum, Taemin, and Minho behind with laughter and expecting a big dinner when they got back, which ended up being a delicious big deer and two rabbits.

 

 


A few days later and with the darkened sky over them, the boys finally arrived at the gates of the royal grounds in Valmerys. There was a longing in Jonghyun's chest and it was almost painful when he saw the tip of the castle appear over the trees.

He was bouncing on his horse by the time they were welcomed back by Jinki’s parents. ‘’Welcome back everyone.’’ The Queen spread out her arms with a relieved look in her eyes.

The King bowed to his sons who returned the gesture, ‘’I take it everything went well with the Elves?’’ Taemin was about to open his mouth but the Queen held up her hand, ‘’Let them rest my dear!’’ She nudged her husband, ‘’How about we converse over tea hmmm?’’ The brothers nodded eagerly, their backs were sore, it would be heavenly to sit down. 

Someone else, on the other hand, was pouting in the back. ‘’I want to see my puppy,’’ Jonghyun complained, arms folding and his eyes wandering around as if said puppy would suddenly run out of the bushes.

‘’Just wait a little longer Jonghyun-’’ Kibum placed a hand on his shoulder after massaging his sore hips from sitting on that horse all day. ‘’-the Queen wants us for tea and we are polite to accept her offer.’’

Kicking the dirt, Jonghyun grunted as he kept his eyes on the palace, ‘’I’m going if it takes too long.’’ Kibum shook his head, the Queen meanwhile strolled over to Kibum, Minho, him and the guards, bowing to them and pulling Jonghyun into an embrace. ‘’It’s good to see you again my boy!’’ She chirped, bubbly as ever, her long green dress accenting her bright brown eyes.

‘’Hello Eun-mi!’’ Jonghyun beamed and just like every other time the Queen saw him after a while, she pinched his cheeks while her eyes vanished in cute crescents similar to Jinki’s, ‘’I hope my Jinki was taking good care of you into that different world?’’

She ran her fingers through his bangs, brushing them away from his forehead whilst Jonghyun blinked then grinned shyly and without hesitation said

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter